Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ashcans posted:

I have to admit, I admire the broker who takes a look at this and says 'yea, I can sell that to someone':

BWM: Spending money on a collapsing cliff face that you can't actually access or even build on.

-Great view
-Verdant
-Elevated
-Secluded spot--escape from the hustle and bustle
-Excellent location near the heart of the city
-Zoned for new construction!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Excellent drainage

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Nocheez posted:

Everyone hated muslims for a while and wanted to be a minister?

I prefer to think that all religions were using religious degrees as a convenient cover to train fundamentalist warriors in preparation for the bloodletting of the End of Days.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Ashcans posted:

I have to admit, I admire the broker who takes a look at this and says 'yea, I can sell that to someone':

BWM: Spending money on a collapsing cliff face that you can't actually access or even build on.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Ashcans posted:

GWM: Buying that, fencing it off, and charging $20/hr for tech hipsters to mountain climb in the City.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

19 o'clock posted:

"What do you mean substance over form?"

This poo poo is so loving dumb. I had a teammate who used to explain to me that he can deduct every and all costs of his day to day life (going to the bar, gassing up, paying rent, eating out) on account of the fact that "If I don't eat, or don't pay my bills, I can't work - ergo: business deduction!" I politely admonished him not to flagrantly violate the law, however he insisted that I didn't know what I was talking about.

At the moment my CPA licensure is underway pending review with NASBA. Maybe one day I'll see through all of the bullshit I've been fed...

It's just like that streamer/YouTuber who was like "I shot a video walking around my apartment, that means the whole thing is my workplace." and "I vlogged about my divorce, so my divorce attorney is a business expense."

Not long after that, naturally, he made some videos about how it's not fair that the IRS is coming after him. I'm guessing it was because he 1) committed incredible tax fraud and 2) made YouTube videos about how he was totally committing tax fraud.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So that San Fran hillside got me looking at the most expensive houses in San Fran (a paltry 29 million) and then near me, and then in NYC (80 million) until finally I found the ultimate BWM real estate.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

CellBlock posted:

It's just like that streamer/YouTuber who was like "I shot a video walking around my apartment, that means the whole thing is my workplace." and "I vlogged about my divorce, so my divorce attorney is a business expense."

Not long after that, naturally, he made some videos about how it's not fair that the IRS is coming after him. I'm guessing it was because he 1) committed incredible tax fraud and 2) made YouTube videos about how he was totally committing tax fraud.

That was such a juicy read/watch. I wish Onision would post more whinging about the big bad IRS for doing...their very real and anticipated duty to collect tax on income.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

CellBlock posted:

IIRC, it was because he had actually made a bunch of stupid deductions once, got audited and had the IRS break him, and then kept on making new stupid deductions.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

19 o'clock posted:

That was such a juicy read/watch. I wish Onision would post more whinging about the big bad IRS for doing...their very real and anticipated duty to collect tax on income.

Whoa whoa...he said in his Youtube video that he was taking those things as deductions?

Do these people not realize there are finder's fees for tax snitches?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Whoa whoa...he said in his Youtube video that he was taking those things as deductions?

Do these people not realize there are finder's fees for tax snitches?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwD6SCAENx4

Hey, at least he's insufferable, too!

EDIT: Ha! I forgot he has a Tesla. Several layers of BWM.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

CellBlock posted:

I've had a few uber drivers tell me they write their whole car off because they use it for uber.

I also had a contractor coworker tell me she writes off her car/gas because she drives to work. I wasn't sure, but I thought it might be okay considering the whole contractor thing. Then she told me she actually writes off her husband's car and gas as hers instead. She did this because he has a more expensive car, drives further to work and does all the driving when they are together. She also claimed she could write off her whole house because she had a home office. I told her she should be careful and I didn't think that was something you can do. She scoffed and told me that was absurd. Edit added detail: I'll also add that she chose to work as a contractor and wouldn't take permanent positions specifically to get this benefit because her husband didn't "qualify".

A lot of people seem to have one quick trick to write off outrageous amounts of stuff.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 23, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Back when I traveled locally for work, the team I was on would get reimbursed by whatever was the standard was for every mile we drove. One of my co-workers was so excited to tell me how I could get reimbursed AND claim the miles on my taxes. I have no idea if that ever came back to bite her on the rear end.

