Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Hell if I know which thread this would be best suited for, but with all the Persona 5 talk here it seemed like as good of a place as I'm going to find. The inevitable Mr. Bean/Persona 5 mashup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSWqNeEXMNg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Hell if I know which thread this would be best suited for, but with all the Persona 5 talk here it seemed like as good of a place as I'm going to find. The inevitable Mr. Bean/Persona 5 mashup:

What trash is this?

They clearly should've used the exam music at the start! :colbert:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Oh man oh man they included the video file for the critical hit effect :allears: I'm going to commit some crimes with this

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started messing with another one of the games I got the other day, Tron Evolution - good fun so far, very fluid motion when you know where you need to be, and when you manage to do well in fights it's fairly satisfying although it is hard to do well (I haven't got the hang of countering yet, I'm thinking that it may have to do with being locked on to the enemy you are trying to counter or it won't work). Also some of the cutscene direction works well with the idea that you have no face (being an Enforcer it's just a blank helmet), like when you mean Zues the Bartender (Yes it's spelled that way in game) and he mistrusts you - it keeps framing on the reflection of his face in the blank space where your's should be accentuating just how alien you look compared to the other characters - similarly, the villain, a sentient virus who used to be one of the underclass, has no face with a sickly yellow light highlighting him - helps him seem mysterious and inhuman, a Good Villain.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Observer is a super pretty cyberpunk detective game and I love that it's so open about its influences that they just went ahead and hired Rutger Hauer (Roy Batty from Blade Runner) to voice and provide the likeness of the main character. Also that the opening case is more or less a recreation of the crime scene of the opening case in Snatcher.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Evolution was actually a set-up for movie Legacy.
They tried the whole expanded media universe thing but flopped on it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Croccers posted:

Evolution was actually a set-up for movie Legacy.
They tried the whole expanded media universe thing but flopped on it.

The animated series, Tron Uprising, was pretty cool at least.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Agreed that the tv show wasn't bad. I was gifted the game years ago by my little sis, I didn't like that all of the wall run locations were just painted on the walls. Made the game production feel cheap. Don't think I ever beat it

Tron 2.0 also has a badass moment where you're outrunning a hard drive being formatted and the world is disintigrating behind you, and another one where you jump into a calculator or something equivalent and the electronic world is even more lo-fi

I just want more Tron

forest spirit has a new favorite as of 16:27 on Dec 29, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Penpal posted:

Agreed that the tv show wasn't bad. I was gifted the game years ago by my little sis, I didn't like that all of the wall run locations were just painted on the walls. Made the game production feel cheap. Don't think I ever beat it

Tron 2.0 also has a badass moment where you're outrunning a hard drive being formatted and the world is disintigrating behind you, and another one where you jump into a calculator or something equivalent and the electronic world is even more lo-fi

I just want more Tron

The TV show died because Disney released it on Disney XD where nobody could actually watch it or be aware that it existed. Sadly now that they own Marvel and Star Wars they're no longer so desperate for IPs that appeal to boys that they need to take weird risks like Tron anymore.

Ah well, at least we always have Darwinia on PC.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I won a copy of Tron Evolution from Joystiq. I still have the soundtrack on vinyl that came with it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I originally bought Tron Legacy on Blu-Ray largely for the included copy of OG Tron, but being the only 3D Blu-Ray I own it let me try out the PSVR's 3D support. Best Daft Punk music video ever.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Penpal posted:

I just want more Tron

I will forever love Tron 2.0 for having the weapons and upgrades have three levels of increasing quality and effectiveness: alpha, beta, and gold.

And also when one of your allies gets caught in the above-mentioned hard drive formatting and dies, and later she's back in action only she doesn't remember you, and another of your allies is all like "what? She's literally a computer program, we just restored her from backup."

Also it had an extremely saddening moment when the dude who you thought was the bad guy until then dies, and you have to fish through his PDA for a login/password combination (or maybe an IP address? I forget) and you also find the e-mails he exchanged with his mom :smith:

Also when you have to set up an exception in a firewall to allow your ally to get to the network you're on, and it involves physically rotating a huge ring so a signal can get through.

I just love Tron 2.0, ok?

Tron 2.0 is a better Tron sequel than Tron Legacy fight me

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Tron Evolution's second level was pretty fun, the tank was an amusing change of pace and I've finally worked out how to use my other discs. Amusingly, during the fight at the Solar Sailor station the boss totally glitched out- after throwing a few bombs and being intimidating I guess he got bored because he just stood there in the corner of the glass portion of the platform, letting me beat on him until he died. Weird. Looking forward to climbing to the top of the second city.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Mikl posted:

I will forever love Tron 2.0 for having the weapons and upgrades have three levels of increasing quality and effectiveness: alpha, beta, and gold.

And also when one of your allies gets caught in the above-mentioned hard drive formatting and dies, and later she's back in action only she doesn't remember you, and another of your allies is all like "what? She's literally a computer program, we just restored her from backup."

