Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

So far most attempts at making DF clones that are more playable have interpreted that as "make it more simple" and just added better graphics, then you end up with stuff like Rimworld and Gnomoria but I just don't want that. I want this game, except with a few tweaks so I don't have to play microforts all the time. It'd be cool if there was just an easier way to clear clutter and just less poo poo laying around. I still want body parts but just make tattered clothing disappear completely more quickly and have stuff rot away at a faster rate.

Also make custom worldgen a bit more user friendly, I dislike the way caverns by default are shaped all spiderlike, you can make them less granular using a custom value for the caverns but it's insanely fiddly and it'd be nice if that was just the default, messy caverns also slow down FPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

dfhack has a quickrot thing that does that. Agree on the caverns.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Sankis posted:

At this point I think Toady is gonna Toady you're not wrong, of course, but history has shown that it's more likely we'll get a competitor doing stuff well (rimworld was so close...)

Was? What happened?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
No Z-levels.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Ambaire posted:

You do know about the manager and work orders, correct? You can automate that...

Yeah I do most of my stuff through it but it's awesome and a lot of people probably don't so glad to see it pointed out. It's doable but my gripe with clothing is that in any given long fortress your biggest industry is inevitably going to be the clothing industry between growing enough pigtails and making the actual clothes if you want to keep dwarfs clothed. Then when they do get new clothes so they don't walk around naked their old stuff sits in their cabinets, still owned by them so it can't even be manually dumped. If I'm wrong here and they'll bring it to a garbage pile now please correct me, but I'm pretty sure they haven't when I've played in the past and I just throw stuff into magma to get rid of it generally. Trading for materials can take some of that workload off but once you have the king (Some dwarf inherited it last fort I played, and I also had like 5 barons and a count I couldn't tell to gently caress off to their own holdings) you can't request certain goods anymore so they won't bring enough. Maybe next time I'll just push for everyone to be in armor I'm sure I could do it.

Mzbundifund posted:

No Z-levels.

I'd be down for just less Z levels and know how to do it in world gen but the problem is the good/fun cavern layer is the third one, and you need all 3 to get it I'm fairly certain. If you set it to less it'll cut the lower levels first. I kind of miss the old underground features they replaced too, most of the time they're not as interesting. Maybe I'll try scrunching them together, I know they sometimes merge if you do that but maybe that'd be a good thing instead of bad.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 27, 2019

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I liked DF without Z-levels and I'm not convinced they were worth it for how much they negatively affected performance.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I like Z-levels, but I think there are way too many of them. We don't really need dozens and dozens of floors of nothing but rock.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
That's quitter talk.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
The number of z-levels depends on how worldgen decided to go about its stuff and where you're embarking. I've seen sites with as few as 45ish levels and as many as 130+. I do admit that 130+ is a bit excessive.. maybe.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I kind of just want one, maybe two cavern layers

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Infinite clown layers.

S̝͈̘̗̻̥̳̥̝͟͠É̸̡̞͎̣̱͘͟ͅŅ̛͜҉̝̩̹͕̳͙͚D͚͕͖̙̬̰̜͉̘̱͢ ̵̘̟̳͕̖̹̟͇̭̼̮̟̯̜̦̜̤̳̀͠ͅI͠͏͔̲̲̝̣̥͉̥̤̺͍̥͈̝̹͎̗Ń҉̵̞͉̞̫̰̱̱͕͓̳̲ ҉̬̼̖̱͔̙̦̝̟͕̬͔̟̫̠̞ͅT҉̖͚̘̳͈͈̞̳̹͙͙̺H̵̻̰͉̹͞͝ͅḘ̷̸̬͙̼̹̺̝̼̘̘̜̤ ̵̡͏͔̖̙͔̼͖͓̺̠̬̪̞̠Ç͉̱̝̬̩̙̭̬̮̭͖̺͜ͅͅĹ̢̛͇̫̹͕̝̖̲̬̼̞͍͈̖͎͞Ơ̛͔̫̥̭̻̪̹̩͘͢͡ͅW̨̤͇̯̝͓͈̝̲͍̠͕̣̝͚͚̰̱͘͢ͅŅ̵̖̱̺̻͇͇̭̠̙̪̩̣͚̤̻̘͝S̸̛̺̜̖͔͕̥̮̘̪̖̫̗͎

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Had a game recently where I had no way to create high boots. Can your dwarves just sometimes... not have designs for things like that?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nessus posted:

Had a game recently where I had no way to create high boots. Can your dwarves just sometimes... not have designs for things like that?

