Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mirificus posted:

The Squadron 42 trailer music isn't too bad. However, it's from that awful 2012 movie Battleship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpgUuGunU0o

Battleship was good, and was released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

A Neurotic Jew posted:

This is basically a repost but:

here's the list of things they've promised to be in the game thus far: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

They're going to have to go through the list point by point. They aren't just going to present a game to the jury, ask them if they see a game in front of them, and case dismissed. If CIG claims in court that every item on that list is in the game they will be in serious, serious poo poo.

I know the average juror won't be super gaming literate, but everyone's had to deal with snake oil once or twice in their lives.

quote:

unless RSI has failed to deliver the pledge items and/or the Game to you within 12 months after the estimated delivery date

What about the Caterpillar and the other shits that have been in the oven for years now?

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

trucutru posted:

Here is the state of all the announced ships.

They'll get to the big ones any day now.

I don't even remember half of these. What the hell is the Crucible supposed to be?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Othin posted:

I don't even remember half of these. What the hell is the Crucible supposed to be?

That is the brand new ship that introduced 2 new game mechanics for ship repair.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

trucutru posted:

I kinda like the asymmetrical design of the Herald. This is the first time I've seen it and I really wonder why it's in something like this.

I love that the Hull ships all have the same containers, except bigger for some reason. You'd think they'd just scale the Hull C, Hull D, and Hull E down to the same size as the Hull A and Hull B, or vice versa.

Edit: OMG, the Hull C, Hull D, and Hull E have the same front and identical engine sections, they just have extra gun turrets pasted on and are scaled up. That's some lazy, lazy loving work.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 25, 2015

The Marauder
Dec 1, 2013

Why walk out when you can outrun?

Octopode posted:

There literally never has been, and still isn't, an intention for an independent FPS module. Star Marine was and still is planned as another subgame within the game, just like Arena Commander. I don't know where you got this idea that there was going to be an independent FPS game.

For what its worth, this is correct. That said, it doesn't change the fact that a playable proof of concept for FPS (in a loving FPS engine) is how many months late now?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

trucutru posted:

So how many thousands of hours are required to complete these?

Misren
Nov 30, 2014

First the doctor told me the good news: I was going to have a disease named after me.

no_recall posted:

Depends if we're talking in human hours or Crobert's hours.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

The Marauder posted:

For what its worth, this is correct. That said, it doesn't change the fact that a playable proof of concept for FPS (in a loving FPS engine) is how many months late now?

He's being obtuse. I'm well aware that the intention was ultimately roll the FPS features from the module into the PU. He was trying to side-skip the implications of CIG basically back-tracking on an entire years worth of "Star Marine module will be out Any Day Now".

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

G0RF posted:

If you don't mind me asking, Bootcha, was it the employee abuse that tipped the scale for you- once you started digging deeper? Or was it more the sum total of managerial misdeeds? It seemed like the former-- like you didn't want to stay in business with those sorts- regardless of whether it might make you money.

It was mostly the former as a result of an argument with me. It's a long story, but yeah, it's mostly the former.

He's a good guy. :swoon:

(edit: Yeah, I know he can post this himself, but I also know he's asleep right now and unlikely to pay much attention to this thread due to the holiday. Plus he's reluctant to bring me into it even though I don't care.)

fuzzknot fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 25, 2015

The Marauder
Dec 1, 2013

A Neurotic Jew posted:

He's being obtuse. I'm well aware that the intention was ultimately roll the FPS features from the module into the PU. He was trying to side-skip the implications of CIG basically back-tracking on an entire years worth of "Star Marine module will be out Any Day Now".

Which is all well and good, but I really wish you two would play nice.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

The Marauder posted:

parp

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

No, I'm not. You made the same statement about an independent FPS module here that you did the first time we had this conversation. It was never independent. But you keep making that claim for some reason (and then change the argument when someone else points out you're still wrong about it).

