Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

v1ld posted:

What ^^^ said.

Did you tweak NVSR's config much? If so, try moving your config out and see if things improve with the default config.

How much memory do you have? Graphics memory? If it's a 1GB card, you may have to forgo a bunch of those texture mods (spice of life, robert's bodies) unless you've willing to reduce them with ddsopt.

ENBoost is a very good way to improve memory pressure from textures, so running it is a very good idea.

It's a pity Skyrim Perf monitor doesn't work with these games - that I know of. That made it so much easier to debug these kind of issues.

Alright, I've only got a 1GB card so I'm going to try to use ddsopt on the textures. I tried enabling ENBoost but it didn't solve the problem. If ddsopt doesn't work I'll start disabling mods like you said, thanks. Here's hoping it all works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ThePutty posted:

Is there any advice for debugging lag issues? I'm getting 60 FPS in the wasteland, but as soon as I enter a town (Novac for example) I'm maybe getting 5 individual frames of game every 5 minutes. If you look around the game will freeze up (without a CTD) as if it's loading and will continue to do this for 5 - 10 minutes as long as you stay completely still. I've tried disabling every texture pack and LOD mod I have but it still runs like this. I'm running NVSE, NVAC, NV Stutter Remover and FNV4G. I really have no idea what it could be or what I could start disabling. Here's my load order:

I am going to guess Increased Wasteland Spawns, especially near Novac. I had Active Spawns turned on and it would spawn approximately 50 ghouls every time I reloaded my game. I had to revert to a save that hadn't made it to Novac yet but thankfully that was easy thanks to CASM.

Also I would chill out on all those 'fixes' you have. I also find it strange you have so many .esps for retextures.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 11, 2014

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
EDIT: Alright I editted this roughly a million times now as I poke, prod, install, and pray to the gods I didn't initiate our thermonuclear apocalypse by accident but I think I almost have it down. I installed FOMM and got it running, I have Better Game Performance working with FOMM so I guess that's all good and well. Now for some trickier questions. I downloaded NVSE and put the files in the new vegas directory as directed by the mod. Can I run FOMM and it will run NVSE automatically or do I need to launch it via NVSE_loader from now on? On a seperate note after some finagling and testing I can see NVAC installed and runs fine. If I'm not making sense I can try to simplify things.

Simplified version is I installed FOMM, got Better Game Performance running with it. I have NVSE extracted and inside my new vegas folder, can I run FOMM and it will automatically run NVSE despite not being in the auto load list? I see a 'Launch NVSE' button over on the right so I assume that's it?

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 11, 2014

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Blackray Jack posted:

EDIT: Ok, I'm functionally retarded when it comes to computer acrobatics such as this. I've installed FOMM and have it running. I've put in all the NVSE files in my New Vegas folder so I think I should be ready to start installing mods. The question is, after I put things like the better game performance mod, the NVAC mod, and so on in the Data folder in the New Vegas directory, how do I get them attached to FOMM or whatever so they start once I start the game through FOMM?

When you open FOMM, there will be a checklist will all the available mods. Anything checked off will be loaded at game start, anything unchecked will be skipped. If you crash on startup, it's very likely you have a missing master, which could mean it's completely absent, or just mean you need to check you load order.

Some mods will have a pop up box announcing themselves when you first load the game with them active; some will make use of MCM and will be listed there when you pause the game by hitting escape. Most of the time though, mods won't have any indicator that they are running in the game; if it's active, the content/changes will simply be present.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Ok, I'm 90% sure I have everything up and running concerning all that jazz. As for actual mods themselves I heard that the vanilla game is not very good but all I have is Better Game Performance. I'm mainly looking into mods that fix bugs and glitches and broken things otherwise. So aside from the recommended performance mods on the OP, are there any unspoken ones I should get?

EDIT: I'm also still having that bizarre 1 file failed whenever I do the integrity verification.

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 12, 2014

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

ThePutty posted:

Is there any advice for debugging lag issues? I'm getting 60 FPS in the wasteland, but as soon as I enter a town (Novac for example) I'm maybe getting 5 individual frames of game every 5 minutes. If you look around the game will freeze up (without a CTD) as if it's loading and will continue to do this for 5 - 10 minutes as long as you stay completely still. I've tried disabling every texture pack and LOD mod I have but it still runs like this. I'm running NVSE, NVAC, NV Stutter Remover and FNV4G. I really have no idea what it could be or what I could start disabling. Here's my load order:

For starters, you are loading multiple esps for the same mod. Mojave Extended, use only one. CCO - Ulysses, use only the all dlc patch.

