Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Velcro tape works great for SSDs, or double sided tape if you won’t need to move it around much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah SSD are rated for something like 100G force. The fiberglass PCB will fail before the components do. The largest failure mode now is that the data connector will get damaged somehow.

Until I got my Synology unit all my SSD were just sitting loose in my case for six years, heck I still have two just sitting loose and naked in a drawer with sata->USB cables

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Having recently gotten into torrents, I'm looking to set up a torrent client on my (Synology DS918+) NAS as a Docker container, ideally with a VPN connection.

Looking around I've come across this tutorial: http://tomthegreat.com/2018/03/11/setting-up-deluge-with-vpn-on-synology-using-docker/

I'm wondering if anyone has experience doing something similar and if that guide would be a good idea to follow.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Hey team. Is this a good deal as an upgrade from my Synology 1515+. Primarily to be used as a Plex server, may throw ESXi on there as well.
$200
Dell PowerEdge R620 Server - Used/Good Condition
2 x 3.30ghz Intel Xeon E5-2643 quad core CPUs
32gb ram
8 x 2.5" SAS or SATA drive bays (2 trays included). Supports 2.5" laptop SSD and HDD drives.
Remote access controller
2 x 750w power supplies

Same guy is also selling this:

$450
Dell PowerEdge R420 Server - Used/Good Condition
2 × 2.50ghz hex core Intel Xeon E5-2430 v2 processors
96gb ram
4 × 3.5" SAS or SATA drive bays, trays included
IDRAC remote access controller
2 × power supplies
ReadyRails sliding rail kit
Dell warranty through Oct 2019

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

$200 seems like a great price *if* it matches your needs. My main concern would be if you are okay with working with 2.5" drives and if you are okay with how loud the fans would howl when dealing with 2x130w CPU load in a 1u form factor.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Yeah the main disadvantage of those old Sandy Bridge servers is noise and power consumption. You can put together something equally fast at a fraction of the noise and power, it’ll just be more expensive. It’s also not a ton of drives for the space.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

priznat posted:

Nice. No gotchas with recognizing the drives on a new system? As long as they are on a sata controller supported by the OS they should be fine?

Not that I'm aware of. I have reorganised drives, moving them between controllers, on my system before. I think UnRAID uses device or partition GUID to match them to the array so there was no issue.

Standard backups disclaimer applies.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

CopperHound posted:

$200 seems like a great price *if* it matches your needs. My main concern would be if you are okay with working with 2.5" drives and if you are okay with how loud the fans would howl when dealing with 2x130w CPU load in a 1u form factor.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah the main disadvantage of those old Sandy Bridge servers is noise and power consumption. You can put together something equally fast at a fraction of the noise and power, it’ll just be more expensive. It’s also not a ton of drives for the space.

Sounds like if it becomes a pain in the rear end I can probably resell it and get a good chunk of my money back. Will be in a basement as well so noise isn't as much of an issue but maybe I can see how loud it is before buying. Will report back. Really appreciate the feedback!

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

On the noise topic: My U-NAS 810a case is at a tolerable noise level with the case open, but the vent design over the 70mm fan makes it significantly louder with the cover on. I'm thinking about cutting the case and bolting on a wire fan grille, but I'm not sure how much it will help or if I can make clean cuts on sheet metal without leaving jagged edges.

Any advice for making some clean finished cuts without special tin knocker tools and skills, or whether or not this is even a good idea?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CopperHound posted:

Also those PSU's are going to be on their last legs. I had >1000 of those servers Back In The Day and the caps in them are starting to literally pop/smoke out. Granted these are cheaper units, but it was also several years ago that the boards in them started to go.

What do you pay for power? Do you already have permanent hearing loss or is it going in your garage? What do you actually need it to do? Saying "Plex" isn't a quantifiable answer - 1 stream? 5 streams? Cheap transcoding to mobile clients? Expensive 4kUHD transcoding? direct streams? Similarly, ESXi isn't an answer, do you want it to do real work or just labbing up some interconnected services?

My point here isn't to be snarky but to make sure you're buying with your eyes open. You can get a lot of oomph in desktop form factors these days for more capital up front but less power and noise down the line. It's not like it needs more than a boot disk in it given you already have a synology.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah, only get rack servers if you have somwhere to hide them and are willing to cover the electricity costs.

