Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I wonder if a Falcon is wider than a Mustang. Unfortunately then you would have the cost of shipping the Falcon IRS to the U.S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You Am I posted:

I wonder if a Falcon is wider than a Mustang. Unfortunately then you would have the cost of shipping the Falcon IRS to the U.S.

Didn't stop GM from doing the exact same thing for the Camaro.

Plus we're talking about putting it in a pickup; the issue would be a Falcon suspension being wide enough for the F-150 (which I guarantee even the ute isn't), not the 'stang.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fucknag posted:

Eh, you don't wanna go too crazy with that, whether through backspacing or just spacers; it changes the angle that the weight load travels up through the bearings, so the wheels torque upward and wear the bearing out faster.

Better to just get axle spacers and fab up longer control arms to space the hubs out to the truck's width. There's a lot more space under a truck than a Mustang, so straight control arms should work fine in lieu of the fancy bent ones the Mustang uses stock.

Or hell, even just extended spindles to move the bearings further out, not like lateral travel is much of an issue with the travel range that suspension has.

It's 1.5 inches, you're talking about custom fab and suspension geometry. I'm talking about junkyards and booger welds. I would bet there are tens of thousands of mustangs out there running spacers or low offset wheels. Besides, the auto mustang GT convertible is 3893lbs and 52/48 weight distro. That's 1868lbs on the rear tires. The rcsb 5.0 has 1757lbs on the rear, even if the IRS adds 100lbs, it's less weight on the back than the mustang. That 100lbs would also correct the weight distribution to 57/43. removing the front bumper/supports would probably get you to stock curb weight of with 55/45 weight distribution. The same weight and distribution as a scat pack challenger.

The falcon is 2 inches narrower.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The rear suspension of the Mustang and Falcon are designed for a unibody car, the mounting points go into a load bearing body with shock towers. The suspension on a truck is mounted to the ladder frame which is the primary load bearing structure.

Or you could just get the IRS from an actual F150.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The rear frame of the expedition is narrowed in around where the suspension mounts. You would have to cut a chunk out of the frame to install it. it's also pretty mediocre as far as IRS goes.

looking at the 4 mounting points and 2 shock towers, it seems like it would be far easier to make the mustang IRS fit, the natural hip of the rear f-150 frame actually matching the lower front and higher rear mounting points, and the shock possibly bolting right into the factory shock location.Some custom front hubs and you're running mustang bolt pattern all around. big mustang brakes and big mustang wheels.....

RCSB f-150s will be 5 grand, and mustangs will be piled up everywhere in 3 years, maybe we'll find out then...

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
You know, I'm really glad I made a dumb offhand comment. And this further proves why AI is awesome.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Why not just by the actual performance version of the F-150? http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/trim/raptor/

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

drgitlin posted:

Why not just by the actual performance version of the F-150? http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/trim/raptor/

Because if you want a street/strip style truck, you have to remove most of the expensive suspension bits that are part of that package, and throw them away.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

drgitlin posted:

Its not a performance version, its an off-road performance version.
Big difference.

Speaking of F-series. Why are there differences between the XLT and the Lariat beyond leather? They should have all the same options available, with just leather being the difference.
(I want a bunch of lariat only options but don't necessarily want to pay for leather)

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 22, 2015

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
edit: nevermind

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Incredibly true. I'm basically the worst parent and get dirty looks all the time from our friends with kids because I do such horrible things like let my daughter climb on rocks and trees. :shrug:

I can't imagine how loving tedious life would be if I wasn't allowed to run around outside for hours and hours day after day until it got dark all summer long in my childhood. I mean I used to sit inside and play videogames or watch TV sometimes but being outside was so much more fun.

You are the best kind of parent.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Speaking of F-series. Why are there differences between the XLT and the Lariat beyond leather? They should have all the same options available, with just leather being the difference.
(I want a bunch of lariat only options but don't necessarily want to pay for leather)

Lariat has a lot more gizmos (MFT, pushbutton/keyless start, and a bucket of other stuff that's unavailable or something you pay out the rear end for on an XLT) and isn't available in a regcab or with the NA v6.

Honestly the handling on these is insane for a truck. I've said it before, if you threw a Torsen in the back, gave it a good set of shocks, a little more rear sway bar and a slight drop you'd have something that handles just about as well as is possible with a live axle.
Also I'm convinced that the reason you can't get a RC/6.5' box with the big EB is because either a 2g Tremor is in the works or they don't want internal competition with the Mustang.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Johan De Nyssen just did an AMA on Jalopnik and says there's a turbo V8 coming.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 24, 2015

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Of what? Knowing GM they're probably resurrecting the stupid northstar.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I've posted earlier that I'm considering a '15 Challenger R/T as my next vehicle, now that they're made the interior pretty nice.

