Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nights black agents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Have you looked at Monster of the Week? I just started a campaign with it, it's pretty easy to pick up and run with and it's designed to create a story that is Players Investigate Monster->Players Confront Monster, rinse repeat. It's probably what I would use running an SCP based game.

Oh, interesting! I've briefly played Blades in the Dark, which seems to be made by the same people. Is it possible to adapt MotW so that the PCs don't have magic/'Weird' abilities? Since I'm more thinking "regular guys (with guns if the situation calls for it) investigating disturbances and monsters etc". Could be a decent system otherwise though, since Evil Hat seem to do a good job of making fairly "light" systems that don't have much overhead for players, compared to other systems.

sebmojo posted:

Nights black agents.

Just looked it up - that's a cool idea! Is it all about vampire conspiracies though, or is that merely what its default campaign/setting is? (For lack of better words) I looked it up, but couldn't really find much information about how "flexible" it is, in that regard. Since that could work too, if adapted a little. Could always have some vampire-like mutants here and there as well, it's true (although probably not as some big global conspiracy typed deal, anyway)

Also, after looking around a little more, there seems to be a Kickstarter for republishing a few volumes of SCP art and info - so it seems like that might fit my bestiary request. Maybe, anyway? Does anyone know anything about the older editions of these books and whether they're any good, by any chance? (Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask - I know it's splitting off from being purely about an RPG, however I wouldn't mind some additional resources to draw inspiration from)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, just wondering - are there any lists of recommended systems for running a 'paranormal investigation/response team' type game, out of curiosity? Not like, cthulhu or aliens or whatever, more like... I dunno, something similar to an "SCP Foundation" team pursuing cryptids, containing weird and dangerous anomalies and the like. (There are better examples of what I'm going for, but that's the main one I can think of) Better yet if it's good at low numbers - since I'll potentially be playing with maybe three others.
From what I've seen, 'Delta Green' might be workable? There's also an SCP RPG, but, like with what little I've seen of SCP content, it may be of varying quality - no idea if it's actually any good, or if it's sub-par.

I'm pretty new to GMing, but I've been thinking about running something like this for a little while. However, I'm still unsure about what system to actually use. I'm hoping for something reasonably flexible in the sense that it more easily allows for creating/importing custom enemies and that sort of thing. I'd also greatly appreciate it if anyone could point me towards materials (either made for the chosen RPG system, or something entirely different that can be adapted or used as inspiration) for mini-campaigns for it? Other stuff like 'bestiaries' on stuff like this would be great too, since although I'm interested in running a campaign focused on this stuff, I'm personally not very knowledgeable on it :v:

Since I'm hoping I can (without being boring and railroading everyone) make a string of missions and mishaps that, depending on outcomes, may have interconnected elements that come back to bite everyone later on, to create more dramas. (If you've played 'Control', I'm thinking kinda like that, or SCP. Where there are big secured containment areas of the base/bunker, where all the recovered weird anomalies/creatures are kept, off to one side. So if there's an issue on the base, it might end up causing a chain reaction with multiple anomalies getting loose)

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask (seems like this is probably the best spot? There doesn't seem to be a general TTRPG thread, plus I'll be GMing and I am seeking advice, after all! :D ) and also apologies for being a little vague with my questions. I'm in the early stages at the moment - just trying to see what might work and go from there. Thanks!

For real world games you can't beat World of Darkness. The game you describe is Mage 20th anniversary edition, and your playing as the Technocracy. There are a bunch of other WoD games that fit your theme (but from the monsters perspective), but Mage is best I think for an SCP game

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/149562/Mage-The-Ascension-20th-Anniversary-Edition

There are supplements that flesh out the Technocratic Union, but you don't exactly need it. The Mage core book is like 700 pages and has a huge amount of lore on the faction. They are the enemies of mages and other "reality deviants". They do men in black stuff, the do space stuff, and they do SCP type stuff. Layers on layers of secret hierarchies :tinfoil:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/354689/M20-Technocracy-Reloaded

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 29, 2022

Sally Forth
Oct 16, 2012
On the subject of system recommendations, we're planning to play a one-shot to fill in some gaps in the history of our campaign setting and, while we could make it work in 5E, I think there's probably a more narrative-focused game out there that's better suited to what we'd like to do.