Next, you don't have a Bashed Patch? Get Wrye and fix that asap. Also make sure that you remove the levelled lists from the Merged Patch, Bash is better at this.

Finally, run LOOT.

Also, it's a good idea to use the memory patch.

Create a file called "nvse_config.ini" ,without the quotes, and put it in your data/nvse directory. Open it with a text editor of choice and copy&paste the following line into it:

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=400

Save it and make sure it's saved as ini, not txt. Run the game and you should see a signficant improvement in terms of stability, once you have your loadorder sorted, merged and bashed.

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 11, 2014

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Well poo poo, nevermind then.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I am going to guess Increased Wasteland Spawns, especially near Novac. I had Active Spawns turned on and it would spawn approximately 50 ghouls every time I reloaded my game. I had to revert to a save that hadn't made it to Novac yet but thankfully that was easy thanks to CASM.

Also I would chill out on all those 'fixes' you have. I also find it strange you have so many .esps for retextures.

Yeah, this totally solved it, thanks. In combination with the texture optimizations I'm getting really smooth gameplay now.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Has anyone here tried The Rockwell Descent/Pursuit or Tales From the Burning Sands? I want some extra quests in this playthrough and those seemed to rank somewhat high on the Nexus.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

Has anyone here tried The Rockwell Descent/Pursuit or Tales From the Burning Sands? I want some extra quests in this playthrough and those seemed to rank somewhat high on the Nexus.

Burning Sands is pretty good, haven't tried Rockwell Descent

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Mortimer posted:

Burning Sands is pretty good, haven't tried Rockwell Descent

Thanks, gonna try it out.

---
Well this is new:

This suddenly started happening when I started the game via MO, no idea why, but I assume it has something to do with all the mods I'm messing around with.

The game still runs normally, despite the error message, so I'm not really sure about the implications of this. Should I just ignore it?

EDIT: The text translates to something like: "Cannot complete action as the file is already open in FalloutNV. Close the file and try again."

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 12, 2014

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Okay, I promise this is the last issue I'm having. Is there a cause for certain NPCs to be naked without armour? The Atomic Wrangler guards, the Crimson Caravan guards and some Caravan guards are lacking armour and as a result run around the wasteland in their underwear. I assume this is a certain armour they're wearing that's bugged out some how? I've tried using the resurrect command but they rematerialized in their underwear again. They've still got weapons however, if that helps at all.

E: disregard this, I forget to enable Roberts body and now it's fixed

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 12, 2014

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

Thanks, gonna try it out.

---
Well this is new:

This suddenly started happening when I started the game via MO, no idea why, but I assume it has something to do with all the mods I'm messing around with.

The game still runs normally, despite the error message, so I'm not really sure about the implications of this. Should I just ignore it?

EDIT: The text translates to something like: "Cannot complete action as the file is already open in FalloutNV. Close the file and try again."

I would check the task manager for another instance of New Vegas but you can ignore it so long as the load order does not change.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
What were the panning reviews of Beyond Boulder Dam? I looked through way too many pages of this thread to see them, and I didn't see any.

I haven't bothered to check it out since I'm still just loving around with basic mods, but I'm curious what the criticisms were.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Old Boot posted:

What were the panning reviews of Beyond Boulder Dam? I looked through way too many pages of this thread to see them, and I didn't see any.

I haven't bothered to check it out since I'm still just loving around with basic mods, but I'm curious what the criticisms were.

it's a really lovely combat gauntlet

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Old Boot posted:

It's boring as gently caress. I guess it's well done technically, but the gameplay is worse than the worst bits of Fallout 3. The plot is retarded, and the characters are dumb and poorly voiced.

Seriously, about halfway through I had to convince myself to finish it. The people making it aped New Vegas without understanding what makes it great.

Because of that, I find it loving hilarious what happened with the BBD teams Skyrim effort. When Skyrim was released, they put a ton of effort and energy into making a similarly scaled Skyrim mod, set on... Solstheim. Then Dragonborn was announced. Whoops!

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I didn't find Beyond Boulder Dome to be as bad as some here have said, but it's certainly pretty rough in places.

