Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Honda slashed the price of the Shadow to undercut the Street 750. The Shadow is dull, as dirt, though. Also if you've paid anywhere near MSRP on a Suzuki cruiser in ages, after tripping over at least three years of identical NOS bikes on the floor to get to the dealer's table, you're a sucker.

On the other hand a Vulcan 900 Custom MSRPs at 8.5k (which means it sells for a good bit less) and while it's pushing it for a newbie bike I think it blows the doors off the Street 750 in looks, F&F and style. Kind of a shame Kawi doesn't make anything smaller.

The Bonneville also comes in at like $7.6k (also usually discounted) and anyone looking for a good laid-back streetbike and not a babby Harley should include those in their crosshop.

The real problem with the Street is that at least so far they're only marketing them in the matte-black SOA look, which is arguably the worst possible look for a factory Harley whose usual selling points are miles of chrome and deep, detailed paint schemes. Supposedly there are already more stylish ones out there, just not being advertised yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Marketing a bike that looks like it came off SOA makes sense given the demographics HD is probably shooting for with those bikes.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Honestly, a lot more Harley guys have been going for the blacked out look (me, for example).

My big issue with the Street series is the questionable build quality. One of the early reviews I read made it sound pretty shoddy compared to my Iron 883 or any of the higher-end HD bikes. I get that it's supposed to be Babbies First Harley or something, but I'd be worried about it turning people off to the brand if what I heard was true.

Also, they are loving tiny, even compared to my Sportster.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Akion posted:

Honestly, a lot more Harley guys have been going for the blacked out look (me, for example).

My big issue with the Street series is the questionable build quality. One of the early reviews I read made it sound pretty shoddy compared to my Iron 883 or any of the higher-end HD bikes. I get that it's supposed to be Babbies First Harley or something, but I'd be worried about it turning people off to the brand if what I heard was true.

Also, they are loving tiny, even compared to my Sportster.

Yeah the rideapart Q&A with an MSF intstructor who rode one made it seem really lovely

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Snowdens Secret posted:

The real problem with the Street is that at least so far they're only marketing them in the matte-black SOA look, which is arguably the worst possible look for a factory Harley whose usual selling points are miles of chrome and deep, detailed paint schemes. Supposedly there are already more stylish ones out there, just not being advertised yet.

Harley's been marketing blacked out bikes for awhile now, and they looks tits, IMO, I'm not a big fan of chrome, and I think the traditional Harley guys will stick with the chromed-to-hell electras and road kings.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Elviscat posted:

Harley's been marketing blacked out bikes for awhile now, and they looks tits, IMO, I'm not a big fan of chrome, and I think the traditional Harley guys will stick with the chromed-to-hell electras and road kings.

The Nightster is the first Harley I've seen that I liked. Just needs the covers painted, no idea why they powdercoated them grey. Might get one when I'm older and fatter.

FishTaco
May 28, 2014
I like a bike that you can ride, repeat, and maybe wash every three weeks if you feel like it.

Try this with something like a 2011 Street Bob, like I did, and you'll find that the paint and finishes, particularly the brushed aluminum,are very maintenance intensive and finicky.

Water spots on triple clamps that take hours to remove with Harley's own products are a pain in the rear end. Chrome is easy. You can't say that about anything else that isn't blacked out.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It's a bike, not a telescope lens.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Seriously. Water spots? :pwn:

If you're taking the bike to a concours d'elegance I guess you get a pass, but otherwise drat. You know it's a motor vehicle, right? Goes on dirty dusty roads? Full of oil?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

This conversation reminds me I should probably wash my bike, its been about 2 months now :/

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Shimrod posted:

This conversation reminds me I should probably wash my bike, its been about 2 months now :/

Same. It's not supposed to rain again for a while, and I'm starting to forget what it looked like when it was pretty and clean.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 6, 2014

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Elviscat posted:

My '01 Ultra has the "blacked" motor, the PO was a big chrome person, I've been looking at putting a set black Vance and Hines or a set of the black Screaming Eagle pipe sets on it in addition to going black on some other parts to balance it out a bit.