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm going to show those dastardly naysayers, but I don't know how

perhaps I will try... nitpicking

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I'd say the 2.0 that they managed to poo poo out-- even with the crashes-- would convince 11/12 jury members that they have progression on game development. Call in an expert witness to testify how long it takes to make a AAA game, compare the scope lists of them vs Star Citizen, and you'd have a pretty hard time convincing even an educated layperson that they've been pissing away the money on coke and booze instead of game development ("in addition to" is also another :can:).
Right, but it's not about whether they can show progression on game development. It's about whether they can demonstrate they are actively developing the game in good faith as opposed to simply constructing something that "shows progress" in a bad faith attempt to protect themselves from lawsuits while they loot the company. The giant list of stuff promised for 2014 is the evidence of wrongdoing - the charge is, essentially, they sold a product that would have A-Z and their delivery so far is only S H I T. The point is to discover if this is a result of it just being too hard and nobody could've delivered it, or if it's a result of the company being negligently or criminally run.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

Decrepus posted:

That is the brand new ship that introduced 2 new game mechanics for ship repair.

So wait, the client crash and falling the gently caress out of game world aren't actually bugs, they're just gameplay features that haven't been fully implemented yet :aaaaa:

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

D_Smart posted:

Yes - we know. Which is why a bunch of very expensive attorneys are mulling over how best to approach this. I'm not inclined to march into court just to say I did, piss away all that money (I have $100K in retainers committed across three law firms. Believe it. These things are not cheap. Been there)

The biggest thing we're dealing with now, is a technicality over the arbitration clause (in the ToS). Since there are three ToS which apply to three different classes of people depending on when they pledged, one wrong move and they can get any lawsuit tossed and dropped into arbitration. Not that I care, but they would see it as a "win" (even though it won't be) and it will just have burned legal bills. And if it gets tossed down to arbitration, they can get awarded costs by the judge.

Arbitration is not bad, but it has some rules which could end up not allowing the public to know wtf is going on; which will defeat the purpose. Which is why we don't want to go that route if at all possible.

Yes - I'm putting this all in the public domain because, why the gently caress not? This whole farce was started in the public domain and there shouldn't be any secrets. I'm not doing this to "win". I'm doing this to bring accountability to a project that, for the most part, involved not only lies, but also borders on fraudulent inducement depending on how the law ends up interpreting what happened. They sealed our fate when, instead of letting me vent, they decided to make it personal. Now they're hosed because they've got my attention. And I"m semi-retired with nothing better to do with my spare time but to work diligently to prove that I'm right. Even if they fold in the coming months, it won't matter because the public will still need to see those financials.

I will never - ever - let them get away with this. I don't care how long it takes nor what it costs.

Oh, I believe that this is not going to be a cheap endeavor. I don't envy you going through untangling all of this legal bullshit, especially with which way to go and how to approach it. And getting everything sealed up if it goes to arbitration would be a shame. Those TOS' must be a nightmare. Even if the lawsuit doesn't amount to anything, I think it is a good thing. They are loving up crowd funding and their method of getting cash is completely reprehensible. Freemium games are at least games. They are exploiting people and sell ships that don't even exist with no way of knowing how the game is going to be balanced. What is worse is that if they get away with this, other companies will try something similar. Gaming has enough bad poo poo in it, it doesn't need paying for imaginary poo poo added to the heaps of micro transactions, bad DRM and day one DLC.

Another thing, I never could figure out why they just didn't ignore you and instead went on this bizarre warpath. Responding only lends credence to the fact that the things you are saying might be true. If you were really so insignificant, why would Roberts write a rambling letter about you? He didn't even need to show anything, he could have just ignored you and just said, 'no comment'. Confronting you like this was stupid. I do think they need to be held accountable because they aren't working with their money. They have a responsibility to their backers and they seem to not give a poo poo. People can say whatever they want about you, at least you didn't fund your games through concept art from your customers in one of the absolute shadiest and garbage practices I have ever seen. Not to mention that awful developer gulag. Have you ever seen anything like that?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Octopode posted:

No, I'm not. You made the same statement about an independent FPS module here that you did the first time we had this conversation. It was never independent. But you keep making that claim for some reason (and then change the argument when someone else points out you're still wrong about it).

Wait.... Wait wait wait wait.

You're trying to twist things around here.

First- there was never the intent to make the FPS aspect of the game separate. You are correct in that.

That being said, the first iterations of FPS development were to be separated into a separate module- completely independent from the DFM and hangar. It was to be launched from the hangar, as a "sim" called Star Marine. This was to allow the FPS combat portion to be developed alongside flight and "planet side" parts of the game.

This was also to include the Ender Arena and some made up game called "Sataball"

CIG completely hosed this up. I couldn't care less if they outsourced it to Illfonic.