There were parts where it was unclear what I had to do to progress, and one near game-breaking bug in particular; I had to kill a particular character to get an item from him... but I had already killed him earlier. I had to use the 'resurrect' console command to bring him back to life - then kill him again - to get the item to spawn. I remember that the same thing happened to someone else here, but they couldn't resurrect the character since he had been incinerated or something. I think there may have been another way to complete this quest, but I'm not sure. Pretty bad bug, anyway.

It's a huge mod, though; probably as much content as one of the official DLC episodes, or maybe more. It's often pretty imaginative, but very uneven overall. What you get out of it probably depends on your tolerance for that sort of thing.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
So this mod seems decent so far. I've bumped into 3 of the quests and a random encounter. The voice acting ranges from decent to meh, but doesn't seem atrocious or anything, and nothing I've come across yet has been skeevy.

Anyone else have experience with this one?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Antistar01 posted:

I didn't find Beyond Boulder Dome to be as bad as some here have said, but it's certainly pretty rough in places.

There were parts where it was unclear what I had to do to progress, and one near game-breaking bug in particular; I had to kill a particular character to get an item from him... but I had already killed him earlier. I had to use the 'resurrect' console command to bring him back to life - then kill him again - to get the item to spawn. I remember that the same thing happened to someone else here, but they couldn't resurrect the character since he had been incinerated or something. I think there may have been another way to complete this quest, but I'm not sure. Pretty bad bug, anyway.

It's a huge mod, though; probably as much content as one of the official DLC episodes, or maybe more. It's often pretty imaginative, but very uneven overall. What you get out of it probably depends on your tolerance for that sort of thing.

I gave up in the nuclear reactor. The constant radiation level hosed you over if you weren't able to get through the labyrinthine map quickly, to the point where I even turned on God Mode and still couldn't figure out where the gently caress to go.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

I gave up in the nuclear reactor. The constant radiation level hosed you over if you weren't able to get through the labyrinthine map quickly, to the point where I even turned on God Mode and still couldn't figure out where the gently caress to go.

I'm not sure I remember the part you're talking about, so I must have had enough Rad-X and Rad-Away on me. :v:

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
How is New Vegas Restoration these days? I remember using it a couple years back and encountering a few bugs (like Vulpes never showing up after encountering Benny and preventing me from seeing Caesar). Does it run any smoother now? Are there better mods that improve the strip?

Also I'm using the Type3 body and armor replacer so I can use Spice of Life. The problem is that I now have a stupid midriff bearing leather armor. What meshes and textures do I have to replace to fix this? Like could I go and replace the .nifs in the mod files with something more sensible? Or can I just delete the leather armor references to go back to the vanilla mesh?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Necroskowitz posted:

What meshes and textures do I have to replace to fix this? Like could I go and replace the .nifs in the mod files with something more sensible? Or can I just delete the leather armor references to go back to the vanilla mesh?

You can just replace

[FNV install path]\Data\Meshes\Armor\Leatherarmor\f\outfitf.nif

with another .nif. It has to be Type3 compatible or show no arm, leg or torso skin, however, and simply deleting it may mess up skin textures on the armour.

This pack has a modest version for Type3.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Old Boot posted:

Pretty much what everyone else has said: A tremendous amount of effort, ruined by terrible execution. The combat is constant and terribly unfun, as there are numerous enemies throughout the mod that posses one/two shot kill weapons if you're not wearing power armor. There is a poo poo-ton of backtracking that you need to do for the various quests, and very little of it can be solved through fast-travel. The worst thing, though, is at the end it all seems ultimately pointless-You go through a double-cross, then a double-double cross, and by the end everybody who mattered to the main plot is dead.. It's a shame, too-there's a ton of huge, expansive environments they created, lots of voice-acting, new weapons, enemies, and armor... and it's all for nothing because the game design and writing is just terrible.

chitoryu12 posted:

Good lord that section was the worst.* It didn't help that everything was so dark that it made it hard to figure out where/how you could actually get anywhere. At least you didn't have to suffer through the ending! :v:

*Second to the slog of getting to the ZAX, now that was just a nightmare.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

So I started a new game using the Alternate Start Mod and it gave me a Anti-Materiel Rifle with 96 bullets.

What should I do with this?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Anything you want, really.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Uninstall that mod and post a bad review(and then get banned :nexus:)?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Zeron posted:

Well, I did select the random loadout option.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Zeron posted:

It only gave me an AMR and not the unique version 0/10 would not install again.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

You can just replace

[FNV install path]\Data\Meshes\Armor\Leatherarmor\f\outfitf.nif

with another .nif. It has to be Type3 compatible or show no arm, leg or torso skin, however, and simply deleting it may mess up skin textures on the armour.

