Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I wish there were professionally made FPS games in the style of ZDCMP2. It's so drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
TerminX did an interview about the upcoming Android port of Duke3D/Duke64/Duke3DPSX. I do hope those hints about an iOS version pan out.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dominic White posted:

I'm pretty sure Kaiser hasn't mentioned any sort of work on the Playstation version, just Saturn.

I don't know what this guy's source for the quote is, but it says the reverse.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

I don't know what this guy's source for the quote is, but it says the reverse.

Aah, fair enough. The PSX version is basically the Saturn version with more detailed map geometry anyway, right?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Dominic White posted:

Aah, fair enough. The PSX version is basically the Saturn version with more detailed map geometry anyway, right?

From what I understand, the levels are cut down in size somewhat too.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

SwissCM posted:

From what I understand, the levels are cut down in size somewhat too.

It'll be interesting to see if he's able to restore stuff back to its original size, then. I remember the levels being pretty sprawling in the Saturn version.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The level edits are kinda strange... a lot of rooms are compacted while some are bigger, and most of them have a little extra set dressing. A few of the levels are completely different in everything but name, a la Jag Doom. They also changed the location of all the hidden dolls, added lots more health/ammo pickups, changed and increased the enemy layouts, etc. It's definitely not just a condensed version of the Saturn game, there's stuff there that was obviously a conscious change for whatever reason - nothing that warrants remaking both versions, but they could probably integrate some of the PSX-exclusive stuff into the Saturn build without much trouble.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

According to the dev-blog, you can edit the levels in Blender, so hopefully there'll be mod tools rolling out along with it. However you slice it, I have faith in Kaiser - the dude goes the extra mile every time.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

RyokoTK posted:

I wish there were professionally made FPS games in the style of ZDCMP2. It's so drat good.

I actually really didn't like ZDCMP2. It was way too long, had too many new weapons - none of which were interesting, not enough ammo, way too much time spent wandering around not knowing WTF to do, and a laundry list of other problems. About the only thing it had going for it was that it looked nice.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The level edits are kinda strange... a lot of rooms are compacted while some are bigger, and most of them have a little extra set dressing. A few of the levels are completely different in everything but name, a la Jag Doom. They also changed the location of all the hidden dolls, added lots more health/ammo pickups, changed and increased the enemy layouts, etc. It's definitely not just a condensed version of the Saturn game, there's stuff there that was obviously a conscious change for whatever reason - nothing that warrants remaking both versions, but they could probably integrate some of the PSX-exclusive stuff into the Saturn build without much trouble.
There are also some changes I'm not quite as fond of, such as how all the item pickups clumsily flop to the ground after spawning instead of hovering in place, or how the artifact/transmitter piece pickup animation loses the nifty fade-in effect in lieu of slowly blinking the item you picked up with a somewhat obnoxious noise. Also the crab enemies (or whatever they are) are blue instead of red, solely because Sony demanded some sort of immediately-obvious change over the Saturn version when the port was made.

Also apparently the grenades catch things on fire, which they don't do in the Saturn version. That's less a change I dislike and more a change I'm genuinely curious about.

On the bright side, I hear the platforming is easier in the PS1 version, as the Saturn version could have you roll off edges of platforms if you got too close.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

SavageMessiah posted:

I actually really didn't like ZDCMP2. It was way too long, had too many new weapons - none of which were interesting, not enough ammo, way too much time spent wandering around not knowing WTF to do, and a laundry list of other problems. About the only thing it had going for it was that it looked nice.

I really liked ZDCMP2 up until the hell part started. It just got to be a tedious slog of gunning down bullet-spongey enemies after that. I never actually beat it, I am sad to say.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

SavageMessiah posted:

So it's a quintessential ZDoom WAD, in other words.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

SavageMessiah posted:

Actually the new weapons are all cool except for the Nailgun, which never really had a lot of opportunities to stand out. The Flamethrower is really strong (it murders the final boss) and has a huge capacity and the ammo is common enough, and the end of the game has souls all over the place so you get plenty of opportunities to use the Dark Claw and Soulrender. I dunno how they're any less interesting than the vanilla Doom guns. And the automap has an objective marker and there's a key to pull up the objective, so it's no more confusing than say Metroid Prime, and if you don't like Metroid Prime you are actually stupid.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There's tons of weapons and ammo. Only way you can run out of ammo is if you refuse to ever switch to a different weapon than the super shotgun.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah with eight different ammo types there's no real way to run out of ammo, you just have to juggle the weapons a lot. Which is great and vastly preferable to just using the SSG all day.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I can see why Doom purists dislike the map since it has a lot of common Zdoom things in them, but I did really enjoy ZDCMP2 as well - although I'll echo that the Hell section got a bit tedious in places (and the last scene is a hell of a grind if you only have a small amount of health left)