And thats coming from a guy running a quad opteron.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CopperHound posted:

On the noise topic: My U-NAS 810a case is at a tolerable noise level with the case open, but the vent design over the 70mm fan makes it significantly louder with the cover on. I'm thinking about cutting the case and bolting on a wire fan grille, but I'm not sure how much it will help or if I can make clean cuts on sheet metal without leaving jagged edges.

Any advice for making some clean finished cuts without special tin knocker tools and skills, or whether or not this is even a good idea?

A cutoff wheel or tin snips will make your hole, then you will need to grind and file your way to not being razor sharp. Get an old trash computer case to practice on. wear safety glasses and keep out of plane with the death wheel.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

CopperHound posted:

You could also try getting a Noctua Low-Noise Adapter or playing with fan speed in IPMI (you'll probably need a command line, I couldn't get it to work from the web interface very well). It may just be loud at full RPM but you may not notice a difference in temps with it ramped down.

I'm a positive pressure fanatic so I have my fans pushing inwards with filters over the grille on the back, and I'm pretty sure that's enough to keep the drives cool regardless of whatever happens with the motherboard "compartment". I have a pair of low-noise adapters on those fan cables and I can still feel a breeze coming through the drive bays while it's significantly less obnoxious in terms of noise.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

Also those PSU's are going to be on their last legs. I had >1000 of those servers Back In The Day and the caps in them are starting to literally pop/smoke out. Granted these are cheaper units, but it was also several years ago that the boards in them started to go.

What do you pay for power? Do you already have permanent hearing loss or is it going in your garage? What do you actually need it to do? Saying "Plex" isn't a quantifiable answer - 1 stream? 5 streams? Cheap transcoding to mobile clients? Expensive 4kUHD transcoding? direct streams? Similarly, ESXi isn't an answer, do you want it to do real work or just labbing up some interconnected services?

My point here isn't to be snarky but to make sure you're buying with your eyes open. You can get a lot of oomph in desktop form factors these days for more capital up front but less power and noise down the line. It's not like it needs more than a boot disk in it given you already have a synology.

You make good points. I have about 5-10 friends/family I would like to share with but probably would only anticipate 3-4 streams at a time. Sounds like it's not worth it with the hardware life expectancy being low and the power costs. Price seemed very attractive but it does sound like it would be pain.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Smashing Link posted:

Hey team. Is this a good deal as an upgrade from my Synology 1515+. Primarily to be used as a Plex server, may throw ESXi on there as well.
$200
Dell PowerEdge R620 Server - Used/Good Condition
2 x 3.30ghz Intel Xeon E5-2643 quad core CPUs
32gb ram
8 x 2.5" SAS or SATA drive bays (2 trays included). Supports 2.5" laptop SSD and HDD drives.
Remote access controller
2 x 750w power supplies

Some problems I can see beyond the heat and noise aspects: SNB-EP CPUs don't have hardware transcode, you're going to be downgrading your max storage capacity (3.5" HDDs are more than twice as large as 2.5", so five 3.5" bays gives you more capacity than eight 2.5"), you're going to have to track down 6 more of the R620 drive trays to even take advantage of all eight bays (in a rackmount server like this, trays aren't optional), and you won't be able to migrate your 3.5" drives from the synology.

Also:

Smashing Link posted:

Sounds like if it becomes a pain in the rear end I can probably resell it and get a good chunk of my money back. Will be in a basement as well so noise isn't as much of an issue but maybe I can see how loud it is before buying. Will report back. Really appreciate the feedback!

There's a reason why retired rackmount servers often get listed at tempting prices: they aren't very useful to anyone who doesn't have a big rack in a datacenter to put them in, and by the time they're as old as this R620, they aren't useful to those people because the hardware is obsolete and at elevated risk of failure.

In other words, it's cheap because there's not much demand for it. Don't count on being able to resell it easily if it doesn't work out.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

BobHoward posted:

Some problems I can see beyond the heat and noise aspects: SNB-EP CPUs don't have hardware transcode, you're going to be downgrading your max storage capacity (3.5" HDDs are more than twice as large as 2.5", so five 3.5" bays gives you more capacity than eight 2.5"), you're going to have to track down 6 more of the R620 drive trays to even take advantage of all eight bays (in a rackmount server like this, trays aren't optional), and you won't be able to migrate your 3.5" drives from the synology.

Also:

There's a reason why retired rackmount servers often get listed at tempting prices: they aren't very useful to anyone who doesn't have a big rack in a datacenter to put them in, and by the time they're as old as this R620, they aren't useful to those people because the hardware is obsolete and at elevated risk of failure.