The setup is: several hundred years ago, a slave rebellion overthrew the Emperor Undying when, during a pivotal battle, one of the rebels was chosen by their god and granted the power to slay him. The event is much mythologised in the present day, but the exact details have been lost. We'd like to explore the days or hours leading up to the battle, with the PCs as members of the rebel army, without any of us knowing beforehand which PC is about to become a saint. A TPK is fine (preferable even - the god isn't kind to its chosen) and I'd love some suggestions if anyone has any?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Oh, interesting! I've briefly played Blades in the Dark, which seems to be made by the same people. Is it possible to adapt MotW so that the PCs don't have magic/'Weird' abilities? Since I'm more thinking "regular guys (with guns if the situation calls for it) investigating disturbances and monsters etc". Could be a decent system otherwise though, since Evil Hat seem to do a good job of making fairly "light" systems that don't have much overhead for players, compared to other systems.

At least one or two of the playbooks are explictly "normal" dudes, yeah. Looks like there a loads of fan made playbooks that also have lots more normies.

Delta Green is also a possibility - its a bit more complex than MotW, but not horrendously complicated iirc. It's much more like Control in that you're a shady government agency, but also your dudes are likely to get horribly killed and eaten.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly
Anomaly uses Tarot cards without a GM. Could be what you are looking for.

https://sniperserpent.itch.io/anomaly

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Looking to do a little brainstorming for next session:

The group (three level two PCs) has decided to explore a big manor in a part of town where a forest grew up suddenly. No one really knows what happened, but everyone in town agrees that whatever happened, happened in the manor they're exploring.

I'm thinking there's some kind of extraplanar nonsense happened to make the forest spring up overnight, but I'm a bit at a loss for encounters in the manor itself. Wild animals seem fine, if a bit bland, but I'd love more ideas.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Capfalcon posted:

The group (three level two PCs) has decided to explore a big manor in a part of town where a forest grew up suddenly. No one really knows what happened, but everyone in town agrees that whatever happened, happened in the manor they're exploring.

I'm thinking there's some kind of extraplanar nonsense happened to make the forest spring up overnight, but I'm a bit at a loss for encounters in the manor itself. Wild animals seem fine, if a bit bland, but I'd love more ideas.

Abandoned manor house needs an insane butler who pretends nothing is wrong. Maybe a skeleton.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sally Forth posted:

On the subject of system recommendations, we're planning to play a one-shot to fill in some gaps in the history of our campaign setting and, while we could make it work in 5E, I think there's probably a more narrative-focused game out there that's better suited to what we'd like to do.

The setup is: several hundred years ago, a slave rebellion overthrew the Emperor Undying when, during a pivotal battle, one of the rebels was chosen by their god and granted the power to slay him. The event is much mythologised in the present day, but the exact details have been lost. We'd like to explore the days or hours leading up to the battle, with the PCs as members of the rebel army, without any of us knowing beforehand which PC is about to become a saint. A TPK is fine (preferable even - the god isn't kind to its chosen) and I'd love some suggestions if anyone has any?

This might fit into Exalted if you wanted to try that

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Capfalcon posted:

The wild animals are what they see as they wander through at first, and it all seems relatively kosher. But at some point, they find <special thing> and it allows them to see the true nature of the forest and the horrors that lurk, and the reality of the animals. And by doing so, those “animals” become more attuned to the interlopers, and respond accordingly, forcing the PCs to claw their way out of the aberration. Which it turns out, perhaps, is a singular creature itself, and with their newly acquired enhanced vision, they can see that it is growing and working to take over more than where just the forest sits.

Bonus longer term stuff: the party now has the ability to identify and address these incursions and can follow rumors of similar incidents elsewhere. Congrats, now you’re doing SCP poo poo like that other poster wanted. 🤣

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Capfalcon posted:

This sounds kind of like the book Darwinia or Annihilation, go with weird mashed up animal hybrids (GOOSE HYDRA)

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, just wondering - are there any lists of recommended systems for running a 'paranormal investigation/response team' type game, out of curiosity? Not like, cthulhu or aliens or whatever, more like... I dunno, something similar to an "SCP Foundation" team pursuing cryptids, containing weird and dangerous anomalies and the like. (There are better examples of what I'm going for, but that's the main one I can think of) Better yet if it's good at low numbers - since I'll potentially be playing with maybe three others.
From what I've seen, 'Delta Green' might be workable? There's also an SCP RPG, but, like with what little I've seen of SCP content, it may be of varying quality - no idea if it's actually any good, or if it's sub-par.