Also, looking that up just now I noticed you don't get that deduction as of 2017. Was that a Trump tax gotcha? I'm going to go out on a limb and make a bold claim that a lot of people who claim mileage are not rich and will not be happy next year even with their larger standard deduction.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Elysium posted:

So that San Fran hillside got me looking at the most expensive houses in San Fran (a paltry 29 million) and then near me, and then in NYC (80 million) until finally I found the ultimate BWM real estate.

not bad not bad but how about ONE BILLION DOLLARS for 157 acres that may not even be eligible for sale at all?
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/aug/10/la-worlds-most-valuable-real-estate-billion-dollar-lot

quote:

The only certain thing may be that nothing in this story is what it seems. The cast of characters associated with the property down the years has included the shah of Iran, Brad Pitt, a Cuban American philanthropist convicted and jailed for running a property scam, and the feuding heirs and trustees of the founder of Herbalife, the global wellness promotion behemoth that has itself been accused of perpetrating scams on its customers.

On top of that, the Mountain has been at the center of a never-ending lawsuit whose stultifying complexities and ever-wandering trajectory from party to party and from court to court rival the infamous Jarndyce v Jarndyce case from Dickens’s Bleak House. A major character in the story is in fact called Charles Dickens, or Chip Dickens, as he prefers to be known, an Atlanta businessman who came to Los Angeles more than a decade ago to pull off the ultimate real estate deal, only to pile up enough regrets for a jukebox’s worth of hard-luck country songs.

Research by the Guardian suggests the property may not be eligible for sale at all. At a federal court hearing in April, lawyers on opposite sides acknowledged a “cloud of title” – legalese meaning it’s not clear who owns it, never mind who owes whom for the tens of millions dollars spent to date on grading the hillside and other expenses associated with preparing the land for sale. An exasperated federal bankruptcy judge, Barry Russell, washed his hands of the case at the hearing, saying that after 10 years of litigation “this has to come to an end”, at least in his courtroom.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

Back when I traveled locally for work, the team I was on would get reimbursed by whatever was the standard was for every mile we drove. One of my co-workers was so excited to tell me how I could get reimbursed AND claim the miles on my taxes. I have no idea if that ever came back to bite her on the rear end.

Also, looking that up just now I noticed you don't get that deduction as of 2017. Was that a Trump tax gotcha? I'm going to go out on a limb and make a bold claim that a lot of people who claim mileage are not rich and will not be happy next year even with their larger standard deduction.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/standard-mileage-rates-for-2018-up-from-rates-for-2017 :confused:

Or is that out of date and they never bothered putting some sort of note in there after that happened?

I feel like most people claiming more than they should in self-employment deductions never get hit, especially when they're only claiming an extra $1-2k or so. You know, the sort of amount that the difference between your whole phone bill vs a proportionate amount of your phone bill is. Especially since if they were to take it to court they would have to try to disprove you saying how much you're using that for business versus personal use. Unless it's similar to civil asset forfeiture where you have to prove that you aren't doing something wrong? I guess that wouldn't surprise me.

Someone claiming their whole rent/mortgage like Onision or the person mentioned in a post above will probably get hit before long, but with how underfunded the IRS is I bet most of these people fall under pigs in terms of pigs getting fat and hogs getting slaughtered.

I'm not endorsing cheating on your taxes at all, BTW.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 23, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/standard-mileage-rates-for-2018-up-from-rates-for-2017 :confused:

Or is that out of date and they never bothered putting some sort of note in there after that happened?

I feel like most people claiming more than they should in self-employment deductions never get hit, especially when they're only claiming an extra $1-2k or so. You know, the sort of amount that the difference between your whole phone bill vs a proportionate amount of your phone bill is. Especially since if they were to take it to court they would have to try to disprove you saying how much you're using that for business versus personal use. Unless it's similar to civil asset forfeiture where you have to prove that you aren't doing something wrong? I guess that wouldn't surprise me.

Someone claiming their whole rent/mortgage like Onision or the person mentioned in a post above will probably get hit before long, but with how underfunded the IRS is I bet most of these people fall under pigs in terms of pigs getting fat and hogs getting slaughtered.

I'm not endorsing cheating on your taxes at all, BTW.

Turbo Tax seems to think it's nixed:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/jobs-and-career/federal-tax-laws-on-mileage-reimbursement/L6b5ImHo0

quote:

For tax years prior to 2018, if you work for an employer who requires you do some traveling using your own car, federal tax law allows you to claim a deduction for the business mileage if you’re not reimbursed for the expense. Even when you do receive a reimbursement or allowance, it’s still possible to take a deduction depending on the type of reimbursement policy used by your employer.

After 2017, these and other unreimbursed employee expenses are no longer deductible.

Our stupid tax code.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Ashcans posted:

if you stretch your budget to $200k you can get this beautiful 1500sqft lot on a 35-degree slope with no street access. Just imagine the potential!

