Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Israeli cabinet has approved a hostage deal -
https://www.timesofisrael.com/cabinet-approves-deal-for-return-of-50-hostages-in-exchange-for-multi-day-ceasefire/
Headline seems to be 50 live Israeli hostages for some number of Palestinian prisoners (exact number unclear, I've seen other sources say 150 but a PA official is apparently saying more) during a 4-day ceasefire potentially beginning on Thursday.

Letting the aid agencies actually get in and help people without being bombed will save a huge number of lives. Obviously not a long-term fix though since as it stands Israel is picking up where they left off after 4 days.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
yeah I'm slightly annoyed about the literally fake news side here

it's bad enough he was high up in any capacity, no need to blatantly lie about it

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I can't get a complete picture, but it looks like the NSC doesn't have an overarching "director", and that the confusion comes from the fact that most staff working for the NSC have the "director" title...and that the hiring announcement from Gotham referred to him as "former Director of the National Security Council."

edit: some more googling reveals a probably insubstantial conflict between Seldowitz and the OIG over cost reimbursements that went up to certiorari level; I say "irrelevant" because it's from the early 2000s. From other old press releases, etc, it appears Seldowitz had a full several-decade career at State (which did include at least a stint as a diplomat to Israel) and wasn't meaningfully connected to any particular administration.

edit 2: His primary role as a staffer was some sort of senior involvement in the 1995 Dayton Agreement in Bosnia/Serbia. He was deputy chief of mission to Latvia in ~ 2008.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 22, 2023

Corambis
Feb 14, 2023

Kalit posted:

That was under Bush. And not the Director of the NSC.

I was unaware that Bush was in office 2009-11. Per his cached linkedin:

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Discendo Vox posted:

I can't get a complete picture, but it looks like the NSC doesn't have an overarching "director", and that the confusion comes from the fact that most staff working for the NSC have the "director" title...and that the hiring announcement from Gotham referred to him as "former Director of the National Security Council."

Maybe I'm mistaking my terms, I guess I interpreted the National Security Advisor as the director of the NSC. According to the org chart, they are in charge of the NSC. Sorry if it's not officially the "director" title.

Corambis posted:

Hmm...well early 2000s definitely isn't 2009. But, as your screenshot notes, he was at the NSC while Obama was in office (at least in 2009). However, it appeared he was the acting director for South Asia at that time, which is a much different title than what Binder was trying to claim.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 22, 2023

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Corambis posted:

"Financhial representative"

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The Israeli cabinet has approved a hostage deal -
https://www.timesofisrael.com/cabinet-approves-deal-for-return-of-50-hostages-in-exchange-for-multi-day-ceasefire/
Headline seems to be 50 live Israeli hostages for some number of Palestinian prisoners (exact number unclear, I've seen other sources say 150 but a PA official is apparently saying more) during a 4-day ceasefire potentially beginning on Thursday.

Letting the aid agencies actually get in and help people without being bombed will save a huge number of lives. Obviously not a long-term fix though since as it stands Israel is picking up where they left off after 4 days.

It appears they have offered to extend the ceasefire by an additional day for the release of more hostages. 10 hostages = 1 more day.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7033147

MSF reported that today two of their doctors were killed by Israeli strikes while working in a hospital in northern Gaza. I'm guessing that might amp up international pressure even further.

Goosed it. fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 22, 2023

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Does the deal involve Israel retreating from the Strip, or at least the hospitals? From a military standpoint it seems unwise to accept a temporary ceasefire that lets the invading army fortify the hospitals & schools they're occupying.

That said, releasing Palestinian hostages is ostensibly what Hamas' goal was in taking the Israeli hostages (alongside publicly beating the border wall & retribution for the Aqsa raid), and they've put out three variants of hostage deal offers throughout the siege, so maybe they'll accept it. The gradual release of hostages makes Israel less likely to break the ceasefire.

