Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
My God, Calvaire is so so bleak. Like I've rewatched Martyrs, Inside, Last House etc multiple times and been fine. Calvaire is just so oppressive compared to almost anything for me. Great movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Finally got to see You're Next. I loved like 99% of it. The ending totally pissed me off though. she fought drat hard that it's so lovely that she just gets shot and the murders, not to mention the cops death, are probably going to get pinned on her. But everything before the final 4 minutes are just great.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Just watched How To Be A Serial Killer.

It's not the worst thing I've ever seen, but don't watch it.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Sweeney Tom posted:

In addition to ABCs of Death 2 coming out later this year, ABCs of Death 1.5 has just been announced, which comes out sometime this quarter. The premise behind it is, for ABCs of Death 2, they received 541 fan-submitted entries for the letter M. The producers liked a great deal of the submissions, and saw a chance to both expand the series and give great opportunities to some of the fans who worked hard or did really good, yet wouldn't be showcased normally. ABCs of Death 1.5 is composed of nothing but entries for the letter M.

The 26 films selected by producers Timpson and League for ABCs of Death 1.5 are Maria Ivanova’s “M is for Mactation”, Tim Rutherford and Cody Kennedy’s “M is for Magnetic Tape”, Christopher Younes’ “M is for Maieusiophobia”, Dante Vescio and Rodrigo Gasparini’s “M is for Mailbox”, Summer Johnson’s “M is for Make Believe”, Peter Czikrai’s “M is for Malnutrition”, Michael Schwartz’s “M is for Manure”, Steve Daniels’ “M is for Marauder”, Zac Blair’s “M is for Marble”, Eric Pennycoff’s “M is for Mariachi”, Todd Freeman’s “M is for Marriage”, Jeff Stewart’s “M is for Martyr”, Gigi Saul Guerrero’s “M is for Matador”, Wolfgang Matzl’s “M is for Meat”, Ama Lea’s “M is for Mermaid”, Joe and Lloyd Staszkiewicz’s “M is for Merry Christmas”, Carlos Faria’s “M is for Mess”, Nicholas Humphries’ “M is for Messiah”, Brett Glassberg’s “M is for Mind Meld”, Álvaro Núñez’s “M is for Miracle”, Barış Erdoğan’s “M is for Mobile”, Carles Torrens’ “M is for Mom”, Travis Betz’s “M is for Moonstruck”, Peter Podgursky’s “M is for Mormon Missionaries”, Mia’Kate Russell’s “M is for Muff”, and Jason Koch and Clint Kelly’s “M is for Munging.”

As much as I didn't like the first and don't have confidence for the second, or even this spinoff, I must say I appreciate giving fans an anthology film made entirely by people just like them.

Cool to see a post about this here. 'Messiah' has a bunch of people I know in it, and the director's a good friend of mine. He also directed the Little Mermaid short on Fearnet, which I think I posted about earlier in the thread.

Originally it was a popular vote contest to get into the top 6 because they were going to choose one to be in ABCD2. I'm not sure if they're still doing that or not, but Messiah made it into the top 10 for the fan vote.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Skywalker OG posted:

Just watched How To Be A Serial Killer.

It's not the worst thing I've ever seen, but don't watch it.

Care to elaborate?

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Coffee And Pie posted:

Care to elaborate?

Sure. I'm not great at articulating my opinions, but I just didn't think it was very good.

It's about this charismatic guy who gets this downtrodden, simple guy to be his student in the way of killing. It has two framing devices, 1. Old Guy explaining what a serial killer is, and 2. Killer's lessons in the form of a magic show.

They establish the scene but the killer rarely heeds his own advice. It feels like a ripoff of Bronson after awhile and having two is totally unnecessary, like they just didn't want to deal with making story transitions.

For some reason after scenes with the killer the protege or the girlfriend will be interviewed about the scene they were just in. Not sure why that was necessary, it is never established that this is a documentary, nor is it filmed as one.

The music is this really generic doop be bee boop booop ba doobedee boop doop but is mixed too loud and is too divorced from the scenes to not be anything but distracting.

The movie tries to establish the killer's motives but kind of fails to make it stick. It would have been better if it was nastier and aside from all of the questionable narrative choices I think totally it exists in the Behind the Mask quirky nega-zone where it tries to remain fun and jaunty and that carries over to and destroys the more serious parts.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 11, 2014

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Glamorama26 posted:

My God, Calvaire is so so bleak. Like I've rewatched Martyrs, Inside, Last House etc multiple times and been fine. Calvaire is just so oppressive compared to almost anything for me. Great movie.