I like it mainly for the looks and the power. The fuel economy isn't great (it's as great as my current 540i) and I don't expect it to be great in the winter. Still, I think it'd be a car I could really just loving love to drive.

But if I set my limit at $35k (the price of a Challenger R/T plus, which gets me the better touchscreen inside), what else should I consider? A manual transmission is preferred, and decent power is always good. A BMW 228 at that price is bare bones, decently-optioned Fusions or Optimas or pretty much any other midsize car typically means I can't have a manual transmission... am I missing anything obvious?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Mustang, Camaro and Accord v6 Coupe. Or, there are whispers about the next Genesis coupe being AWD and turbocharged...

sanchez fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 26, 2015

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

sanchez posted:

Mustang, Camaro and Accord v6 Coupe. Or, there are whispers about the next Genesis coupe being AWD and turbocharged...

A useable backseat is handy since I have kids, so I think the Genesis coupe, unless the backseat is bigger than I'm thinking, would be out. And a Camaro wouldn't fly with the wife, her distrust of GM is almost as deep of my own.

How much Mustang would $35k buy relative to a Challenger?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
GT Premium. If you waited a year, probably also with the performance pack.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Probably a shot in the dark, but has anyone tried driving an e-Golf? I'm trying to get into the HOV lane in CA, and my commute seems perfect for an EV car (my commute is on the awful 405 in LA and only 35 miles round-trip). The e-Golf seems like the least-dreadful option from a driver's perspective (excluding Tesla, of course). Any opinions on this car?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

CornHolio posted:

How much Mustang would $35k buy relative to a Challenger?

A lot of Mustang.

A loaded Ecoboost Premium with Performance Package and Recaros goes for 33,715, but I would probably ditch the Recaros and put that 1600 elsewhere. I would seriously entertain the EB Premium with Performance Package and the 201A option which puts it at $33,915.

But if you have to have a V8, the "base" GT starts at $33,125. A GT Premium with the 400A package might be worth looking at. But to be fair, it goes over your $35K budget by about 1500 bucks. A base GT with the Performance Package ($35,620), a base GT with Recaros ($34,720).

I'm a Mustang guy, though, so take my advice of "GET A MUSTANG" with a grain of salt.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
The mustang brings you the piece of mind that it isn't a chrysler product. Have you ever owned one before?

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
Has anyone had a chance to drive the new Mustang? There are reviews out but it's obviously all "can't badmouth Ford or else they won't fly us out to any more of these great press events"

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Neptr posted:

Has anyone had a chance to drive the new Mustang? There are reviews out but it's obviously all "can't badmouth Ford or else they won't fly us out to any more of these great press events"
I test drove an EB and a GT (both very briefly).
Power in the GT is awesome, the EB has a good amount of grunt but also a *little* lag.
Interior is awesome.
Clutch...less awesome. I'm definitely not used to the hydraulic clutch, and the little return spring is a pain.

But quite enjoyed it. I'm still planning on grabbing a GT Premium soon as the 2016s hit.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
I just had a new fusion titanium ecoboost as a rental and it was horrible. Felt like a coffin inside with the huge pillars and small windows, zero feedback from steering or brakes, automatic trans was slow as hell, engine was unresponsive, didn't ride much better than my lowered subaru, wallowed in the corners, didn't find the interior or infotainment ergonomic at all... I know it's just a boring sedan but it's the first new Ford I've driven and I guess I was expecting more given all the enthusiast praise they've been receiving and the fact that this wasn't some bullshit low-spec rental trim. Is this at all representative of the rest of their range?

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

Neptr posted:

Got an EB (Premium? had heated/cooled seats, touchscreen interface but no SatNav) as a rental last weekend.

Felt heavier than expected, the back end doesn't bounce around nearly as much as the prior generation.
The ecoboost has a surprising amount of pull at the bottom end, but doesn't have as much high revs power as you'd expect. Engine note was reserved, particularly with the windows up.
Interior was far better than expected for a muscle car, but not as whisper-quiet as Ford claims it to be. Large blind spot on the driver's side if you're tall, even compared to the last generation.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Have driven both a gt and ecoboost. There is no comparing it to previous generations. So much confidence in turns, stout brakes, really good ergonomics. Car feels much lighter than it is.

