Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Forseti posted:

I don't think any of the Cortex-Ms have an MMU. Some have a memory protection unit and/or "execute in place" capability for external flash/SRAM.

Can you write your graphics module in C and just call it from your larger Rust application?

Totally different beast but when I was writing FreeRTOS on Motorola HCS12 chips the only way to keep track of the stack was fill it with known value at the beginning and keep an eye on it in the debugger to make sure it didn't write past the end of it.

Edit: Oh I guess the STM32MP line is Cortex-A, I was thinking those weren't part of the STM32 line for some reason. Is are you using one of those?
I think I misunderstood this pdf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
No worries, marketing departments muddy the waters on that quite a bit. Like the ESP32 straight up says it has an MMU in the datasheet, but it's also more of a protection unit and doesn't have the features needed for the non-ucLinux version of the Linux kernel.

I wish I actually knew something about Rust and could help you with your problem but to be honest I'm not totally sure what you're trying to do in the first place :). It sounds like you're writing something akin to C's 'sprintf'? What display are you writing for, is it like an SPI/I2C display? Because a lot of times those have a frame buffer on the controller itself. Sometimes the boards don't break out the pins needed to read it back though.

This dude actually used his display's memory to extend his program memory: https://ioprog.com/2020/05/19/breadboard-games-2020/

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

That's a neat hack. I'm using a SPI 400x300px 4.2" e-paper device. There's enough memory on the STM32 to put the whole frame buffer in memory, although there are tricks about dividing it into sub-displays if needed to use on memory-constrained devices.

This type of display has has some tricks involved if you don't want to have it flash the screen white/black/white and take 5s to refresh, and if you abuse them, it causes burn-in. Working through some of those now to try to make it more responsive. Using a HAL lib to make it happen.

The formatting code is nothing too fancy. In effect, it's similar to `sprintf`, but the API's awk to it modifying buffers in place instead of returning. And you have to guess at the buffer size. (Depending on decimal precision, and how much you expect the number to vary. I could probably fix the former, but the naive approach results in compile errors)

Rust code:
#[inline(never)]
/// Split a float at the decimal point, for use with integeral-to-string
/// heapless no_std conversions, like `numtoa`.
fn split_at_decimal(v: f32, precision: u8) -> (u16, u16) {
    let multiplier = 10_i8.pow(precision as u32); // 10^decimal precision
    let rhs = v % 1.;

((v - rhs) as u16, (rhs * multiplier as f32).round() as u16)
}

#[inline(never)]
/// Process a float into a pair of strings: left of decimal, right of decimal.
fn float_to_strs<'a>(
    v: f32,
    buffer_l: &'a mut [u8],
    buffer_r: &'a mut [u8],
    precision: u8,
) -> (&'a str, &'a str) {
    let (lhs, rhs) = split_at_decimal(v, precision);
    let result_l = lhs.numtoa_str(10, buffer_l);
    let result_r = rhs.numtoa_str(10, buffer_r);

(result_l, result_r)
}

#[inline(never)]
/// Process a float into a &str.
pub fn float_to_str<'a>(
    v: f32,
    buff_l: &'a mut [u8],
    buff_r: &'a mut [u8],
    buff_result: &'a mut [u8],
    precision: u8,
) -> usize {
    let (l, r) = float_to_strs(v, buff_l, buff_r, precision);

// todo: This works, but is awk. Have it return the str if able, and
    // todo not require the post-processing. Running into ownership(?) issues.

let mut i = 0;
    for c in l.as_bytes() {
        buff_result[i] = *c;
        i += 1;
    }
    buff_result[i] = ".".as_bytes()[0];
    i += 1;
    for c in r.as_bytes() {
        buff_result[i] = *c;
        i += 1;
    }
    (l.len() + 1 + r.len()) as usize
}

Re the on-board buffer - no idea. I'm debating whether I want to use a display with built-in board for the final device, or to design the circuitry into my own board.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 1, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I was thinking "why not use sprintf" but didn't know anything about rust so assumed I might be missing something dumb.

What's wrong with this picture?

Nothing? I didn't see anything either for the whole day as I was tracking down a problem. But see that Ground on pin 14? Turns out it's connected to pin 3 on this 74HC245 octal transceiver, which is an i/o pin.

