Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GigaPeon posted:

Remember to stick around for Philippe and the Transfer Station.

It’s amazing how often clicking a link to one Achewood strip has sent me on an afternoon of reading the archives. The one-offs always leave me wanting another until I hit an arc and a lot of the arcs pre-2010 are impossible to stop reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I posit that "mittelschmerz-inducing clyster" in on par with "pot roast in estrus"

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
(speaking of clicking on a link someone posted and then reading several years' worth of strips)

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

GigaPeon posted:

Remember to stick around for Philippe and the Transfer Station.

Recently got to tell my kids about how Airwolf existed.

(also accidentally ruined my wife for the phrase "WHAT'S THE BEST THING YOU GOT", which she thought I had come up with on my own.)

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Larry Cum Free posted:

I want to drunk cook with Ray and Teodor. I would gently caress with that whole spread and I get the logic behind cooking oil, lavender and rosemary in the espresso machine.

it would kind of infuse the cooking oil with the seasonings as it passed through them like water going through coffee grounds?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

so how has the new stuff been? i have not shelled out for the patreon yet.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

so how has the new stuff been? i have not shelled out for the patreon yet.

Absolutely fantastic. It’s nice to see that Onstad can still write without “using vodka to move [his] pen” as he said. The characters voices feel natural compared to 2016 when things felt weird and unnatural and overly flowery.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

We have not gotten another GOF, but that may be the uttermost peak; we have, however, had plenty of "good times." I think if these comics were on the website instead of Patreon people would have just thought "hey! he's back in form!"

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

robot roll call posted:

it would kind of infuse the cooking oil with the seasonings as it passed through them like water going through coffee grounds?

I have no idea if it actually would but I get being drunk and inspired and thinking that would be the case.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Necronomicon posted:

Absolutely fantastic. It’s nice to see that Onstad can still write without “using vodka to move [his] pen” as he said. The characters voices feel natural compared to 2016 when things felt weird and unnatural and overly flowery.

The character voices were only occasionally hosed in the 2016 run, it was the 2013-14 stuff that was loving atrocious.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I'll eat all the linoleum hardener you want if I get to feel like Sophia 3rd, hell yeah.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 2, 2024

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
OK nevermind, this is Teodor's rock-bottom

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I feel like Teodor maybe isn't ever going to see that paycheck.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
drat, Teodor :smith:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Welcome to the T Gets Rehab arc

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Jesus christ, that’s grim. That is some rock bottom poo poo.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

ullerrm posted:

this arc ended in Teodor chilling in a monastery for a bit figuring poo poo out and getting traction.

Catching up on the thread, this was darkly humorous given today's strip.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

So we were also living his hallucinations or am I just dumb?

Feels like the hell-version end of Super Mario 2.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Scags McDouglas posted:

So we were also living his hallucinations or am I just dumb?

Feels like the hell-version end of Super Mario 2.

No I think Ray has such significant issues with Tina that he a. correctly surmises that there's no way she has a real agency but b. doesn't realize that she's lying about it

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I don't think Teodor was hallucinating up until falling and bashing his head. The Tina stuff was real, she is pretty clearly working out of an abandoned advertising office if you look back. The Elon stuff was dissociative but brought on by stress and the head trauma he takes when he falls. Unfortunately this adds up to looking pretty bad to the outside observer.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I think some of it had to be real because there were scenes where it was just Tina. Tina was also probably overplaying the success and scope of her company and then Teodor's own megalomania ramped it up from there.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I read the Elon stuff as the head trauma version of Ray's six-asses-scented adventure on the streets of Berlin, with the caveat that that is the kind of shenanigan you might expect Ray to be involved in but not T

As an aside the internet delivered to me a png so finely calibrated to my tastes it's a wonder I ain't commission it. I give you David Thorpe Roasting Docevil's Wack rear end Shoes, as performed by Ray And Beef:

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

istewart posted:

Catching up on the thread, this was darkly humorous given today's strip.

I kinda didn't want to be right :P

My thinking is that the Tina stuff was definitely real. The Elon stuff might have been a post-concussion hallucination, but it'd be some good chuckles if an epilogue strip showed Teodor returning home and finding money in his bank account. (It'd explain why he's getting text messages again, and the Chekov's gun of "pay rent in 3 days or Lyle throws out your poo poo" hasn't been fired yet.)

Teodor is getting screwed by a well-meaning, rational Ray. For sure, he partly brought it on himself, but it doesn't make it any less of a screw job.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nessus posted:

We have not gotten another GOF, but that may be the uttermost peak; we have, however, had plenty of "good times." I think if these comics were on the website instead of Patreon people would have just thought "hey! he's back in form!"