I'm pretty new to GMing, but I've been thinking about running something like this for a little while. However, I'm still unsure about what system to actually use. I'm hoping for something reasonably flexible in the sense that it more easily allows for creating/importing custom enemies and that sort of thing. I'd also greatly appreciate it if anyone could point me towards materials (either made for the chosen RPG system, or something entirely different that can be adapted or used as inspiration) for mini-campaigns for it? Other stuff like 'bestiaries' on stuff like this would be great too, since although I'm interested in running a campaign focused on this stuff, I'm personally not very knowledgeable on it :v:

Since I'm hoping I can (without being boring and railroading everyone) make a string of missions and mishaps that, depending on outcomes, may have interconnected elements that come back to bite everyone later on, to create more dramas. (If you've played 'Control', I'm thinking kinda like that, or SCP. Where there are big secured containment areas of the base/bunker, where all the recovered weird anomalies/creatures are kept, off to one side. So if there's an issue on the base, it might end up causing a chain reaction with multiple anomalies getting loose)

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask (seems like this is probably the best spot? There doesn't seem to be a general TTRPG thread, plus I'll be GMing and I am seeking advice, after all! :D ) and also apologies for being a little vague with my questions. I'm in the early stages at the moment - just trying to see what might work and go from there. Thanks!

In order from “perfect except everyone will die and/or go insane” to “probably exactly what you’re looking for”: Delta Green, Night’s Black Agents, and The Esoterrorists.

If the characters were normal people and not specialized agents I’d add Monster of the Week, Unknown Armies, other stuff.

Edit: maybe look at External Containment Bureau too—the setting is on point, sharing the same two touchstones you mentioned, and it’s a lightweight Forged in the Dark hack if you like that kind of ruleset

Pretzel Rod Serling fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 29, 2022

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Capfalcon posted:

It's a bit of a steal from A Wizard, but:

The manor house looks ancient, but the lights are on. An engraving over the door reads, 'WELCOME HOME, WEARY TRAVELLER'.

Inside, the house is warm, well-lit and welcoming, but exudes a feeling of absolute wrongness. Everything has been arranged as if to greet an adventuring party, with empty racks for weaponry, silk robes and slippers, and opulent rooms laid out for each member (library books, training quarters) and signs hanging over each door that are crudely spelled with the party member's name. ('JILHARD'S ROOM', etc.)

The texture of each material feels oddly organic, even wet and rippling. There's a sumptuous feast laid out in the dining room but all of the food is rotten or wrong. There's an empty doghouse covered in a strange sticky residue, marked 'DOG'.

One room is crudely labelled 'HEROIC ENCOUNTER ROOM.' Inside is a level-appropriate combat encounter, over-dramatically framed by the use of the same strange signs - let's say a kobold labelled 'DRAGON', a gazer labelled 'BEHOLDER' and a confused skeleton labelled 'LICH'. After defeating the encounter, a soiled-looking sack marked 'TREASURE' appears on a nearby table. Something horrible is writhing inside but it's empty when the players open it.

When the players reach the upper floors, they're startled by the Steward - a small and terrified goblin illusionist in an ill-fitting suit - and Dog - in fact, an affectionate gelatinous cube that acts like an excitable hound.

The Steward is mostly terrified and incoherent, telling the players only that they are trapped here like him, that his duty is to greet the owners and provide them with their every need...and he's so sorry for what's about to happen to them. He can then be calmed into offering a proper explanation.

The house itself is a particularly powerful and intelligent mimic, feeding on adventuring parties that sleep in its beds. The forest itself is an extension of the mimic's body, connecting to the house through the trees' roots, which is why the forest has sprung up so quickly. (After all, the mimic has learnt that there's nothing like a mysterious old house in a dark forest to attract adventurers.)