Hmm, I also think Inside and Martyrs especially are great movies, but never heard of Calvaire. I'll give it a go sometime soon.

Also, a bit of callback to an earlier post from Xandoom about August Underground. I remembered an interview Fred Vogel did where he responds to his inspiration for the movie:

edit: source http://www.atrocitiescinema.com/interviews/fredvogel.html

quote:

Atrocities Cinema: What was the original inspiration for the August Underground series?

Fred Vogel: I wanted to make a big-budget zombie film, and I knew if I made a good enough first film, I could get money to make my zombie film. I was tired of all the serial killer movies that didn't show you what's really going on. The serial killer genre was a perfect way to go. We had no money, but we had the gore. I was teaching at the time, and was at the top of my game with FX, and knew I could make something that people would notice. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer's "home invasion" scene always freaked me out. So, just imagining a feature of that went through my mind, but, five times more real. Really show the viewer what these people are like, not like how Hollywood shows us...cool, clean, pretty. August Underground had to be immature, dirty, ugly, and of course real.

He also answers why he was arrested in Canada:

quote:

Atrocities Cinema: Tell me a bit about your recent arrest in Canada.

Fred Vogel: We were on the way up to the Rue Morgue Festival of Fear in Toronto, when we were stopped by customs for bringing merchandise into Canada. We thought that all we needed to do was get a permit to sell the merchandise in Canada. The next thing I know, they start taking all of our stuff out of the van. It was very surreal watching all our poo poo being taken away on dollies. Twenty minutes later, two of Canada's finest came out to arrest me for bringing obscene materials into Canada! I spent ten hours in a customs jail while they confiscated my movies and sent them up to Ottowa for further observation. I was let go, and charges were dropped...thank god! Toetag and I made it up to the show a little late. Better late than never!

I don't really know much about the guy otherwise. I vaguely remember skipping through some of his movies years ago, but it's not for me. Curious though, isn't a movie like Maniac a lot more interesting in following the serial killer perspective?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Acht posted:

Hmm, I also think Inside and Martyrs especially are great movies, but never heard of Calvaire. I'll give it a go sometime soon.
Calvaire is quite a bit different from the others that have been mentioned though, so keep that in mind. It's a little more like a Polanski horror film, lots of brooding atmosphere and fever dream-esque sequences, especially at the end. My tastes are a little more simple than a lot of others', and I didn't get as much out of it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Sweeney Tom posted:

In addition to ABCs of Death 2 coming out later this year, ABCs of Death 1.5 has just been announced, which comes out sometime this quarter. The premise behind it is, for ABCs of Death 2, they received 541 fan-submitted entries for the letter M. The producers liked a great deal of the submissions, and saw a chance to both expand the series and give great opportunities to some of the fans who worked hard or did really good, yet wouldn't be showcased normally. ABCs of Death 1.5 is composed of nothing but entries for the letter M.

The 26 films selected by producers Timpson and League for ABCs of Death 1.5 are Maria Ivanova’s “M is for Mactation”, Tim Rutherford and Cody Kennedy’s “M is for Magnetic Tape”, Christopher Younes’ “M is for Maieusiophobia”, Dante Vescio and Rodrigo Gasparini’s “M is for Mailbox”, Summer Johnson’s “M is for Make Believe”, Peter Czikrai’s “M is for Malnutrition”, Michael Schwartz’s “M is for Manure”, Steve Daniels’ “M is for Marauder”, Zac Blair’s “M is for Marble”, Eric Pennycoff’s “M is for Mariachi”, Todd Freeman’s “M is for Marriage”, Jeff Stewart’s “M is for Martyr”, Gigi Saul Guerrero’s “M is for Matador”, Wolfgang Matzl’s “M is for Meat”, Ama Lea’s “M is for Mermaid”, Joe and Lloyd Staszkiewicz’s “M is for Merry Christmas”, Carlos Faria’s “M is for Mess”, Nicholas Humphries’ “M is for Messiah”, Brett Glassberg’s “M is for Mind Meld”, Álvaro Núñez’s “M is for Miracle”, Barış Erdoğan’s “M is for Mobile”, Carles Torrens’ “M is for Mom”, Travis Betz’s “M is for Moonstruck”, Peter Podgursky’s “M is for Mormon Missionaries”, Mia’Kate Russell’s “M is for Muff”, and Jason Koch and Clint Kelly’s “M is for Munging.”

As much as I didn't like the first and don't have confidence for the second, or even this spinoff, I must say I appreciate giving fans an anthology film made entirely by people just like them.

