Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I want to know if I'm doing something wrong with backflushing my Profitec Pro 400. I feel like I do everything as normal - put a spoon of cafiza in the blind basket, put the filter in, run and release it a few times and then rinse it out. My problem is that every time I do this it seems to result in the lever squeaking until I disassemble and re-lubricate the cam with silicone grease. Is it expected that I'd have to re-lubricate every time I backflush?

If you make more coffee the oils from the coffee will lube the lever, just pull a few shots it should go back to normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

For speedy decent coffee I’ll always recommend the clever dripper. It’s almost foolproof and pretty quick, has a benefit over a v60 or chemex that you don’t have to be there physically pouring during the brew time.

This thing reminds me of the tea brewer I have from years ago before Teavana closed down. Now it's got me wondering if the clever could pull double duty as a tea infuser as well. I imagine the paper filters could gently caress up the delicate flavors unless it's really carefully pre wet, though.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Sweeper posted:

If you make more coffee the oils from the coffee will lube the lever, just pull a few shots it should go back to normal

It's this. It's easy enough to treat that as part of your routine when you back flush anyway though. I was recommended Molykote 111 for it by someone who knows more than me.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If anyone is on the fence, this is a great price for Flair - ebay shows most "sold" listings at $220-250 shipped. I messaged him and shipping is from Colorado.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Someone get that, it's a fuckin steal

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

amenenema posted:

Both are good, but the flaws are:
- clever has to have the right size cup to sit on to open the valve
- switch has a protruding portion into where it sits on a cup and therefore gets wet if you brew the cup to capacity, leading to drips when you remove it

I know these are minor, but they annoy me so FWIW...

does the clever require a strange/unusual diameter? one of my favourite jugs for solo drinking is slightly wider than a 250ml cup, and I think tall enough for at least 300 if not more.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

SlinkyMink posted:

This thing reminds me of the tea brewer I have from years ago before Teavana closed down. Now it's got me wondering if the clever could pull double duty as a tea infuser as well. I imagine the paper filters could gently caress up the delicate flavors unless it's really carefully pre wet, though.

No idea about the paper filter but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I tried brewing whole leaf sencha in my aeropress one time and it made the most horrid, astringent brew I've ever had.

I don't know if the steep time was too long or if the act of plunging the tea through the filter substantially increased extraction, or what but it was baaaad.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Someone get that, it's a fuckin steal

Yeah, the ebay price comparisons don't include the second portafilter either.

Only thing I'd ask is if the house is smoke free. Rubber like that can grab onto foul odors pretty bad - I bought a used hand grinder that I needed to leave out in the sun for several days before it smelled okay to gift to my friend.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

ulvir posted:

does the clever require a strange/unusual diameter? one of my favourite jugs for solo drinking is slightly wider than a 250ml cup, and I think tall enough for at least 300 if not more.

No, it just doesn't work on mugs with a large diameter bowl. I'd imagine something of the size you describe would be well within it's size range

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I got the enormous Aeropress for when I want to fill my 450-ish ml Zojirushi to the brim, and it's fine. A bit unwieldy compared to the original, but works just the same. I hope my local places have started stocking the bigger filters by the time I run out though.

It comes with a hexagonal carafe (plastic) which also works with the original Aeropress. But no paper holder, boo.

I'm also loving my Ode Gen 2, a big upgrade from the Encore. Plus it breaks the laws of physics and consistently gives me a bit more coffee out than I put in!

(actually I think my scales just tare differently when loaded up with a mug compared to my bean bowl)

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

If anyone is on the fence, this is a great price for Flair - ebay shows most "sold" listings at $220-250 shipped. I messaged him and shipping is from Colorado.

Not to be a jerk, but a screenshot of some random forum doesn’t really help me buy this. I’d totally get it, although it’s probably sold by now.