Power differences are pretty pronounced. The coyote is an out of this world good engine. The ecoboost is good, but needs a tune to be great. I like the ecoboost, and it makes for an interesting conundrum in what to buy: 90 percent of the real world performance of the v8 but can really option really nicely for the same price as the gt. I wouldn't call a base gt spartan by any means, but for what you get with a loaded out ecoboost would make me seriously consider it (the ecoboost)

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Neptr posted:

I bought a '15 base GT with the cloth recaro's and performance package on December 31 for $35,xxx ($38,xxx out the door). I came from a '98 nissan altima and this is the first performance car I've ever driven so trying to compare this car to any other performance car is all academic. I can say that the power and handling are fantastic and being a tall fat dude I still find the recaro's fairly comfortable. This is also my first manual car and the clutch pedal is strange at first because of the assist spring. When you are letting up the pedal there is a point when the spring kicks in (or disengages not sure) right where the engagement point is for the clutch and if you aren't used to it can cause the pedal to dance under your foot...which might lead a person to letting off the clutch too early and stalling out the engine.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Neptr posted:

Feels tighter and faster than previous years (GT). I had an '07 for 5 years, and I have to say that I miss the back end sliding out all of the time in the new ones, though - it's a "tighter" handling car; but the old feel was goofy-fun, and kind of what I associate with a Mustang. Interior is greatly improved, but not as good as Dodge. Sight lines are ok; I didn't notice much difference from my old one. More powerful feeling than the Camaro, and the second best engine sound out of the three competitors on the inside. Can't stand the shifter or the clutch.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Starkk posted:

This is also my first manual car and the clutch pedal is strange at first because of the assist spring. When you are letting up the pedal there is a point when the spring kicks in (or disengages not sure) right where the engagement point is for the clutch and if you aren't used to it can cause the pedal to dance under your foot...which might lead a person to letting off the clutch too early and stalling out the engine.

This, and a few other minor quibbles are my biggest complaints with the Mustang, but they're applicable to most other Fords. I just don't like Ford's throttle/brake/steering feel. It just never feels quite right, even in the properly quick Mustangs. (I've driven a coworker's '13 GT500.)

Both of my Z/28s, my GTO and now my Z06 have all felt reasonably similar, but in a good way. Linear brake response, linear throttle response (and impressively similar between the mechanical throttle Z/28s, and the throttle-by-wire GTO and Z06,) and the steering just... Feels right, I guess.

It's totally subjective, but it's there, to me. I'd be really interested to drive a late model Hemi Mopar, but I don't know anyone that owns one.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
As much as I do like the new Mustang, it seems like it's a lot more "this car can be a track car!" for what I need/want. I like good handling but I really don't think I'd ever take full advantage of what the Mustang could offer me over other comparable cars, honestly.

My current car is a 540i with 186k miles and an all-original suspension, for what it's worth.

I think I kinda want something that looks good, sounds good and cruises on the highway real nice. Not necessarily something that can tear it up at the track. That being said, I'll definitely drive a couple of Mustangs and see what I think of them.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CornHolio posted:

As much as I do like the new Mustang, it seems like it's a lot more "this car can be a track car!" for what I need/want. I like good handling but I really don't think I'd ever take full advantage of what the Mustang could offer me over other comparable cars, honestly.

My current car is a 540i with 186k miles and an all-original suspension, for what it's worth.

I think I kinda want something that looks good, sounds good and cruises on the highway real nice. Not necessarily something that can tear it up at the track. That being said, I'll definitely drive a couple of Mustangs and see what I think of them.

I'd recommend the Challenger, probably, then, as a cruiser. I had a 13 RT before my Scat Pack, and for a 6'0 that sometimes grabs other people or stuff from the store, it is better than the Mustang. The torque curve makes it FEEL faster than it is, as well (even though it's like, barely faster than the Mustang v6, and just by the slightest barely). There's an actual trunk and backseat, and the current model has one of the better interiors I've been in (and I test drove the Lexus/Mercedes line before getting my new car).

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
If cruising and straight line performance is your game, then definitely go Challenger. The Mustang, while no slouch in a straight line, is built for curves as well. Or get a convertible GT :getin:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Really though, how useful is the backseat of a modern Mustang? I mean, is it "kids will be cramped" or is it small but functional?

I really, really don't like the look of the new Charger or I'd have that on the list as well.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
:getin:

Glickenhaus's new ride. The SCG-003.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/scg-003-revealed-revealed-2015-02-27

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CornHolio posted:

Really though, how useful is the backseat of a modern Mustang? I mean, is it "kids will be cramped" or is it small but functional?

I really, really don't like the look of the new Charger or I'd have that on the list as well.

Cramped. The Challenger, however, has a legitimate back seat, and is much more suited to cruising around with a big fuckoff V8 than the mustang.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's not bad for kids, but I suppose that depends on how far back the seat in front of them is slid back.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

CornHolio posted:

not useful at all

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CornHolio posted:

I couldn't even put a couple of boxes in my Mustang back seat without popping the convertible top first.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tide posted:

It's not bad for kids, but I suppose that depends on how far back the seat in front of them is slid back.

I've seen adults sit in the back seat.

Not tall ones, but adults nonetheless. With the passenger seat very far forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Edit. gently caress wrong tab.