Potential energy, anyway

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

greazeball posted:

not bad not bad but how about ONE BILLION DOLLARS for 157 acres that may not even be eligible for sale at all?
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/aug/10/la-worlds-most-valuable-real-estate-billion-dollar-lot

That's a steal at a mere $6.3 million an acre. I think you'll find my property worth $872,000,000 an acre.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

greazeball posted:

A quarter of a square mile in LA would be worth a bit if you could really build on it. Talking apartment blocks, offices, retail, you are looking at being able to build an entire activity node if you have the cash and financing to make it work. Just have to get through the zoning, rich neighbors who will fight change, etc, etc, etc...

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

TraderStav posted:

My wife busts my chops when I pick up two $20 polos at Costco.

I just looked at the past few years of my spending history, my family of 5 has spent an average of 2% of our single-income household on Clothing.

We aren't shopping at Mervyn's or anything either.

Mervyn's has been dead for nearly 10 years. I'd be surprised if you were still shopping there .

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

19 o'clock posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwD6SCAENx4

Hey, at least he's insufferable, too!

EDIT: Ha! I forgot he has a Tesla. Several layers of BWM.

I get that he is deducting a lot of capital expenses for his business which seems legal, but can someone explain how he thinks he can deduct his divorce fees and mortgage?

He stated in his video that he deducted his divorce because his divorce settlement involved sharing business assets with his ex-wife? WHAT?

And since he films in his house, he can deduct the whole mortgage? WHAT? I guess you can deduct some of your mortgage if you have a space dedicated to your work, but.. WHAT?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

Excellent drainage

When I had the slip in my backyard the drainage improved dramatically. Nothing $70,000 in structural design, 8 m timber posts, concrete, short sections of steel beams and 4 rock anchors couldn't fix. For that site the professional fees for the engineering geologist would be rather serious, let alone stabilising the "land".

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CmdrRiker posted:

can someone explain how he thinks

Assumes facts not in evidence.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

The only real problem in this country is that rich people don't have enough money.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

CmdrRiker posted:

I get that he is deducting a lot of capital expenses for his business which seems legal, but can someone explain how he thinks he can deduct his divorce fees and mortgage?

He stated in his video that he deducted his divorce because his divorce settlement involved sharing business assets with his ex-wife? WHAT?

And since he films in his house, he can deduct the whole mortgage? WHAT? I guess you can deduct some of your mortgage if you have a space dedicated to your work, but.. WHAT?

He also stated that "nobody ever told me about this" or "TurboTax never explained it to me". He's a damaged idiot.

If you're too busy living in your house to invite the IRS in and validate its business purpose, it's not for business.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Keep an eye out for new castle construction in Southern California soon.

Oh how I wish Castle Hunters took off.

https://www.hgtv.com/shows/castle-hunters/episodes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSGOe_w9z4k

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

19 o'clock posted:

He also stated that "nobody ever told me about this" or "TurboTax never explained it to me". He's a damaged idiot.

If you're too busy living in your house to invite the IRS in and validate its business purpose, it's not for business.

He didn't just say "TurboTax never explained it to me," he asked reddit if he could sue TurboTax.
https://old.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/726g5m/turbo_tax_screwed_me_over_wa/

"I tried to claim my divorce as a business expense since she was trying to take my business from me, common sense. " "She was trying to take my business from me. That's a legitimate Business expense."
https://old.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/726g5m/turbo_tax_screwed_me_over_wa/dng82rb/

https://old.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6yox5p/irs_auditing_me_for_the_past_three_years/
https://old.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/726g5m/turbo_tax_screwed_me_over_wa/

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

MisterOblivious posted:

He didn't just say "TurboTax never explained it to me," he asked reddit if he could sue TurboTax.

drat, I was confused and thinking of this video where he bemoans not being provided a pop-up dialog box: https://youtu.be/v2FWNZhyPLY

I want more of his salty complaints about being a member of society who has to pay taxes on making YouTube videos.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

MisterOblivious posted:

"I tried to claim my divorce as a business expense since she was trying to take my business from me, common sense. " "She was trying to take my business from me. That's a legitimate Business expense."
https://old.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/726g5m/turbo_tax_screwed_me_over_wa/dng82rb/

https://old.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6yox5p/irs_auditing_me_for_the_past_three_years/

These links help me understand his language a little better, thank you.

He is so incredulous about his tax deductions. When does it stray from ignorance to criminal tax fraud/evasion?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

When you piss off the IRS.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Ignorance of a crime is not a valid defense.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Nocheez posted:

What if they didn't know this?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ignorance that something is a crime is not a defense, but ignorance can be a defense if a crime requires intent, and I believe that tax evasion requires willfulness as a component. If you're just an idiot and can't calculate your home office, you aren't evading taxes, you're just getting them wrong. That's why the IRS starts with auditing people, because if you're actually just making mistakes, they will correct your return and give you the opportunity to make good (or, to disagree with their determination and file an appeal), which is what someone who was simply ignorant would opt to do. It's when you don't comply with an audit or try to avoid paying your acknowledged taxes that you gain the willful component and they'll get to charging you.