All that and no M is for Myiasis? Seems like a real obvious body horror short.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

All the Boys Love Mandy Lane

Not really sure what I just saw, but it was the quickest reversal of a twist I remember. I do remember hearing about this movie years ago but never seeing it released. Turns out it was made in like 2006 and was released pretty recently. It's a slasher/survival with Amber Heard and well the twist is that the killer is the outcast friend but it turns out Heard's character was in on it. The ultimate goal was to kill all the popular kids on the farm, then off themselves. Heard changes her mind at the very last moment and decides to kill her outcast friend and save the farmhand who she originally left for dead. That's it I now understand why it was on the shelf for 7 years.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones was kinda poo poo, some really good tension but christ having grown up around lovely neighborhoods in LA the level of 90s cholo hit comical levels in this, no one talks like that. Definitely check it out if you like the rest of the series.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Sire Oblivion posted:

Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones was kinda poo poo, some really good tension but christ having grown up around lovely neighborhoods in LA the level of 90s cholo hit comical levels in this, no one talks like that. Definitely check it out if you like the rest of the series.

I definitely could have done without the introduction of time travel in this film series. I mean, c'mon. C'mon. There were some decent scenes in the movie, though. Especially the Simon machine stuff.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Gonz posted:

I definitely could have done without the introduction of time travel in this film series. I mean, c'mon. C'mon. There were some decent scenes in the movie, though. Especially the Simon machine stuff.

Its right up with turning into a giant snake. It never helps and often hinders significantly.

For me the weirdest bit of dialogue was When they introduce the bat in the car for later:

:hurr: - Hey dude, why do you have a bat in your car?

I dunno, maybe it has to do with the fact that you guys have been physically attacked twice since this movie started. You live in a scary loving neighborhood dude.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gonz posted:

You need to spoil this for me and explain how this works in the movie.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Volume posted:

You need to spoil this for me and explain how this works in the movie.

The dude finds a portal that brings him back to the end of the third movie where the coven witches chase him, then another portal that brings him to the end of the first movie where you find out he was the reason Katie was screaming downstairs.

About as silly as it sounds.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Acht posted:

Also, a bit of callback to an earlier post from Xandoom about August Underground. I remembered an interview Fred Vogel did where he responds to his inspiration for the movie:

I tried watching one of these a couple of weeks ago, but in spite of all the violence and general horrific actions, the actors couldn't really sell what was happening. In combination with some of the more extreme stuff going on, it seemed like a movie that aliens would make if they were trying to crudely mimic human activity that they'd picked up via a telescope or something, and also the aliens are all chubby crust punks.

I don't remember the subtitle for the one I saw, but I wouldn't even call it a horror movie - more like unintentional abstract art film.

EDIT: There's also the whole "The Aristocrats!" thing running through it, where it seems so desperate to shock that it's unable to.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 13, 2014

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
If you guys wanna just direct me to the discussion you've no doubt already had about the subject or maybe just give me a quick overview, what's the general opinion of the blu-ray release of The Wicker Man that Lion's Gate just put out? Is it worth picking up?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LightsGameraAction posted:

If you guys wanna just direct me to the discussion you've no doubt already had about the subject or maybe just give me a quick overview, what's the general opinion of the blu-ray release of The Wicker Man that Lion's Gate just put out? Is it worth picking up?

If you mean the Final Cut edition, the short answer is "Yes". The longer answer is "gently caress, yes".

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Jedit posted:

If you mean the Final Cut edition, the short answer is "Yes". The longer answer is "gently caress, yes".

Yeah that one. I saw it on Amazon and was going to pick it up but noticed a lot of customer reviews bitching about missing footage and longer editions. I'm not sure which version I've seen already.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

sticklefifer posted:

The dude finds a portal that brings him back to the end of the third movie where the coven witches chase him, then another portal that brings him to the end of the first movie where you find out he was the reason Katie was screaming downstairs.

About as silly as it sounds.

I don't think this is quite accurate, there's only one time warp, the one at the end where he zips to the end of the first movie. Before that, they are indeed at the same house from the end of the third movie, it's just still there in the present day.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Am I the only one who thought it ended kind of weakly? I liked the time travel door stuff, but then he's just running around the dark house, and a spooky monster shows up, cut to black, the end.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Coffee And Pie posted:

Am I the only one who thought it ended kind of weakly? I liked the time travel door stuff, but then he's just running around the dark house, and a spooky monster shows up, cut to black, the end.

Considering the standard found footage ending is 'just running around a dark house, spooky monster shows up, cut to black, the end', this is actually a significant step forward.