In other words, it's cheap because there's not much demand for it. Don't count on being able to resell it easily if it doesn't work out.

Guess I'll be looking into DIY builds. It's been about 15 years since I built a computer but it was fun the last time, and budget is less of an issue.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Smashing Link posted:

Guess I'll be looking into DIY builds. It's been about 15 years since I built a computer but it was fun the last time, and budget is less of an issue.

SuperMicro is your friend.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Especially if you go for one of their large number of embedded CPU boards (though you're best of looking for the ones with a CPU fan attached) for just about every budget constraint (or lack thereof), as the only slightly difficult thing about computers is applying the right amount of thermal paste. Then the only thing you need to worry about is the form-factor, and Flex-ATX fits in Micro-ATX so that gives you even more options.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

16 core Xeon-D hnnnnggg

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
There are some really truly insane single board single socket CPUs out there right now, Intel's massive socket 3647 supports up to 28 cores on single cpu and socket.

That can run 28 cores, granted, with boosting disabled due to TDP limits.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I wish there were cheaper options for server based Ryzen boards. I'd love to move to something with more cores and ECC with an IPMI.

Still, my Haswell i5 unraid box performs like a champ.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

I wish there were cheaper options for server based Ryzen boards. I'd love to move to something with more cores and ECC with an IPMI.

Still, my Haswell i5 unraid box performs like a champ.

Yeah their TDP is nice especially.

My unraid is on an old i5-2500k and it’s fine though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah, I really want an Epyc or Ryzen based server, but the price of 6 year old Opterons is far below that right now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

There are some really truly insane single board single socket CPUs out there right now, Intel's massive socket 3647 supports up to 28 cores on single cpu and socket.

That can run 28 cores, granted, with boosting disabled due to TDP limits.

The heatsink would be the biggest single component in that box, good lord.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

The heatsink would be the biggest single component in that box, good lord.

You can get some pretty flat 1U hsfs for those puppies, Dynatron B9 for example.

28 cores cranking I don’t know how well that would do though :haw:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
10tb Easystores down to $160 again.

Get ya' shuck on.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-10tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/6278208.p?skuId=6278208

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, I really want an Epyc or Ryzen based server, but the price of 6 year old Opterons is far below that right now.

This thing was down to $250 for a little while. I'm tossing around the idea of building a 1u compute node with this and a 3700x.

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X470D4U#Specifications

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Good grief, our kids (yes, were that old) are going to have all the gaming server resources we craved as teenagers.

Of course these days the servers are run by the developers/publishers, usually not available for selfhosting and shut down after a few years. Makes me feel old to say "well I never had that problem with the Quake server... That I didn't have"

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

priznat posted:

Nice. No gotchas with recognizing the drives on a new system? As long as they are on a sata controller supported by the OS they should be fine?

As long as Unraid sees the same GUIDs, it'll be just fine. I'd recommend turning off auto-start array before you shut down the build before changing hardware just to make sure it recognized everything properly before booting it up

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Has anybody tried these things in an N54L? I've heard of problems with some older hosts not being able to get these drives to power on.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Kreeblah posted:

Has anybody tried these things in an N54L? I've heard of problems with some older hosts not being able to get these drives to power on.

Tape over the 3.3v pin. I'm just going to take a wild guess and guess it's that... 3.3v was never actually used by drives, so at some point it was decided to use as it as a "turn drive off" signal

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

That's a typical problem. They revised the SATA power delivery in the specs, so newer drives have that 3.3 V line remapped like Kitty mentioned to use as a power/reset switch (for remote power cycling of drives in data centers.) This means older PSUs still deliver a current over the 3.3 V line, which keeps the drive in the "off" state. The drives and PSUs are both techincally "fine," they're just incompatible because they're built to different versions of the SATA spec.

FYI 3.5" drives use 12 V for the main spindle motor and 5 V for the electronics and everything else, while 2.5" drives just use 5 V. That's why you can power 2.5" drives in an external enclosure off a single USB connection (which has provided 5 V since the original version) but 3.5" drives need an external power supply for 12 V. 3.3 V isn't used for drives nowadays, it's mainly for things like RAM, some external flash cards (remember dual-voltage flash media?) etc.

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 1, 2019

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Atomizer posted:

That's a typical problem. They revised the SATA power delivery in the specs, so newer drives have that 3.3 V line remapped like Kitty mentioned to use as a power/reset switch (for remote power cycling of drives in data centers.) This means older PSUs still deliver a current over the 3.3 V line, which keeps the drive in the "off" state. The drives and PSUs are both techincally "fine," they're just incompatible because they're built to different versions of the SATA spec.

