Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I bought a few batteries from OWC. No problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

BobHoward posted:

iFixit lists a new Apple OEM 2009/2010 17" battery at $150, but they're out of stock. It might be hard to find new old stock for a 2009/2010 battery in 2014 going on 2015, and with batteries NOS isn't as good as truly new. (Lithium ion chemistry batteries tend to lose capacity just sitting on the shelf.)

OWC has new "Newer Technology" (OWC house brand) 3rd party batteries for your computer for $110. Mileage varies on OWC stuff, but I think I've heard good things about the batteries. No personal experience with them, though.

Yah, unfortunately I live in Canada, and OWC says that they can't ship batteries with Lithium in them internationally anymore. I called up the Canadian resellers on the newertech site and they don't have any of the 17" batteries. I did find a store that seems willing to ship a new OEM one to me, we'll see if they really can send it. If that doesn't work out, Newegg.ca does have a battery by "UBattery," so maybe I risk that.

EDIT: Is Newertech OWC brand? They didn't used to be right, did OWC buy them?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

ShadeofBlue posted:

EDIT: Is Newertech OWC brand? They didn't used to be right, did OWC buy them?

I'm pretty sure that the original Newer Tech organization is long gone. Their big product line was CPU upgrade kits for PowerPC Macs, and that market started drying up (due to non-upgradable Macs) years before Apple switched to Intel. I might have misspoken about Newer now being an OWC house brand, I vaguely remember a bankruptcy and rescue / buyout by OWC and a period of time where OWC was the exclusive distributor.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

BobHoward posted:

I'm pretty sure that the original Newer Tech organization is long gone. Their big product line was CPU upgrade kits for PowerPC Macs, and that market started drying up (due to non-upgradable Macs) years before Apple switched to Intel. I might have misspoken about Newer now being an OWC house brand, I vaguely remember a bankruptcy and rescue / buyout by OWC and a period of time where OWC was the exclusive distributor.

Yah that makes sense. Not that it matters much anyway.

It's interesting, when Mac laptops switched to non-user-replaceable batteries I didn't really care because I knew that I would be capable of replacing them myself anyway. I never really considered the possibility that it would actually become difficult to buy the batteries themselves. Actually, it's even worse than that since they must have the right battery available still (for the 2010 model that uses the same battery), but they won't just sell me one :(. Even if I were in the US, OWC says that the 17 inch batteries take 23 days to ship, so they clearly aren't sitting on any right now. If I had realized, I would have replaced my battery last December. Looking back, I think the battery must have already been bulging back then, my trackpad started having issues clicking in the winter of 2013, and that's cleared up completely now that I removed the battery. I had figured the trackpad was just on its way out, since I had trouble with it before...

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
How far from the border do you live? You could get a PO box in the states and just ship it there (then close the box when you are done).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just bought a bluetooth mac keyboard and trackpad. Will the OS give me a warning when the battery level goes low or am I going to have to figure out why my trackpad isn't doing a thing before remembering it's battery powered, like I do with all my other wireless gadgets on Windows?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Martytoof posted:

I just bought a bluetooth mac keyboard and trackpad. Will the OS give me a warning when the battery level goes low or am I going to have to figure out why my trackpad isn't doing a thing before remembering it's battery powered, like I do with all my other wireless gadgets on Windows?

You will be told by the OS.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Binary Badger posted:

http://sixcolors.com/post/2014/10/apple-event-set-for-oct-16/

So, the Apple //gs is coming back, eh?

(or new Mac Mini)
This post ventures into the territory of ~mac rumors~ but I would not be surprised at all if the "iPad Pro" and the rumored 12" fanless laptop are the same thing. There have also been rumors of OS X on ARM forever as well. It would fit in with Apple's current moves into markets they previous ignored, like Chrome Books and Microsoft Surfaces.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
MacRumors territory: I'm really skeptical that OS X will run on ARM. I don't see how it's worth it to leave behind all that x86 software. Tablets can realistically take x86 and Microsoft has proven that. Broadwell is supposed to primarily boast major gains in efficiency. I could perhaps see a tablet/laptop Air with an Intel processor where the UI automatically changes to be iOS-like when it's being used as a tablet. It is not like Apple to ship a product where you need to get out your stylus and aim at tiny targets to use it for touch.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

I just asked this in the "short questions" thread, but it might be wise to ask here, too. Could anyone recommend a good external hard drive for a macbook in the ~$100 range?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Kubrick posted:

I just asked this in the "short questions" thread, but it might be wise to ask here, too. Could anyone recommend a good external hard drive for a macbook in the ~$100 range?

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-portable-hard-drive/ is probably a good place to start.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I could see them defaulting all apps to fat apps in 10.11 so they run on ARM and Intel.

