Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Giant Squid posted:

I was convinced that wrestling was real when I was a kid because I saw Ric Flair make Terry Funk bleed at Clash of the Champions IX, and I was certain that nobody would actually cut themselves open and bleed all over the place as part of an act.

It's funny, someone once said "We pretended to punch each other for years and everyone thought it was fake, now we do it for real and they think we're faking it."

I remember watching a TNA PPV where Desmonde Wolf wrestled Abyss and of course Abyss took his typical barbed wire bump. I totally flinched and looked away and my friend asserted that "No one would actually fall through barbed wire."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So are there any 'official' rules for the belts? Like, obviously you have to win a title match but is that the only barrier to get it?

Basically has anyone ever said the Heavyweight champ has to be over x lbs, does the US champ have to be American, does the Intercontinental dude have to...I dunno beat up Sheamus and Koffi at some points?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
In WWE there are quite literally no rules pertaining to any of the belts these days. Men have challenged for, and won, the women's title, for example.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Glitterbomber posted:

So are there any 'official' rules for the belts? Like, obviously you have to win a title match but is that the only barrier to get it?

Basically has anyone ever said the Heavyweight champ has to be over x lbs, does the US champ have to be American, does the Intercontinental dude have to...I dunno beat up Sheamus and Koffi at some points?

WWE Champion: Can only hold it for x days before John Cena gets it back

World Heavyweight Championship: Can only hold it for x days before Randy Orton gets it back

WWE Intercontinental Champion: Can only hold it for x days before you lose it, which tends to be the day before you make it legitimate again.

WWE United States Champion: Must never seem more valuable than Jack Swagger, since he is an All American American American AMERICAN AMERICAN and that's more valuable than some belt.

WWE Tag Team Champions: Can only defend title on television more than three times a month if held by bitter enemies

WWE Divas Champion: Must not look embarrassed wearing a purple butterfly

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Are TNA wrestlers paid for every appearance they make? I wonder about this because they have a good amount of X-Division Wrestlers that they don't seem to be using and I'm wondering whether they are sitting on their couches anxiously waiting to be used or they don't care because they are getting paid, no matter what.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Whenever Rey Mysterio held the WHC they made a point to refer to it as simply the "World Title" instead of the "World Heavyweight Title". They've had various angles about guys trying to make weight for the Cruiserweight title (notably Matt Hardy, and Christian in a chicken suit).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TV Zombie posted:

Are TNA wrestlers paid for every appearance they make? I wonder about this because they have a good amount of X-Division Wrestlers that they don't seem to be using and I'm wondering whether they are sitting on their couches anxiously waiting to be used or they don't care because they are getting paid, no matter what.

Lower card wrestlers get paid per appearance so the ones who are sitting on their asses and aren't stars aren't making poo poo. Stars tend to get guaranteed money.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

TL posted:

They've had various angles about guys trying to make weight for the Cruiserweight title

I miss stuff like that. Made it feel more legit.

I'd say bring back the Cruiserweight title, but they already have enough titles that they don't book properly.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Cardboard Box posted:

I miss stuff like that. Made it feel more legit.

I'd say bring back the Cruiserweight title, but they already have enough titles that they don't book properly.

At one point I thought the WWE was going to go with:

WWE Undisputed Championship (both brands)
WWE Tag Team Championship (both brands)

WWE IC Title (Raw)
WWE Women's Title (Raw)
WWE US Title (SD)
WWE Cruiserweight Title (SD)

I liked that.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

That really would be ideal, wouldn't it? Having the one major champ on both brands on a semi-frequent basis would likely help Smackdown ratings, too.

And I agree with the IC title being on Raw. You'd think they'd keep what is was one of their most prestigious titles on the flagship show.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Why don't they bring back the Hardcore championship with 24/7 rules? That poo poo was so fun.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Corzaa posted:

Why don't they bring back the Hardcore championship with 24/7 rules? That poo poo was so fun.