Connecting and setting it up appropriately solved everything. So just a PSA not to trust Chinese silkscreen and double check (non-existent) datasheets or at least probe the circuit if something looks suspicious.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah I was thinking "why not use sprintf" but didn't know anything about rust so assumed I might be missing something dumb.
Specifically you can use
Rust code:
my_float.to_string()
or more generally :
Rust code:
format!("some var: {}", my_float)
But you have to enable an allocator first. Cortex-m has one and Rust provides a lib that makes the standard heap stuff work once you enable it. Rust has two types of strings: A mutable, dynamic one, and an immutable static reference one. The former requires the allocator. The kludge I posted allows me to turn floats to string without using the dynamic string.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 1, 2020

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Hey, I think I have the same e-paper display! Waveshare? The controller is actually on the screen part (chip-on-glass) so you should be able to replicate what's on the board without much trouble.

Applied Science actually scraped off the stuff around it so he could probe it on a similar model but you might have already watched this very video if you're looking at faster refreshes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsbiO8EAsGw&t=1148s

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Nailed it! I watched that vid a few days ago. Helped in getting the quickrefresh working. I've been exchanging emails with a guy who patched the HAL lib about the best way to make this work fast. I'm going to try to patch his patch to make it work without streaming. I have one of the black/white/red panels around too with no board. Curious if I could make it work with the Waveshare board.

I've done various experimenting today about what operations will trigger faster/slower operation. The dude in the video has a sick 3hz animation. I don't need it that fast, but the full refresh is unsat if it's every time. I've also tuned the code pretty specifically for my use to minimize refreshes.

My display code's now a clusterfuck of sub-displays. Quick-refreshing one is much faster than doing the whole thing (Fine for my use), but am getting artifacts on the other parts of the screen when I do this.

You can get the screens with no board cheap on Alibaba.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 1, 2020

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Dominoes posted:

But you have to enable an allocator first. Cortex-m has one

Nitpicking here but it’s a distinction that your previous posts have seemed a bit hazy on in the past: The Cortex-M architecture doesn’t “have an allocator,” the standard library you’re building with that targets Cortex-M has an allocator that you can optionally enable and use. The specific microcontroller you’re using may have hardware features that make writing an allocator easier (like an MMU which can manage paging and create an abstract heap area) but that in and of itself is not an allocator. An allocator is a software feature that enables heap usage, expressed as calls like “malloc” and “new” in C and C++.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I appreciate the clarification. I need to read up more on this stuff. (Or stay away as long as I can get away with)

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

The MPU in Cortex-M is used for setting certain memory regions as read-only, no-execute, etc. Very useful since any violation immediately triggers the MemManage interrupt and sets registers which tell you the address of both the illegal access and the instruction. Good debuggers can automatically catch the interrupt and do the fault analysis for you which is a great help.

Hopefully this is less necessary when using Rust though! :)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

:parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

https://twitter.com/53Tedhu/status/1267366230500864004

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Hey guys, got an especially stupid question for you all. I recently picked up an ESP32-WROVER-KIT development board... And promptly realized it's double sided when it arrived. Anybody here have any recommendations on how to physically mount it while I'm working on it to avoid physically stressing the various components? Am I actually supposed to get some L brackets and try to hold it at a 90 degree angle to my desk if I want access to the pins on each side? Those screw holes seem a little flimsy and small for that, but I'm no mechanical engineer.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Something like a http://www.stickvise.com/ or https://www.panavise.com/ is ideal.

Alternately you can find some little standoffs and screw it into a board (perhaps...dare I say...a breadboard), or just tape it down if you're real ghetto

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
We used to use pieces of the really dense resin sheets that we made microscope bases from where I worked before. Drilled and tapped and then standoffs installed with the boards attached to the standoffs and rubber feet on the bottom of the resin. It worked really well, the weight was great for keeping it from sliding around the desk when plugging in cables or manipulating the buttons. Not sure what it was made from but I suspect some sort of phenolic resin? If someone has a good idea what it is, I'd love to know so I can get some myself honestly. You can see it in this picture.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So I think I'm pretty close to the first prototype board. Since the schematic I got rid of one cap and changed some pin assignments mostly.
Turns out all the pin names I set up didn't translate into net names so that was a pain in the rear end.

There are some constraints on the physical layout and pin mappings which could some of the questionable choices, and I'm aware of a couple problems, but it'd be great if anyone spots anything else particularly dumb.