As an aside:
https://twitter.com/politico/status/1727072321255424288
You know, personally, if I didnt want noncombatants getting targeted by an army bombing noncombatants, I wouldn't send the army bombing noncombatants details & coordinates for noncombatants. State department's just built different I guess.

This is a sentence you'd get from a very blunt satire:

quote:

The Biden administration has been providing Israel with the location of humanitarian groups in Gaza for weeks to prevent strikes against their facilities. But Israel has continued to hit such sites.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 22, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I believe Hamas has already agreed to this deal and was waiting on Israel to approve it. It definitely doesn't seem like Israel will be withdrawing its troops, although the Sky news tracker thinks there's some possibility that they agreed to stop surveillance flights for 6 hours a day. It's true that releasing hostages without revealing positions may prove to be a challenge under those circumstances.

The prisoner release is the one thing Hamas could point to as a victory, although it's doubtful if the women and children who lived in non-Gaza parts of Palestine are likely to help them in any material way (a cynic might suggest that Israel wrongfully arrested at least some of them just to have fodder for future negotiations). It's certainly a lot worse for them than the previous deal they were pushing for which would've seen Israel release all of its prisoners, which would've included people actually useful to Hamas.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

I believe Hamas has already agreed to this deal and was waiting on Israel to approve it. It definitely doesn't seem like Israel will be withdrawing its troops, although the Sky news tracker thinks there's some possibility that they agreed to stop surveillance flights for 6 hours a day. It's true that releasing hostages without revealing positions may prove to be a challenge under those circumstances.

The prisoner release is the one thing Hamas could point to as a victory, although it's doubtful if the women and children who lived in non-Gaza parts of Palestine are likely to help them in any material way (a cynic might suggest that Israel wrongfully arrested at least some of them just to have fodder for future negotiations). It's certainly a lot worse for them than the previous deal they were pushing for which would've seen Israel release all of its prisoners, which would've included people actually useful to Hamas.

Are you serious?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yes, I am serious when I say that the women and children who lived in the West Bank and East Jerusalem before being arrested (which seems to be the subset of prisoners Israel is releasing) were very unlikely to have been Hamas agents. And that some of the other prisoners who could've been released under previous iterations of the deal most likely were (keeping in mind that the current chief of Hamas in Gaza was released in a similar deal in 2011).

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 22, 2023

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

quote:

Hamas Movement: We announce, with God Almighty’s help and success, that we have reached a humanitarian truce agreement (temporary ceasefire) for a period of four days, with persistent and appreciated Qatari and Egyptian efforts, according to which:
A ceasefire by both parties, a cessation of all military actions by the occupation army in all areas of the Gaza Strip, and a cessation of the movement of its military vehicles penetrating into the Gaza Strip.

- Bringing hundreds of trucks of humanitarian, relief, medical and fuel aid into all areas of the Gaza Strip, without exception, in the north and sout

- The release of 50 women and children of the occupation detainees under the age of 19, in exchange for the release of 150 women and children of our people from the occupation prisons under the age of 19, all according to seniority.

- Stopping air traffic in the south for four days.

- Stopping air traffic in the North for 6 hours a day, from 10:00 am until 4:00 pm.

During the truce period, the occupation is committed not to attack or arrest anyone in all areas of the Gaza Strip.

Seems to mostly be upsides for Hamas; grateful Palestinians, no bombing of South Gaza, 6 hours without aerial surveillance (I'm skeptical Israel holds to this, probably the first thing to break), Gaza gets an opportunity for the aid trucks to reinforce the strip from starvation tactics, and it only involves a quarter of their hostages.

My biggest worry is on international momentum; 4 days is plenty in these shambolic times for the public to lose interest, especially if their news sources are complicit in working towards that goal.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
So maybe a dumb question, but why are we referring to the people Hamas captured as hostages instead of prisoners? Have they threatened to kill the people? Are the Palestinians taken by the IDF hostages?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Yes, I am serious when I say that the women and children who lived in the West Bank and East Jerusalem before being arrested (which seems to be the subset of prisoners Israel is releasing) were very unlikely to have been Hamas agents. And that some of the other prisoners who could've been released under previous iterations of the deal most likely were (keeping in mind that the current chief of Hamas in Gaza was released in a similar deal in 2011).