In a bit of Duke-related news, if anybody here enjoyed AMC TC episode 1 the sequel is just around the corner. Originally it was going to be the same sort of length as episode 1 if not shorter...but we got kinda carried away with it :v:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Jblade posted:

I can see why Doom purists dislike the map since it has a lot of common Zdoom things in them, but I did really enjoy ZDCMP2 as well - although I'll echo that the Hell section got a bit tedious in places (and the last scene is a hell of a grind if you only have a small amount of health left)

The trick with the final scene is to have the Soulrender. Charge it up to level 2-3 and fire that shot as far as you possibly can. Never shoot it directly at monsters, always aim at the furthest point you can see and those lightning bolts will chew up monsters the entire lifetime of the projectile.

Almost all the enemies in that last stretch drop souls, too, so you can't really run out of ammo.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Soul Harvesters only drop souls in NG+.

There's still plenty of souls available, but it's not a bottomless supply on your first playthrough.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Soul Harvesters only drop souls in NG+.

Aah, my bad. Must be remembering my NG+ run. Either way you'll still have a decent number of souls left over after that boss anyway. That weapon isn't too good against it, so it's best to use everything else.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

daft punk railroad posted:

So it's a quintessential ZDoom WAD, in other words.

Since somebody mentioned "ZDoom WAD", I have to once again promote "ZPack: Random Maps for ZDoom", which is a MegaWAD in the vein of a Community Chest, split over three episodes and including great work from people like Tormentor667, Vader, and Xaser. I give it two thumbs up--WAY UP. One of my favorite levels is an arena-style map that is built around a clock. Every round is an "hour" on the clock, and as you progress, walls shift around and entries open/close, sometimes significantly rearranging the layout of the arena. It was a really cool experience.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I wonder when I became a doom curmudgeon. Nowadays anything fancier than boom-compatible gives me hives, with very special exception made for Demonsteele because it is awesome. Boom is the wonderful realm where cyriak, skillsaw, ribbiks, and friends play so it's not like I'm missing out on all the good stuff!

Speaking of ribbiks, I'm finally getting around to playing Stardate 20x6 and MAN is it good. I really loved the cyberdemon shooting gallery on map 3. If Sunlust keeps up that level of quality throughout it's going to be a hell of a thing.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Are there that many ZDoom+ map sets though? Almost everything I see marked as ZDoom required is a mapless gameplay mod.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Elliotw2 posted:

Are there that many ZDoom+ map sets though? Almost everything I see marked as ZDoom required is a mapless gameplay mod.

There are a couple, but most of them fall in the realm of either total conversions, mods, or some sort of Brutal Doom variant. (When will you release V20, SgtMarkIV???)

Gene-Tech: Before The Storm
Star Wars Doom (Dark Forces, which I used to think was built on top of the Doom engine, but apparently it wasn't)
Doom: The Golden Souls (Mario themed)
Prodoomer V2

And while it's not specifically for zdoom, I have to recommend the Going Down mapset. It works well with Brutal Doom (and DHTP!), as all of the textures, monsters, and weapons are vanilla, except for the last boss.

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 25, 2015

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Not so many anymore. At one point a great deal of stuff required zdoom, and usually for stupid reasons - some lovely scripting or pointless colored lighting. Fortunately people got away from that and these days most the big ZDoom projects are pretty quality stuff, even if I don't care for most of it. I wonder if The Shores of ZDoom is ever going to come out...

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Jakcson posted:

And while it's not specifically for zdoom, I have to recommend the Going Down mapset. It works well with Brutal Doom (and DHTP!), as all of the textures, monsters, and weapons are vanilla, except for the last boss.

I don't usually weigh in on this kind of thing but congratulations on butchering a fantastic wad. Cyriak put a huge amount of effort into making it look great with vanilla textures and you replaced them. He put a huge amount of effort into tightly balanced gameplay and you changed it. I don't get it.

EDIT: Woops, double post

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Man, reading that OP made me remember playing the Squishy vs. Mecha mod for SHOGO and it reminded me of how much fun Titanfall wasn't. :smith:

I probably need to try out Brutal Doom.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Elliotw2 posted:

nah, not really anymore. most of the high profile zdoom projects these days are gameplay mods. the bulk of the mappers are doing Boom-compat or vanilla-compat.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

SavageMessiah posted:

I don't usually weigh in on this kind of thing but congratulations on butchering a fantastic wad. Cyriak put a huge amount of effort into making it look great with vanilla textures and you replaced them. He put a huge amount of effort into tightly balanced gameplay and you changed it. I don't get it.