I can't get it to recognize pin 4 on the voltage regulator as the output like pin 2 :argh:
C4 and C5 are supposed to be as close as possible to the input and that might not be close enough, so I'll try to shuffle things around a bit.
The USB connector footprint violates the default clearance rules but I don't think there's anything I could do about that.
Also the back side isn't happening since I can (hopefully) only make single-sided boards for now.

inkmoth posted:

Hey guys, got an especially stupid question for you all. I recently picked up an ESP32-WROVER-KIT development board... And promptly realized it's double sided when it arrived. Anybody here have any recommendations on how to physically mount it while I'm working on it to avoid physically stressing the various components? Am I actually supposed to get some L brackets and try to hold it at a 90 degree angle to my desk if I want access to the pins on each side? Those screw holes seem a little flimsy and small forW that, but I'm no mechanical engineer.

You wouldn't have this problem with knockoff $2 aliexpress boards :v:

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Thanks guys. No clue how I've made it this far without realizing that circuit board vises are a thing. That stickvise is certainly cool, but I decided to get a PanaVise 324 set since it seems like a good tool to have on hand for both working with this devkit (albeit overkill) and all my future projects!

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
You need to break out IO0 and RST (sometimes called ESP_EN) as well, otherwise you're not going to be able to program it.

Also that footprint of LDO is inconsistent with the metal tab. Leave it unconnected, like you have. Some parts use it as ground, some as output voltage, so it'll gently caress you up.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
It looks like you're counting on the USB port's shield to be connected to ground? That isn't actually the case, it's supposed to be connected to the chassis-ground and probably is not internally connected to the ground pin of the USB port (it's not supposed to be but I wouldn't promise that all ports you can buy actually don't have it connected somehow).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ante posted:

You need to break out IO0 and RST (sometimes called ESP_EN) as well, otherwise you're not going to be able to program it.

Also that footprint of LDO is inconsistent with the metal tab. Leave it unconnected, like you have. Some parts use it as ground, some as output voltage, so it'll gently caress you up.
I've got IO0 connected to the boot mode jumper, wouldn't power cycling it then do the trick? I'd need to check that. I really only need to program it once and then use OTA (until I gently caress up the code), so it's not a huge issue if it's a pain in the rear end.

Huh, didn't know this was an issue with LDOs, the one I have has it as output, like pin 2. The problem is getting to the middle pin without using another layer, I guess I could try routing it under the package or maybe flipping the LDO.

Forseti posted:

It looks like you're counting on the USB port's shield to be connected to ground? That isn't actually the case, it's supposed to be connected to the chassis-ground and probably is not internally connected to the ground pin of the USB port (it's not supposed to be but I wouldn't promise that all ports you can buy actually don't have it connected somehow).
drat you're right. I just assumed it'd be connected to the ground pin and never bothered to check. I was hoping to clean up the routing a bit but this should't be too bad.

Thanks in any case, I'm pretty sure this saved me at least one board revision :)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Forseti posted:

We used to use pieces of the really dense resin sheets that we made microscope bases from where I worked before. Drilled and tapped and then standoffs installed with the boards attached to the standoffs and rubber feet on the bottom of the resin. It worked really well, the weight was great for keeping it from sliding around the desk when plugging in cables or manipulating the buttons. Not sure what it was made from but I suspect some sort of phenolic resin? If someone has a good idea what it is, I'd love to know so I can get some myself honestly. You can see it in this picture.

There's probably a product you can buy but I've seen a couple of articles on hackaday of people making their own epoxy resin granite bases:
https://hackaday.com/2017/03/27/casting-machine-bases-in-composite-epoxy/
https://www.adambender.info/post/2017/03/25/epoxy-granite-machine-frame-how-to

https://hackaday.com/2016/05/01/precision-cnc-with-epoxy-granite/

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Edit: ^^^ Wow, that is an in depth blog post! Good stuff, thanks!

I learned that because I made the same assumption before too, glad to help! It's easy to mistake because the grounds should all be tied together at some point so it should show continuity if you test one on a device.

Forseti fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 4, 2020

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

inkmoth posted:

Hey guys, got an especially stupid question for you all. I recently picked up an ESP32-WROVER-KIT development board... And promptly realized it's double sided when it arrived. Anybody here have any recommendations on how to physically mount it while I'm working on it to avoid physically stressing the various components? Am I actually supposed to get some L brackets and try to hold it at a 90 degree angle to my desk if I want access to the pins on each side? Those screw holes seem a little flimsy and small for that, but I'm no mechanical engineer.

for supporting + fixturing basically any part with challenging geometry, i l love polycaprolactone (PCL), a low-melt-temp thermoplastic that's nylon-rigid at room temp but softens puttylike when submerged in boiling water. costs about $20 a pound, which is plenty for this sort of thing, but you can basically reuse it indefinitely so it goes far. i've mostly used it to support delicate metalworked goods for engraving or chasing but it transfers over to this sort of thing as well.

