Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I like that the Japanese are the only ones to bother clearing right down to the road, whereas everyone else is like "gently caress it, we've carved through fifteen feet of this poo poo, the last inch is their own drat problem".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Its so dry too, I don't understand!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Because that spot in Japan gets 20 meters of snow regularly and so it is a tourist destination, hence the buses.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Chrysler_build_quality.jpg

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Eh to be fair, that's more "owner that ignored bad noises for a long time".

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Poor thing looks so drat tired.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BlackMK4 posted:

Jesus, I don't know how you guys live in areas with weather like that.

stump posted:

near Glenlivet (where the whisky comes from)

Worth it.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

ExplodingSims posted:

Reminds me of the Intrepid I had to fix a while back:

Owner knew it needed a ball joint, now it needs a CV axle, a brake hose, and an ABS sensor wire as well! :downsbravo:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Huge_Midget posted:

Yup. Substitute WI, IL, MI, IN, etc. for Minnesota. We're just as loving miserable as outsiders during the winter, but we just internalize it into anger and hatred and continue to revel in each-others misery.

Only reason to bitch about the snow in Iowa is because the idiots coming in on I-35 and I-80 don't know how to drive in it and turn the main arteries across the state into bumper cars every time it really snows. :/

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Ok, Buddy. There's got to be a pic from friggin Norway or something with walls of snow taller than that.

Well played, Sir.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

This is a decent gallery and breakdown of what happens after a "lightning strike" (in reality it probably had jumper cables hooked up backwards).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ausgezeichnet posted:

Ok, Buddy. There's got to be a pic from friggin Norway or something with walls of snow taller than that.

Well played, Sir.

I've seen some photos from the Coast Ranges of British Columbia that give it a run for its money, actually.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Hats off to the tech who posted that, he knows his poo poo when it comes to automotive electronics. Valid reasoning for every module replacement he did, understands how CAN bus works, etc.

I would have electronic repairs done on a vehicle by that guy anytime. Most mechanics? Hahah, no. It's not the "brain box", buddy, learn to diagnose stuff. (Like, for example, the second shop he mentions, which replaced the ECU and another module again for no reason.)

E: would not be surprised if a nearby lightning strike caused that, it doesn't always have to hit the vehicle in question, voltage gradients on the ground can be in the thousands of volts per meter range near a strike, and the magnetic fields are intense as well, which can induce large voltages in wiring harnesses. You can design to handle induced voltages and ESD pretty well but nothing will handle a direct strike really, except a very good faraday cage and incredibly tough hardware.

A backwards set of battery cables could do it too if they were lazy about module design, a good design will have back diodes to prevent this. I would expect that to just nuke all the MCUs though rather than destroying multiple CAN bus transceivers so I would lean towards nearby lightning strike.

kastein fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 6, 2015

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

ExplodingSims posted:

SIK STANCE BRO! :butt:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

ExplodingSims posted:

So happy i finally got around to doing my ball joint the other day to avoid exactly this.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

some texas redneck posted:

This is a decent gallery and breakdown of what happens after a "lightning strike" (in reality it probably had jumper cables hooked up backwards).

I read that via reddit, and jeez. I cannot believe he had someone fix all that. He's got to have paid more to fix that thing than he paid for it at auction at this point.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'd probably jam it in the back of the yard and set up a row52 search notification for donor vehicles, then wait until one showed up and get all matched, preprogrammed modules for like $400 total out of it, then update everything at once.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

nitrogen posted:

I read that via reddit, and jeez. I cannot believe he had someone fix all that. He's got to have paid more to fix that thing than he paid for it at auction at this point.

The technician said it would have been much cheaper to just replace every computer module, including the window module, from the outset with brand new pieces, as with his diagnostic hourly costs, plus the weeks in-between, his final bill was something like $4500.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

some texas redneck posted:

Eh to be fair, that's more "owner that ignored bad noises for a long time".

Maybe so, but I'd like to imagine it got parked there and then just fell apart, Bluesmobile style.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

ExplodingSims posted:

Maybe so, but I'd like to imagine it got parked there and then just fell apart, Bluesmobile style.

It has to have happened that way. How else would it have ended up in the parking space?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

ExplodingSims posted:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Nearly had a horrible mechanic failure. I'm swapping my summer tires onto the car. Because my garage is narrow, I did the two on the driver's side, backed the car out, and turned it around for the passenger side. I took a break for dinner and came back without the key for the wheel "locks". Turned out I left on one of the wheels and it was laying out in the street. Oops! Good thing no one drove over it and I just backed up and back in.

On the plus side, I tightened my wheels on with a torque wrench and they are coming off after a season of snow with moderate force.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Full story here.

Can't find any followups on what caused the failure after some cursory searching.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Can't find any followups on what caused the failure after some cursory searching.

I'm going with Don Quixote on this one.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Rocinante :argh:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tommychu posted:

I'm going with Don Quixote on this one.

No no, see, the man is supposed to tilt, not the windmill.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Holy gently caress.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I wouldn't have expected those to go full banana like that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

I wouldn't have expected those to go full banana like that.

The little plastic tabs you're supposed to aim the straw at probably weren't cut all the way through, it happens. Just get another straw and open the hole up with a finger first.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

ExplodingSims posted:

Saw this exact scene on my way to work the other day except on the road 20 ft after a set of RR tracks with a similar vintage Sebring hardtop.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Full story here.

Wind speeds over 25m/s. Dude who died pitched all three blades to full run position then either the brake failed or was released. With no load on the generator the turbine turned into a helicopter for a split second as the rotor over sped. There was a brief hop as the nacelle tried to lift then the tower buckled.

The injured party was near the top on the ladder. Rode it down to the ground. There's a memorial where W1 was. Depressing spot.

Don Baylor
Oct 24, 2005

I lived in Valdez AK, I got nothing. That is Boss.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's because in Alaska when the snow gets that deep, they're smart enough to just leave it be until breakup.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Terminus Est posted:

Wind speeds over 25m/s. Dude who died pitched all three blades to full run position then either the brake failed or was released. With no load on the generator the turbine turned into a helicopter for a split second as the rotor over sped. There was a brief hop as the nacelle tried to lift then the tower buckled.

The injured party was near the top on the ladder. Rode it down to the ground. There's a memorial where W1 was. Depressing spot.

Was pitching the blades to full run part of the inspection? Are there control systems that prevent this now? Or is it purely a over ride situation?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Don Baylor posted:

I lived in Valdez AK, I got nothing. That is Boss.

I was in valdez for three weeks last year in the national guard for a tsunami prep drill (we set up a hospital in the school). The picture is what I felt like driving around there.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

the spyder posted:

Was pitching the blades to full run part of the inspection? Are there control systems that prevent this now? Or is it purely a over ride situation?

Yeah, you can't do that anymore. The software does not allow it. Never was a normal part of an inspection either.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
Old Japanese Best Motoring/Option Video/etc. videos are a treasure trove of ridiculous poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKJHkm_Piv0

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Gearbox failure from work.

other dude stripped the drain...slowly drained itself till boom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

cursedshitbox posted:

Gearbox failure from work.

other dude stripped the drain...slowly drained itself till boom

About how much of your day is spent fixing problems caused by Methy McWrench, would you say?