Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Preschool we were riding all our hopes on (good program, affordable, walking distance) just let us know they don’t have any open slots like they said they would. Dammit. I think my wife is going to utterly break down if this child doesn’t learn to socialize with someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Renegret posted:

Please stop making GBS threads in the bath.

Kiddo has done that 2, maybe three times? Each time she looks horrified that it happened. The first time she picked up one of the floating turds and tried to hand it to me while saying, “help, help, help”

It was gross but also really funny.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Hey, here's something hosed up. My kid has complained a couple of times that another boy in daycare pushed him and gave him a small boo boo. We asked, the teachers are aware, and they're working with the kid and his parents. We mentioned this to the grandparents off-handedly in our weekly chat, and they're all like "TELL HIM TO HIT BACK!!!" Sure, I'll get my giant, size-of-a-4-year-old 2.5 yo to hit the smaller, non-verbal child who is lashing out because he can't communicate and gets frustrated. That'll fix everything! loving psychos. Maybe practice some empathy instead, hmmm?? Besides, the kid does way worse to himself. Came home with his chin and cheek scraped open because he tripped and fell on a step on the playground. The director gushed over how brave he was when she was washing his face and giving him a bandaid, didn't cry at all. I try to change the bandage this morning? TEARS, so many TEARS and "NO THAT ONE MAMMAAAAAA NO WANT THAT ONE"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
And at 2.5, kids aren't old enough to understand right vs. wrong, and the subtleties of when it's okay to hit someone and when it's not. Not to even mention the whole teaching kids to hit thing because, really.

...though I will say, my 2 year old got scratched at school the other day because he tried to repeatedly snatch a toy out of someone else's hands and, yeah kid you totally had that coming. I don't feel bad one bit. I'm a bad parent.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

God dammit-my son just asked for Blippi while I had him near my computer.

This is the end.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

nwin posted:

God dammit-my son just asked for Blippi while I had him near my computer.

This is the end.

God I was so excited when my daughter got tired of Blippi.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

There is a difference between teaching your kids that sometimes they deserve the consequences of their actions, and telling them it is ok to meet out consequences to others.

Fully functioning humans learn to do both in proportion, but a 2 1/2 year old is going to struggle with getting negative reactions, much less how to proportionately do that to others.

Like my 2 year old sometimes grabs the cat’s tail. We tell her no, but she also needs to learn that being swatted or hissed at by the cat means no too.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I just like keeping blippi around so I can keep making fun of him with my wife after we found out he made a poop video before he created blippi. That being said, she's the only one who plays his videos since we save all the screen time for when she's around and likes him nice and docile for couch cuddles.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

In pre covid times, how did... Short Term Daycare(?) work?

Like if we're both in NYC and have meetings (i.e. no stay at home parent), but have the kid/s with us from out of state/different time zone with no family/friends, do daycare facilities take kids on a short term basis, or do you just have to bring them to the board meeting and pray they're quiet and don't need their diaper changed

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 18, 2021

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Hadlock posted:

In pre covid times, how did... Short Term Daycare(?) work?

Like if we're both in NYC and have meetings (i.e. no stay at home parent), but have the kid/s with us from out of state/different time zone with no family/friends, do daycare facilities take kids on a short term basis, or do you just have to bring them to the board meeting and pray they're quiet and don't need their diaper changed

At least around here there's drop in daycares. You pay by the hour. The drop in daycares around here also usually run after hours and on weekends too.

Edit: For instance https://www.greenkidsfun.com/

Alterian fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 18, 2021

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

BonoMan posted:

God I was so excited when my daughter got tired of Blippi.

Man, I'm lucky. My 3 year old didn't seem too interested in Blippi, but loves Octonauts/Bluey/Garbage Truck (Netflix)/Team Umi Zoomi. Peppa Pig, occasionally, but that one's kind of in the rear view. She does like doing this Cosmic Yoga YouTube show, which I can do some of with her.

We've also managed to keep TV to Friday/Saturday/Sunday.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Red posted:

Man, I'm lucky. My 3 year old didn't seem too interested in Blippi, but loves Octonauts/Bluey/Garbage Truck (Netflix)/Team Umi Zoomi. Peppa Pig, occasionally, but that one's kind of in the rear view. She does like doing this Cosmic Yoga YouTube show, which I can do some of with her.

We've also managed to keep TV to Friday/Saturday/Sunday.

Oh just wait! That was what my kid was in until age 4... then she found blippi.

Now though she watches cool poo poo. She loves Storybots and Operation Ouch (which is amazingly gross).

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We kind of pushed Bluey on our kid because I legit enjoy it and we figured, if we're going to have to watch kid's TV then it might as well be a good show. The new episode with Muffin wearing a cone of shame had me laughing like a giant idiot.

But most of the time he just wants to watch car car. Which means Cars 2. A real shame his favorite cars movie is one of the worst movies Disney ever made.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We're bad parents with the TV. But this is the curse of having two working parents.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I was a "No screen time" parent until it was discovered that Baby Einstein hypnotized him long enough for me to go sit on the toilet with a thousand yard stare for a minute.

