Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I started my first game of Gathering Storm yesterday as Kupe. I quickly found a continent except it was stacked with goddamn city states everywhere along the coast. Ended up sailing along the edge of the continent for like 10 turns before I could find coast that wasn't already settled.

Is that normal or was I just massively unlucky? Should I have disembarked and looked for a good spot inland? It feels so weird to spend the first crucial turns just sailing around doing nothing, even if I am getting decent science and culture in the meantime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

The Human Crouton posted:

What setting do I have to use to get any kind of late game activity?
...multiplayer. (sorry)

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

The Human Crouton posted:

Has anyone found a way to make the AI actually do start some wars, or really do anything from the industrial age onward? I play on standard size map, 8 players, immortal; and every game I've ever played has always been everyone just chilling out and signing alliances with me for the last 100 turns. What setting do I have to use to get any kind of late game activity?

Luck, honestly. I played a game as Sweden and was Everyone's Friend, but they were all at war with each other. Rome was in a neverending war with Cree and took a lot of their cities with a big army of GDRs, the dutch nuked Egypt a few times... it was absolute chaos.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Fleetwood Crack posted:

...multiplayer. (sorry)

It's okay. I was expecting it.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

thanks alot assbag posted:

Luck, honestly. I played a game as Sweden and was Everyone's Friend, but they were all at war with each other. Rome was in a neverending war with Cree and took a lot of their cities with a big army of GDRs, the dutch nuked Egypt a few times... it was absolute chaos.

When I was Sweden Russia and America were my neighbors and declared war every era. It really is a lot of factors out of control

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
My first full game of GS I had an actual foreverwar against Russia, which I don't think I've seen on Civ 6 before. Usually they're very quick to sue for peace, but even after dismantling his army he'd refuse peace without a bribe I wasn't going to give him.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Started a game today and I spawned near Mt Kilimanjaro, and with the other tiles around it I decide to go for an early religion rather build up my army. Well Norway decides to send his troops over to invade, and when he has them near my capital, Kilimanjaro erupts and wipes out half of his army :lol:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

The Glumslinger posted:

Started a game today and I spawned near Mt Kilimanjaro, and with the other tiles around it I decide to go for an early religion rather build up my army. Well Norway decides to send his troops over to invade, and when he has them near my capital, Kilimanjaro erupts and wipes out half of his army :lol:

Kilimanjaro? More like Killamanjaro!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

Hephaestus heard your prayers, clearly.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
So I decided to finally give VI a try yesterday and it's alright. Feels basically like V but with a new coat of paint and some various changes. One thing though, is it just me or does pillaging seem to be pretty strong? I wandered into a war with Persia since they were attacking one of my city-states and while his army sucked I didn't really feel like taking his lovely cities so I had my horseman and knight run around his territory pillaging and I'm getting shittons of gold/culture/science/faith from it. I threw on the raid policy and I'm just drowning in loot.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Pillaging being so rewarding is kind of cool. You can make your army profitable without needing to be set up to take cities. Just harass with raiding parties like the dipshits of yore

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gobblecoque posted:

So I decided to finally give VI a try yesterday and it's alright. Feels basically like V but with a new coat of paint and some various changes. One thing though, is it just me or does pillaging seem to be pretty strong? I wandered into a war with Persia since they were attacking one of my city-states and while his army sucked I didn't really feel like taking his lovely cities so I had my horseman and knight run around his territory pillaging and I'm getting shittons of gold/culture/science/faith from it. I threw on the raid policy and I'm just drowning in loot.

The new expac & patch just buffed the hell out of pillaging rewards, before it was like a flat base of 25 of whatever resource (50 for gold.)

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Gobblecoque posted:

I really like the strong pillaging so far. It gives more reason to go to war if you're not really interested in capturing cities.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
It looks like the raid and total war policies stack. :yeshaha: Sure, I'll take 1100 gold for pillaging a camp.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I actually like the resource stockpiles. It gives incentive both to trade them away when you don't need them, and to trade to get them. I had good good production but needed uranium, so I just kept buying it

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Gobblecoque posted:

It looks like the raid and total war policies stack. :yeshaha: Sure, I'll take 1100 gold for pillaging a camp.

I thought you got Total War from Scorched Earth civic which obsoletes a bunch of cards like Raid.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

ccubed posted:

I thought you got Total War from Scorched Earth civic which obsoletes a bunch of cards like Raid.

If it's supposed to obsolete it then I guess it doesn't.

Edit: Oh okay, apparently it obsoletes it at the end of the turn you get it but during that turn you can go hogwild with them both, which I did.

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 20, 2019

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Ah that's like a time I had two cards that both boosted campus adjacency, I thought I had found something amazing, but it only lasted one turn.

Another neat thing I noticed recently was that the great general Boudicca highlights where barbarians are on the map, even if you can't see them. Quite unintentional I'm sure!

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
After watching this Marbozir video with the Inca I'm wondering if you can do any trade route shenanigans using transporters, I mean mountain tunnels.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

MP Action report: Aztec player declared war on me after eating all the nearby city states, but I will make them pay in blood.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Quick question: when you build a district on top of features or bonus resources do you automatically get the lump food/production from them as if you had used a builder to remove them?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gobblecoque posted:

Quick question: when you build a district on top of features or bonus resources do you automatically get the lump food/production from them as if you had used a builder to remove them?

Very much no, you need to chop beforehand if you want those bonuses.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I can really recommend playing with disasters on 4. You get super storms that fertilizes 12 tiles at a time, I got that one 6 times in 190 turns, ended up with flat desert tiles with 2 food and 4 production.
Volcanoes 2 tiles eruptions are hilarious to watch too as they kill a lot of poo poo.

I really miss Civ5 map scripts and options, does anyone know a good map mod except Perfect World where achievements still work?

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 21, 2019

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
If anyone knows the answers to these obscure as gently caress questions, I would appreciate the insight:

1) What is the hot key for city attack?
2) Do mobile sams intercept silo and submarine launched nukes or bombers only?
3) What other units can intercept nukes? Is it just anything with anti-air strenght?
4) What is the actual rebase range of fighters and bombers?
5) Do fighters deployed on patrol protect adjacent hexes or every hex in their operational range?
6) Are interceptions guranteed or chance based?

Would love to know.

Captain Gordon fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 21, 2019

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Tahirovic posted:

I really miss Civ5 map scripts and options, does anyone know a good map mod except Perfect World where achievements still work?

I've been using the Detailed Worlds map scripts, they're at least notably more interesting than the base game scripts.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Captain Gordon posted:

If anyone knows the answers to these obscure as gently caress questions, I would appreciate the insight:

1) What is the hot key for city attack?
2) Do mobile sams intercept silo and submarine launched nukes or bombers only?
3) What other units can intercept nukes? Is it just anything with anti-air strenght?
4) What is the actual rebase range of fighters and bombers?
5) Do fighters deployed on patrol protect adjacent hexes or every hex in their operational range?
6) Are interceptions guranteed or chance based?

Would love to know.

1. If it is not 'V' it doesn't exist
2. All nukes are intercepted if the anti-air unit is in the path of the missile AFAIK.
3. Anything with anti-air strength and also missile cruisers it seems
4. It's like 20 hexes or something, pretty far. All bases/carriers within the re-base range should light up blue when you click re-base on a fighter/bomber.
5. Good question, the AI never ever builds aircraft so I don't know to be honest.
6. In Civ V (where the AI actually built aircraft) it was guaranteed within a certain range like 3 hexes.

Most of your questions I had to google, despite having hundreds of hours in this game I have no idea how anti-air works since the AI never uses airpower. My own win-the-game strategy when I just want to knock out a conquest victory is 2 carriers with 2 jet bombers each and 1 mechanized infantry and 4 submarines to protect them and launch nukes in case I can't reach a city with the bombers.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

TjyvTompa posted:

1. If it is not 'V' it doesn't exist
2. All nukes are intercepted if the anti-air unit is in the path of the missile AFAIK.
3. Anything with anti-air strength and also missile cruisers it seems
4. It's like 20 hexes or something, pretty far. All bases/carriers within the re-base range should light up blue when you click re-base on a fighter/bomber.
5. Good question, the AI never ever builds aircraft so I don't know to be honest.
6. In Civ V (where the AI actually built aircraft) it was guaranteed within a certain range like 3 hexes.

Most of your questions I had to google, despite having hundreds of hours in this game I have no idea how anti-air works since the AI never uses airpower. My own win-the-game strategy when I just want to knock out a conquest victory is 2 carriers with 2 jet bombers each and 1 mechanized infantry and 4 submarines to protect them and launch nukes in case I can't reach a city with the bombers.

