Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No it doesn't. Dude doesn't even have any of the bling or accessories the Josuke had (or any at all). People just assumed it was some kind of time poo poo because a had Josuke's haircut which is a really stupid conclusion to make when the entire story is "Josuke has this haircut and style to mimic this cool guy." Yeah no of course they'll look the same.

They show a guy that looks exactly like Josuke in the past and you expect people to not find that suspicious? Even if it wasn't actually meant to be foreshadowing, it's really easy to look at that and think it was supposed to mean something more.

As for the guy not having all the same things as Josuke, Jojo characters change accessories all the time. Just look at what Kakyoin and Okuyasu looked like at the beginning:

It would be pretty easy to chalk something minor like that up to artistic freedom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm with you on why it's an easy conclusion to jump to but your kakyoin and okuyasu examples are kinda really flimsy. Characters looks change, but they never change their accessories really. Like, yes that looks nothing like end Part 3 Kakyoin, but he still has the green school uniform and cherry earrings. Yes, Okuyasu looks weird, but he still has his $ and yen emblems.

Josuke from the get go always his heart and anchor emblems and never changes, saying that someone not wearing them could still be Josuke because it's a fashion change when we never see Josuke change his fashion is ?????

like I'm honestly struggling to think of when a JoJo character undergoes a fashion change that's not Kira or Puccior one that's stylistic like Iggy or Funny Valentine

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Jotaro three times in part 4?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I understand how you feel about that scene but believe me, this discussion always goes the way of "NO THAT'S DUMB HOW COULD YOU ASSUME IT" so just know it's meant as a face-value thing,

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I mean, yeah? but he keeps that dolphin triangle look for like An Episode

also Jotaro is super weird

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Sockser posted:

???

Dude has the collar badges and stuff

And the fact that he immediately knows Josuke is sick and he's all bloody and stuff just reads like a final battle time travel thing but poo poo. Weird.

it's an entirely different coat with none of the poo poo josuke would normally wear. also it's a second-hand account from koichi, not a true flashback

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
Guess who literally never noticed that Kakyoin had earrings shaped like a pair of cherries.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Sockser posted:

???

Dude has the collar badges and stuff

And the fact that he immediately knows Josuke is sick and he's all bloody and stuff just reads like a final battle time travel thing but poo poo. Weird.

It's pretty obvious that it was a dropped plot hook if you use common sense, but you aren't allowed to say that in this thread or the Araki defense force will jump in to shout you down.

it ends up being pretty odd but since he wrote it over a time period of years i'm not going to fault him for not wanting to be locked in to a story decision he made years ago.

CJ fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 27, 2017

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Condiv posted:

also it's a second-hand account from koichi, not a true flashback

Yeah this.

Koichi doesn't actually know what the dude looked like, his entire mental image is just "dude who probably looks like Josuke but isn't"

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Condiv posted:

it's a second-hand account from koichi, not a true flashback

This is the most important part. Koichi's relating the story since Josuke's blindly destroying Rohan's studio at that moment, so we're treated to his interpretation of what he knows, and since Josuke told him that he modeled himself after his savior, we can assume that Koichi imagined that punk to look almost identical to Josuke.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
in reality josuke actually got saved by yusuke, kuwabara and the entire cromartie high cast, this is my theory

Aquasnake posted:

Guess who literally never noticed that Kakyoin had earrings shaped like a pair of cherries.
araki is a master

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm glad that cj will always be there to warm our hearts with their posts of 'actually i'm right and anyone who disagrees is some sort of bootlicker'

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
Jesus christ first shot Kakoyin looks like a fish man.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i would lick the sweat from araki's brow to protect him from the online heathens who poke holes in his creation

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm glad that cj will always be there to warm our hearts with their posts of 'actually i'm right and anyone who disagrees is some sort of bootlicker'

Now we just need The Annasui Discourse to show up again to tide us over until Part 5's confirmed.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

BaDandy posted:

Now we just need The Annasui Discourse to show up again to tide us over until Part 5's confirmed.

How about whether Alessi should have been beaten by young Joseph?

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

CJ posted:

How about whether Alessi should have been beaten by young Joseph?

Who wouldn't want this, tho. :perfect:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Moltrey posted:

I'm with you on why it's an easy conclusion to jump to but your kakyoin and okuyasu examples are kinda really flimsy. Characters looks change, but they never change their accessories really. Like, yes that looks nothing like end Part 3 Kakyoin, but he still has the green school uniform and cherry earrings. Yes, Okuyasu looks weird, but he still has his $ and yen emblems.

Josuke from the get go always his heart and anchor emblems and never changes, saying that someone not wearing them could still be Josuke because it's a fashion change when we never see Josuke change his fashion is ?????

like I'm honestly struggling to think of when a JoJo character undergoes a fashion change that's not Kira or Puccior one that's stylistic like Iggy or Funny Valentine

You wouldn't know Josuke doesn't change his fashion at first, so it's not like it couldn't happen. I was speaking more panel to panel though, where some features might end up missing. As for Okuyasu, I should have pointed out the weird sideburn nails that never show up again.

Also if you want fashion changes, look no further than Annasui :v:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

BaDandy posted:

Who wouldn't want this, tho. :perfect:

but then polnareff humps jotaro

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

BaDandy posted:

He doesn't have any of the heart/peace symbol pins. The stuff that's on there just comes with the jacket collar.

It is weird that he has the poo poo beat out of him already for unknown reasons, but this kind of flashback happens again in part 5, so :shrug:

No it's not weird. The whole moral of the part and Josuke as a character is that "It's good and cool to help out people even if it sets you back." and he's like that because of this guy who selflessly helped out a single mother and her sick baby in a snow storm even though he was hurt.