Also, the whole climax leading up to that was pretty lengthy and well done for a found footage flick, there was the blowing witches away with guns bit, and a surprisingly suspenseful trapped/cornered/chase scene which is tough to do in found footage, I think.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Just finished VHS 2, wow, worlds better than the first, IMHO. I hated the alien segment in the last one and so I begrudgingly watched the last segment, not expecting much. It was great, really enjoyed it but was definitely freaked out as well. I'm very pleased overall.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Toriori posted:

Just finished VHS 2, wow, worlds better than the first, IMHO. I hated the alien segment in the last one and so I begrudgingly watched the last segment, not expecting much. It was great, really enjoyed it but was definitely freaked out as well. I'm very pleased overall.

That was one of my favorite segments. Then again aliens freak the poo poo out of me. Also going to echo the "much better than the first" mentality.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

There's this great old cop show called Naked City, and in 1959 they did an episode about a shooting spree, which has a surprisingly intense opening sequence. The choice of stock music will, for horror fans, really take the scene to the next level of creepiness. It went on to be the theme music for Night of the Living Dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwnLL_hHxW4

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You've watched more Naked City than anyone here, how much of it is location shooting?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You've watched more Naked City than anyone here, how much of it is location shooting?

Essentially 100%, and any studio stuff is at the old Biograph studios in the south Bronx, so that's basically location anyway.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Jesus. That's like the Holy Grail.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Jesus. That's like the Holy Grail.

That's what I've been sayinggggggg.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

penismightier posted:

There's this great old cop show called Naked City, and in 1959 they did an episode about a shooting spree, which has a surprisingly intense opening sequence. The choice of stock music will, for horror fans, really take the scene to the next level of creepiness. It went on to be the theme music for Night of the Living Dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwnLL_hHxW4

This is loving great and I should watch Naked City, shouldn't I?

On an unrelated note, I just got my criterion blu ray of Videodrome. Hadn't seen it in years, but Jesus Christ, does that thing hold up insanely well. Cronenberg may be my favorite director ever and sometimes even I forget how good he can be. The weird thing is I don't even think Videodrome is in his top 3 films ( I'd go The Fly, The Brood and maybe Dead Ringers or Shivers as 3).

But yeah, Videodrome rules and why aren't you watching it now?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Glamorama26 posted:

Videodrome rules and why aren't you watching it now?

I want this sentence painted on my ceiling so it's the first thing i see waking up.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Do you go with that or "Long live the new flesh" ?

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Glamorama26 posted:

Do you go with that or "Long live the new flesh" ?

I've always been partial to "Would you like to try a few things?"

Videodrome is my fave Cronenberg film (The Brood, Glamorama, really?) with Dead Ringers and The Fly rounding out my Top 3. Cronenberg does horror like nobody else.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

What are the thread's thoughts on House of 1000 Corpses? I finally watched it way after enjoying Devil's Rejects and thought it to be a visually interesting overt mashup of a billion references to genre classics. I'm definitely going to rewatch Devil's Rejects but generally I can sense alot of growth into paring down to the group and the police, since 'House' takes a dramatic left turn in the last half hour that kind of tonally and thematically derails the movie, though it alludes constantly to it.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Sorry, doublepost. I am a huge idiot.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 14, 2014

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I'm in the minority in loving House of 1000 Corpses, it was just a fun movie. A lot of my love for it is based on the strength of the opening though.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Skywalker OG posted:

What are the thread's thoughts on House of 1000 Corpses? I finally watched it way after enjoying Devil's Rejects and thought it to be a visually interesting overt mashup of a billion references to genre classics. I'm definitely going to rewatch Devil's Rejects but generally I can sense alot of growth into paring down to the group and the police, since 'House' takes a dramatic left turn in the last half hour that kind of tonally and thematically derails the movie, though it alludes constantly to it.

It's not too well-regarded, but a few of us like it. I like the general aesthetic of it, and while it's somewhat disjointed and uneven, Zombie's love for the genre really shines through. It seems like he was putting everything on the table as it might have been his only shot at making a feature length movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I saw House of 1000 Corpses right around when it came out and hated it. Then I watched it again this year during Halloween season and liked it a lot more. I think it almost works better as a prequel, if you were to watch Devil's Rejects first. After seeing Devil's Rejects you wonder just what the hell the Fireflys have been up to these past 20 or so years, and House of 1000 Corpses shows that part of the story.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
I can't understand how you can love horror movies and not like HOTC. It's so much fun. Do you hate fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

schwenz posted:

I can't understand how you can love horror movies and not like HOTC. It's so much fun. Do you hate fun?

Actually at the time I saw it I kind of did hate fun. At least in horror movies. I was pretty young and I hadn't acquired a taste yet for horror-comedy or really even regular black comedy. Now I eat that poo poo up.