All the Japanese Cruisers were chromed out for the longest time, although they seem to have started doing the "blacked out" look as well.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I dont think I've washed my bikes since late last summer. If ducati had a Hague I'd probably be sitting in it

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Not counting the mirrors and windscreen, I've only washed my bike a couple of times in the past couple years. It just doesn't really get that dirty? At least the outwardly visible parts, and being mostly silver probably helps.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Unless you count cleaning/lubing the chain or air filter, I adamantly refuse to wash my dual sport on principle.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I wash my bike every week or two, on Sunday because it's chore day. Turn on the radio outside and go clean the chain and hose the bike down with a little soap and water, and rinse the bike. Dry the bike and use this Honda pro cleaner spray I got at the dealership to make it shiny and get any remaining bugs. I get a loooot of bugs and after a couple weeks it gets a layer of dust all over it.

Last time I washed it there was this huge black scuff on my left fairing. I was on the freeway and this piece of rubber or plastic, I don't even know, shot out from under a car and struck me in the knee. It didn't feel good, but I didn't realize until I washed it the bike actually got hit. Scuff wiped off thankfully.

I've been hit in the face (visor) and now the knee by a piece of rubber. Is this normal on the freeway? :mad:

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
The liquid cooled HDs are pretty limited, it's basically a TINY radiator hidden under the tank mainly to cool the exhaust valves because they get really hot, similar to BMW's new liquid cooled GS series.

I've always been partial to the Yamaha Roadstar series of cruisers, the 1600/1700cc air cooled models for some reason, never owned or ridden one before but I kinda like them.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Schroeder91 posted:

I've been hit in the face (visor) and now the knee by a piece of rubber. Is this normal on the freeway? :mad:

Welcome to summer riding. Tractor trailers tend to blow a lot of tires during the summer due to under inflated tires and the hot weather. This leaves pieces of tire carcasses all over the place and free for any car to kick up.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

infraboy posted:

The liquid cooled HDs are pretty limited, it's basically a TINY radiator hidden under the tank mainly to cool the exhaust valves because they get really hot, similar to BMW's new liquid cooled GS series.

I've always been partial to the Yamaha Roadstar series of cruisers, the 1600/1700cc air cooled models for some reason, never owned or ridden one before but I kinda like them.

But you can see the fairly normal sized radiator right there in front of the frame?

And on the liquid cooled super ultra fatglide bullshit models they have two gigantic leg fairing things disguising the radiators? What planet are you on?

Water pump, thermostat, overflow bottle, two fans. Seems like a pretty comprehensive cooling system to me; cooling the heads only isn't a new idea nor is it particularly 'limited', Porsche managed it pretty well thirty years ago on the 959.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

ReelBigLizard posted:

FYI If it fits an RC8 it should fit the 690 SMC, the Calipers are interchangeable between the two. I bet the SMC is just too obscure a model for them to bother.

Sadly, the problem is all the locks they (Roadlok) make are for the right caliper. The SMC, only having a left caliper, can't use a Roadlok. :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Those new little harleys are still made in :911: I assume?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

So that settles it, they're pretty cool and I'm not dumb for liking them.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Hell of a back protector!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

slidebite posted:

Those new little harleys are still made in :911: I assume?

US market's Streets will be built in Kansas City and the foreign markets' will be from Bawal in India.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Tanbo posted:

The Nightster is the first Harley I've seen that I liked. Just needs the covers painted, no idea why they powdercoated them grey. Might get one when I'm older and fatter.

Honestly, you can get an Iron 883 that already has the Blacked-out engine, then just get a 1200 kit ($1k from HD) or a 1250 kit ($650 aftermarket) for less than a Nightster will cost. Plus an 883 with the 1200/1250 kit will eat a stock 1200 for lunch because it has shorter gearing. I was going to get a Nightster until I realized I could spend $6500 on my Iron with 500 miles on it, and another $650 for a 1250 kit and go faster and not have grey engine cases.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I just looked up a dyno chart for an 883 converted to a 1200 and laughed. Harley guys are loving crazy (no offense intended to SA harley bro's).