All of the work, including the multiplayer demo from last spring, was completely trashed except for whatever few assets they could bring over. Things such as the original armor, effects, maps, grav gen, the zero-g character animations (remember the video where the model would automatically grab things 'correctly'), the dynamic lighting, particle effect, etc were worthless and didn't make it through the attempted code merge.

They didn't even try merging the FPS into any part of the client until this summer.

The only things from the 2 years of FPS work are a handful of textures, head bobbing, and the lack of a crosshair.

So yes, the FPS was to be an independent module and EVENTUALLY merged into the PU- however this 2.0 talk didn't even come about until they realized how bad the merge was.

It was to be Arena Commander 2.0, with multicrew and the ability to move around. This was not the FPS part. Somewhere AC 2.0 was slowly dropped, and around the time CIG really noticed the problems with the FPS branch did the talk of "baby PU" come about.

This whole Star Citizen 2.0 is a complete deviation from the original development plan, which would have had the DFM, FPS, and Planetside completely separate and only after their release and stabilization were they to be combined to make the PU. However when all this went tits up they just turned the stock Cryengine FPS branch back on and band-aid patched what they could to make it work. And that's where you are now with 2.0

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Octopode posted:

There literally never has been, and still isn't, an intention for an independent FPS module. Star Marine was and still is planned as another subgame within the game, just like Arena Commander. I don't know where you got this idea that there was going to be an independent FPS game.
Maybe people thought this because Chris Roberts invoked the world's most successful FPS games so that he could explain how Star Marine would actually be superior to them...

I don't know whether it's a subgame, independent FPS, or some hybrid. But I do know, beyond any doubt, it's not going to be superior to Battlefield 4. Or Black Ops 3. Or even Quake 2. Because CIG hasn't delivered anything that was superior to the competition yet-- save for the exploitative nerd fleecing mechanic that powers the business.

Chris overcomplicates every drat thing in his quest to reinvent everything- and in the process, he kills fun and replaces it with chores. And you can see him planning it in the article above-- with things like trying to simulate player running momentum so you can't hard stop from a sprint in the shooter, you'll have to stagger and lurch to an awkward stop every time.

That's a recipe for suckiness- like G-Force blackout mechanics in flight, or forced ten second animations every time you get out of bed, or ten minute answers to one sentence questions on 10ftC...

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

The Marauder posted:

sorry but I'm gonna have to parp on this a little bit more.

Octopode posted:

You're being pedantic or the word "independent" ended up confusing you somehow, even though you yourself described Star Marine as "independent of other game mechanics" when people were trying to understand what the hell you were trying to argue. I was always referring to the Star Marine module. I never intended this idea of an FPS retail game completely divorced from the PU, or whatever it is you were trying to say I said. Although I'm not sure how I could have made it any clearer.

Thanks for reminding me what a good era in owning Octopode that was though. :allears:

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 25, 2015

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

OhDearGodNo posted:

Wait.... Wait wait wait wait.

You're trying to twist things around here.

First- there was never the intent to make the FPS aspect of the game separate. You are correct in that.

Then why did you bother with the rest of that post when you start by conceding the same point I was making to begin with? I didn't change anything around--he implied there was something wrong with me stating the FPS was never intended to be an independent thing, even though it wasn't. I don't know how you read all these other things into correcting that single fact.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

no_recall posted:

The "connie" takes like 40-60 hours of playing to get (according to Christ himself) , there are four versions, and are medium-sized. If you consider a large ship to be worth 4 connies and an x-large one to be worth 8 then that's at least 4000 hours of pure gameplay!

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

A Neurotic Jew posted:

sorry but I'm gonna have to parp on this a little bit more.

You're being pedantic or the word "independent" ended up confusing you somehow, even though you yourself described Star Marine as "independent of other game mechanics" when people were trying to understand what the hell you were trying to argue. I was always referring to the Star Marine module. I never intended this idea of an FPS retail game completely divorced from the PU, or whatever it is you were trying to say I said. Although I'm not sure how I could have made it any clearer.

Thanks for reminding me what a good era in owning Octopode that was though. :allears:
Even right there in that second link you referred to it as a separate download from the rest of the game, which was exactly what I was arguing against there. Do you just ignore the actual meaning of words when you write, or what?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Octopode posted:

Then why did you bother with the rest of that post when you start by conceding the same point I was making to begin with? I didn't change anything around--he implied there was something wrong with me stating the FPS was never intended to be an independent thing, even though it wasn't. I don't know how you read all these other things into correcting that single fact.