They did everything they could with it.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

MassRayPer posted:

It's been more than 7 years, they can just do all the same poo poo again.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Cardboard Box posted:

That really would be ideal, wouldn't it? Having the one major champ on both brands on a semi-frequent basis would likely help Smackdown ratings, too.

And I agree with the IC title being on Raw. You'd think they'd keep what is was one of their most prestigious titles on the flagship show.

I'm pretty sure the US Title is on Raw because Raw is on USA. It's basically a Television Title if you think about it.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Lone Rogue posted:

I'm pretty sure the US Title is on Raw because Raw is on USA. It's basically a Television Title if you think about it.

But they were on USA for quite some time before the IC and US titles swapped shows.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

TL posted:

They've had various angles about guys trying to make weight for the Cruiserweight title (notably Matt Hardy, and Christian in a chicken suit).

That was for the Light Heavyweight title, which was even less regarded. I mean, I don't think it was ever unified. X-Pac had it and they just went "gently caress this, we're using the Cruiserweight title from now on. gently caress off, druggie."

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MassRayPer posted:

Lower card wrestlers get paid per appearance so the ones who are sitting on their asses and aren't stars aren't making poo poo. Stars tend to get guaranteed money.

I'm curious - where is the divide on the roster? Could you say that anyone lower on the card than, say, Swagger (or whomever) is getting paid per appearance?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

WeaselWeaz posted:

That was for the Light Heavyweight title, which was even less regarded. I mean, I don't think it was ever unified. X-Pac had it and they just went "gently caress this, we're using the Cruiserweight title from now on. gently caress off, druggie."

Matt Hardy's weight loss angle was most definitely for the Cruiserweight title. It was in like, 2004.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm curious - where is the divide on the roster? Could you say that anyone lower on the card than, say, Swagger (or whomever) is getting paid per appearance?

I believe all WWE wrestlers have a guarantee for the minimum they will make. Only TNA guys are per appearance. I could be wrong.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

oldpainless posted:

I believe all WWE wrestlers have a guarantee for the minimum they will make. Only TNA guys are per appearance. I could be wrong.

I always thought this too, but I guess it's possible for someone like Curt Hawkins to be paid per appearance since he's not used that often.

e: wow I am a retard. He was talking about TNA. Still I'd wonder where the divide is on *that* roster.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 10, 2011

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

I always thought this too, but I guess it's possible for someone like Curt Hawkins to be paid per appearance since he's not used that often.

e: wow I am a retard. He was talking about TNA. Still I'd wonder where the divide is on *that* roster.

Guys who were ever in the WWE vs. Guys who weren't + the women.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

oldpainless posted:

Yeah, isn't that called their downside guarantee or something? A random webpage says this:

What exactly is a "downside guarantee" when referring to a WWE superstar’s contract?

The downside guarantee stipulated in a WWE superstar’s contract is how much money that they are guaranteed to make in a given year. For example, if a superstar signs a contract with a downside guarantee of $100,000.00 a year and the business goes down the toilet and their house show payoffs are pathetic, at the end of the year WWE will count up all the money that they have made and if it does not equal their downside guarantee ($100,000.00), they will get one lump sum for that amount. The downside guarantee also covers a superstar if they injured as they will be paid their guaranteed amount as long as they do not violate their contract. Obviously, the bigger draw you are, the more downside guarantee you will make. Without a union, this is really the only thing that protects a wrestler’s financial well-being.

Kaleidoclops
May 8, 2010

They came from the stars, they had electric flying cars!
With the rumors swirling in the minds of some poster about a David Vs Goliath match at Wrestle Mania between Daniel Bryan and Mark Henry. I feel that the way this story line is going to go is Big Show loses to Henry at SS. But prior to that he "SAW" something in Daniel Bryan and decides to have some friendly matches with him. Over the course of a month Daniel Bryan has Big Shows number. At this point Bryan begins feuding with the next big monster which will be Brodus Clay. Over the period of a month and a half DB will have Brodus' number. The only giant left standing tall for Bryan to topple will be Mark Henry at Wrestle Mania.