Is it Facebook?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah, FB. Asking him now if it's still available. Looks like you have PMs, so I'll send you more info there if he says yes

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I got a used flair pro 1 and had some fun with it but wouldn't be against selling.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ulvir posted:

as long as the outer diameter of your mug is smaller than 4 inches (~101.2 mm) you're good

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Flair Pro 1 or 2 is tempting, and I like that it’s portable, but it not having a normal sized portafilter is a bit annoying.

I’m guessing it was easier/cheaper to engineer with a thinner water chamber.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I think it was designed with portability / low counter space first. The Flair 58 is the version that gives a good deal of that up since it needs a much longer lever for a large surface area

Worth noting, some trip reports of those who went from Pro group heads to the 58 say it's harder to get consistent. One hypothesis is that a smaller diameter gives a taller puck aspect ratio, so more resistance, so you can go coarser grind.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Corb3t posted:

The Flair Pro 1 or 2 is tempting, and I like that it’s portable, but it not having a normal sized portafilter is a bit annoying.

I’m guessing it was easier/cheaper to engineer with a thinner water chamber.

I have no experience with a traditional size portafilter but I've heard the theory that a narrower basket with a deeper fill might be better since it'd reduce the chance of channeling??

Where did 58mm as the standard come from anyway?

Edit - ^^^ what BrianBoitano said ^^^

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm enjoying the Flair classic but I gotta say I wasn't prepared for how challenging it is. I have to have the grind exactly right and tamp it exactly right to get a consistent pull. My Capresso grinder, which I'm told can't do a good espresso grind, makes a fine enough grind at the lowest setting that the shot simply won't go, even with a lighter tamp. My Timemore C2 hand grinder takes nearly 5 minutes straight of grinding on a fine enough setting to get a good shot (which is a good one, but I can't be bothered most days). The Capresso at 2.5 clicks off the finest setting with a careful even firm-moderately firm tamp makes the best shot I can do. I made my wife a cappuccino the other day and didn't tell her what it was and got an unsolicited compliment!

I have not yet gotten a good shot from a lighter roast, but it turns mediocre dark beans into a surprisingly decent drink.

The other big thing that helps my consistency is rigorous temperature control. Keeping the brew chamber in the boiling kettle until the moment of filling it and pouring boiling water into the cup a bit before pulling the shot is key.

But some days I get just complete failures. Oh well, I still have the aeropress, French press, moka pot, etc etc

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Note on Flair - try for 4 bar or 6 bar shots. You have such moment to moment control that you can handle a coarser grind while noticing and healing channels (by backing off to 1-2 bar for a fraction of a second) which just isn't possible in most machines.

4-6 bar shots are naturally much more forgiving since the coarser grind extracts more evenly, has less proclivity to channel, and if you accidentally go too fine then you just pull it at 7-8 bar. With a 9 bar target, however, you can't easily or safely push past a choked puck.

E: this is my experience for medium and light roast FWIW

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 7, 2024

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I really need to get a pressure gauge piston. I go for time, feel, and consistency of stream since that's all I have to work with at the moment. I backed off buying coffee stuff because my wife keeps quoting that onion or hard times headline, "local man convinced elaborate coffee routine makes it taste better" at me every time she sees me doing it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I’d imagine most coffee nerds actually enjoy their rituals & routines, but it does get quite silly at how elaborate they can get. The great thing about coffee is that you can get really good results with affordable gear.

I actually have a friend who recently got into espresso after going on a trip to Italy and receiving a $3500 ECM Synchronika and $850 Eureka Libra grinder as a wedding gift and he hasn’t even bothered getting a scale for pulling shots by weight. I know a couple other people with pricy super automatic machines that they end up using them for drip most of the time. Not everybody turns everything they blow a bunch of money on into a hobby :cry:

Lance is continuing to kill it over on YouTube, he compared the extraction of using a shaker vs various wdts with a df64:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ivwCm95nLc

He also did a video covering what gear he uses to typically make a drink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUc3lvF8mHM

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 7, 2024

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I really need to get a pressure gauge piston. I go for time, feel, and consistency of stream since that's all I have to work with at the moment. I backed off buying coffee stuff because my wife keeps quoting that onion or hard times headline, "local man convinced elaborate coffee routine makes it taste better" at me every time she sees me doing it.