Kubrick posted:

Hitachi, Toshiba, or WD 2.5" USB 3.0 drives.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Kubrick posted:

Anything that's not Seagate.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I'm currently using a USB 3.0 WD My Passport as a Time Machine backup. It used to be my Windows 8/8.1 File History backup until I formatted it for my Mac.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
So finally my warranty dispute with Apple has been resolved: my machine was a dud and they've decided to replace it.

The machine I have is the Late 2012 iMac (13,2) - the 3.4ghz core i7 with a 1TB fusion drive.

I haven't got the specs in writing, but since they don't make the same machine any more it's either going to be the new 3.4GHz i5 or the 3.5Ghz i7 with the solid state 512GB drive.

I'm just a bit confused in terms of whether I will see a difference in either model in terms of speed. I haven't really kept up with the ivy/haswell jump or speeds in general.
What i'm trying to figure out is whether I ask to shell extra for the i7.

For anyone curious, I do really heavy Adobe After Effects and Photoshop.

(For anyone interested in backstory, basically Apple fixed it 3-4 times and I still have a crashing regularly issue. Was a great machine when it worked but the crashes were 5-6 times a day. The most recent one made it not bootable. These things happen, not mad about it being a dud-these things happen, more just annoying.).

the_lion fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Oct 13, 2014

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

the_lion posted:

I haven't got the specs in writing, but since they don't make the same machine any more it's either going to be the new 3.4GHz i5 or the 3.5Ghz i7 with the solid state 512GB drive.

I'm just a bit confused in terms of whether I will see a difference in either model in terms of speed. I haven't really kept up with the ivy/haswell jump or speeds in general.
What i'm trying to figure out is whether I ask to shell extra for the i7.

For anyone curious, I do really heavy Adobe After Effects and Photoshop.

The tech spec comparison between the 2013 iMac i5 and i7 CPUs is here. The i7's advantages:

100 MHz higher clock speed (both base and max turbo)
8MB L3 cache (compared to 6MB on the i5)
Hyperthreading - Lets each CPU core execute two threads simultaneously. Not as fast as two real CPU cores, but throughput is better than executing one thread on the same core. The benefit varies by application.

The 100 MHz and 2MB extra L3 cache probably aren't worth a lot. Maybe 5%. Hyperthreading depends on the application software: if you run programs that have lots of threads, you will like hyperthreading a whole lot. If you never use more than four threads it's worthless.

I did some searching and found Adobe's performance guide for After Effects. It claims that AE will use many, many threads, and NVidia GPUs too. Therefore, you probably want the i7 (and since your original machine was an i7 I'd say you have a right to expect that the replacement should have one too).

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

BobHoward posted:

The tech spec comparison between the 2013 iMac i5 and i7 CPUs is here. The i7's advantages:

100 MHz higher clock speed (both base and max turbo)
8MB L3 cache (compared to 6MB on the i5)
Hyperthreading - Lets each CPU core execute two threads simultaneously. Not as fast as two real CPU cores, but throughput is better than executing one thread on the same core. The benefit varies by application.

The 100 MHz and 2MB extra L3 cache probably aren't worth a lot. Maybe 5%. Hyperthreading depends on the application software: if you run programs that have lots of threads, you will like hyperthreading a whole lot. If you never use more than four threads it's worthless.

I did some searching and found Adobe's performance guide for After Effects. It claims that AE will use many, many threads, and NVidia GPUs too. Therefore, you probably want the i7 (and since your original machine was an i7 I'd say you have a right to expect that the replacement should have one too).

Great answer -thank! Glad I asked, because yeah- I sure do use hyper threading apps and that sounds handy.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Would this 2010 2.4GHz MacBook be enough for deploying to iOS?
I'm not planning to actually use it for development, just need a Mac computer to deploy to iOS devices/app store, and this is the cheapest used option available to me. I don't know anything about Mac computers so please do correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like this should be able to run the latest XCode (and the seller claims it's already running the latest OS X)

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It will. I was using the same model for simple iOS development just a few weeks ago.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Awesome, thanks! Are the simulators usable enough on it too?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I had an '11 MBP that needed four logic board replacements due to repeated video failures (a known defect) before they finally gave up and replaced it with an early '13 for free. Guess what happened to that replacement just one month out of warranty (you'd think after the '08 recalls, the early '11 failures, they'd have this sorted out):

Those are Thunderbolt displays. I tried it on a plain HDMI monitor for diagnosis:

Running 10.9.5, ran when parked, doesn't ever budge from my desk, no issues running with it's onboard display. Can't wait to ditch this lemon and get a retina iMac.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress man. That is some horrible luck with GPUs.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
That's really weird that happen to 4 logic boards and an entirely new machine. I'd start looking at your other equipment at that point. There has to be a cause. :stare:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
MacRumors says we're due for a new iMac soon. My wife's looking to buy one, but she's not interested in top of the line - she'd rather save a bit of money than have the latest and greatest. Should she buy now, before new models come out and prices potentially go up, or should she wait and buy a last-gen iMac once the new ones come out? Or will prices stay (more or less) the same, and she's better off just getting the new one? Obviously there are no sure answers, but best guesses are fine; I just don't know much about Apple product history.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

jackpot posted:

MacRumors says we're due for a new iMac soon. My wife's looking to buy one, but she's not interested in top of the line - she'd rather save a bit of money than have the latest and greatest. Should she buy now, before new models come out and prices potentially go up, or should she wait and buy a last-gen iMac once the new ones come out? Or will prices stay (more or less) the same, and she's better off just getting the new one? Obviously there are no sure answers, but best guesses are fine; I just don't know much about Apple product history.

Just don't buy that new low-cost one. Woof.

I'd also be weary about buying the first-gen Retina iMac for some reason.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

That's really weird that happen to 4 logic boards and an entirely new machine. I'd start looking at your other equipment at that point. There has to be a cause. :stare:

That's what I was thinking.

What's your physical space like? Where is your laptop sitting and what kind of ventilation is it getting around it? MBPs from the 08-12 period tend to run a bit warm in general. I've got a mid 2009 set up with an external monitor as a secondary display. I keep it on a desk with a foot of clear space open behind it and on a USB-driven cooling pad and even with all that I still can put my hand on the case/keyboard over where the GPU to warm up a bit if I get cold while working.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
So I have a Mid-2013 Air. Is there some way/What is the recommended dock to use so that I can gain more than one thunderbolt port on this thing as recently my office's WiFi has gotten super flaky so I have to use an ethernet cable if I want to actually use the internet, but I also want to use my spare monitor. :(

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

jackpot posted:

Apple tends to do everything in their power to keep prices constant or lower them when doing product revisions (particularly with evolutionary upgrades within the same chassis generation).

You're basically always better off waiting until after the refresh as the new model will often cost the same or less new than the old one did and sellers will put the old model on clearance/its refurbs will get cheaper. 2-3 year older ones will get cheaper on the used/refurb market too, as you'd probably expect.

As Bob Morales said, the rumored retina iMac will probably buck the constant price trend in the same way that the retina Macbook Pros did for their first year or so on the market. Adding big new technologies that are way more expensive to produce than the old ones drives the price up for the models that have them until Apple can bring the price back in line with the historic "normal"- which also means that the retina iMac won't be replacing the "standard" one in the lineup for some time.

TLDR: I'd wait until after the refresh. Also, like everyone says, don't buy the piece-of-poo poo base 21" model with the dual core CPU.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 14, 2014

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Master_Odin posted:

So I have a Mid-2013 Air. Is there some way/What is the recommended dock to use so that I can gain more than one thunderbolt port on this thing as recently my office's WiFi has gotten super flaky so I have to use an ethernet cable if I want to actually use the internet, but I also want to use my spare monitor. :(

USB3 Ethernet adaptor?

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Bob Morales posted:

Just don't buy that new low-cost one. Woof.

I'd also be weary about buying the first-gen Retina iMac for some reason.

+1 to this. There's also a boat load of late 2013 refurbs for really decent discounts on the apple store right now. Just picked up a 3.4ghz 8gig 1TB setup for $1439. 775 card too.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Do people think any new non-Retina iMac will have Broadwell, finally? Otherwise I don't know what upgrades Apple could put in. Maybe standard SSDs?

Of course, option (3) is "new Retina iMac, no updates to non-Retina."

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

smackfu posted:

Broadwell, finally
Why the "finally"? Haswell's not that old, though it seems like people have been talking about Broadwell from the moment Haswell turned up so maybe that makes it seem like a longer time. Regardless, LGA 1150 Broadwell isn't coming this year; only BGA Broadwell-Y and Broadwell-U for SoC (tablet, mini-ITX) applications.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

jackpot posted:

MacRumors says we're due for a new iMac soon.

Just to add to everyone else's advice already: I'm not sure if you're aware how soon "soon" is, but there's a fair chance that the new models will be announced at the Apple event this Thursday. At this point it's definitely worth waiting, if the new models are all retina and more expensive there's always the refurb store.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Here's a kind of odd question:

I'm going to be upgrading my laptop sometime in the next year or so. Right now I'm on a 15" mid 2009 MPB and while it's still happily chugging away it's getting long enough in the tooth that it's time to start planning.

I spend basically all day in front of my computer. Most of that is spent staring at words. If I'm not writing, chances are I'm reading something in preparation for writing. If I have a bit of time off even money that I'm loving around on the forums. It's pretty shameful, really.