You should probably re-read my post.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

When alpha slots ran out, CIG charged every new customer $5 to play the DFM. They also clearly stated the FPS module would cost an additional $5. If they did not buy the FPS pass, they could play whatever they had access to.

This was to carry on until the final merge with the PU, at which case the late customer would have spent $5 for the DFM, FPS, and Planetside modules.

This was again later changed and thrown out, and CIG converted the $5 into worthless credits.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Octopode posted:

Even right there in that second link you referred to it as a separate download from the rest of the game, which was exactly what I was arguing against there. Do you just ignore the actual meaning of words when you write, or what?

Octopde, while arguing about semantics and the meaning of words may be fun surely you must realize that the game, in its current "alpha 2.0" (lol, a 2.0 alpha) state, sucks a whole metric kilometer of dicks, right?

Yes, I know a kilometer is not the proper measurement unit for dicks.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Octopode posted:

Wow this is some pretty brazen pedantry right here, even for you. Welp.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Stream Until It's Stable! 2.0b 12hr+ Marathon Crashapalooza
BadNewsBaron playing Star Citizen on Bad News Gaming

Crash 150! Yes!

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

The Marauder
Dec 1, 2013

God drat it you two.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

fuzzknot posted:

It was mostly the former as a result of an argument with me. It's a long story, but yeah, it's mostly the former.

He's a good guy. :swoon:

(edit: Yeah, I know he can post this himself, but I also know he's asleep right now and unlikely to pay much attention to this thread due to the holiday. Plus he's reluctant to bring me into it even though I don't care.)
Thanks for the perspective.

It really seems like, for employees or investors, CIG is not a "good guy" friendly environment. Chris & Sandi seem to prize loyalty above all else-- character, talent, experience all are secondary to someone's ability and willingness to kiss rear end, lick boots, and basically prostrate themselves before the golden idol the Roberts have erected for worship.

Glad Bootcha got out and can wash his hands of their grime and move on.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

trucutru posted:

Octopde, while arguing about semantics and the meaning of words may be fun surely you must realize that the game, in its current "alpha 2.0" (lol, a 2.0 alpha) state, sucks a whole metric kilometer of dicks, right?

Understand something, SC was designed to appeal to alpha males. Stop making a fuss and just wait for the gamma version to come out like a good boy.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

G0RF posted:

Thanks for the perspective.

It really seems like, for employees or investors, CIG is not a "good guy" friendly environment. Chris & Sandi seem to prize loyalty above all else-- character, talent, experience all are secondary to someone's ability and willingness to kiss rear end, lick boots, and basically prostrate themselves before the golden idol the Roberts have erected for worship.

Glad Bootcha got out and can wash his hands of their grime and move on.
Also: CIG poached Crytek employees when the company got into trouble. Which means those employees now "owe" Roberts and have to thank him for saving their jobs/careers/etc. At least for now.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Right, but that's what I mean: even without the ToS thing they've been giving out refunds* , so you can't say "I didn't get my refund" ("timely refunds" may be arguable, but that's a whole other :can:), and I'd say the 2.0 that they managed to poo poo out-- even with the crashes-- would convince 11/12 jury members that they have progression on game development. Call in an expert witness to testify how long it takes to make a AAA game, compare the scope lists of them vs Star Citizen, and you'd have a pretty hard time convincing even an educated layperson that they've been pissing away the money on coke and booze instead of game development ("in addition to" is also another :can:).

They bought a mo-cap studio, then outsourced the mo-cap work (while still owning the studio they bought I think?) and are now building a new mo-cap studio.

If that isn't pissing money up a wall I don't know what is.

EDIT: Also the possibility that Sandi is going to auditions on company money.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Was it Karl or octopooh that outed their clearance in this thread? It's hard to stay up to date on the crazies. Can you please update the op with the mentally insane Derek?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Octopode posted:

Ninth chevron locked, see you in the verse.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

jaegerx posted:

Was it Karl or octopooh that outed their clearance in this thread? It's hard to stay up to date on the crazies. Can you please update the op with the mentally insane Derek?

Octopode posted:

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
When your dick is as small as Octopode's, ants are the only thing you can gently caress.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

His epeen is so strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

MeLKoR posted:

That looks fun, what's it called?

Clustertruck. It's greenlit on steam right now, but it's not out yet.

• Locked thread