I thought you couldn't put bombers on carriers? Good to know.

And you are right on about the AI, those questions are mostly for multiplayer. The missile cruiser has a patched-in AA strength now it seems, so it makes sense that it falls under "all AA units can intercept nukes" rule. In theory, so could AA guns and Battleships, I guess? Some civ concepts are obscure as gently caress XD

Captain Gordon fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 21, 2019

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Captain Gordon posted:

I thought you couldn't put bombers on carriers? Good to know.

And you are right on about the AI, those questions are mostly for multiplayer. The missile cruiser has a patched-in AA strength now it seems, so it makes sense that it falls under "all AA units can intercept nukes" rule. In theory, so could AA guns and Battleships, I guess? Some civ concepts are obscure as gently caress XD

Yeah the reason I found out missile cruisers can shoot down missiles is because someone else noticed it and asked about it, it is not documented anywhere that I have seen. Bombers on carriers is the most OP poo poo ever, maybe not against real players but against the AI it is a guaranteed win. To begin with they never build aircraft, like literally NEVER, and they usually do not build a navy after entering the modern era, maybe the units take too long for the AI to build or something. Just roll around the world bombing everything to poo poo and capturing their cities with a single mechanized infantry.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
With the snow day yesterday, I finally got off the fence and bought the expansion with some Amazon funbux I had. Its pretty good, the Maori start really is interesting and fun twist. I am hoarding Diplomatic Favor, despite barely using it. But being able to get extra amenities out of extra copies of all the drat Amber I had was a cool vote. Does seem like strategic resources are a bit thin. Disasters seems like they would be dumb, but are awesome.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Strategic resources are the one thing I really like in this expansion. I'm in a game, as China, where I'm very likely going to win a cultural victory. The problem is that I only expanded to 4 cities because I was busy building every wonder I could. I have no uranium or oil anywhere in my empire, and only one source of coal. So I'm pumping out great writers as fast as I can, and trading books for tiny amounts of resources to keep my fleets at the ready.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Apparently Aspyr accidentally let the cat DLC out of the bag before 2K/Firaxis were ready to disclose it.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!

hopefully for the iPad too

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
So here's a fun story. As I was playing a game where the Co2 generation was very hosed up centuries before it should have, I noticed my great artist could still slot great works into a half-ruined empty gallery in my semi-submerged theatre square. Just to see what would happen, I brought her over and slotted one in a turn before climate change completely destroyed it

Which resulted in my great artist getting in touch with her inner great prophet and walking on water:

I then took her rear end over to Hermitage and filled the rest of it with her other two works. Later on, I started heisting some great works of art from Mansa Musa, the first two of which mysteriously didn't appear anywhere in my great works tab. They just disappeared into thin air. It dawned on me that I had actually stolen a couple of pieces of Mali cultural heritage and immediately sunk them into some ruins at the bottom of the ocean.

Which inspired some other Jesus-wannabies to walk on water and miracle up them some fish on that very spot.

Not pictured: God getting fed up with all of this heresy going full Sodom on Saint John by having the volcano go megacolossal three times in succession. Each time agonizingly stretching-out the final three production turns of the Amundsen-Scott Research Station.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
has anyone else noticed that conquered cities are hella hard to keep loyal?

ive found it is better to just have a wave of settlers ready to make new cities, and raise all of the ones i conquer. Even with the govener lady i always seem to conquer a city and then lose it, having them become a free city.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Capture capital first. Use loyalty from garrison-card, and drop governors.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

oh man

Civ is such a perfect Switch game, the only thing saving me from having it take over my life completely has been the lack of expansions

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

CoolHandMat posted:

has anyone else noticed that conquered cities are hella hard to keep loyal?

ive found it is better to just have a wave of settlers ready to make new cities, and raise all of the ones i conquer. Even with the govener lady i always seem to conquer a city and then lose it, having them become a free city.

If the city you conquer isn't close to one of yours you need to conquer 2 enemy cities close together so they give loyalty to each other and put a governor in at least one of them, preferably both. Also don't conquer cities during dark ages.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Hey all I just got established here, so where all the great works at -

:yikes:

thanks alot assbag fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 21, 2019

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Are the scenarios worth doing at all? Or just a stick to making your own games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Jovial Cow posted:

Are the scenarios worth doing at all? Or just a stick to making your own games?

Outback Tycoon's a nice peaceful builder game if that's your thing.