Just heat up a big lump of it, let it cool a bit so it won't adhere to the PCB or extrude much into any sockets/holes, and then press the board into it until there's plastic supporting the low areas of the board. you'll get a custom jig that you can pop the board in and out of as needed. once you're done with it for good or need the plastic for something else, drop the jig back into boiling water and you can rework it 10 minutes later.
PCL is also great for making simple mechanical components on the fly as needed, stuff like standoffs, couplers, bases, entire enclosures, knobs, as well as for potting components/insulating assemblies, you can even mould some around an LED to give it a diffuser. i'm currently expecting to make myself a AA battery holder using some, i'll bend the terminal contacts up from heavy bare copper wire and directly embed it within the mass of plastic during forming before it cools.

i can't recommend buying some enough, nobody starts out -needing- the stuff but once it's in your possession you start realizing it's a viable solution to like half of all possible mechanical challenges you're likely to encounter working with electronics

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 4, 2020

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
e: quote, it ain't edit, who knew

ive been posting about PCL this past week in the 3d printing thread b/c had a breakthrough and dramatically improved its ease of use by blending the plastic with graphite to make it directly microwaveable. here's a few of the relevant highlights:

Ambrose Burnside posted:

this belongs in this thread, and yet it does not:

just blended powdered graphite into polycaprolactone, ratio of 50:1 p:g, which lets me directly heat n soften it in the microwave, bypassing the usual crude + slowl boiling water bath- and also making it 10x more convenient to work with, plus the elimination of the 100C-pegged water moderator lets you heat it more to improve the viscosity enough to make slumpy almost-casting (and improved fine impression-taking) viable, if you wanna get wild with it

so long suckers, leapfrogging the printer step entirely

Ambrose Burnside posted:

yeah i'm surprised it isn't a more widely-known trick, this is the only place i've seen it used https://www.instructables.com/id/Engineering-Putty-Microwavable-InstamorphShapelock/
not only is it much quicker and tidier to work with, you're much less likely to get burned dealing with the water, and the heating is very uniform if you start from granules or thin-profile rods/sheets. i've had the Augmented Stuff for an evening and i can already 'dial in' the desired viscosity from room temp by varying the nuke cycle length, zap it for another 30 seconds every 5 minutes and it stays workable, it's fantastically low-effort

this one's specifically replying to talk about making tooling/dies with PCL:

Ambrose Burnside posted:

PCL is fun because it's a completely new design paradigm, it ~~~frees your mind man~~~. with heat-critical tooling, for example- don't have to fear a little heat, just manage it. embed a tubing loop in the die body underneath the inside face of the die before taking the impression, and use a lil pump to circulate coolant through it in use. run parts all day without needing to let the dies rest in the freezer every few parts. or keep it simpler with heatsinks- instead of a coolant loop, embed an aluminium plate or spare heatsink, give your die every passive cooling advantage you can. if you specifically want to do 'hot' casting in PCL dies, even for very modest definitions of 'hot', i'd plan around the best possible cooling from the get-go, it's not like it's difficult or tedious to implement when it's basically like playing with glorified modelling clay. PCL has poor thermal conductivity so to avoid heat-related tool damage id embed any such heat management tool close to the die inner surface, especially infiltrating any die components with a lot of surface area, fine surface detail you need to preserve, or any areas which protrude significantly into the die void and which will be surrounded by molten wax on several sides. pulling the cast parts ASAP after casting is also important, but i wouldn't rely on that to avoid tool damage unless you're making a single duplication or w/e

the other thing to mind w PCL impression-taking is that i'm not actually sure how low the viscosity gets before the heat starts decomposing the plastic, so you might not be able to capture super-fine detail with the tooling depending on the application; it's usually worked around ~100C or colder, where it's still quite stiff and will not appreciably flow to conform to a part under just gravity. surface finish is bad, tooling is approximate and blobby outside the impression- works like clay, ends up looking like hand-worked clay- unless you refine it with conventional manufacturing or do your PCL forming using purpose-made 'tooling boards', and you need to press the plastic into the object, so impressioning is restricted to rigid parts with boiled-water-heated PCL. i wanna experiment with heating the graphite stuff closer to its claimed ~200C decomposition threshold to see how fluid i can get it for gravity casting purposes, making cheap and quick production tooling from patterns with the best fidelity possible is something i'm always chasing, but i don't actually know how far you can push the stuff yet wrt viscosity
(i dont have a ton of experience w PCL tooling specifically, so that's just speculation w how i'd tackle your problem so do your own homework, but fwiw mixed rapid prototyping n short-run tooling design has been my jam at work for a few years now)