Then you weren't serious when you said that women aren't useful to the resistance.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

So maybe a dumb question, but why are we referring to the people Hamas captured as hostages instead of prisoners? Have they threatened to kill the people? Are the Palestinians taken by the IDF hostages?

They were kidnapped and are being detained in order to demand concessions; you don't have to threaten to kill someone in order for them to be a hostage.

The Palestinians detained in Israel are also hostages, but since Israel is a recognized state actor, they get to indefinitely detain people without charges and have them reported as prisoners.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The other issue I see with the deal from Hamas's perspective is like... what's to stop the IDF from just arresting the prisoners again once the ceasefire is over? Or any other random Palestinians in the occupied territories they feel like using as leverage? Kindof feels like a weird reversal where Hamas is potentially encouraging hostage-taking by Israel

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

They're being held captive for the purpose of securing a deal, that makes them hostages regardless of whether there's a threat to kill them.

I think the IDF takes some prisoners to make deals, so those are hostages, and others to interrogate/disable from fighting, and those aren't hostages.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Civilized Fishbot posted:

They're being held captive for the purpose of securing a deal, that makes them hostages regardless of whether there's a threat to kill them.

I think the IDF takes some prisoners to make deals, so those are hostages, and others to interrogate/disable from fighting, and those aren't hostages.

This makes sense, thanks!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The other issue I see with the deal from Hamas's perspective is like... what's to stop the IDF from just arresting the prisoners again once the ceasefire is over? Or any other random Palestinians in the occupied territories they feel like using as leverage? Kindof feels like a weird reversal where Hamas is potentially encouraging hostage-taking by Israel

Hamas doesn't have a lot of leverage right now. Israel has blown past all the exit ramps and there's not much left to bargain over.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
After a big meeting with a bunch of Arab foreign ministers in Beijing, China appears to be placing itself in Palestine's corner. It's possible that this may have influenced the declaration of a ceasefire, and might lead to more substantial protection for Palestine/Gaza in the medium-to-long term. Remember that they also played a key role in ending the Saudi genocide in Yemen, so this could potentially be a really big deal.

https://x.com/ranaayyub/status/1727109957554786483?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

In the first couple of days after Oct 7th, Hamas did in fact threaten to kill the hostages if Israel didn't stop their airstrikes, though they never actually carried out that threat.

Palestinians taken by the IDF are mostly at least nominally suspected of crimes or of working for anti-Israel factions. A lot of the hostages taken by Hamas were just random civilians the militants happened to run across on Oct 7th.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Neurolimal posted:

Seems to mostly be upsides for Hamas; grateful Palestinians, no bombing of South Gaza, 6 hours without aerial surveillance (I'm skeptical Israel holds to this, probably the first thing to break), Gaza gets an opportunity for the aid trucks to reinforce the strip from starvation tactics, and it only involves a quarter of their hostages.

My biggest worry is on international momentum; 4 days is plenty in these shambolic times for the public to lose interest, especially if their news sources are complicit in working towards that goal.

We have to pray that this holds and that the coming days see successful work to extend the ceasefire. I'm not very hopeful about that, but at the very least this will bring some scant relief to Gaza, and that's a lot better than the siege and bombing continuing unabated instead. Huge credit due to Qatar and Egypt, clearly, I wouldn't have taken the job of trying to make Israel drink some calm the gently caress down juice for any money.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Ms Adequate posted:

We have to pray that this holds and that the coming days see successful work to extend the ceasefire. I'm not very hopeful about that, but at the very least this will bring some scant relief to Gaza, and that's a lot better than the siege and bombing continuing unabated instead. Huge credit due to Qatar and Egypt, clearly, I wouldn't have taken the job of trying to make Israel drink some calm the gently caress down juice for any money.