If you have a bathroom scale, you can get a rough feel for it. Just look up the diameter of your puck, the length of your handle (handles for a Robot), and use a formula to figure it out.

I just did that for me - using ChatGPT 4.0 and two prompts:
6 bar of pressure applied to the area of a circle with a 45mm diameter, converted to pounds
>> 215.6 lbs
I am applying x pounds of force a distance 19 cm from the fulcrum of a lever. 2.5cm from the fulcrum, I need 215.6 pounds. What should x be?
>> 28.3 lbs

Based on my grip location and measurements for a Flair Pro 2. Since I have an engineering fetish, I wanted to know how measurement error might impact this:
Please calculate the range of answers I would get for the above two calculations if my circle might be between 44mm and 46mm in diameter, the force applied distance might be between 18 and 22cm, and the close distance to the fulcrum might be between 2.25 and 2.75
>> 21 lb to 34 lb

60% variability is quite a lot, the difference between 4.3 bar and 7 bar. Still much better than 9 bar, and I think I was overly cautious with the those input uncertainty ranges, so I think the original 28.3 lbs is pretty close. I'll test it tomorrow - I just tried to fake a blind basket using aluminum foil but water found its path of least resistance and sprayed everywhere :argh:

Turns out, Flair themself suggest the bathroom scale method using 30-40 lbs, and using my measurements those would generate 6-8 bar of pressure.

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Pixel pusher and game maker.
I've tabled the idea for picking up an espresso machine (for now), and have been enjoying drip coffee from Moccamaster very much.

I've been looking into picking up a v60, but I'm worried that it might be redundant with my Moccamaster? I've watched a few videos from Hoffmann showing off his techniques for the v60, as well as reading about them on the forums. I've never tried pour-over before – this would be the first time. :)

Would it be worth it? I use a Baratza Encore as my sole grinder, and was thinking about getting this…

Plastic v60 at Hoffman's suggestion:
https://www.amazon.com/Hario-V60-St...00JJIOJ7E&psc=1

…and this kettle:
https://www.amazon.com/Greater-Good...0CC1HR5YH&psc=1

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

What impact will climate change have on coffee beans?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

KinkyJohn posted:

What impact will climate change have on coffee beans?

Mostly bad. Specialty coffee grows best at high altitudes and cooler temperatures in the tropics; the main impact of warming climate is simply to shrink the available land in the ideal temperature and altitude bands. Changing rainfall patterns and the spread of a fungus, coffee rust, also negatively impact yields. It’s not catastrophic; lower quality coffees can be grown at lower altitudes and warmer temperatures, and there are some alternative subspecies of coffee which aren’t currently grown commercially, but which might be more resilient to climate change. James Hoffman has a video tasting some of these, and some other videos talking about the topic.

In the long run, the good stuff is likely to become more expensive and harder to come by. Imo it makes sense to buy specialty coffee if you care about coffee long-term; specialty roasters tend to buy from small farmers who care about quality and are in a position to implement sustainable practices, while the big commercial roasters are probably buying from commercial farms that can’t see past the next quarter.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

bredfrown posted:

I've tabled the idea for picking up an espresso machine (for now), and have been enjoying drip coffee from Moccamaster very much.

I've been looking into picking up a v60, but I'm worried that it might be redundant with my Moccamaster? I've watched a few videos from Hoffmann showing off his techniques for the v60, as well as reading about them on the forums. I've never tried pour-over before – this would be the first time. :)

Would it be worth it? I use a Baratza Encore as my sole grinder, and was thinking about getting this…

Plastic v60 at Hoffman's suggestion:
https://www.amazon.com/Hario-V60-St...00JJIOJ7E&psc=1

…and this kettle:
https://www.amazon.com/Greater-Good...0CC1HR5YH&psc=1

Pour over to pour over - here's your redundancy.

