Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
That card isn't terrible I just wish you could use it more then once a turn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
These lands are going to be rough. They are probably best for splashing a 3rd color in a 2 color deck and true 3 color decks are gonna be very hard to play. And I'm more apt to try to play 3 colors with evolving wilds and the battle lands than these anyway.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Elyv posted:

card seems awful

It probably is awful to be honest. If the ability was free and it wasn't restricted to once a turn, it would probably still be bad but at least it would have a chance. Just like most cards, you would prefer the card do something by itself first.

mcmagic posted:

These lands are going to be rough. They are probably best for splashing a 3rd color in a 2 color deck and true 3 color decks are gonna be very hard to play. And I'm more apt to try to play 3 colors with evolving wilds and the battle lands than these anyway.

Yeah... odds are this is going to be a two color standard. 3 could happen still, just the odds don't look great at the moment.

Also it seems interesting on the two color front as well though. Enemy colors get what... a painland and a tapped land? Seems like a major downgrade from handlands and battlelands.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 21, 2016

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

mandatory lesbian posted:

That card isn't terrible I just wish you could use it more then once a turn

You can at least use it in your turn and the opponents, I'm not sure how often you'd be looking to discard a card like that anyway. With good Madness support it might be good against aggro.

Also, yay for good art depicting Olivia!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
At the very worst it turns dead draws into creatures for cheap, which isn't that bad of a card.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It seems worse than most of the other discard outlets we've seen so far.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Turning every card in your deck into a split card where one side is a 1/1 with lifelink, flash and a potentially relevant creature type for 1 seems pretty decent in limited to me. Being in a set with Delirium and Madness definitely doesn't hurt either.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Sickening posted:

Enemy colors get what... a painland and a tapped land? Seems like a major downgrade from handlands and battlelands.

The Manlands are enemy colored.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Elyv posted:

How many madness cards do you think you'll have in your deck? You'll get a discount instead of having to discard something like twice max, probably.

idk, ask me when the full spoiler is out.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

End of Life Guy posted:

The Manlands are enemy colored.

Totally forgot about manlands. That does make a huge difference.

If anything, shambling vent is probably too cheap at the moment.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 21, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Totally forgot about manlands. That does make a huge difference.

If anything, shambling vent is probably too cheap at the moment.

BW is the most obvious color pair to start the next standard with. It's already pretty good and it's not losing any of it's mana fixing.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

So the allied manabase ends up like a worse version of checks + shocks. You could probably run 3 color but you'd have lands coming into play tapped a fair amount of the time. The new lands do make Evolving Wilds a bit awkward.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

mcmagic posted:

BW is the most obvious color pair to start the next standard with. It's already pretty good and it's not losing any of it's mana fixing.

GW megamorph isn't going anywhere either (although it may be getting much whiter)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Seems like Eldrazi will be the most consistent deck going into the new standard.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

GW megamorph isn't going anywhere either (although it may be getting much whiter)

GW Company is probably going to be where you want to be at but not being able to play blue in that deck reliably is going to make it a lot worse.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

Seems like Eldrazi will be the most consistent deck going into the new standard.

Basically. I think you can swap rattleclaw mystic for another 2 mana dork and keep the rest of the deck other than fetches.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Which Eldrazi deck are you talking about? Kent Ketter's red one? That seems pretty untouched.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Which Eldrazi deck are you talking about? Kent Ketter's red one? That seems pretty untouched.

G/R ramp one didn't lose anything but wooded foothills in its entire 75.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

G/R ramp one didn't lose anything but wooded foothills in its entire 75.

GR Ramp is a terrible deck though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

GR Ramp is a terrible deck though.

Eh, terrible based on what? Previous standard? Terrible playstyle?

I had a lot of this deck in my local meta and for as silly as this deck might seem, it definitely wasn't terrible. Kozi's return is a great card and turn 4/5 worldbreakers happened pretty consistently. It though, like a lot of decks, just didn't beat rally consistently.

It could very well continue to be a 1.5 tier deck in the next standard, but there is a lot to be said about a competitive deck that doesn't lose any its cards after a major rotation.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Eh, terrible based on what? Previous standard? Terrible playstyle?

I had a lot of this deck in my local meta and for as silly as this deck might seem, it definitely wasn't terrible. Kozi's return is a great card and turn 4/5 worldbreakers happened pretty consistently. It though, like a lot of decks, just didn't beat rally consistently.

It could very well continue to be a 1.5 tier deck in the next standard, but there is a lot to be said about a competitive deck that doesn't lose any its cards after a major rotation.

It's just SUPER high variance and has too many 25-75 matchups.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

It's just SUPER high variance and has too many 25-75 matchups.

I never piloted the deck, but what were its bad matchups?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It also loses Ugin but Ugin was becoming less good anyway.

e: the main upside of ramp is that it bodies midrange decks, which is a lot of the format

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

I never piloted the deck, but what were its bad matchups?

Rally, any aggressive build of Jeskai, any aggressive red deck, Bant and 4c Comapny. It was good against the controlling versions of Jeskai Black and against Abzan decks but those aren't really in the format now other than Mardu Green.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 21, 2016

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I want to see what archetypes Eerie Interlude ends up spawning, and if that's what rally morphs into.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

For gently caress sake that land cycle is miserable.

They could of finished the Lorwyn tribal land cycle but nooooo.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It also loses Ugin but Ugin was becoming less good anyway.

Ugin will become less legal going into SoI anyway, if that was a stumbling block for RG Ramp.

Of the spoiled cards, though, none of them really ramp or need to be ramped into. Arlinn is a big bonus for anything GR but she's midrangey rather than rampy.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

This red card seems like a Very Good Red Card

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

This red card seems like a Very Good Red Card

Both of these seem pretty good.

Sin Prodder is literally "Do I get this burn spell or do you get 3 to the face?"

Really cool card.

And oh my god it also has evasion!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Sin Prodder seems alright but you better not be mana-screwed when you cast it!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

I want to see what archetypes Eerie Interlude ends up spawning, and if that's what rally morphs into.

Given the precedent, probably nothing.

Count Bleck posted:

Sin Prodder is literally "Do I get this burn spell or do you get 3 to the face?"

They are really trying to find a punisher card that people are willing to play, it seems like.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I can't wait until someone slams that devil on turn 3 and then loses horribly when their opponent never lets them draw a land again.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Sin Prodder seems alright but you better not be mana-screwed when you cast it!

In the right Red Deck, 3 mana is all you need anyway

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kalli posted:

I can't wait until someone slams that devil on turn 3 and then loses horribly when their opponent never lets them draw a land again.

I mean, you still get to draw cards normally

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Kalli posted:

This is an upkeep trigger, it doesn't replace the regular draw or anything.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'm retarded.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Sin Prodder is going to be very painful to play against and I want to run 4 of them. I have no idea what the shell will be but I love it and hate it already.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Sin prodder seems like a very good card.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I actually think that Devil's less than great in a burn deck or an aggro deck, having a 2/3rds chance of dealing ~2 damage on upkeep is a pretty mediocre rate, but the body's solidly aggressive.

Honestly, you're rolling a dice every upkeep and on a 1-4 your opponent gives you whichever option you want least. I think I'll pass.

E: on the other hand if a 3/2 menace is a playable body in whatever deck then the ability is just gravy, but if it's getting played, its for the body primarily.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Sin Prodder doesn't seem that amazing. It's Boggart Brute that maybe pings your opponent each upkeep.

• Locked thread