It's the entire point on the whole thing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the funny part about the whole 'this guy looks like josuke' thing is that that's literally the point of the flashback

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Okay but really, read in context, it's never come across to me that the delinquent was a "Josuke goes through weird time poo poo" plot point. There's not really anything in the writing itself that indicates that, and Weird Time poo poo doesn't become the standard until much later on and arguably doesn't even start to get super weird like that until...I dunno, middle to late Part 5? And the only time powers that we've seen up to that point are Dio's (and Jotaro's, lol)

I'm wondering if people just vaguely hear about the weird poo poo that happens in JoJo and just expect a weird plot twist to happen as a matter of course or if I'm just missing something. I get that with his looks it's understandable but like people already said, that's Koichi picturing what happened. Not to mention that a random stranger doing something helpful for someone they don't really know happens all the time in JoJo anyway? It's literally one of the main themes of the entire series so why can't a random delinquent bail out a young mom and her kid from a snowstorm? Especially when we have a nobleman who bails a guy out of prison who knows drat well the guy didn't actually try to save him, a lovely British teenager saving a random black kid from rear end in a top hat cops, or Jotaro saving the kid who tried to murder him from a brain-eating flesh bud for reasons he can't fully explain? Why continue that with a flashback scene of roughly the same thing happening with Giorno if that wasn't really a constant theme? What would be the point of Josuke ultimately saving himself when that twist renders that meaningless?

I think that's where the strong reaction is more coming from, although saying that people are being shouted down is kind of...really? Seems more like people are just tired of having to explain the same thing over and over again. :v:

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No it's not weird. The whole moral of the part and Josuke as a character is that "It's good and cool to help out people even if it sets you back." and he's like that because of this guy who selflessly helped out a single mother and her sick baby in a snow storm even though he was hurt.

It's the entire point on the whole thing.

Well yeah, I know that, but I more meant "What is he doing in the middle of nowhere beat up like that?" I know why it isn't explained, because Josuke probably lost track of him, and it doesn't really need to be explained because that's not the overall point.

Still, there's a story there, you know?

edit: It is so much more interesting for me to think about what the random dude's situation out there in a blizzard implies than it just being Josuke from the future, but that's just personal taste I guess. :shrug:

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 27, 2017

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

It's fine it is a random stranger and all, but the weird attitude some people get when a person says that even for one second they thought it was Josuke is a little weird.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
That's fair, but I feel like that's more from having to keep debunking it over and over, especially when one of the points of the flashback is "And that's why Josuke looks like he does".

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
trust everyone, especially yourself

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Augus posted:

imagine being named after such a good boy and yet having such bad taste

Yeah, I gotta

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

It's fine it is a random stranger and all, but the weird attitude some people get when a person says that even for one second they thought it was Josuke is a little weird.

It's weird because it's based on nothing.

Like the story is not subtle but people still somehow don't understand it.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's weird because it's based on nothing.

Like the story is not subtle but people still somehow don't understand it.

It's because he looks exactly like Josuke but with slightly different styling of his jacket, he's mysteriously bloodied and his eyes (and in the anime, voice) are deliberately obscured.

Like yeah, it's the wrong idea and I'm tired of it too but don't pretend like it's some arcane mystery why people would come up with it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

It's because he looks exactly like Josuke but with slightly different styling of his jacket, he's mysteriously bloodied and his eyes (and in the anime, voice) are deliberately obscured.

Like yeah, it's the wrong idea and I'm tired of it too but don't pretend like it's some arcane mystery why people would come up with it.

It's an origin story for his look.

It would be weird if they looked nothing alike.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it would not be out of place in anime for there to be some time travel poo poo happening, especially when weird time poo poo has already happened

what is out of place is people going ballistic because someone asks about it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

it would not be out of place in anime for there to be some time travel poo poo happening, especially when weird time poo poo has already happened

When did time travel happen unless you mean like in all anime but you couldn't be as that is dumb.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

it's gonna turn out that that guy was josefumi

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

grieving for Gandalf posted:

The thing is the discussion has been repeated for so many years I reckon people are just fed up with it. You should be patient with new people getting into JoJo and asking the same questions but I get where they're coming from

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

When did time travel happen unless you mean like in all anime but you couldn't be as that is dumb.

They said weird time poo poo happened, not time travel

After a Stand that can stop time it's not that big of a stretch to think there might also be a Stand that can send someone back in time

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The flashback guy is beat up because he's a delinquent. That's why he has the pomp. It's like y'all never seen an anime before

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
For real; he was probably just looking for Cromartie but got lost and found a Jojo instead. Rather than admit that he wandered onto the wrong set, he did the coolest thing he could at the time.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Moltrey posted:

in reality josuke actually got saved by yusuke, kuwabara and the entire cromartie high cast, this is my theory

araki is a master

You loving bitch I was just about to post "dunno why people are confused about who saved Josuke"

You are my posting Gary Oak.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Why haven't I seen an animated Sweet Italian boy named, Giorno, yet?

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 27, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

KidDynamite posted:

Why haven't I seen an animated Sweet Utalian boy named, Giorno, yet?

Because you haven't played the JP-only PS2 game?

I was going to post that Ultra Jump Jojoveller ad but I watched it again and it turns out it doesn't have Giorno in it.

e: wait

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQeLSrduucM&t=215s

Olive! fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Mar 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thinking daily about how good part 7 is