I do hope he's not planning on keeping everything Patreon exclusive forever

Phy posted:

I read the Elon stuff as the head trauma version of Ray's six-asses-scented adventure on the streets of Berlin, with the caveat that that is the kind of shenanigan you might expect Ray to be involved in but not T

As an aside the internet delivered to me a png so finely calibrated to my tastes it's a wonder I ain't commission it. I give you David Thorpe Roasting Docevil's Wack rear end Shoes, as performed by Ray And Beef:

That is beautiful

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Phy posted:

jesus wept

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Phy posted:

Incredible.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Phy posted:

Onstad can retire again

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
To be clear, it's someone else's edit I found on twitter, but I couldn't pass up reposting it here

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

I do hope he's not planning on keeping everything Patreon exclusive forever

He's said a few times that he feels like posting the strips publicly would violate the terms of the patreon 'deal' with his subscribers, it is entirely possible that he might change his mind. Especially once he finds out how dogshit the patreon backlog reading experience is.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I feel like in the modern world of webcomics having a self-sustaining walled garden is probably a better bet than throwing your doors open to the wind and hoping people buy merch.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Android Blues posted:

I feel like in the modern world of webcomics having a self-sustaining walled garden is probably a better bet than throwing your doors open to the wind and hoping people buy merch.

Yea, I would genuinely keep subscribing in perpetuity even if he put everything on the public site just as a thank you for how much joy the strip has given me over the years, but I know that that in that I am a bit of an outlier.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

It would make sense if he started migrating stuff out in like, three years from when he got started. I would not feel Betrayed as a customer.

Releasing the Winnie the Pooh and Ramathusra Ron stuff would also validate that Yes, Achewood Is Actually Back to the man on the street. Pay a dollar to see more.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Strange Cares posted:

Especially once he finds out how dogshit the patreon backlog reading experience is.

This is a gonna be a big sticking point as the backlog grows and people start doing re-reads. Patreon is just not formatted as well as the Achewood main site for comics reading, even with all the tags to try to filter things.

I also wish Patreon had a way to gift subscriptions to other people but it's not currently officially supported and you have to do convoluted things like sending your recipient a prepaid debit card so they can buy it themselves instead.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Strange Cares posted:

Especially once he finds out how dogshit the patreon backlog reading experience is.

Yep. I love the Patreon strips but the site interface means I fundamentally cannot have that “whoops someone linked me a strip and I just read the whole GOF series by accident” experience which is a big part of why I love Achewood.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I'm listening to the Rude Tales of Magic Patreon, where they do behind the scenes discussion for their live play D&D podcast.

in one episode they talk a (very) little about a Great Outdoor Fight reference in one show and also how important Achewood is to most of the cast, since a lot of them are artists.

but mostly I wanted to complain about trying to navigate to older posts. the Patreon app is dogshit.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Patreon is one of those sites that I terribly wish had at least one viable competitor and also wasn’t being run like a startup with IPO ambitions

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
So many creative people’s livelihoods in the hands of the dude from loving pamplemoose

loving sucks man

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Empty Sandwich posted:

I'm listening to the Rude Tales of Magic Patreon, where they do behind the scenes discussion for their live play D&D podcast.

in one episode they talk a (very) little about a Great Outdoor Fight reference in one show and also how important Achewood is to most of the cast, since a lot of them are artists.

but mostly I wanted to complain about trying to navigate to older posts. the Patreon app is dogshit.

Do they maybe give you an RSS feed link? A lot of podcasts go that route so you can listen on whatever podcast app of your choice. I try to avoid the Patreon app as much as possible.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yep. I love the Patreon strips but the site interface means I fundamentally cannot have that “whoops someone linked me a strip and I just read the whole GOF series by accident” experience which is a big part of why I love Achewood.

Yeah I have been saving all the strips to a file folder to make reading the backlog something that doesn't blow.

trilobite terror posted:

So many creative people’s livelihoods in the hands of the dude from loving pamplemoose

loving sucks man

Also so that when the inevitable consequences of this occur it won't all go up in a big puff of smoke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

moot the hopple posted:

Do they maybe give you an RSS feed link? A lot of podcasts go that route so you can listen on whatever podcast app of your choice. I try to avoid the Patreon app as much as possible.

the regular podcast is free in all the usual places. I'll double check to see if there's a Patreon feed.

I've been holding off on subscribing to the new Achewood but this is a good reminder to do it sooner rather than later...