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I just looked up a dyno chart for an 883 converted to a 1200 and laughed. Harley guys are loving crazy (no offense intended to SA harley bro's).

Oh yeah, they are by no means built for speed. My plan is to build out my Iron as my "poo poo around town" bike, and then get something fun and fast for a track bike. I like my Sportster for around town, cause it's quick enough to get out of it's own way, but not so fast that I'm likely to kill myself or get a stack of tickets.

I mean, you could build a VROD to at least put down decent power numbers, but it's still a heavy-rear end bike that'll get its poo poo packed in by a modern 600 Supersport.

Akion fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 6, 2014

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My XB12 earns me enough tickets, I don't think I need more power.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Tryin this again
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=a1165391f73899454

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

clutchpuck posted:

My XB12 earns me enough tickets, I don't think I need more power.

Would you say that you're a "Benihana Chef on the XB12"?

That seems easy enough.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

captainOrbital posted:

Would you say that you're a "Benihana Chef on the XB12"?

Way over my head.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Schroeder91 posted:

I wash my bike every week or two, on Sunday because it's chore day.

"What do you mean honey, we DO share chores. You do the bathroom and kitchen, I do the bike and the garage."

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

clutchpuck posted:

Way over my head.

XB12 always reminds me of this one Beastie Boys song about how he's a "Benihana Chef on the SP12" which I think is a drum machine and I think that he's cutting a drum machine to pieces above his stove while onlookers are amazed and then they eat it.

I can only assume.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

captainOrbital posted:

XB12 always reminds me of this one Beastie Boys song about how he's a "Benihana Chef on the SP12" which I think is a drum machine and I think that he's cutting a drum machine to pieces above his stove while onlookers are amazed and then they eat it.

I can only assume.

I feel like we know each other so much better now.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I'm getting so close to pulling off wheelies on command. I've had two accidental wheelies in my 3 years of riding all on the 919. One was a power wheelie at like 50 MPH that scared the hell out of me. The other was a clutch up in first that shot up QUICK. Went back down hard and scared me from trying again for a while.

Today I've been practicing clutching up in 2nd at 15-25 MPH. I got it up a few times but couldn't hold them for more than a second or two. You've really gotta be high up in the rev range to pull it off and it's difficult getting that without getting slightly scared. But I'm getting there.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

clutchpuck posted:

US market's Streets will be built in Kansas City and the foreign markets' will be from Bawal in India.

I think the US market ones are assembled in KC from parts shipped over from India, right?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I think the US market ones are assembled in KC from parts shipped over from India, right?

Correct.

FishTaco
May 28, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

Seriously. Water spots? :pwn:

If you're taking the bike to a concours d'elegance I guess you get a pass, but otherwise drat. You know it's a motor vehicle, right? Goes on dirty dusty roads? Full of oil?

I think most people would agree that the way it looks from the factory should be reasonably attainable with minimal cleaning. I've never been one of those types to spend more time cleaning than riding, but HD motorcycles seem to need that. The Japanese bikes I had could be washed whenever the hell you wanted and they would look fine, although most of them did have fairings.

FishTaco
May 28, 2014

astrollinthepork posted:

I'm getting so close to pulling off wheelies on command. I've had two accidental wheelies in my 3 years of riding all on the 919. One was a power wheelie at like 50 MPH that scared the hell out of me. The other was a clutch up in first that shot up QUICK. Went back down hard and scared me from trying again for a while.

Today I've been practicing clutching up in 2nd at 15-25 MPH. I got it up a few times but couldn't hold them for more than a second or two. You've really gotta be high up in the rev range to pull it off and it's difficult getting that without getting slightly scared. But I'm getting there.

My recommendation would be for you to give it the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

FishTaco posted:

My recommendation would be for you to give it the gently caress up.
Counter-recommendation: Get that bitch to 12 o'clock.