but yeah, PCL plastic is cheap as poo poo for the couple of pounds that will constitute "more than enough" for most applications, esp considering it's for an engineering plastic that can be reused almost indefinitely with essentially no loss or degradation per cycle, i highly recommend people pick some up even if they don't have an application in mind, the way this stuff works is once you've played with it and have some in your toolbox, the clever applications start coming to you on an ongoing basis, occupying the space where "i',m fresh outta ideas" previously sat

tl;dr: buy some PCL plastic, also known as Shapelock/Instamorph/Polymorph/Protoplastic etc etc. you won't regret it

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 4, 2020

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

inkmoth posted:

I would just sandwich it in male-female standoffs and flip it when I wanted to probe on the back, but I'm lazy.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

So I think I'm pretty close to the first prototype board. Since the schematic I got rid of one cap and changed some pin assignments mostly.
Turns out all the pin names I set up didn't translate into net names so that was a pain in the rear end.

There are some constraints on the physical layout and pin mappings which could some of the questionable choices, and I'm aware of a couple problems, but it'd be great if anyone spots anything else particularly dumb.

I can't get it to recognize pin 4 on the voltage regulator as the output like pin 2 :argh:
C4 and C5 are supposed to be as close as possible to the input and that might not be close enough, so I'll try to shuffle things around a bit.
The USB connector footprint violates the default clearance rules but I don't think there's anything I could do about that.
Also the back side isn't happening since I can (hopefully) only make single-sided boards for now.

You are etching it yourself and that's why you can't put copper on the back?

To make kicad know that two pins are the same net, give them the same pin number:

Run your unused IO pins out to pads where there's room so you can jumper to them if you need to rework it

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

inkmoth posted:

I would just hot glue it to whatever, but I am extremely lazy

Ambrose Burnside posted:

e: quote, it ain't edit, who knew

ive been posting about PCL this past week in the 3d printing thread b/c had a breakthrough and dramatically improved its ease of use by blending the plastic with graphite to make it directly microwaveable. here's a few of the relevant highlights:

this one's specifically replying to talk about making tooling/dies with PCL:

tl;dr: buy some PCL plastic, also known as Shapelock/Instamorph/Polymorph/Protoplastic etc etc. you won't regret it

Holy poo poo

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

ante posted:

I would just hot glue it to whatever, but I am extremely lazy

Holy poo poo

here’s some decent resources for the stuff-

a good primer on how to work with it, some electronics-specific applications, and experimenting with material compatibility \ bondability https://www.robotroom.com/Prototype-Plastic.html

this rounds up some more well-finished + pro-lookin mechanical projects, like a toggle-locking adjustable ball-joint camera mount for bike handlebars, or a servo-driven cam actuator + custom mount for a kite-launched camera https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Material-Guide%253a-Polymorph-Plastic--a-thermal-/

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Foxfire_ posted:

You are etching it yourself and that's why you can't put copper on the back?

To make kicad know that two pins are the same net, give them the same pin number:

Run your unused IO pins out to pads where there's room so you can jumper to them if you need to rework it
Yeah. I mean I could do it if I had a double sided board but I didn't buy one, and don't want to glue two single sided pieces together if I can avoid it.

Looks like the problem with the LDO was that pin 4 wasn't specified at all in the schematic so it didn't match with the footprint.

Good idea with the extra pins, I already know I'd definitely want to hook up more stuff in the future so I might as well make them available now.

Looks pretty good but goddamn that's a lot of tiny holes to drill. I guess I now have to make a drill press out of my dremel?? I went with smd components to minimize that but there's no escaping the headers and connectors. Gonna do another test on the breadboard and then try to make the board it this weekend.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

here’s some decent resources for the stuff-

a good primer on how to work with it, some electronics-specific applications, and experimenting with material compatibility \ bondability https://www.robotroom.com/Prototype-Plastic.html

this rounds up some more well-finished + pro-lookin mechanical projects, like a toggle-locking adjustable ball-joint camera mount for bike handlebars, or a servo-driven cam actuator + custom mount for a kite-launched camera https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Material-Guide%253a-Polymorph-Plastic--a-thermal-/
That's really cool. I saw your post in the 3d printer thread but at first thought hand sculpting is the only way to use it, which wouldn't get me very far. The casting possibilities are pretty interesting though!

