Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'll continue to poo poo my pants every time I hear a loud BANG from the underside of the car from now on.

This is a very reasonable response, don't feel bad about it. People ignoring BANG is why my wife's car needs a new windshield. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Splizwarf posted:

This is a very reasonable response, don't feel bad about it. People ignoring BANG is why my wife's car needs a new windshield. :(

It just paid for itself. Heard a loud BANG the other day when panic braking in my work parking lot, got home and started nervously tearing the back of the car apart. Turns out one of my rear strut mount nuts backed itself off.

I had two more nuts holding that strut mount on, and I knew the mount itself was pooched anyway, but it's good to have caught it.

Steamos
Jul 22, 2011
As a follow up my previous post:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's just like a sandblaster for your combustion chamber!

Throw some ATF down the bores, how bad can it be?

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Mooseykins posted:

drat leaf spring.

Looks like a monoleaf. Somewhat rare in mechanical suspensions.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Giblet Plus! posted:

Looks like a monoleaf. Somewhat rare in mechanical suspensions.

Common on Euro van suspensions. It's a big leaf though.

On the front it has a single transverse leaf. Like a Corvette! :v:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's just like a sandblaster for your combustion chamber!

Old, but still good:

quote:

Hey guys, I've got a 98 1.8T. I've had a k04 and chip for a while and wanted to get more performance. I was recommended to port and polish the intake and exhaust. We found out they used abrasive material to do it like gritty sand. So I got with my friend that tunes Hondas and we decided to try it ourselves. We got a bag of sandblasting sand and hooked up into the intake and started the car. We had to hold the gas so it would run. He wanted to let the engine suck in the sand through the intake so it would port it out and then push it out the ehxaust so it would port the exhaust manifold.
I was worried that it might cause problems but he figured it'd be OK as long as we didn't make boost and it get sucked in the turbo. After running the car and letting it suck in sand we got about half way through a 25 lb bag. The check engine light was on and the engine was bucking and kicking and sounding really weird. We stopped and hooked the car back up normal and took off the sand supply. We tried to start it again and it was really hard. Once started it couldn't idle and kept making weird noises. We took it out and drove it and it started to make scraping and knocking noises. 
Help! Can anyone tell me what to do! My buddy only does Hondas so he doesn't know much about Audis

http://www.audiforums.com/forum/off-topic-5/hey-guys-please-help-my-mods-gone-wrong-80267/

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mooseykins posted:

Common on Euro van suspensions. It's a big leaf though.

On the front it has a single transverse leaf. Like a Corvette! :v:
Please crosspost to VWVortex asking about cutting springs for cheap lowering, expressing confusion as to why the van now drives funny.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

Please crosspost to VWVortex asking about cutting springs for cheap lowering, expressing confusion as to why the van now drives funny.

So i wanted my van lower and now the steering wheel is pissed and i get horrendous driveline vibrations. Any ideas? :v:

(I think replies would just be lower/harlequin it.)

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

InitialDave posted:

VWVortex is a real goldmine for suspension modification. Some of the more tasteful modifications I've seen/heard proposed are:

Removing bumpstops on $250 coilovers when slamming your car to increase suspension travel.

Modifying ball joints for increased suspension travel on a theoretical rally car.

Homemade Independent Rear Suspension using what appeared to be steel tubing purchased from a hardware store.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

1500quidporsche posted:

VWVortex is a real goldmine for suspension modification. Some of the more tasteful modifications I've seen/heard proposed are:

Removing bumpstops on $250 coilovers when slamming your car to increase suspension travel.

Modifying ball joints for increased suspension travel on a theoretical rally car.

Homemade Independent Rear Suspension using what appeared to be steel tubing purchased from a hardware store.

Don't forget notched front subframes on MK 4s instead of just using TT hubs and wishbones, and that MK 1 where the guy wedged bolts in behind the rear spindles to get stupid poo poo-looking camber.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Diesel powwwwwerrrrr!

Any idea what engine it is?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mooseykins posted:

Diesel powwwwwerrrrr!

Any idea what engine it is?

VW 2.5l from a Toureg

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

CommieGIR posted:

VW 2.5l from a Toureg

Oh wow, was not expecting it to be one of them.