So my question is this is my dream booking, but do we really think that WWE will pull an elaborate storyline like this? (Elaborate by WWE standards)

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kaleidoclops posted:

With the rumors swirling in the minds of some poster about a David Vs Goliath match at Wrestle Mania between Daniel Bryan and Mark Henry. I feel that the way this story line is going to go is Big Show loses to Henry at SS. But prior to that he "SAW" something in Daniel Bryan and decides to have some friendly matches with him. Over the course of a month Daniel Bryan has Big Shows number. At this point Bryan begins feuding with the next big monster which will be Brodus Clay. Over the period of a month and a half DB will have Brodus' number. The only giant left standing tall for Bryan to topple will be Mark Henry at Wrestle Mania.

So my question is this is my dream booking, but do we really think that WWE will pull an elaborate storyline like this? (Elaborate by WWE standards)

They wouldn't do that because it's kind of terrible and Bryan wrecking all the giants just won't happen in Vince's WWE.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
What we really need is another steroid trial, maybe then DB will finally get the Hitman push.

Kaleidoclops
May 8, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

They wouldn't do that because it's kind of terrible and Bryan wrecking all the giants just won't happen in Vince's WWE.

How is it terrible? that seems like a best case scenario with how things have been booked as of later.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

triplexpac posted:

What we really need is another steroid trial, maybe then DB will finally get the Hitman push.
That's not a good idea. Stephanie will compare it to 9/11 again.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

DannoMack posted:

It's been more than 7 years, they can just do all the same poo poo again.

Zack Ryder vs Ziggler and Swagger in a Chuck E Cheese play place. Book it!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kaleidoclops posted:

How is it terrible? that seems like a best case scenario with how things have been booked as of later.

Because it's several months of Daniel Bryan in matches that don't showcase his strengths, against three opponents of limited in-ring ability.

The story might be good (debateable) but the matches will be abysmal.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

MassRayPer posted:

They didn't have a ladder win it.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

WeaselWeaz posted:

Yeah after The Invasion they just pretended it didn't exist anymore and started using the Cruiserweight belt

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

WeaselWeaz posted:

There was a title unification match booked for Survivor Series 2001 with LHW Champ X-Pac taking on CW Champ Tajiri but X-Pac was injured so the match was scrapped. Later, X-Pac showed up as the Cruiserweight champ, which doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

flashy_mcflash posted:

When has that stopped them? :downsrim:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

flashy_mcflash posted:

Bryan as a giant killer just doesn't work for me.

It worked for Rey because Rey would fly. Bryan can fly but he's more grounded as a wrestler.

Kaleidoclops
May 8, 2010

Lone Rogue posted:

It worked for Rey because Rey would fly. Bryan can fly but he's more grounded as a wrestler.

They could always repackage Bryan as the rugged Lumberjack, he already stated he is not shaving his beard until at least Wrestle Mania.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Kaleidoclops posted:

They could always repackage Bryan as the rugged Lumberjack, he already stated he is not shaving his beard until at least Wrestle Mania.

Hmmm... I wonder what theme song he'd use. I know he'd wear flannel as a lumberjack, and maybe a hard hat. He needs a song to express how he ain't a boy or a woman because he has a beard. You know, that he's a man.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Lone Rogue posted:

Hmmm... I wonder what theme song he'd use. I know he'd wear flannel as a lumberjack, and maybe a hard hat. He needs a song to express how he ain't a boy or a woman because he has a beard. You know, that he's a man.

He comes down to the ring flanked by Regal and Al from Home Improvement. It's the only way. :dukedog:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lone Rogue posted:

Everyone has joints. It's how guys like Benoit were believable in beating Show.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gaz-L posted:

Crippler Crossface was more over than the LaBell Lock, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

That's how Quackenbush told Green Ant to defeat Tursas. :v: