Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Cleretic posted:

At this point I'm still not sure how much I enjoy Super Mario Odyssey, but two little musical points have struck me at being very, very good at subtly playing with older Mario music.

1. It's played completely differently, and you might not notice until getting a Power Star in the Mushroom Kingdom plays the original, but the jingle for getting a regular (non-progressing-map) Power Moon is the same melody as getting a star in Mario 64. Once I realized this it seems really obvious, though.

That whole level is an amazing love letter to Mario 64.

Also if you look up to the glass dome in like you did too get the fly cap in 64 in Princess Peaches' castle you'll get a star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Unfortunately the game immediately kills you after you do it, but in Wolfenstein you can stomp on Hitler's head before walking into the "stage combat" booth with the nazi during the audition scene on Venus

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Buzkashi posted:

Unfortunately the game immediately kills you after you do it, but in Wolfenstein you can stomp on Hitler's head before walking into the "stage combat" booth with the nazi during the audition scene on Venus

I think I did that for like 10 straight minutes. Incredibly cathartic.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

You get a game over for attacking Hitler in a Wolfenstein game lol

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The attacking hitler bit was legit one of the ten best things in gaming this year and if you disagree you’re a goddamn stupid garbage idiot

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You get a game over for attacking Hitler in a Wolfenstein game lol

Attacking Hitler in the heart of a Nazi stronghold while unarmed, unarmored, and surrounded by bodyguards and killer robots :shrug:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Sounds like a standard Wolfenstein level.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Samuringa posted:

That's a straight-up creepypasta poo poo.

Is that the dead bart creepypasta I hear so much about :haw:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm playing the new RE7 DLC, where you play as Jack's brother Joe. No guns or ammo, because you punch the poo poo out of enemies, throw spears, and use IEDs. I powerbombed a boss.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

graybook posted:

This reminds me of how, iirc, one of the Powerpuff Girls games on the Game Boy Color had a password feature, where one of the passwords you put in showed a picture of someone's family? Probably a dev easter egg but for some weird reason it really creeped me out.

There's a similar bit in Earthbound where there's randomly a girl who identifies herself as Nico in Magicant. She's never mentioned or appears anywhere else, so no one really knew what her significance was until the guy who did the localisation, Marcus Lindblom, revealed in 2013 that he snuck the name in as a tribute to his daughter, who was born during the crunch leading up to the game's release. This one is decidedly less creepy, imo.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I went back and watched Giant Bomb play Prey because I wanted to see how they approached the introductory areas of the game. I saw TWO THINGS in the first few minutes: one totally inconsequential to the plot, and the other a potential late-game spoiler:

-You can decapitate yourself with the helicopter that's come to pick you up and get an achievement

-I realized why the achievement for killing Alex is called "Push the Fat Man" when I re-experienced the introductory personality quiz with the trolley

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
In The New Colossus, the director woman who gets to babysit Hitler's awful insane movies, be puked on and handle his dementia is Leni Riefenstahl, who made Triumph of the Will for him. I guess success takes many forms.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
In Pokemon Ultra Moon/Sun, the reward for being number 1 in all 4 surf spots is a pikachu that knows surf which is pretty funny because I was having a chat with my brother that they had a perfect excuse to bring it back with Hawaii and everything.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

Skellybones posted:

In The New Colossus, the director woman who gets to babysit Hitler's awful insane movies, be puked on and handle his dementia is Leni Riefenstahl, who made Triumph of the Will for him. I guess success takes many forms.

:chanpop:

Holy poo poo, it is. I was thrown off by her being referred to as Lady Helane, but that's Riefenstahl's first name."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Because I've had it for ages and never bothered with it I figured I'd give the Original Ape Escape a go (got tired of my emulator crashing just as the other games I was playing were getting interesting). I like the structure of the levels after the Prehistoric period, just beaten the Jungle River - the first few levels are fairly basic but with some monkeys you can't get to (even the first level has one on a high ledge that I'll need to come back for) and they have 1 Spectre Coin each, some easy to find some not so easy. Then as soon as you hit Jungle River, it branches in three directions, two of which you cannot access yet, and then the third branch has yet more stuff you can't get to. It does a great job having the scope of the levels just explode after the tutorial and making the Jungle River feel really big, like you're finally at the game proper.

Also I love Spectre's design, how the helmet obviously wasn't designed for him and as such it's hosed up his anime hair no end, splitting what may once have been a Vegeta-hairdo right down the middle. :3:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Are Mark and Maria still together?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

In Horizon: Zero Dawn I just got the best medal on my first try at a hunting ground and the guy running the event commented on it. It made it feel slightly more awesome.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
That's always neat. On Prey, I met with the cook and he asked me to bring something to fix the water pumps. I already had it on me tho, so he just got flabbergasted and asked if I was a psychic.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Samuringa posted:

That's always neat. On Prey, I met with the cook and he asked me to bring something to fix the water pumps. I already had it on me tho, so he just got flabbergasted and asked if I was a psychic.

Actually Horizon Zero Dawn also does this with quest items lol

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

The best instance of this is still Deus Ex. When infiltrating the Versalife building in Hongkong, some disgruntled office worker will ask you to kill his boss for him.

He is pretty shocked if you just deadpan that you already did.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

TontoCorazon posted:

That whole level is an amazing love letter to Mario 64.

Also if you look up to the glass dome in like you did too get the fly cap in 64 in Princess Peaches' castle you'll get a star.

I only actually got to that level in full yesterday (I found the secret way to an isolated part of it earlier), and it is REALLY hard to figure out my favorite little part of it. It's probably the castle courtyard area in general. The fact it's totally recreated graphically, right down to the 2D sprite trees that are constantly facing in the same direction, and the fact they used the star statue that ignited a ton of early internet debate to actually hide a star is brilliant.

My actual favorite thing about that stage isn't exactly little, though. You need Yoshi to get a fair amount of stars, but nobody in the actual stage knows where he is... so it's fortunate that he's in exactly the spot you would expect him to be. To intelligently solve a puzzle in this game instead of just brute-forcing it, you need to know the 100% completion bonus for a twenty year old game.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I only actually got to that level in full yesterday (I found the secret way to an isolated part of it earlier), and it is REALLY hard to figure out my favorite little part of it. It's probably the castle courtyard area in general. The fact it's totally recreated graphically, right down to the 2D sprite trees that are constantly facing in the same direction, and the fact they used the star statue that ignited a ton of early internet debate to actually hide a star is brilliant.

My actual favorite thing about that stage isn't exactly little, though. You need Yoshi to get a fair amount of stars, but nobody in the actual stage knows where he is... so it's fortunate that he's in exactly the spot you would expect him to be. To intelligently solve a puzzle in this game instead of just brute-forcing it, you need to know the 100% completion bonus for a twenty year old game.

I immediately ran to the roof of the castle in hopes that my suspicions would be correct. Hoping for at least an Easter egg but got way more than I hoped for.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TontoCorazon posted:

I immediately ran to the roof of the castle in hopes that my suspicions would be correct. Hoping for at least an Easter egg but got way more than I hoped for.

I spent a fair bit of time wandering the map trying to find him, when I realized exactly where he'd be and felt drat proud of myself for being right.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

codenameFANGIO posted:

In Horizon: Zero Dawn I just got the best medal on my first try at a hunting ground and the guy running the event commented on it. It made it feel slightly more awesome.

Samuringa posted:

Stuff like this is always great.

In Dishonoured before the game begins proper there's a short scene where some assassins attack you and you fend them off to defend the Empress. There's no way to stop them nonlethally as you are just given a sword and pistol and you have nowhere to run and they are alerted to your presence. What catches a lot of people out here is that fighting back ruins your non-lethal run if you're doing one even though technically the assassins don't die, what you're supposed to do is just hold the block button for 30 seconds. The nice little thing is that the game pops up a message now that tells you to "Attack or Block (non-lethal)" which is something it didn't used to do back when I first played this game. However it also doesn't tell you how to block until about 2 seconds before the enemies leave so you have to run around avoiding them.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
You can't actually die in that intro bit in Dishonored, because dying in a tutorial would be real lame. If you get dunked on by the assassins, they'll eventually just go away without you having to do anything.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

They disappear if you block for long enough too. Both of it's tutorials are really weird because they don't really help at all. The hiding tutorial with Emily is weird because enemies who spooted you always head to the last place they saw you, they don't search all around.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ESDK posted:

The best instance of this is still Deus Ex. When infiltrating the Versalife building in Hongkong, some disgruntled office worker will ask you to kill his boss for him.

He is pretty shocked if you just deadpan that you already did.
Versalife is one of my favorite areas in any game. You can do it in somewhere around two minutes if you know exactly where to go, but there's also a ton of poo poo to explore and check out if you don't.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

pulp rag posted:

I think I did that for like 10 straight minutes. Incredibly cathartic.

I made an extra save right there just so I can go do that any time I want.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Mankind Divided gave you an achievement "Time Traveler" for giving an NPC an item before he even asked for it. Now if only the game hadn't that exec-mandated Breach-mode bolted on and instead had a few more main missions at the end.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Assassin's Creed Origins added a chocobo/camel mount recently, as a bit of a back and forth Ubisoft has had with Squeenix after they had an Assassin festival in FFXV. ACO also had a recent patch that marks all the stuff you've fully cleared out on it's map icon, instead of just dimming it out, AND added a "quit to desktop" instead of just quit to menu. Sure, it should have been in there from the beginning, but the fact that they added it at all is great.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

FactsAreUseless posted:

Versalife is one of my favorite areas in any game. You can do it in somewhere around two minutes if you know exactly where to go, but there's also a ton of poo poo to explore and check out if you don't.

One time I was poking around when the guards haven't gone hostile yet and all of a sudden one of the MiBs goes "Cold. Cold and dark. It goes on forever" right behind me. I thought they might have aggroed early and jumped about a mile in the air. It was a better jump scare than most games that include them intentionally.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

One time I was poking around when the guards haven't gone hostile yet and all of a sudden one of the MiBs goes "Cold. Cold and dark. It goes on forever" right behind me. I thought they might have aggroed early and jumped about a mile in the air. It was a better jump scare than most games that include them intentionally.
Lmao yeah. Accidentally opening the door and encountering your first gray in there is a trip too. The MiBs and WiBs are pretty hosed up, I love them.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Don't forget that one bum in a cage. Oh my Captain. :911:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Kruller posted:

Assassin's Creed Origins added a chocobo/camel mount recently, as a bit of a back and forth Ubisoft has had with Squeenix after they had an Assassin festival in FFXV. ACO also had a recent patch that marks all the stuff you've fully cleared out on it's map icon, instead of just dimming it out, AND added a "quit to desktop" instead of just quit to menu. Sure, it should have been in there from the beginning, but the fact that they added it at all is great.

They've come such a long way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwOvuY0UbFM

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Finished the "Not-A-Hero" resident evil 7 dlc yesterday, and it felt really cathartic to finally kill his boy Lucas.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Holy poo poo I had no idea it was that bad on PC.

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

Fortunately there was always alt+f4 to skip this circus.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I haven't played any AC games but I've just noticed that the little molecule doodles on the various loading screens have hydrogen atoms with more than one bond on them and it makes me furious

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Oh one cool little touch that I didn't bring up about the resident evil 7 dlc, is that in the main game - the main villain had a habit of humming "Go tell aunt rhody".
In the dlc, there's a point where you've caught up to Lucas but he's unaware that your outside the room - and if you stick around you can hear that he also hums the tune like Eveline.
Clearly its part of the infection package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

World War Mammories posted:

I haven't played any AC games but I've just noticed that the little molecule doodles on the various loading screens have hydrogen atoms with more than one bond on them and it makes me furious

It looks like someone tried to sketch a load of nucleotides from memory - the shapes about right but theyve hosed up all the H-bonds.