Now he's sixteen and I am passed the hell out during the day, so he's watching TV and playing video games for hours, I'm sure.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

my 5 year old has started hitting me and her siblings as her very first response to getting angry this week. we've been working on all the regular recommend responses; talking through her feelings, trying to give her a more appropriate outlet, calming strategies, taking videogame privileges as a consequence. she'll calm down, but as soon as she gets one little frustration she's consumed with rage again. she started biting the last two days now.

wife and i are so confused by the change, and how sudden it happened, and all the book/website/smart parenting advice is not working. we've talked with her teacher, and there's nothing different happening at school, and she's not around any other people.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Renegret posted:

But most of the time he just wants to watch car car. Which means Cars 2. A real shame his favorite cars movie is one of the worst movies Disney ever made.

The whole Cars franchise can burn in hell, probably the most generic movies ever made and they somehow got popular enough to spawn Planes or whatever which is equally horrific

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Cars 3 is good but it's graded on a curve.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

at what age did you all let your child(ren) start watching TV or directly interacting with screen devices such as ipads, etc.?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

pmchem posted:

at what age did you all let your child(ren) start watching TV or directly interacting with screen devices such as ipads, etc.?

I'm not going to answer this because it's going to let on exactly how bad a parent I am.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

pmchem posted:

We let our daughter start watching TV when she was about a year and a half. Prior to that she didn’t really have an interest. Before kids I was dead set on absolutely no screen time before two, but covid kind of ruined that.

She still doesn’t use our phones or any iPad like devices. I let her play a balloon popping game on my phone while waiting in the doctors office once, several months ago, and it was all she wanted to do for the next week. She still asks about it from time to time, but that put the end to me having any desire to let her use devices.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Renegret posted:

If he likes car movies just sit him down with the original 1974 Gone in 60 Seconds :v:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Koivunen posted:

We let our daughter start watching TV when she was about a year and a half. Prior to that she didn’t really have an interest. Before kids I was dead set on absolutely no screen time before two, but covid kind of ruined that.

She still doesn’t use our phones or any iPad like devices. I let her play a balloon popping game on my phone while waiting in the doctors office once, several months ago, and it was all she wanted to do for the next week. She still asks about it from time to time, but that put the end to me having any desire to let her use devices.

Same with our son... probably just after 1.5 years...which was right when COVID started last March-I think we held out for maybe a month or two.

Now at 2.5 years old, he watches 30-60 minutes after breakfast and then maybe another 30-60 minutes after he wakes up from his nap in the afternoon. The cold weather and COVID made us run out of options.

He'll look at pictures on our phones or videos we've taken from time to time, but he doesn't use an ipad or iphone on his own yet. Maybe when kid #2 comes around, we'll think about bringing a tablet into the mix.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

pmchem posted:

My 3-year old barely ever handles our phone/tablet, but she was able to figure out how to swipe pages/pictures and push the right buttons/icons when she was 2. We never showed her how to use the remotes for the TV/etc., but she figured out which one to use to start playing a show on Netflix. About the only time she's used devices in the last year is when we set her up with Facetime for grandparents or friends. A parent at preschool is a jokey magician who occasionally does weekend shows for all the kids.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I just can't bring myself to get worked up over screen time, she does a ton of other stuff and we have the TV on for background noise a lot of the time. She gets some tablet/phone time and is now figuring out how to use it well (almost 2). She usually gets her tablet in the car for longer trips and sometimes I let her play with my phone between when the nanny leaves and dinner time. If not phone, she gets to pick a TV show. It makes for good snuggles. I'm not winning any parent of the year awards but I think it's all about balance.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

killer crane posted:

my 5 year old has started hitting me and her siblings as her very first response to getting angry this week. we've been working on all the regular recommend responses; talking through her feelings, trying to give her a more appropriate outlet, calming strategies, taking videogame privileges as a consequence. she'll calm down, but as soon as she gets one little frustration she's consumed with rage again. she started biting the last two days now.

wife and i are so confused by the change, and how sudden it happened, and all the book/website/smart parenting advice is not working. we've talked with her teacher, and there's nothing different happening at school, and she's not around any other people.

anything stressful happen lately (like a pandemic)? anyone hitting her or bothering her at school? whenever our 3.5 yearold is being a wang we can usually drill down and she's had a hard day because someone stepped on her fingers and didn't say sorry or something like that. the explosive emotion is something we're dealing with too, it feels really like a bad coping strategy to other stress

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
If it weren't for tablets he probably wouldn't know who his grandparents on either side even are so thank goodness for that.