FYI 3.5" drives use 12 V for the main spindle motor and 5 V for the electronics and everything else, while 2.5" drives just use 5 V. That's why you can power 2.5" drives in an external enclosure off a single USB connection (which has provided 5 V since the original version) but 3.5" drives need an external power supply for 12 V. 3.3 V isn't used for drives nowadays, it's mainly for things like RAM, some external flash cards (remember dual-voltage flash media?) etc.

The dumbdumbs who made that modification to SATA, rather than using pull low for remote reboot, they used pull high and figured "well it's only designed for enterprise drives so it shouldn't be an issue". Since part of the economies of scale of the shucks is that they use more enterprise targeted drives, you end up with the issue of some drives constantly rebooting.

Also if you're going to just tape over the 3.3v pins, use kapton tape, not electrical tape or masking tape or scotch tape.

Raymond T. Racing fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 3, 2019

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Oh, that doesn't sound too bad, then. I'm sure I could cut some tape and get it stuck on there pretty easily.

Now I need to decide whether I want to buy five of these things right now to upgrade my storage.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Is Backblaze still the recommended solution for a home NAS? I've got a pretty small FreeNAS server at my parent's house (3x3TB) and I think the last step to have data be as safe as it can get is an off-site backup. It doesn't see a lot of daily activity, so once the initial datadump is done there wouldn't be too much traffic from new/updating files, as long as it has versioning I think that's all I'd need.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
Never had a NAS before but I've decided now's the time to build one. It's for home use and data hoarding. Optionally interested in media streaming.
I'm trying to plan it out and I need help. Here's my thoughts so far:

- DrivePool? unRAID? ZFS?? RAID 1+6??? I definitely don't feel like I need stripping at least, but more than a JBOD.
- I got old data on hard drives in a closet. There's probably a smart way to migrate data from those old drives to the new system
- After a day of looking through parts I have at least decided the case will be a Node 804...
- I guess I don't need a motherboard with a lot of SATA ports if I buy a SATA card
- What are you actually supposed to look for in a motherboard at all? Or a CPU? WIll everything work out if I just grab a cheap Supermicro board?
- What do UP/DP/MP mean regarding Xeon?
- Worried about power outages. What UPSs do people use?
- Separately looking into migrating Crashplan online backups to the NAS, or migrating to Backblaze b2.
- How much RAM do I even need

Any help would be appreciated.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I played the "build your own file server from scratch" game in 2012 and I own a Synology unit now (DS418) and wish I had done something similar back in 2012

I use an amazon basics UPS $54 "AmazonBasics Standby UPS 600VA 360W " but I live in a big city and I don't think the power has gone out here for more than two hours, no issues so far. I think most 4 drive synology units pull 35 watts give or take which is not a lot, similar to a halo phone in fast charge mode.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
I definitely am considering if I should get a prebuilt. Though unless I'm mistaken Synology's NASes can only use SHR and RAIDs 0,1,5,6. The idea of losing an entire array if enough drives fail bothers me a lot.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

sockpuppetclock posted:

I definitely am considering if I should get a prebuilt. Though unless I'm mistaken Synology's NASes can only use SHR and RAIDs 0,1,5,6. The idea of losing an entire array if enough drives fail bothers me a lot.

They can also do RAID 10, JBOD, and basic formating.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Hadlock posted:

I played the "build your own file server from scratch" game in 2012 and I own a Synology unit now (DS418) and wish I had done something similar back in 2012

Similar situation here. I had Proliant N40L and switched to a Synology NAS, getting a lot more mileage out of the nas than I ever did the server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

sockpuppetclock posted:

The idea of losing an entire array if enough drives fail bothers me a lot.

Synology has an official Amazon glacier backup feature, I'm sure backblaze and crashplan have their own maintained plugins. I bought all my drives at different times and vendors so multiple failures in one go is pretty small, plus nightly online backups let me sleep well at night so long as my credit card doesn't expire. It's like $4.00/mo

Actually my old file server, I purposely overbuilt it to make it into a "home vm lab" back when private virtual servers were $20/mo or more and I wanted to teach myself Ms server admin skills for reasons and had like six vms running full time. This was back at the dawn of the AWS era when cloud was just getting really popular, so having that much spare compute power on hand isn't terribly useful anymore

Oh right, Synology units can run any docker container now, which makes handing off any weird always-on server tasks to it, pretty easy.