You can then throw some combat encounters at the players based on what you've described on their journey through the house - an ominous statue becomes animated armour, a plant in the greenhouse becomes an awakened tree - while the house itself bucks them about, trips them up, tries to stick them to its walls, etc. As they reach the front door, the door can transform into a classic gaping mouth to represent the 'final form' of the mimic.

When the mimic is defeated, the house falls away - and the forest itself vanishes around the players.

There's a few different ways you can run it: the Steward and Dog can be recruited as potential allies (or try and fight the players), a player could foolishly decide to go to sleep and get sucked into the house to be rescued by the others, or the players could even attempt to reason with the mimic itself, gaining it as a mobile (but predatory) base of operations for future adventures. If anyone's fallen for the schmuck bait and disarmed themselves, they'll be fighting in their dressing gowns.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oh my gosh yes

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
Is there any good guides for a good way in how to position nations/countries etc. for my homebrew setting world map?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

trapstar posted:

Is there any good guides for a good way in how to position nations/countries etc. for my homebrew setting world map?

There are two approaches. You can either build a 10,000 year political history of the world , or you can just draw things on a map and kind of wing it based on the themes of your game. The 10,000 year history is largely self indulgence, but that's why we are DMs in the first place :hai:

It's really rare for the world map to make much difference in actual play.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

trapstar posted:

Pull up a map of Greyhawk, perhaps, and use a bunch of those. Change the names if you think anyone would notice. Most of those countries are just stubs with the name, type of government, and rulers, with sometimes a brief overview of what they're about. That's all you'll need 99% of the time.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.

Deteriorata posted:

Pull up a map of Greyhawk, perhaps, and use a bunch of those. Change the names if you think anyone would notice. Most of those countries are just stubs with the name, type of government, and rulers, with sometimes a brief overview of what they're about. That's all you'll need 99% of the time.

In my opinion making a map is one of the funnest parts of running homebrew. I was more or so wondering if any one had any good ideas they used for layouts.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just copy the Pathfinder map

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I would only worry about a specific layout if I had a specific intention for some geographical feature being important, like a wide ocean or extend mountain range preventing contact/easy trade, which is important to the story because :words:, or making the setting a bunch of medium to small islands like the Mediterranean, etc.

otherwise I like to just squiggle a bunch of shapes onto a map and make it up on the fly.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

trapstar posted:

In my opinion making a map is one of the funnest parts of running homebrew. I was more or so wondering if any one had any good ideas they used for layouts.

Start with the coastline, then the mountains, then the hills around the mountains then the plains and swamps.

Overlay a wider empire, then mentally convert it to ruins, and then place a smaller set of city states in other spots.

Like, the romans built on the plains because their empire was internally secure, the early medieval successors built on hill tops.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rutibex posted:

There are two approaches. You can either build a 10,000 year political history of the world , or you can just draw things on a map and kind of wing it based on the themes of your game. The 10,000 year history is largely self indulgence, but that's why we are DMs in the first place :hai:

It's really rare for the world map to make much difference in actual play.

Pick a classic dominions let's play and copy it wholesale

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
Let Dwarf Fortress create a world and history for you!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

How would you run a situation where the players want to long rest inside of an actively hostile military fortress that has no specific rooms that would go unsearched?

My thinking:

It would be nearly impossible, if entirely impossible.

First, in that 8 hours someone will come snooping around and find either the trail of bodies, signs of combat, or (if they spent the time to clean up) the distinct lack of living soldiers. Even if they tried to clean things up, which would take a long time, it's likely someone will walk by. This would trigger a search by the remaining forces in the fortress, as well as a strong lockdown.

Second, once they're found (which is inevitable) and even if they are barricaded inside of a room that is comfortable enough for them to long rest in, the banging as the enemy tries to force their way into the room would immediately ruin any attempt at long resting. And even if they somehow managed to sleep through the banging sounds, the enemy would inevitably break through the barricades and attack the PCs directly.

I wouldn't stop them from attempting it, but I also like to lay out the potential results of dangerous situations that require dice rolls beforehand so they don't end up disappointed/confused/angry about the result of failure. In this case, telling the players directly "It would be nearly impossible. Your characters know this, and here's why: ".

