Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

MaRo posted:

A big part of trying to figure out the story had to do with figuring out how to undo some of what had happened in Avacyn Restored. We needed things to get worse again. Hmm, what if almost everyone, including the protectors of the world, started going mad?

Pretty sure I posted this exact line of thought when the set first got revealed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I actually think Tireless Tracker is better. It grinds out value and probably demands an answer at some point.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

This red card seems like a Very Good Red Card

I'm feeling this might be a beast in an RG ramp shell. Since it gets better the more expensive your cards get (on average), and RG doesn't have much in the way of card draw, this guy could be fun. I agree that it's kind of crap in a burn or aggro deck, but the larger your average mana cost per card is (maybe as high as 3?), the better this guy gets. And being able to turn over a Desolation Twin or Kozilek and have them HAVE to let you draw it seems fun (if horribly brutal). And it helps to trigger Delirium. What's not to like :)

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Sin Prodder doesn't seem that amazing. It's Boggart Brute that maybe pings your opponent each upkeep.

Even if it's just a land, it at least goes to the graveyard and you get a second chance at drawing some action.

Death of Rats posted:

I'm feeling this might be a beast in an RG ramp shell. Since it gets better the more expensive your cards get (on average), and RG doesn't have much in the way of card draw, this guy could be fun. I agree that it's kind of crap in a burn or aggro deck, but the larger your average mana cost per card is (maybe as high as 3?), the better this guy gets. And being able to turn over a Desolation Twin or Kozilek and have them HAVE to let you draw it seems fun (if horribly brutal). And it helps to trigger Delirium. What's not to like :)

They don't have to let you draw it, they can just say "sure, take 10 and kill you next turn". Also midrange bodies that die to removal don't really fit into the gameplan of ramp decks.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I actually think Tireless Tracker is better. It grinds out value and probably demands an answer at some point.

This is really dumb but if you play that turn 3 into turn 4 Scapeshift cracking a fetch beforehand you can end up with 10 cluestones and you get to crack 2 of them.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Landfall gets a lot worse without fetch lands and how many lands drop in an average standard game... 6? 7? He also doesn't have any evasion or any other ability but the +1+1. Doesn't seem all that powerful to me.

I am not all that sold on Sin prodder at first look either, but he at least has evasion. I don't know how well letting your opponent mill your lands and take damage to nullify your card advantage plays out in games. Seems to be not a terrible amount of upside to you except in a very aggressive deck that doesn't want a lot of land and extra damage is always an upside. Interesting card at the very least. It is just one of those cards that is really hard to judge accurately without playtesting it.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

little munchkin posted:

Even if it's just a land, it at least goes to the graveyard and you get a second chance at drawing some action.

Yeah, that's the rub. Do you want to pay 0 for your opponent to not draw a land? Not very often.

It's a punisher card, that's not quite as bad as others.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

En Fuego posted:

Yeah, that's the rub. Do you want to pay 0 for your opponent to not draw a land? Not very often.

It's a punisher card, that's not quite as bad as others.

Um they still get the draw step, giving them a free land is pointless

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sin Prodder doesn't seem that amazing. It's Boggart Brute that maybe pings your opponent each upkeep.

It's a punisher card of course it's not good.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I don't know that it's good or bad but it might be relevant if they print more burn spells or if it's in a delirium deck. Also kind of a wombo combo with goblin dark dwellers.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

He is basically reverse bob with 1 more cmc and evasion.

If anything I appreciate wotc trying to make cards like this to see how they play out.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Drawing 6 or 7 cards over the courser of a game still seems pretty decent. It depends on the speed of standard obviously but if you can crack the clue tokens it's kindof a must-answer threat that's already given you value the turn you've played it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Judging by this thread, I can't wait to reveal a land and have my opponent say, "You can have it."

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

So how do effects like Sin Prodder work in multiplayer? Not that I play any multiplayer, but does it just go clockwise and everyone gets one shot to say yes or no? Or? Because I can imagine a situation where no one wants you to get the card, but no one wants to be the first to step up either and that sounds annoying, so there's probably a way to deal with it already in place. Is there a Gatherer rules entry for a similar card I could look at?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

TheKingofSprings posted:

Seems like Eldrazi will be the most consistent deck going into the new standard.

How about the Mono Red deck that Kent Ketter was piloting over the weekend. It's losing Tomb of the Spirit Dragon and the lifegain from it but I don't think that's enough to kill the deck. gently caress $25.00 Chandra's though

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

BJPaskoff posted:

Judging by this thread, I can't wait to reveal a land and have my opponent say, "You can have it."

Is Molten Vortex rotating?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Reminder that the card either goes into your yard or your hand, then you draw.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

This red card seems like a Very Good Red Card

Punisher cards are USUALLY bad.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

odiv posted:

So how do effects like Sin Prodder work in multiplayer? Not that I play any multiplayer, but does it just go clockwise and everyone gets one shot to say yes or no? Or? Because I can imagine a situation where no one wants you to get the card, but no one wants to be the first to step up either and that sounds annoying, so there's probably a way to deal with it already in place. Is there a Gatherer rules entry for a similar card I could look at?

As far as I know it goes in priority order, one chance to respond per player, no changing your mind if the person after you decides to not respond.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Can we add "this punisher card is good" to our bingo card?

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Count Bleck posted:

Reminder that the card either goes into your yard or your hand, then you draw.