Also it had an extremely saddening moment when the dude who you thought was the bad guy until then dies, and you have to fish through his PDA for a login/password combination (or maybe an IP address? I forget) and you also find the e-mails he exchanged with his mom :smith:

Also when you have to set up an exception in a firewall to allow your ally to get to the network you're on, and it involves physically rotating a huge ring so a signal can get through.

I love it, too. I love it, too. I wish it was considered canon.
You had a boss fight with someone called "The Kernel" for Christ's sake. It was beautiful.
And the better your upgrades were, the less memory (inventory space) they used, because the code was refined.

The Killer App gameboy advance game was good, as well. The firewall minigame was fun on its own.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Mikl posted:

Tron 2.0 is one of my GOTY, every year. They recently released a patch on steam that made it work again. I fired it up with the widescreen mod and its still amazing. Its wonderful what good art direction (and big blocky textures) will do to a game looking good 15 years later.

Also, the way that every level had a different "memory substructure" which forced you to change up your programs was awesome. So many games fall into a groove of "this is my setup and I never change it". I mean, I still do that with Tron 2.0 (are there other weapons other than the disc? I never saw any) but it's nice to be forced to walk around with no armor for a level.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
It's a shame that so much of Tron 2.0 was jumping puzzles over bottomless chasms and that the upgrade system encouraged you blindly scaling the huge pieces of abstract geometry because the parts that weren't that were really good for the time.

It also had a cool lo-fi effect where occasionally when you were doing things in the game lines of fake computer code would flash on screen contextualizing your actions as, say, corrupting a security system or opening a fire wall.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tron 2.0 also had that level where you were being chased by a malicious program and the way you defeat it was by screwing up the system you were on so that the program could no longer run on it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I still can't believe that there was a Tron level in Kingdom Hearts 2.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I feel like Tron 2.0 really captured the "Civilization inside a computer" thing tron was going for. The amount of nerdy in-jokes was amazing. Like, hacking into a PDA that had a tiny amount of system memory so you couldn't load many of your upgrades.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Lechtansi posted:

I feel like Tron 2.0 really captured the "Civilization inside a computer" thing tron was going for. The amount of nerdy in-jokes was amazing. Like, hacking into a PDA that had a tiny amount of system memory so you couldn't load many of your upgrades.

And the random memory hogs named after in honor of real memory hogs like calling one exloder.exe. I can't remember the others. I think there was an outlook one, too.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Wolfenstein II has so many neat little touches in it, but there's one bit near the end of the Venus stage in particular. It sounds like the ambient music has a spooky synthesizer line going through it that's very reminiscent of 60's B-movies, and quite apropos considering the surroundings, but if you stealth kill your way around a bit you can enter someone's personal quarters, where you see that it's actually a commander playing the Theremin, and the synth line stops when you kill him.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Instead of XP and leveling up, you find build points to increase your version number. :3:

Tron 2.0 owns. Monolith owns.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
You did it. You got me to buy Tron 2.0 on Steam. I still have my old CDs but they stopped working for me after I went from Windows 7 to 10. It's 66% off right now so it is only $3.39.

Unfortunately, I can't get the widescreen fixes to work. I've installed the unofficial patch and the killer app mod, but, if I pick a resolution that isn't 4:3, the game always reverts back to 640x480. This is on a laptop running 1920X1080 and capable of doing 3840X2160.
I've tried all the recommended fixes. I wonder if it is just a driver issue.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'll probably get Tron 2.0 at some point because it sounds pretty cool. Still having a good time with the one I already have though, the bomb disk is really satisfying when taking out crowds or knocking people of rooftops.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Every time you find a new gadget or weapon in the Evil Within 2, it can be seen dangling off Sebastian's belt or harness from that point on. It's wonderful. :allears:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm at the penultimate chapter in Tron: Evolution, and so far the most interesting part of the game was when your fighting in the GameGrid - you are dropped into increasingly complex arenas fighting more and more enemies, but the interesting part is that while your stuck there, fighting uselessly and just wasting time until the guy your there to save rescues you back, Clu is giving a speech riling up the Basics (programs that are in the system on purpose) and blaming the virus on ISOs (programs that evolved beyond their roles and serve no discrete purpose, practically Users in flexibility) as a whole, basically (:v:) calling for genocide. As you take out a wave, it cuts to Clu giving his speech to the increasingly bloodthirsty (codethirsty?) crowd as they buy his lies and agree to pay for the insurance on them too. (upselling joke) It was a cool part.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've beaten Tron Evolution, it was alright. The final boss was simple but pretty fun overall despite that, and I like the way the game does it's difficulty - the enemies don't get much harder, mostly more of the trickier ones start appearing, it's the arena's that do all the tricks - you recover health by wallrunning up energy stripes on the wall that take a bit to recharge, and recover energy for special moves by flipping off little energy canisters or energised computer consoles, and the layout of those can be tricky - late in the game they start being a little up off the arena floor, or just a little bit away from the platform, making you need to pay attention as you may run off the edge of the arena trying to heal if you panic too much, and sometimes if you flip off a console carelessly you go careening right to the edge and almost fall, which is genuinely tense. In an otherwise generic beat-em-up that was a neat twist.