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I would simply explain that in the dungeon I'm rolling for wandering encounters every 10m of game time. Then I would let them do whatever they want.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Verisimilidude posted:

How would you run a situation where the players want to long rest inside of an actively hostile military fortress that has no specific rooms that would go unsearched?

You could maybe adapt the 13th Age campaign loss idea? The players can always withdraw from danger to rest up, but doing so incurs a Campaign Loss, meaning you get to come up with some kind of negative consequence at your discretion. It might even be more interesting if you spell out the consequences to the players before they make the choice, so they know the stakes.

The other thing is that if you've accidentally made the encounters too difficult but don't have a good narrative reason to end the expedition early, you can throw the players a bone by giving them some fiat healing consumables, with the understanding that they need to be consumed on the spot, and aren't a regular occurrence of the game. If it's the 4e campaign I think you're describing, then you could either restore a few surges as part of the encounter reward, or as a reward for a non-combat skill challenge you set for them. Actually, if they're still slogging through duergar fortress I'm guessing they're in, it might even be funny if the Evil, Ominous Statue in the back offered them an instant Long Rest at a Cost.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I had this exact problem in 4e when the system was new, and we made a decision to long rest "automatically" after every X fights. From then on the party could go where it wanted narratively and keep the encounter balance inside the encounters.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
It only works when a campaign is cramming fewer encounters into a single location and mid-dungeon long rests don't need to be a possibility (which I think is a positive but which I get that it then causes a lot of the headaches with players trying to take a long rest at every opportunity because the rules treat it a standard 8-hour sleep), but I've found that players tend to grasp the difference when you put it to them in terms of narrative flow, mid-action vs post-action:

Short rest = 'This is a wilderness rest, to be taken as a breathing space in the middle of the action. You're the Fellowship of the Ring in the mountains or lost in Moria; you are not in immediate danger and you can stop some time sleeping and eating to regain your strength, but you can't stick around in this place beyond that: you lack safety and you lack time. There are dangers all around you, your location is unfriendly and inhospitable, and you'd want to push on in pursuit of your goal.'

Long rest = 'This is a full period of rest, recuperation and recovery that you can take once the action has concluded. You're the Fellowship of the Ring in Rivendell. You've arrived at a place of comfort and safety, like an inn or a homebase, and you have no immediate goals to accomplish. You have downtime on your hands, you can eat a full meal and get a proper night's sleep, and you can train to regain your spells.'

That way you're encouraging players to think about the long rest as something that fits into the flow of the adventure rather than trying to request an 8-hour rest in a hostile dungeon.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

grobbo posted:

It only works when a campaign is cramming fewer encounters into a single location and mid-dungeon long rests don't need to be a possibility (which I think is a positive but which I get that it then causes a lot of the headaches with players trying to take a long rest at every opportunity because the rules treat it a standard 8-hour sleep), but I've found that players tend to grasp the difference when you put it to them in terms of narrative flow, mid-action vs post-action:

Short rest = 'This is a wilderness rest, to be taken as a breathing space in the middle of the action. You're the Fellowship of the Ring in the mountains or lost in Moria; you are not in immediate danger and you can stop some time sleeping and eating to regain your strength, but you can't stick around in this place beyond that: you lack safety and you lack time. There are dangers all around you, your location is unfriendly and inhospitable, and you'd want to push on in pursuit of your goal.'

Long rest = 'This is a full period of rest, recuperation and recovery that you can take once the action has concluded. You're the Fellowship of the Ring in Rivendell. You've arrived at a place of comfort and safety, like an inn or a homebase, and you have no immediate goals to accomplish. You have downtime on your hands, you can eat a full meal and get a proper night's sleep, and you can train to regain your spells.'

That way you're encouraging players to think about the long rest as something that fits into the flow of the adventure rather than trying to request an 8-hour rest in a hostile dungeon.

Option 3: "Haha gently caress you I cast Tiny Hut"

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I have to imagine any humanoid race capable of garrisoning a fortress, let Alone constructing one, is going to capture or TPK any party that waits inside a rope trick, hut etc for a long rest. Like, build a barricade around it, post the entire garrison around it, etc etc.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Yeah, and even in that situation, at least the resulting ambush can still be a fun, specific and memorable setpiece that proves the foolishness of relying on 10-foot magical force-field domes in unsafe places.