I'll have to see if i can find the pic of my mate's 1.9 TDI block'd 1.8T that split the block.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

JB Weld and emery paper, you'll be fine to sell it on CL as requiring minor mechanical work.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

"Has a miss, my mechanic says it's an easy fix, I just don't have the time to deal with it" (as it gets tossed on Craigslist)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Needs a head gasket, only $25 part.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Mechanic's special!!!!

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
VW FOR SALE
FLAWLESS BODY
INTERIOR IN GREAT SHAPE
BRAND NEW STEREO
TIRES ONLY A MONTH OLD
NEW BATTERY
RECENTLY TUNED UP
LOW MILES
A STEAL AT $5000 OBO!
needs headgasket

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

VW FOR SALE

This was all you needed to post.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I see the problem - the ratchet should be in the other way around so it doesn't fall out once the shear load is removed.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

That ratchet better be a strong sumbitch. :v:

Hillridge posted:

I see the problem - the ratchet should be in the other way around so it doesn't fall out once the shear load is removed.

No, because when you tilt the spec lift down it will fall out onto the ground. Amazingly, it is in the right way.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Motronic posted:

Wait.....you actually got a flat from a shed?

I think you deserve some kind of award or something.

There's an antler in the "weird poo poo we pulled out of tires" bin at my local tire shop, apparently it's not that uncommon.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Delivery McGee posted:

There's an antler in the "weird poo poo we pulled out of tires" bin at my local tire shop, apparently it's not that uncommon.

I wonder if they're ever tempted to re-use items from that bin to get the job done.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

gently caress. It took me a few seconds to realise what I was looking at.

Bloke that thought that up should be shot out of a cannon, into a dumpster full of used paper cartridge oil filters.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Note it can only tighten.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It's only a rendered mockup though, right?

Right? :negative:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
comes with a lovely torque stick that techs can use an excuse for why it can't possibly be overtightened

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
5 minutes before this was taken I was doing 70mph on it. It was so bad I was just hoping to make it to a parts store or junkyard with a CV shaft assembly on hand before the shaft snapped in half.

It wasn't the CV. :stonk:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

5 minutes before this was taken I was doing 70mph on it. It was so bad I was just hoping to make it to a parts store or junkyard with a CV shaft assembly on hand before the shaft snapped in half.

It wasn't the CV. :stonk:
That wheel looks incredibly out of round. Holy hell.

Yay new toys, right?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Looks more like the belts in the tire broke, if the wheel was that far out of round it would be like driving an unbalanced washing machine.

But even from that picture you can see just how ancient that tire is. :stonk: That's one of the original tires that came with it when it was new, isn't it?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

Looks more like the belts in the tire broke, if the wheel was that far out of round it would be like driving an unbalanced washing machine.

But even from that picture you can see just how ancient that tire is. :stonk: That's one of the original tires that came with it when it was new, isn't it?

It seriously looks like a 90's tread pattern, my god.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Krakkles posted:

That wheel looks incredibly out of round. Holy hell.

Yay new toys, right?

Yeah my requirements for these tires (they only have to last till we get home) are:
Round
Holds air
Rolls straight

And this one met none of those. It got worse so gradually that I didn't realize what was up until it was so bad I was unsure if the CV was seized and making the drivetrain jump up and down, or if the wheel was bent like half an inch. The belts were either broken before, or wore through, so the tire had a hell of a hernia and didn't even roll straighht. Every rotation of the tire the steering wheel would jerk violently to the right if you let it, at speed it felt like a really unbalanced tire, at like 5mph felt like a seized CV.

Having never had a tire get that bad I never once suspected it could be tire related. Oh well, didn't die, didn't blow out and wipe out an impossible to source fender, cost $35 to solve the problem, and a lesson learned.

No idea what the datecodes are on these tires but they are getting replaced before I drive it further than the inspection station once we get home.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Oh yeah, a shifted belt is a joy to behold, especially at highway speed when it harmonizes just right and starts to dribble like a basketball :stonk:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

gently caress me it's real:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

That one is at least oriented to remove filters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Safety Dance posted:

That one is at least oriented to remove filters.

It can be flipped, and you shouln't put an impact wrench anywhere near an oil filter.