Manual to automatic is where you differ. It's a pretty basic investment and a satisfying activity to pour your own, but nice to say "gently caress this, take it moccamaster" when you don't.

Do you want to have the activity or not? That's basically the crux.

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Pixel pusher and game maker.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Pour over to pour over - here's your redundancy.

Manual to automatic is where you differ. It's a pretty basic investment and a satisfying activity to pour your own, but nice to say "gently caress this, take it moccamaster" when you don't.

Do you want to have the activity or not? That's basically the crux.

The activity itself looks very enjoyable to me, and I love watching the coffee bloom along with the other nuances, so I think I'll give it a shot! ;)
At the very least, I can save it for the weekends if I'm too busy, or the afteroon.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I get expensive local coffee but then do basically nothing with it except soak it in ice water in a seive and live off coldbrew

Between my wife and I we go through about 16 tsp of coffee a day. Delicious.

We have a decent espresso machine and myriad pour over and drip options, but cold brew is so loving easy. And good. And I've gotten used to drinking cold coffee in Vermont in 10F weather on the way to go skiing so I think I cracked the temperature code.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

bredfrown posted:

The activity itself looks very enjoyable to me, and I love watching the coffee bloom along with the other nuances, so I think I'll give it a shot! ;)
At the very least, I can save it for the weekends if I'm too busy, or the afteroon.

Best part is you're pouring right over it as it releases the aroma.
:kiss:

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Cabbages and Kings posted:

We have a decent espresso machine

I've never really given cold brew a shot. What's a good starter rig?

When you say "decent espresso machine", do you mean a Decent Espresso Machine or just a decent espresso machine.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Bandire posted:

I started with a bowl, a sieve, and a cloth.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Bandire posted:

100g of course ground in a 32oz mason jar for 12hrs in the fridge. Pour through a paper filter (e.g. a kalita/v60) and dilute to your desired strength. I don't understand cold brew "setups" beyond container plus water/coffee then filtered?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I use the Hario cold brew jug now and honestly it's not much better.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BrianBoitano posted:

I am applying x pounds of force a distance 19 cm from the fulcrum of a lever. 2.5cm from the fulcrum, I need 215.6 pounds. What should x be?
>> 28.3 lbs
<snip>
Turns out, Flair themself suggest the bathroom scale method using 30-40 lbs, and using my measurements those would generate 6-8 bar of pressure.

Trip report! 6 bar measured 30.4 lbs, tare away 3 lbs for the setup and I get 27.4 lbs for 6 bar. Pretty happy with my prior estimate :science:

Nice trick for manual lever owners without pressure gauges :)

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Could I do that in reverse, i.e., standing on the scale and subtracting from my weight?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

What’s the deal with people like Lance hating the flavor of cold brew? Something about the low temp brewing process not extracting as many flavor compounds?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Could I do that in reverse, i.e., standing on the scale and subtracting from my weight?

My mechanical engineering degree says this should be fine as long as you're only touching the handle. Pay no heed to how long it's been since I had an engineering job :ninja:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Corb3t posted:

What’s the deal with people like Lance hating the flavor of cold brew? Something about the low temp brewing process not extracting as many flavor compounds?

I'm sure extraction is a factor, but oxidation is probably the worst thing about it. Coffee geeks generally prefer brewing a ristretto or other concentrated brew then diluting with ice cubes.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Corb3t posted:

Cold brew is generally roasty tasting with high particle size. It doesn’t really do a good job of extracting the acidic flavors most people are looking for in 3rd wave coffee as those light roasts and acidic flavors tend to need higher temperatures. That’s why I don’t really prefer it, and I imagine it’s similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Yeah it's the "smooth" coffee that most people are after, but that smoothness is also pretty boring. And I've never gotten any sweetness from cold brew.

Made as concentrate and then used for iced milk drinks though? Hell yeah!