Something monstrous and many-limbed burrows up from below, disturbing the sleepers and sending them flying in every direction. As the PCs tumble about, the Tiny Hut dissipates - and as the arrows begin to fly, the great net falls from above...

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Verisimilidude posted:

My thinking:

First, in that 8 hours someone will come snooping around and find either the trail of bodies, signs of combat, or (if they spent the time to clean up) the distinct lack of living soldiers. Even if they tried to clean things up, which would take a long time, it's likely someone will walk by. This would trigger a search by the remaining forces in the fortress, as well as a strong lockdown.

Second, once they're found (which is inevitable) and even if they are barricaded inside of a room that is comfortable enough for them to long rest in, the banging as the enemy tries to force their way into the room would immediately ruin any attempt at long resting. And even if they somehow managed to sleep through the banging sounds, the enemy would inevitably break through the barricades and attack the PCs directly.

I wouldn't stop them from attempting it, but I also like to lay out the potential results of dangerous situations that require dice rolls beforehand so they don't end up disappointed/confused/angry about the result of failure. In this case, telling the players directly "It would be nearly impossible. Your characters know this, and here's why: ".

your instincts are correct, tell the players why this is extremely dangerous. if they do it anyway just pull every statblock from the dungeon into that room when they wake up if they are using some sort of spell like tiny but to try to be safe. but importantly - the result of losing is the party is stripped of their gear, put in rags, chained up in the dungeon, and kept alive while they wait for (plot villain) to sort this out

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

trapstar posted:

Do you already have your peoples made? If you have nations/civilizations that have inspiration from real world analogs then you can start siting their real world geography onto a blank map with how you want your nations to be spaced and see if it makes sense. If not, start tweaking until you have a map that looks plausible.

If you don't have your nations yet then all the other replies.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm having the weirdest, dumbest reaction to a TTRPG thing.

My larger group of IRL gaming friends are starting a PF game, and I'm not even in it, but I'm aware of it, and I'm just so judgemental about this grappling monk one of them is playing.

The character can grapple anything, and I'd find him so frustrating as a GM, it'll literally lock down almost anything and it seems like it will trivialize lots of fights in weird ways. My understanding of the numbers is that he's going to be pinning almost anything the party ever has any business fighting? But the mechanics aren't really my point, it's my reaction.

It has nothing to do with me, doesn't matter at all, they're all having fun, and yet I catch myself on google trying to double check his build. It's very, very silly of me. I especially want to point it out here because my dumb reaction would matter a lot more if I happened to be the GM, which I sometimes am in the lager player base.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Jack B Nimble posted:

My larger group of IRL gaming friends are starting a PF game, and I'm not even in it, but I'm aware of it, and I'm just so judgemental about this grappling monk one of them is playing.

The character can grapple anything, and I'd find him so frustrating as a GM, it'll literally lock down almost anything and it seems like it will trivialize lots of fights in weird ways. My understanding of the numbers is that he's going to be pinning almost anything the party ever has any business fighting? But the mechanics aren't really my point, it's my reaction.

It has nothing to do with me, doesn't matter at all, they're all having fun, and yet I catch myself on google trying to double check his build. It's very, very silly of me. I especially want to point it out here because my dumb reaction would matter a lot more if I happened to be the GM, which I sometimes am in the lager player base.

As far as I can tell the entire point of Pathfinder character builds is to trivialize a lot of fights in weird ways, so assuming the GM is prepared for a game of Pathfinder it should be fine.