Edit: my father in law lives in a town of 500 people in the middle of nowhere with ISDN internet if anyone remembers that. Video chat over his cell with 4g is the only way he can see his grandson, and last week he locked himself out of his iphone and doesn't have the password so it's been a whole thing.

davebo fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 19, 2021

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Ours watches probably too much TV. We used to let him watch on my wife’s old iPad mini, but he started to melt down when it was time to do literally anything else that didn’t involve watching the iPad or having it in his possession so we had to hide it so it would be out of sight and thus out of mind. Of course he has some game on my wife’s phone she lets him play, which consists of little mini games. Free, it comes with like one game and he plays the poo poo out of that. The rest of the games cost money—but not a one-time deal, no. It’s a loving subscription, and of course our son wants to check out the others. But get this, they are just re-skins of the original game he plays. “Pisa gae” (pizza game) is now part of his vocabulary and we hear that phrase every single day now.

But sure when we need to do something without his involvement and the distraction he presents, the TV comes on—and then he’s all about being near us so will leave the living room to find us, refusing to go back to the living room but getting mad if we just give up and pause the show.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My nephew (2.5) is hyperactive (has been since about 6 months) and he gets all the screentime he wants because his parents don't know how to control him otherwise. It's probably not ideal but it's the only way anybody can hold a conversation for literally 30 seconds. I'm not a huge huge proponent of spanking, but I'd be willing to make an exception for this kid as he's just constantly testing his boundaries because his parents refuse to give him any, and TV is the only thing that sedates him. I'm exhausted just thinking about him.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I thank the good Lord above every day that once the meltdown over turning off the television is done, our kid either eventually just cries it out or calms himself with some deep breaths and carries on with his toys. Basically I’m really glad he can amuse himself, even though a meltdown must by law precede this

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
We've gone through so many different shows/movies as favourites played all time (Duggee/Peppa pig/My Neighbour Totoro/Ponyo/Tron Legacy/Proco Rosso/Daniel Tiger/some others I've probably missed) we've now landed on Youtube clips of Washing Machines with random stuff thrown in them (bricks/fireworks) to Pingu and garden water recycling systems, we're weird as gently caress.

As for tablets though the eldest doesn't really care much for them, he might play some Peppa Pig game if we specifically brought out the Amazon Kids Fire or a little bit of some spelling app where he can use his digital crayon, he'd much rather play with train sets than video games.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Other than getting a passport, and enrolling in daycare/school is there any need to have easy access to a birth certificate on hand? I can't recall ever needing an ID before I could drive as a teenager, and mostly just to drive and get into pg-13 movies

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Other than getting a passport, and enrolling in daycare/school is there any need to have easy access to a birth certificate on hand? I can't recall ever needing an ID before I could drive as a teenager, and mostly just to drive and get into pg-13 movies

Even post-9/11 I don’t remember if I needed an I.D. to fly, but I guess a passport should take care of that even if it’s a domestic flight because it’s a form of official identification. Can’t think of anything else for which you’d need a birth certificate within reach, you’ll rest much better knowing it’s safe with other important documents wherever you keep those in your house. To take it out is to need to put it back later, who needs the added hassle there?

Funny thing is, I forget when you have to even update passports for babies, but if you get one for your kid when they are an infant the photo requirements are kind of strict and then your kid looks a lot different at 2y than they did at 2m. So you’re carrying around a passport for flights that has a pic of an infant who looks almost nothing like the toddler they will turn into.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Just gave our 4.5MO his first taste of solids. (Well, watered-down mashed sweet potato.) We used a silicon spoon with a thick handle, and after a few spoonfuls he grabbed the spoon out of my partner's hand and stuck it in his own mouth. :3:

I love hearing stories like these! I imagine the kid thinking "You sons of bitches have been holding out on me!!!"

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Friday night after spring forward is always pizza and a movie. Since it’s nice weather outside except for a northern wind, I used a tarp to create a block for that as well as some darkness for a theater. I have a fire going on the other side of the patio, can’t complain.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

After reading Cribsheet’s chapter on screen time, I’m pretty chill about screen time. There is literally zero evidence of any harm, and some evidence that high quality shows like sesame street actually help kids. All the studies that show any harm can’t distinguish between the effects of poverty and screen time, because poverty correlates with using a TV as a babysitter.

We do anywhere from no screen time to up to 2 ish hours a day. We stream Amazon shows or PBS kids, usually Daniel Tiger or Sesame Street. We also play some Switch games with her, like Zelda BOTW, Untitled Goose Game, or a coloringbook game.

We started a little after 18 months and Kiddo gets a lot out of it. She knows her numbers, her letters, and all sorts of things from TV.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I let my kid watch as much tv as he wants because I am terrible.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
My dude is still to young for me to worry about screen time, but I have a friend that lets both of her kids watch whatever whenever and they also demand to play on tablets at the same time. I worry that that sort of behavior affects their attention spans long term.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Kid either gets my phone or what she wants TV but not both, mama needs a distraction too kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

My 9mo watches TV, but only with us when we're all watching something. We don't just leave it on. He mostly just plays on the couch rather than watch the tv.

Little dude has also finally decided walking is worth his effort. He found that it's hard to carry 2 things at once if he's crawling and he likes carrying 1 in each hand now. So he's just walking all over the place with 2 things in his hands all day.