This is the most tedious loving argument ever, it would be great to not see this anymore whenever someone brings up gameplay mods. Yes, it tarnishes the heavenly glow of PERFECT DOOM BALANCE but it's possible to still enjoy the game and appreciate the maps anyway.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Elliotw2 posted:

There were a lot of them made in the olden days. Try looking up the Zort and KZDoom series, Ultimate Simplicity, the first four High/Low, Dark7 and mission pack, and other things from the same era.

In fact if you want to look up ZDoom maps, you can use this and sort by number of maps and engine.

In more recent mods, you can look up Scalliano's Threshold of Pain series, if you don't mind the PSX Doom aesthetics. (It's better to play in GZDoom because the palette does bad things to the colored lighting in software.)

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Elliotw2 posted:

Sin city by Ed cripps, gothic quakey style map

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/Ports/m-o/ma_sincity.zip

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

SavageMessiah posted:

I get the complaint about BD, but DHTP?

You know that DHTP is essentially composed of conceptually similar high resolution vanilla textures, right? Without BD, it kinda just makes GD look a little better.

And even without BD, I still ended up using IDDQD on Going Down because I kept getting slaughtered on some of the maps, even on easy mode. Is that a bigger sin than using Brutal Doom?

And I have to confess that I still hate Map 30 of Vanilla Doom 2; getting telefragged just for standing in the wrong place at the wrong time still stinks a lot. I mean, that is the whole point of telefrags, but it makes a simple battle that much more difficult and frustrating. Also, I don't think IDDQD prevents telefrags.

VVVVV - Perhaps I should rephrase my comment: I think Going Down is good for Brutal Doom since some of the maps are essentially slaughter maps that let you see a bunch of the fatalities and the gore, although some maps will cause your computer to cry because of all the decals and gore and whatnot.

I thought the most recent update of DHTP lined up fairly well with the original textures, and in GD, there are some cases where it seems like it makes the original stuff look just a teensy bit better.

I also thought Grezzo 2 was a better game than Ultimate Doom. :devil:

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 25, 2015

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

RyokoTK posted:

This is the most tedious loving argument ever, it would be great to not see this anymore whenever someone brings up gameplay mods. Yes, it tarnishes the heavenly glow of PERFECT DOOM BALANCE but it's possible to still enjoy the game and appreciate the maps anyway.

lol play what you want dude, I like BD too. It's just that everytime someone says "Wad X is great with mods Y&Z", I think the designer weeps a little.

At the same time it doesn't bother me when people mention which wads are good for mod X. I guess we can just chalk this up to me being irrational.

EDIT: Do the DHTP textures tile/line up exactly the same as the original textures? If they don't it seems like it would mess up some of the more intricately textured parts. That's my only complaint about that - you might be missing out on some cool stuff.

EDITEDIT: At least BD doesn't change stuff as much as it used to. Can you imagine map 15 with the spider mastermind with the BFG?!

SavageMessiah fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 25, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jakcson posted:

You know that DHTP is essentially composed of conceptually similar high resolution vanilla textures, right? Without BD, it kinda just makes GD look a little better.
DHTP looks awful, though? The remakes are often amateurish, sometimes don't match textures that are supposed to match and work together, and just plain look bad in environments with geometry and lighting as simple as, well, any given Doom map.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I literally play every wad that doesn't already have gameplay changes with Russian Overkill because it gives me more reason to goof off.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

SavageMessiah posted:

lol play what you want dude, I like BD too. It's just that everytime someone says "Wad X is great with mods Y&Z", I think the designer weeps a little.

At the same time it doesn't bother me when people mention which wads are good for mod X. I guess we can just chalk this up to me being irrational.

I think the designer is probably more pleased that people are enjoying the product than complaining that people are enjoying it the wrong way. I know that's true for myself.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's rare for the designer to actually speak up in protest, he or she always has people doing it for them anyway.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

I think the designer is probably more pleased that people are enjoying the product than complaining that people are enjoying it the wrong way. I know that's true for myself.

It also won a cacoward.

I mean, it's not an oscar or a grammy, but in the Doom community I think it means a lot to them.

And quite honestly, it's one of the best megawads I've played in years. Even if I do "butcher" it with DHTP and BD on occasion.

(I wonder if the Going Down creator would be offended by this post.)

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 25, 2015

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RyokoTK posted:

I think it's OK to talk about gameplay balance in the early FPS thread.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

SavageMessiah posted:

Don't let the whiny babies get you down, this is the Good and True opinion.

quote:

I think it's OK to talk about gameplay balance in the early FPS thread.
:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Early-FPS inspired Share-em-up Gunscape is quickly approaching release quality! Check out its Steam page for more info.

You can grab the latest version of the game directly from their site. Come try out some of the maps that I and a few others in the community made!