Yes the potential to draw two cards for the rest of the game (as long as Sin Prodder is alive) seems good. Plus its not legendary so you could theoretically stack up to 4 cards off the top.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Sin Prodder seems really fun and good value? IDK, punisher cards are usually disappointing but this is way better design space than the usual "discard a card at random" draw effect that red gets.

Also that vampire token discard engine would be worth running if you could use it more than once a turn, but alas.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
He's like a crappy bob if you're not in black, naya or rug midrange sort of decks.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

lazerwolf posted:

Yes the potential to draw two cards for the rest of the game (as long as Sin Prodder is alive) seems good. Plus its not legendary so you could theoretically stack up to 4 cards off the top.

The potential to watch every spell you need to win the game get milled away seems bad though.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

jassi007 posted:

The potential to watch every spell you need to win the game get milled away seems bad though.

But then you might be able to cast it for free via dark dwellers, all upside!

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Seems like it'd be fun in cube with alt-cast stuff like Shriekmaw.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

jassi007 posted:

It also lets you filter past useless lands to draw the spell you need to win the game, by that logic

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

dragon enthusiast posted:

It also lets you filter past useless lands to draw the spell you need to win the game, by that logic

you can't apply logic to feel bads, that just makes people feel bad

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

jassi007 posted:

Milling doesn't actually change the odds of whether you draw a certain card.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

dragon enthusiast posted:

That is an advantage, if the card revealed is a land, whether they let you draw it or mill it, assuming you don't need the land, then you are up a card. And sure, sometimes they'll be in a scenario where either taking the damage or allowing you to have the card are both bad for them, punisher cards aren't ALWAYS bad and nobody says they are. The issue is when your opponent isn't in a lose/lose scenario you don't get any advantage. In fact you are often at a disadvantage because you could have put some other card in your deck that didn't allow your opponent to chose whats worse for you.

little munchkin posted:

Correct, but giving your opponent control of what you draw, even for 1/2 draws, is certainly not good for you. If the revealed card is an out you need, you are in trouble unless the damage it would deal can kill them. This card is only good if you are ahead and it doesn't matter what is revealed or what choice they make.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 21, 2016

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

little munchkin posted:

SUUURE buddy, I bet you don't think fetching to thin your deck is relevant either.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-preview/basic-lands-shadows-over-innistrad-2016-03-21

I am sure whatever reason they give for not wanting to do full art lands every set is still as silly today as it was for all the sets in between each zendikar release. Maybe it costs more ink or something. Still seems to me that we get some really good art for some lands every set and it should get more real-estate.

little munchkin posted:

Standard milling, no. A conditional mill like this one? Probably slightly.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 21, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Cactrot posted:

SUUURE buddy, I bet you don't think fetching to thin your deck is relevant either.
Fetching to thin does actually change the odds in a way that milling does not, although it's so minor it's unlikely to be worth 1 life in most cases

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

jassi007 posted:

Correct, but giving your opponent of what you draw is certainly not good for you.

Your opponent has no control over what you draw. You're drawing one card per turn, just like you would normally. There's another card that you may or may not draw, but the ability doesn't change the odds that that your guaranteed draw for the turn is the card you want. Statistically the ability is pure upside.

Sickening posted:

Please explain, like in a mathematical sense, how this would work.

The only difference between this and standard milling is that sometimes the milled card will go to your hand. How would that make you less likely to have certain card go to your hand?

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 21, 2016

General Wishy
May 8, 2007

Sickening posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-preview/basic-lands-shadows-over-innistrad-2016-03-21

I am sure whatever reason they give for not wanting to do full art lands every set is still as silly today as it was for all the sets in between each zendikar release. Maybe it costs more ink or something. Still seems to me that we get some really good art for some lands every set and it should get more real-estate.

The first Zendikar set got full arts because it was a lands matter set. The second was just because people expected them.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cactrot posted:

But then you might be able to cast it for free via dark dwellers, all upside!

:captainpop:

I want to run this Devil, that 5/5 Wolf with the 1R pitch a card deal damage to creature, Dark Dwellers, and Fiery Tempers in some Big Red Shell.

I need this in my life.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 21, 2016

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Sickening posted:

The top card of your deck is leaving your deck either way; your opponent just chooses which non-deck place it gets sent. You will always draw the second card from the top of your deck.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The top card of your deck is leaving your deck either way; your opponent just chooses which non-deck place it gets sent. You will always draw the second card from the top of your deck.

This, basically.

It's also a 3/2 with menace which isn't irrelevant. It's a Red Bob if I ever saw one.

So, have we heard anything about these Echoes of Innistrad? They mentioned it a while ago and I haven't seen anything about what it is.

deftest
May 7, 2011

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

As far as I know it goes in priority order, one chance to respond per player, no changing your mind if the person after you decides to not respond.

priority order is technically how these interactions are handled.

In actual practice, however- the players who stand to lose from the effect/spell being cast all confer with one another going "oh no, can't you afford to take the life loss? Please? I'll do you a solid for the next few turns" while the player controlling the effect/spell goes "hey! no canoodling, in priority order, player to my left, will you pay?"

ps: All hail Rob, the red bob!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

This, basically.

It's also a 3/2 with menace which isn't irrelevant. It's a Red Bob if I ever saw one.

So, have we heard anything about these Echoes of Innistrad? They mentioned it a while ago and I haven't seen anything about what it is.

I would have figured that if this set was going to have expeditions/echos we would have heard about it by now. Weren't expeditions one of the first things spoiled for each of the previous sets?

• Locked thread