Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Savage For The Winjun posted:

Metal gear solid 2 is the best metal gear

In my younger days we met up and played through MGS 1, 2, 3, and 4 every monday. Metal Gear Mondays we called it. 2 was easily the best one, and the fact that it trolled players so hard with Raiden was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Blizzard fans are easily pleased.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The fade segment in dragon age origins was actually pretty cool and good.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Twelve Batmans posted:

In my younger days we met up and played through MGS 1, 2, 3, and 4 every monday. Metal Gear Mondays we called it. 2 was easily the best one, and the fact that it trolled players so hard with Raiden was great.

You and your friends had a casual habit of beating 4 videogames in a row every monday? Are the cutscenes that skippable? What was your technique?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

The fade segment in dragon age origins was actually pretty cool and good.

Yes, if you did it right after the Deep Roads

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Dorothy Lynch posted:

Street Fighter IV is probably the best e-Sport Ive ever seen simply because its easy to enjoy watching even if you have never played the game.

It's a shame it got pushed out by the mediocre SF5. The years SF4 was the main event at EVO were awesome

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Olaf The Stout posted:

You and your friends had a casual habit of beating 4 videogames in a row every monday? Are the cutscenes that skippable? What was your technique?

After one playthrough the cutscenes are easily skippable, and they're pretty replayable games.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

It's good but 3 is still better

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

bradzilla posted:

look at this guy posting good opinions in the bad opinion thread

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Two is better to play for the first time, especially when you're 12 like I was, but three is better to play more than once because its just got such rad levels.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

bradzilla posted:

MGS 3 is like C&C: Red Alert 2 for me in the sense that both seemingly came out of nowhere with little fanfare at the time and just nailed everything I liked about their respective series that has yet to be matched.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Olaf The Stout posted:

Lol I said it wrong. But I think people know what I meant.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vanilla MGS3 was flawed enough they rushed out a paid replacement version called Subsistence. This is good though, cause subsistence is one the best overhauls of a game ever and if DLC existed in that era MGS3 would have been buried because nobody buys non day-one singleplayer DLC.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 4, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Vakal posted:

MGS 3 is like C&C: Red Alert 2 for me in the sense that both seemingly came out of nowhere with little fanfare at the time and just nailed everything I liked about their respective series that has yet to be matched.

I don't like the MGS games but drat is this a good description of Red Alert 2.

Was RA3 worth playing?

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

I guess im the only one who remembers downloading 140p mgs3 trailers from like gamescom 2003 and similar

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Was RA3 worth playing?

Its not as good as RA2 but has full campaign coop and some amazing cutscenes and costs like 3 dollara now, so yes buy it

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Barudak posted:

Its not as good as RA2 but has full campaign coop and some amazing cutscenes and costs like 3 dollara now, so yes buy it

I just checked and it's still $20 on Origin and Steam lol

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Was RA3 worth playing?

I remember it being too short and not doing all it could with what it had.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I probably already know the answer to this :( but how was C&C4?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
C&C4, as described to me:
It's a hugely pared-down version of an RTS, in which your main base is a mobile walker which can spit out a subset of units depending on which one you pick (attack, defense, utility). The entire game is control-point based, with you and your allies taking your smallish army/squad about capping points vs the enemy team.
A very telling first line of it's Wikiepdia article: The game was originally started as an Asian market online-only version of Command & Conquer 3

It killed the franchise fanbase super-dead, same as Blizzard did years later with it's newest Diablo release.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I probably already know the answer to this :( but how was C&C4?

Not good, not really a RTS even.

But they are remastering C&C and RedAlert so you can just go back and play the good ones again in future.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Well that's brutal. Was it 3 or 4 that introduced the alien faction? Yuri's Revenge was the last game in that series I ever played.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Laffo. I remember in sales it used to be like 5 bucks so I assumed it kept going down but lol no

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Well that's brutal. Was it 3 or 4 that introduced the alien faction? Yuri's Revenge was the last game in that series I ever played.

3 introduced the aliens and had a fun single player campaign.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Tiberium is actually a pretty interesting plot device and one that makes sense for a RTS; the introduction of a miracle material with which you can make an army's worth of materiel in a matter of hours and isn't just plentiful but actively growing.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tiberian Sun was good

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Eh it was okayish

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Snow Cone Capone posted:

:psyduck:

For the record, the entire series is also going for 20$ on origin right now

e:like how do you mess pricing up that comically bad? RA3(base game, no expansions) costs the exact same as all 9 games including expansions. I just checked to make sure I wasn't crazy.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 4, 2019

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Barudak posted:

Vanilla MGS3 was flawed enough they rushed out a paid replacement version called Subsistence. This is good though, cause subsistence is one the best overhauls of a game ever and if DLC existed in that era MGS3 would have been buried because nobody buys non day-one singleplayer DLC.

Original MGS3 was perfectly good even with the camera that was counterintuitive to the new, less "MGS1” style of gameplay. Not that Subsistence was bad in any way. Literally a 10/10 game being upgraded to 11/10.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Zzulu posted:

Eh it was okayish

Emperor: Battle for Dune though was really fun.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

Original MGS3 was perfectly good even with the camera that was counterintuitive to the new, less "MGS1” style of gameplay. Not that Subsistence was bad in any way. Literally a 10/10 game being upgraded to 11/10.

Maybe you get used to it eventually but I hated the original camera so much that I bought the game, played through the opening and then sold it to a friend after a week.

I got the Subsistence one years later and it's my favorite in the series.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just out of curiosity, have you played Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Snake's Revenge has the best Metal Gear cover by far.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Wolfenstein II's cutscenes with your dad are the dumbest loving things. Same with the nazi woman. Eye-rollingly bad.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

"I hate Jews! And my Jewish wife! And black people! NOW KILL YOUR DOG!"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The fact you cant skip them is the real problem.

Unskippable cutscenes are always wrong.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wolfenstien reboot is all around pretty bad tbh. I have no idea why people like it so much. Especially since Doom reboot came out and it was 100 times better.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Molothecat posted:

Wolfenstein II's cutscenes with your dad are the dumbest loving things. Same with the nazi woman. Eye-rollingly bad.

Its funny how they work so hard to justify why beejay wants to kill the nazis, as though we aren't already just inclined to wanna kill them in video games already

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Barudak posted:

The fact you cant skip them is the real problem.

Unskippable cutscenes are always wrong.

I sent my beloved hound to the great beyond all the sooner just to end that stupid cutscene. Your dad's prepped "beatin' room" complete with a sawhorse with wrist straps and conveniently located dog tether for shotgun murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Wolfenstien reboot is all around pretty bad tbh. I have no idea why people like it so much. Especially since Doom reboot came out and it was 100 times better.

The people who didnt like the newest wolfenstein as much as the new order are a little right because yeah its not as good but also baffling because the new order is not a good game either.