Yes. And it's super annoying.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Eagerly rolling fortress after fortress until I meet a group of dwarves who never developed the concept of pickaxes

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I think picks are available by default, which implies the first dwarves spontaneously manifest in the world with picks in their hands, an urge to dig, and a craving for booze. This is as it should be imo

Nessus posted:

Yeah, it's possible for your civ to not invent certain things. I think it's less likely in older worlds, but it's possible the game handles it as a cultural quirk and the civ is just Like That forever.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 28, 2019

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Sorry dude, you're stuck with the low top sneakers.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Trying to look up information given that I've never really understood the tech system myself, at least one post suggests it to be part of some arcane legacy process that decides what tech a civ will have when it's generated. There's (supposedly) a hierarchy of 'levels' of armor, and you're guaranteed at least one pick from each 'level' out of the items available to your race in the raws, but you aren't guaranteed ALL of the available items, which in practice almost exclusively comes up when the game gives your dwarf civ low boots but not high boots. This is, presumably, something that will be changed or expanded on whenever civs are made more malleable and research topics and knowledge actually mean something, given that I'm pretty sure Toady has mentioned wanting some dwarven civs to have come up with unique fighting styles and weapon sets from other ones at some point. I think there's a handful of non-armor clothing options subject to this system as well, but I'd be hard-pressed to say exactly which items.

Looking into this did make me realize that, while a currently-unrelated system, it will be nice for knowledge topics among scholars to eventually be meaningful, since they include a number of topics that could be wildly useful. The 'Health' sphere includes the study and treatment of mental illness, for example, which would be keen given the current state of fortress management. I also love the sheer number of light and lens-related topics that exist.

E:

Supposedly the work-around for only having low boots is to add greaves to your military getup, but I'm not sure that's quite as fool-proof as advertised.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 28, 2019

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

1 z-level DF was a pretty great game. It would have held up without bringing in more of them either way.

When the multi z-levels was first announced it was mind-blowing though. Seeing the trickle of screenshots and preview posts by toady about it, up until it being released, was such a seismic shift in the game.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

is it possible to fund the research and development of high boots in your fortress

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ninjewtsu posted:

is it possible to fund the research and development of high boots in your fortress

Not yet. Research can't actually expand technology.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ninjewtsu posted:

Only if Urist McKinkster has a strange mood and produces something in leather

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
On the subject of magma drilling, I never worked out how to create vertical magma pumping, and gently caress making dwarves path a dillion levels, dodging Elk Birds and Cave Trolls down to find their forges. I just go loving Mordor on the surrounding forests, driving a ton of burners and smelters with wood and bitumen coal to fuel my factories.

Is it worth learning? I must have tried five times and given up.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Well, supposing most of your required metal industry is just arming and armoring your dwarves, not really. Fully kitted out iron dwarf would be lets see..

Breastplate- 3 bars
Mail shirt - 2
Helm -1
Greaves- 2
Leggins- 1
High boots -1
Gauntlets -1
Spear -1

Thats total of 12 bars, 8 items. So to melt ore Its 3 jobs (4 bars per ore chunk), then 8 jobs to do items, So 11 wood turned to charcoal. Multiply by 3 full squads, Its 330 logs. With multi-level trees thats maybe 30-40 trees.

So unless youre super sparse on trees the only issue is extra work- maybe 1-2 fulltime wood burners and 1 woodchuck and the extra hauling.

Dont even get me started on the elves- their demands only start by the time you have nobles, at which point your military should be kitted out, and once they do they dont demand hundred or less LOGS But full-rear end trees which means you still have a leeway of around 3-500 logs a year.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Shibawanko posted:

I want more marital drama in this game, including divorce proceedings. I want every dwarven marriage to basically be the Honeymooners with magma.