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

You should be able to find 0.1" headers and USB connectors in SMT. They'll be a little bigger on the top layer and physically weaker.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You can get SMT connectors and headers if you want. For example Samtec makes a few types of SMT headers. They are nice with the samples, too.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
May as well get used to drilling

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
If you're etching just stick to single sided if you can, double sided is considerably more of a pain to do because you have to ensure that the layers are actually aligned to each other.

As for drilling I think it's much easier to freehand it then to use a press. Just get a feel for not applying sideways pressure. Big Clive is usually right about things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrdheP3Dwyc&t=1220s

But yeah, go surface mount when you can, the bigger ones are pretty easy to solder anyway and definitely easier than drilling a bunch of holes.

Also I like Sodium Persulfate as an etchant. Ferric chloride works well but it stains everything horribly and you can't see the board very well while it's being etched. Downside of Sodium Persulfate though is that you want to keep it warm enough that it's not horribly slow but not so warm that it's causing bubbles to form. It's not too bad though (I just use stacked plastic takeout containers with the lower one containing hot water).

I also really like the idea of Big Clive's plastic tubing technique for etching but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet myself. It looks like a huge improvement over an open tray though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w72YCqXt-qA&t=495s

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I would never use chemicals anymore.

CNCing isn't bad when you have the process dialed in, but chemicals are dirty in both the physical and the environmental sense, and time consuming and error prone, and a huge pain in the rear end.

Instead of setting up your poo poo, etching, and cleaning up for six hours, it's more worth my time to spend the $14 to get a board professionally made and work on other projects for the three weeks before it arrives.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I think etching is fun in a weird kinda-frustrating hobby sort of way, the same way some people like to beat a videogame real fast or build tiny ultra-detailed miniature buildings for their model trains to drive around next to. But yeah there's absolutely no reason to do it these days unless you really, really want to.

At least I've gotten enough practice that I can usually be pretty clean with it (or at least confine any spills to a plastic tub I have) and I carefully neutralize and save all the spent etchant so I don't dump copper salts down the drain and kill all the fish.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Yeah I wouldn't do it as a business process but I enjoy it for hobby purposes. I'd also rather deal with disposing chemicals properly (as noted, copper ions are the big nasty here) than keeping fiberglass dust from milling under control personally.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
This definitely feels like it will be too much of a pain in the rear end for production, but I wanted to test something ASAP. If it actually works I could then order the real thing, but my last package from China took like 2.5 months so I'm still not particularly optimistic about that right now.

taqueso posted:

You can get SMT connectors and headers if you want. For example Samtec makes a few types of SMT headers. They are nice with the samples, too.

Foxfire_ posted:

You should be able to find 0.1" headers and USB connectors in SMT. They'll be a little bigger on the top layer and physically weaker.
Whoa I'm pretty sure I've seen SMT headers in the wild before but just didn't think about it until now. I'll definitely remember now if I ever need to diy another board

ante posted:

I would never use chemicals anymore.

CNCing isn't bad when you have the process dialed in, but chemicals are dirty in both the physical and the environmental sense, and time consuming and error prone, and a huge pain in the rear end.

Instead of setting up your poo poo, etching, and cleaning up for six hours, it's more worth my time to spend the $14 to get a board professionally made and work on other projects for the three weeks before it arrives.
What's that, an excuse to get another toy? :getin:

I'm certainly not against the idea but that's a whole other can of worms I'd rather not touch now.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
This definitely feels like it will be too much of a pain in the rear end for production, but I wanted to test something ASAP. If it actually works I could then order the real thing, but my last package from China took like 2.5 months so I'm still not particularly optimistic about that right now.

DHL is an option, I got my last order from JLC PCB in about 3 business days from when they shipped it about 2 weeks ago, same with LCSC. It cost ~$15 in shipping both times but definitely beats waiting for months in a lot of cases.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
PCBWay has been really consistent with 2-3 weeks ~$15 including shipping for me, which is mindblowing

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I had PCBway build and assemble some prototypes recently for work. They did a great job but they were about a week late with all the shipping mayhem (I'm in Australia).

I had a 128 ball BGA on one board and the other was flex rigid. Both boards came out fine, I'm impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Same experience with Forseti with JLC, to SE USA. About 1 week order to ship, including SMT assembly. 3-4 days transit time.