It would not surprise me to find that Orision ends up crossing that line when the IRS really doesn't buy the 'I filmed a youtube video in my bath so this room is deductible' argument, so he moves all his money into bitcoins to try and prevent them collecting anything.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Nocheez posted:

Mens rea is still an element of many crimes.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

The IRS gets so many frivolous arguments against paying taxes that they put together a super long document listing specific laws and court cases showing for example that paying taxes is not, in fact, voluntary. Some of them are pretty stupid.

https://www.irs.gov/privacy-disclosure/the-truth-about-frivolous-tax-arguments-section-i-a-to-c

I've put a couple examples below but don't want to gunk up the thread too much so I'd recommend skimming the document. There are some really good ones in there I haven't seen before ("The IRS is LEGALLY OBLIGATED to file a return for me if I don't file one!")

quote:

1. Contention: The filing of a tax return is voluntary.
Some taxpayers assert that they are not required to file federal tax returns because the filing of a tax return is voluntary. Proponents of this contention point to the fact that the IRS tells taxpayers in the Form 1040 instruction book that the tax system is voluntary. Additionally, these taxpayers frequently quote Flora v. United States, 362 U.S. 145, 176 (1960), for the proposition that "[o]ur system of taxation is based upon voluntary assessment and payment, not upon distraint."

The Law: The word “voluntary,” as used in Flora and in IRS publications, refers to our system of allowing taxpayers initially to determine the correct amount of tax and complete the appropriate returns, rather than have the government determine tax for them from the outset. The requirement to file an income tax return is not voluntary and is clearly set forth in sections 6011(a), 6012(a), et seq., and 6072(a) of the Internal Revenue Code. See also Treas. Reg. § 1.6011-1(a).

quote:

3. Contention: Taxpayers can reduce their federal income tax liability by filing a “zero return”.
Some taxpayers attempt to reduce their federal income tax liability by filing a tax return that reports no income and no tax liability (a “zero return”) even though they have taxable income. Many of these taxpayers also request a refund of any taxes withheld by an employer. These individuals typically attach to the zero return a “corrected” Form W-2 or another information return that reports income and income tax withholding, reling on one or more of the frivolous arguments discussed throughout this outline to support their position.

The Law: A taxpayer that has taxable income cannot legally avoid income tax by filing a zero return.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

CmdrRiker posted:

I think I mentioned this way earlier in the thread, but skimming through one of his videos about it, apparently he shows "hardcore lovemaking" on his "private feed", so basically they filmed porn and therefore it was a workplace.

Apparently this is a dude who accidentally killed a turtle by leaving it under a plastic bucket in the sun, though, so yeah...

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Tomfoolery posted:

The IRS gets so many frivolous arguments against paying taxes that they put together a super long document listing specific laws and court cases showing for example that paying taxes is not, in fact, voluntary. Some of them are pretty stupid.

https://www.irs.gov/privacy-disclosure/the-truth-about-frivolous-tax-arguments-section-i-a-to-c

I've put a couple examples below but don't want to gunk up the thread too much so I'd recommend skimming the document. There are some really good ones in there I haven't seen before ("The IRS is LEGALLY OBLIGATED to file a return for me if I don't file one!")

Whatever, slave.

(Just pulled this from my cousin's FB page today)

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Hoodwinker posted:

I was at a concert at Ravinia last night, the Chicagoland area's fancy open-air concert venue, and found something amusing inside of their massive program booklet. First, I'll add that it contained no less than three ads for wealth management groups (know your audience I guess) but one of them had a line that stuck out to me. I don't have a picture but here's a transcription:

Emphasis mine. I love that anybody with half a brain will look at those two lines and go, "Huh? Why the gently caress should I give a poo poo that they're ranked first in making themselves money?"

Presumably so they can put "rated top financial advisor in the state" in their marketing materials, while burying what that actually means?

A reminder that a federal court recently ruled that financial advisors have no legal obligation to act in their clients' best interests, and the recommended process for screening a financial advisor to ensure they aren't screwing you is actually pretty convoluted, and likely opaque to most people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

SlapActionJackson posted:

Mens rea is still an element of many crimes.

You can have the intent to commit a criminal act without knowing the act is criminal.

Even if I don’t know it’s a crime to steal your bike, if I do it on purpose, I still meant to do something that was a crime.