Momentum's been a big part of this too, Netanyahu riding the wave of popular rage among Israelis both to punish the Palestinians and to keep it from being directed at him instead. It's unlikely the Israeli right loses its appetite for bombing Palestinians while Palestinians continue to exist, but the "we can't stop now!" of the last month and a half of killing fades the moment it does stop. Doesn't guarantee that it won't continue or keep its intensity later, but that depends whether the anti-war people maintain enough pressure and take advantage of the time.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

Would it matter how complicit news sources are when so many people get their news from social media anyway? Serious question.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Main Paineframe posted:

In the first couple of days after Oct 7th, Hamas did in fact threaten to kill the hostages if Israel didn't stop their airstrikes, though they never actually carried out that threat.

Palestinians taken by the IDF are mostly at least nominally suspected of crimes or of working for anti-Israel factions. A lot of the hostages taken by Hamas were just random civilians the militants happened to run across on Oct 7th.

The IDF frequently arrests people (sorry, "detains" them) in the West Bank on spurious charges and keeps them jailed for months/years without trial or letting them speak to a lawyer. I'm not sure if any of the people being exchanged are in this category, but I'm sure you know how frequent it is so I wouldn't put it past the IDF to just arrest some randoms to trade.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Miftan posted:

The IDF frequently arrests people (sorry, "detains" them) in the West Bank on spurious charges and keeps them jailed for months/years without trial or letting them speak to a lawyer. I'm not sure if any of the people being exchanged are in this category, but I'm sure you know how frequent it is so I wouldn't put it past the IDF to just arrest some randoms to trade.

I'd wager money that the vast majority they release will be this category.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Darth Walrus posted:

After a big meeting with a bunch of Arab foreign ministers in Beijing, China appears to be placing itself in Palestine's corner. It's possible that this may have influenced the declaration of a ceasefire, and might lead to more substantial protection for Palestine/Gaza in the medium-to-long term. Remember that they also played a key role in ending the Saudi genocide in Yemen, so this could potentially be a really big deal.

https://x.com/ranaayyub/status/1727109957554786483?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q
Can’t tell you how stupid it is that we are losing the moral battle to China

But that’s exactly what can happen when you give a client state a total blank check and also an unlimited supply of bombs

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

FlamingLiberal posted:

But that’s exactly what can happen when you give a client state a total blank check and also an unlimited supply of bombs

The US has literally never been in a winning or even favourable position in any 'moral battle' against China.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
Neuroliminal made that good longish post about how popular sentiment was looking in Israel (with most supporting a ceasefire to free hostages and such). What do people think the domestic Israeli reaction is going to look like?

I seem to remember maybe a week or two back people posting polling indicating that Likud had tanked in voting intention, so I'm sort of wondering if the ceasefire will be the moment the knives come out. The hardest of hardliners have been pushing "no rest until Gaza is completely destroyed", and those are folks Bibi needs to keep a majority as I understand it. If Likud is really as down as those polls have indicated, it seems quite possible that every other party could gain vote share from an election.

Maybe that's all wishful thinking though. As an American I have no particular insight beyond what people post here, so I'm curious if any of the folks who actually live there have more insight

Edit: helpfully, it seems Wikipedia has a handy chart of the polling. Based on that, it seems that Gantz's party is really the only party majorly shifted in the polls, with only one party in the actual coalition polling above their earlier numbers. Given that, maybe it is less likely that elections would be called, especially given how little time has passed since the last ones and how many in a row had to happen before that.

Still, I am curious to see how the hostage negotiations get reported on in the news, what the families of the hostages say, and how that impacts protests and polling.