I also tend to move around enough that I'm more or less the poster child for the laptop as mobile desktop replacement. 4 days out of the week I work from my home, 3 days out of the office (weekends aren't really part of my life right now). On my office days I'm also teaching, which means hauling my laptop to a class in order to plug it in and run presentations etc. off it while I lecture. I very briefly played with the idea of multiple desktops and cloud storage, but that was just a nightmare. Having everything in one (very well backed up) place just works a thousand times better for me.

All that said the glossy screens on modern mac notebooks drive me loving NUTS. I inevitably can either see my own reflection or that of the room behind me. Back in '09 I paid extra to get my current laptop with a matte screen, but that isn't even an option any more. I can kind of live with it if I'm watching video, and I can sort of get past it if I'm playing a game or something, but less visually active activities that require attention to detail (like reading/writing) just leave me staring at my own goddamned reflection all the time.

Some googling around turns up this matte screen protector. Does anyone have any suggestions for other products that I might be overlooking? Any kind of experience with this kind of thing and what it's like looking at it for multiple hours on end?

My other option is to go full out with a dock and multiple monitors, but I'm pretty happy with the setup I've got now and would prefer to change it as little as possible.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Why the "finally"? Haswell's not that old, though it seems like people have been talking about Broadwell from the moment Haswell turned up so maybe that makes it seem like a longer time. Regardless, LGA 1150 Broadwell isn't coming this year; only BGA Broadwell-Y and Broadwell-U for SoC (tablet, mini-ITX) applications.

Well, it really has been quite delayed at this point:

quote:

During the company's third quarter earnings call yesterday, CEO Brian Krzanich announced that production of Intel's next-generation Broadwell CPUs would be delayed slightly due to manufacturing issues. CNET reports that a "defect density issue" in the new 14nm manufacturing process was causing lower-than-expected yields and that Intel's first round of fixes didn't improve the yields by the expected amount. Krzanich expressed "confidence" that the issue had been fixed, that it was just a "small blip in the schedule," and that the CPUs would begin mass production in the first quarter of 2014 rather than the fourth quarter of 2013 as expected. Broadwell's successor, codenamed Skylake and due in 2015, will apparently not be affected by the delay.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/10/intels-next-generation-broadwell-cpus-delayed-due-to-yield-problems/

The "finally" isn't for Apple (for once), it's for Intel.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cyrano4747 posted:

:argh: glossy displays :argh:

I would have a look at the rMBP in person before drawing any significant conclusions on the matter. Apple has dramatically reduced the glare on their displays several times over the last 5 years, both thanks to advances in screen coatings and in display manufacturing and laminating processes. I'm talking like ~50% reductions between generations in some cases.

I have to look at my rMBP practically from the side before I can see any significant glare. It's really much less of a problem than before- hence they stopped offering the option (and for some other reasons too, but my point still stands).

smackfu posted:

The "finally" isn't for Apple (for once), it's for Intel.

Aside from hypothetical chassis redesigns that could capitalize on Broadwell's decreases in heat output and the obvious energy savings, does Broadwell actually bring anything significant to desktops in remotely the same league as what its supposed to do for portables?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Aside from hypothetical chassis redesigns that could capitalize on Broadwell's decreases in heat output and the obvious energy savings, does Broadwell actually bring anything significant to desktops in remotely the same league as what its supposed to do for portables?
Nope.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I would have a look at the rMBP in person before drawing any significant conclusions on the matter. Apple has dramatically reduced the glare on their displays several times over the last 5 years, both thanks to advances in screen coatings and in display manufacturing and laminating processes. I'm talking like ~50% reductions between generations in some cases.

I've looked at the new rMBPs quite a bit. In the store at least it still bugs the hell out of me. I'm really, really hoping that when I get it into my usual work spaces it's just a non issue, but I'd still like to know anyone's experiences with those films and filters before I go out and drop $2k+ on a new laptop based purely on fervent hope that I can use it for work.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've looked at the new rMBPs quite a bit. In the store at least it still bugs the hell out of me. I'm really, really hoping that when I get it into my usual work spaces it's just a non issue, but I'd still like to know anyone's experiences with those films and filters before I go out and drop $2k+ on a new laptop based purely on fervent hope that I can use it for work.

I used a privacy filter for a while and it degraded the screen quality a small but noticeable amount, decreasing brightness and contrast and blurring the text slightly. I'd assume the same from any screen protector. If you don't mind turning up the brightness the slight decrease in clarity is manageable.

The Airs still ship with matte screens, don't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

nerdrum posted:

+1 to this. There's also a boat load of late 2013 refurbs for really decent discounts on the apple store right now. Just picked up a 3.4ghz 8gig 1TB setup for $1439. 775 card too.

The Apple store has been a barren wasteland when it comes to refurbs in this part of the world. I really hope that will change after the Apple event because I am in the market for a new iMac as well.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 14, 2014