That said I've definitely been in the position of seeing a ruling/play in a game I'm not playing (usually more tabletop strategy/board games than TTRPGs) that seems like some bullshit and obsessively researching to figure out why it's wrong or okay. I think that's just a brain thing that's probably captured in some TikTok definitions of ADHD but I'm not personally interested in a diagnosis.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jack B Nimble posted:

This character is gonna have a lot of fun in "The Dungeon of Oozes and Horrifying Disease" :twisted:

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

because this is pathfinder it doesnt actually matter, the game at higher levels devolves to both teams hucking complete horseshit like DC 28 dazing fireballs at each other to render the other party incapable of playing the game, this is just par for the course. actually grapple builds are on the low end of bullshit as far as pathfinder bullshit goes especially because high level monsters are throwing out aoe CC and immune to everything

if this bothers you, i advise not playing pathfinder. or at the very least just playing EL6 or something

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I read the Pathfinder video game thread for help with the beginning of Kingmaker and the high level and sequel talk sounds just horrifying.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

So I'm running a campaign that had 5 players, but one couldn't continue and we decided not to look for a replacement at the moment. He was, unfortunately, the group's healer and their party now consist of a level 2 Warlock, Wizard, Rogue and Barbarian.

We've been thinking of introducing an NPC hireling. In your experience what's the best way to handle it without becoming a DM PC? Do you just let a player use a second sheet and roleplay them to the degree they want, whether that's 2nd PC or minor NPC background character that assists in fights and exploration?

Tosk fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Verisimilidude posted:

My thinking:

Is the fortress clearable within the confines of one adventuring day?

When I was running the Baldur's Gate chapter of Descent into Avernus, I realised that the way I like to run things was going to mean that all of the events of the chapter were likely to take place over 1 action-packed 48 hour period with no time for the PCs even to sleep, so I needed to come up with an alternative. What I settled on was what I called "cinematic resting", short rests 10 minutes (standard for my table anyway), players got the benefit of a long rest instantly upon hitting a milestone that resulted in a level-up (at the end of each of the chapter's dungeons), and the party could take one hour-long long rest during the course of the arc, with any additional long rests being the full 8-hours. That ultimately created the exact dynamic I wanted, players were happy to push deep into the enemy's compounds and lairs, knowing that they just needed to hide for an hour if some fight went truly terribly, but at the same time strongly incentivised them to push on to the end of the dungeon and get their instant rest so they wouldn't use up their freebie. That made every discussion on whether now things were bad enough to use the rest a real choice, and so every time the players chose to press on without long resting, it was an affirmative decision rather than them feeling like they had no choice.

Tosk posted:

So I'm running a campaign that had 5 players, but one couldn't continue and we decided not to look for a replacement at the moment. He was, unfortunately, the group's healer and their party now consist of a level 2 Warlock, Wizard, Rogue and Barbarian.

We've been thinking of introducing an NPC hireling. In your experience what's the best way to handle it without becoming a DM NPC? Do you just let a player use a second sheet and roleplay them to the degree they want, whether that's 2nd PC or minor NPC background character that assists in fights and exploration?

If the party wants a hireling I'd recommend letting someone control them in combat and roleplaying them yourself. The most common pitfalls of making a DMPC are making yourself the star of the show, and the players leaning on the character's privileged position of being in the mind of the person with all the answers. The fact that you're asking probably means you don't need to worry about the first part, just keep in mind always that it's the players' story, this is an NPC who travels with them, treat them the same as any other NPC. As to the second part, a reasonable starting point is just to make the NPC have really terrible opinions on what to do that are obvious bad ideas. If you're hiring a cleric, get a Cleric of Tempus and RP him like a Klingon, full on "It Is a Good Day To Die" as his solution to every problem and now the players can't meta you, consciously or otherwise, on whether bashing skulls is what you "want" them to do. Or the reverse, make them cowardly, or obsequious, whatever codes them as "don't take this NPCs' advice" will avoid that. In future you can do NPCs travelling with the party who have reasonable ideas, but you likely want to start by erecting a strong barrier between "NPC thinks..." and "DM thinks..." in players' minds first.

But, as an alternative, if the only reason the party is getting a hireling is a lack of healing, you can bridge that gap somewhat with magic items. Like, a bracelet that lets you spend a hit die as a bonus action, a ring of spell storing that comes with the Heal spell pre-overcharged in it somehow. A periapt of wound closure that instantly stabilises folk who go down. Lots and lots of healing potions. Has anyone in your group ever thought "what if I just put two healing potions in one vial?" There's a potion mixing table in the DMG that you don't need to use necessarily, but regardless you could say that combining two regular healing potions gives you a potion that heals double but only takes one action (or bonus action if you're using that common houserule) to drink.