I'm sure Netanyahu wants to milk the crisis for legitimacy as long as possible to avoid the consequences of his court bullshit and the popularity drop from Oct 7, but there are still other actors that can mess that up for him

BougieBitch fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 22, 2023

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The US has literally never been in a winning or even favourable position in any 'moral battle'

ftfy

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The hostage deal is believed to have been passed by the government 35-3, with only the far-right party Otzma Yehudit voting against. Even Religious Zionism (also far-right) apparently voted in favour, persuaded that the war to eliminate Hamas would proceed as planned after the ceasefire. There'll definitely be some pressure from the far-right but the overwhelming political consensus seems to be that this is a good deal.

It should be said that the fall of Netanyahu (completely possible even while the war is ongoing, he is despised) should not be seen as something that will lead to the war ending - his likely replacements will be as or even more hardline on Gaza.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Miftan posted:

While they're not always given due process or knowledge of the charges against them, Israel mostly doesn't arrest Palestinians for literally no reason whatsoever.

The reason is often something stupidly authoritarian, like "being too pro-Palestine on social media", "being related to a suspected militant", or "showing up at anti-Israel protests too many times", but it's not like Israel is just raiding random neighborhoods and arresting everyone they catch for the hell of it. Unlike Hamas, they don't have any particular need to have prisoners just for the sake of having prisoners.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

They want to keep the heat off while they ethnically cleans their own Muslim population.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Most have been convicted by military courts w/o legal jurisdiction, often without being informed of the charges against them. These courts have a 99% conviction rate. Or else they're just detained indefinitely for no reason because some IDF freak didn't like the way they looked. People are there for throwing stones (20 year sentence) or social media posts or secret evidence of secret connections to terrorism.

They're hostages of the Israeli state to ensure the compliance of the Palestinian people, at least in the West Bank.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

It saddens me to think there are people in the west that think China is winning morally when China is just as much an apartheid state as Israel.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Family Values posted:

It saddens me to think there are people in the west that think China is winning morally when China is just as much an apartheid state as Israel.
I should clarify that they are giving themselves PR cover for their own crimes, which the international community is not going to do anything about

But now they get to look like the ‘reasonable’ power because they are opposed to a very public genocide

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

False narrative, imo. The Civil War and WWII, the US was plainly less evil than the states it was fighting.

I'd also say the Revolutionary War had proto-USA acting as a revolutionary agent in an admirable way (both the Marxist sense that it moved history forward and set the stage for workers' revolutions, and the Eugene Devs/Langston Hughes sense that the ideals of the revolution were themselves liberatory).

And when the US chose to stand up to South Africa, as infrequently as it happened, those were "moral battles" where the US was clearly in the right.

I think just like how cops sometimes arrest or kill people who really do pose a threat to public safety, the American empire sometimes confronts states which really are committing repugnant crimes.

Family Values posted:

Can you elaborate on this?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

China has been doing a quiet ethnic cleansing in the western part of the country where there have been traditionally been a lot of Muslim people. This has been going on for probably a decade now.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

China has been doing a quiet ethnic cleansing in the western part of the country where there have been traditionally been a lot of Muslim people. This has been going on for probably a decade now.

I'm pretty sure not even the state department asserts that China is continuing to carry out ethnic cleansing in xinjiang

forgot my pants
Feb 28, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not just Xinjiang but Tibet as well. It's not really ethnic cleansing in the sense of forced removal, but China seems to want their ethnic minorities to abandon certain traditional practices and to instead conform to their mainstream standards. It's sort of like what Canada did with its Indian residential schools to try to force natives to assimilate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

forgot my pants posted:

Not just Xinjiang but Tibet as well. It's not really ethnic cleansing in the sense of forced removal, but China seems to want their ethnic minorities to abandon certain traditional practices and to instead conform to their mainstream standards. It's sort of like what Canada did with its Indian residential schools to try to force natives to assimilate.
Yeah that still meets the definition of ethnic cleansing under international law, but they are doing it quietly so it’s not as messy as what we see in Gaza