Also the plot does a good job feeling like you've done something - certainly you don't do anything against Clu and he manages to wipe out a large number of ISOs, but you at least get to destroy his flagship and the virus person, so it feels like something is accomplished.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Okami HD added cutscene skip. Game can now be recommended to other people in all its bizzare PS1 zelda with PS2 power aesthetics.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Okami beat Zelda for me because it had scope. Not one town but many, not one hyrule field but at least six of them. The world felt so huge and plot kept changing since it didn't rely on collecting X number of mcguffins. Compared to Amaterasu, Link never seemed to leave home.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Okami beat Zelda for me because it had scope. Not one town but many, not one hyrule field but at least six of them. The world felt so huge and plot kept changing since it didn't rely on collecting X number of mcguffins. Compared to Amaterasu, Link never seemed to leave home.

Each field in Okami were big and only had like one or two major optional things to do in them a piece but unlike the big loving empty field of Twilight Princess or the sky in Skyward Sword they were just the right size for you to go "Oh, this is pretty" when you blasted through it leaving flowers behind you while you zoomed to the other side on your way to the next zone. By the time it started getting boring you got quick travel and never had to really worry about it again. Each of the fields also managed to have a unique atmosphere and feeling to them. I don't remember all the poo poo about Okami's dungeons but I remember all the nice looking open areas pretty well because I thought they looked great and were all built around individual little settings and themed that made each one stand out.

Like, people compare Okami to Zelda all the time. But honestly, if you stripped out the weird hitting enemies with swords combat the game wouldn't really be harmed in any way provided they managed to work the brush powers to be more combat friendly. The vast majority of fun in the game came from exploring the world and using your brush to interact with it, every time you had to actually engage with the combat it feels more like that had been an afterthought.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
The fun part in Zelda was never hitting stuff with your sword, unless it was pieces of the environment.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Tron 2.0 sounded cool to me years ago, and it still sounds cool to me now. I've never really been into first-person shooters (and I've never beaten any FPS, unless Portal counts), but is there a chance I might still enjoy it? I actually kind of like first-person platforming, but I hate games where you have to constantly quicksave to progress.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 06:40 on Dec 31, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Unfortunately from what I remember the difficulty curve of Tron 2.0 gets pretty rough. Maybe not insurmountable on Easy, but it's still very much a shooter of its time.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

John Murdoch posted:

Unfortunately from what I remember the difficulty curve of Tron 2.0 gets pretty rough. Maybe not insurmountable on Easy, but it's still very much a shooter of its time.

Use cheat codes to boost energy or health as needed but earn the weapons and other code upgrades naturally. That's how I played and it was challenging and fun without being impossible.

https://www.gamespot.com/tron-2-0/cheats/

Or you can go God Mode with all weapons and all upgrades and just streamroll everything.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Rollersnake posted:

Tron 2.0 sounded cool to me years ago, and it still sounds cool to me now. I've never really been into first-person shooters (and I've never beaten any FPS, unless Portal counts), but is there a chance I might still enjoy it? I actually kind of like first-person platforming, but I hate games where you have to constantly quicksave to progress.

It's definitely an artifact of its time. You will wear out your quick save with it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've started playing Ape Escape 2, I like the Monkey 5. They're fun characters and Blue Monkey was a fun boss. Also the collectibles are all pretty charming and I like that the reason to collect them all is to complete a jigsaw that depicts one of the monkeys. :3:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
In Persona 5, during the subplot where Makoto is trying to investigate you, she'll openly chase you around and suddenly stop within about ten feet of you, pretending to read a book. If you talk to her she's just like "Woah what a weird coincidence hey while you're here have you been doing any crimes or anything"

It makes it funnier because while she's 'incognito', the big blinking icon for NPCs you can talk to is hovering above her head :haw:

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Also in Persona 5, the boss design for (late game spoilers) True Masayoshi Samael Shido is literally just Senator Armstrong from Metal Gear Rising complete with unique music with lyrics and that is simply the best thing. :suspense:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Danaru posted:

In Persona 5, during the subplot where Makoto is trying to investigate you, she'll openly chase you around and suddenly stop within about ten feet of you, pretending to read a book. If you talk to her she's just like "Woah what a weird coincidence hey while you're here have you been doing any crimes or anything"

It makes it funnier because while she's 'incognito', the big blinking icon for NPCs you can talk to is hovering above her head :haw:

What I find best about this is that it goes beyond the school where she's most recognisable. You can find her in most of the city hub areas too.

Another P5 bit I love. The silhouette loading screens when you're in the city randomly start showing party members and s-link characters you know as you progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jetamo posted:

Also in Persona 5, the boss design for (late game spoilers) True Masayoshi Samael Shido is literally just Senator Armstrong from Metal Gear Rising complete with unique music with lyrics and that is simply the best thing. :suspense:

Rivers in the Desert is my favourite track in the game :rock:. It also gets played (MAJOR endgame spoilers) in the battle against the Holy Grail too.