This pack has a modest version for Type3.

Thanks!

On an unrelated note: Has anyone made a functional patch between PN-Rebalance and jsawyer.esp? I prefer ropekid's mod but I'd like some of the modifiable aspects of the PN mod. Could I just run jsawyer.esp after PN or would that wreck things? Does it conflict with anything else in the mod?

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
Has anyone installed T3 Belts and Boots? I'm looking for a belt/shoes mod and this is the only one that pops up, but the preview pictures and the mention of hentai at the bottom of the page are really making me not want to download it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Necroskowitz posted:

Thanks!

On an unrelated note: Has anyone made a functional patch between PN-Rebalance and jsawyer.esp? I prefer ropekid's mod but I'd like some of the modifiable aspects of the PN mod. Could I just run jsawyer.esp after PN or would that wreck things? Does it conflict with anything else in the mod?

Not that I know if, but it's not really necessary. You can run the game just fine with both mods running, and the nice thing about PN is that all the variables can be changed through the Mod Control Menu so if you can go and manually change all the values to the JSawyer numbers where they conflict.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009
I'll eventually get this install to work properly. I now have a problem with the texture for a few power armors. Specifically, the Outcast T-45d and the Enclave Advanced Power Armor (FNV) look like this http://imgur.com/A73wVya.

I'm guessing this is either a problem with my ENB (using Rudy) or with the specular maps for those armors. I'd try deleting the spec maps but I can't remember which file it is.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Sole Survivor posted:

I'll eventually get this install to work properly. I now have a problem with the texture for a few power armors. Specifically, the Outcast T-45d and the Enclave Advanced Power Armor (FNV) look like this http://imgur.com/A73wVya.

I'm guessing this is either a problem with my ENB (using Rudy) or with the specular maps for those armors. I'd try deleting the spec maps but I can't remember which file it is.

IIRC the specular map is the Normal Maps Alpha channel.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Ok I have a quick question, how do I install perks retroactively after putting in the perks every level mod? I know I have to put some in manually cause I'm level eight and it doesn't function retroactively.

EDIT: So it's player.addperk <variable> where the variable can be for example, 00044cb1 for intense training?

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 14, 2014

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Blackray Jack posted:

Ok I have a quick question, how do I install perks retroactively after putting in the perks every level mod? I know I have to put some in manually cause I'm level eight and it doesn't function retroactively. And where can I get the list of perks commands to put in?

The mod does not work retroactively. The console command you're looking for is player.addperk <base id>, with the base ids taken from this page.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Alright got it all figured out, thanks! Are there any mods out there people would call 'essential' gameplay wise? I have the perk on every level mod and the bettergameperformancev3 mod, but are there any others out there?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ThaumPenguin posted:

So I started a new game using the Alternate Start Mod and it gave me a Anti-Materiel Rifle with 96 bullets.

What should I do with this?

Use it on the Giant Scorpion that's going to attack the town soon.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Blackray Jack posted:

Alright got it all figured out, thanks! Are there any mods out there people would call 'essential' gameplay wise? I have the perk on every level mod and the bettergameperformancev3 mod, but are there any others out there?

jsawyer.esp. Love that fuckin' mod, love that fuckin' dev. I would disable perk every level though if you're doing jsawyer. I mean, you can keep it, but you will be godly powerful.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

jsawyer.esp. Love that fuckin' mod, love that fuckin' dev. I would disable perk every level though if you're doing jsawyer. I mean, you can keep it, but you will be godly powerful.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zealot4223
Sep 3, 2014

Blackray Jack posted:

I'd recommend YUP and JSawyer. YUP fixes a lot of glitches and developer issues but it doesn't go overboard in one way or another. I also do like EVE (it's mostly effects but it still counts as gameplay..but it's very nice to have). Project Nevada is good..but it's not something I'd label as essential...but it's very very good. Populated Casinos is very good as well but it requires a strong CPU or a tamed load order. ADAM is more cosmetic but it's nice as well. Overall, Fallout New Vegas was a fantastic game and most of the issues with the game were fixed in some part by JSawyer and YUP. The rest of the mods which are currently popular are primarily cosmetic changes.