One of these days, Urist, bang zoom right to *game halts for five minutes procedurally generating the number, terrain and history of moons*

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I'd be down for just less Z levels and know how to do it in world gen but the problem is the good/fun cavern layer is the third one, and you need all 3 to get it I'm fairly certain. If you set it to less it'll cut the lower levels first. I kind of miss the old underground features they replaced too, most of the time they're not as interesting. Maybe I'll try scrunching them together, I know they sometimes merge if you do that but maybe that'd be a good thing instead of bad.

Shibawanko posted:

I kind of just want one, maybe two cavern layers

To be honest it'd be a RELATIVELY easy modding deal to just put... everything that shows up in the third caver layer also in the second cavern layer.

Tias posted:

On the subject of magma drilling, I never worked out how to create vertical magma pumping, and gently caress making dwarves path a dillion levels, dodging Elk Birds and Cave Trolls down to find their forges. I just go loving Mordor on the surrounding forests, driving a ton of burners and smelters with wood and bitumen coal to fuel my factories.

Is it worth learning? I must have tried five times and given up.
Have you considered... The Magma Piston? Controlled Cave-Ins to instantly move magma up as many z levels as you have solid floors.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Jazerus posted:

toady doesn't play fortress mode and doesn't seem to understand why that's bad for the majority of his players, who exclusively play fortress mode. his development is not targeted toward improving fortress play simply because he doesn't know what's wrong with it through personal experience.

i think the steam version is going to force him to grapple with those sorts of considerations though. the actual game is increasingly unsuited to showcasing the depth of the simulation beneath it, as it stands

Steam release certainly appears to be making them look into the game as more of a product:
https://twitter.com/threetoebay12/status/1188668766399254528

Zach's also got a thread over on the Bay12Games forums asking for player feedback re: stress mechanics:
https://twitter.com/clinodev/status/1189002899633913856

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Jesus, were they really not aware of the extent of the stress problem? It's been a fortress-killing issue for literally years now. :psyduck:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Re. high boots, maybe they're an Elf Thing and it would just be unthinkinkable for a dwarf to make or wear them?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Jesus, were they really not aware of the extent of the stress problem? It's been a fortress-killing issue for literally years now. :psyduck:

It's a really common dev blindness thing - heck it's happened to me sometimes. Until you experience a bug for yourself it's way too easy to dismiss as "not a huge priority, I'll get to it in due time" and then you experience it for yourself and go "oh. Oooh. Better fix that then"

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Official forums, especially a cult favorite game, can also be kinda bad for finding out stuff like that. Don't upset or distract the CREATOR with your talk of imbalances. I can handle it just fine maybe you need to get better.

Don't know if that's true for bay12 but I wouldn't be surprised.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Oct 30, 2019

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's more that Toady always keeps them at a distance. Dwarf fortress forums got really loving creepy about the game in the past, I remember reading somewhere that it got so bad that Toady wrote in his will that he's only going to release the game's code upon his death if he dies of natural causes.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

That's a shame but maybe the least surprising thing I've read today. I remember early on you could just pop into irc and chat with him. Because of that I'm the reason molten rock changes name from magma to lava when it reaches the surface.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

my dad posted:

It's more that Toady always keeps them at a distance. Dwarf fortress forums got really loving creepy about the game in the past, I remember reading somewhere that it got so bad that Toady wrote in his will that he's only going to release the game's code upon his death if he dies of natural causes.
Oh dear, was the mermaid drowning thing not just a weird quirk? I'm guessing it wasn't just a weird quirk.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
now all I can envision is them gathering all the most powerful and influential Dwarf Fortress players together like

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

now all I can envision is them gathering all the most powerful and influential Dwarf Fortress players together like

Procedurally generated Angels trying to initiate third impact by breaking through to the Circus.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

* Urist McKari has cancelled Operate Giant Robot: Depressed.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Thanks guys, this conversation made the word "Uristsukidoji" pop into my head and it won't leave.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Anime & Dwarf fortress.. two great things, together at last!

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Nessus posted:

Oh dear, was the mermaid drowning thing not just a weird quirk? I'm guessing it wasn't just a weird quirk.

The weird thing about these forums is that farming prisoners for organs and human skin in RimWorld is considered fine and good, but drowning mermen immediately escalates to top tier what the gently caress. I see no difference. It's just a game, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

look, all I'm saying is if Toady didn't want me doing this, he wouldn't have made my ☼Unicorn meat roast☼ so insanely valuable