Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Wolfsheim posted:

People also said Prey was unplayable on consoles and other than some egregious load times between areas in the last quarter of the game or so it was pretty much fine.

Yeah what? Unplayable how? It was just a normal game with long load times between major zones, what was unplayable about it :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Simone Magus posted:

Yeah what? Unplayable how? It was just a normal game with long load times between major zones, what was unplayable about it :confused:

Rinkles posted:

Prey practically had me vomiting. But I loved the game so persevered.

not making this up

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Rinkles posted:

not making this up

Wild! Was it the motion blur or whatever? Like I said I recall it being just... a normal game

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Not being a pc wanker here but Prey is an astoundingly unsuitable game for a controller

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm embarrassed for the goons in this thread badmouthing Dishonored. That's a punishable offence. Go and play through all the Thief series as punishment

thief 1 and 2 and hell, even 3? hell yes, punish me daddy.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Oh and re: 13 Sentinels length:

I'm at 25 hours and I'm about 80% done. It's long, but not overly verbose; scenes are quick and varied so there's no point where you're like "ugh I've been listening to exposition for 2 hours"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

Wild! Was it the motion blur or whatever? Like I said I recall it being just... a normal game

i think a combination of input lag and frame pacing issues

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Not being a pc wanker here but Prey is an astoundingly unsuitable game for a controller

it's fine. it might require more preparation for the hectic moments, though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I’d say it’d be fine if Arkane weren’t so bad at optimising for console

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I played Prey on a base PS4 and it ranked on my top ten of that year, easy

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah it’s an astounding game.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Vikar Jerome posted:

thief 1 and 2 and hell, even 3? hell yes, punish me daddy.

And Thi4f, you ain't getting off that easy

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Firstborn posted:

I bounced off Dishonored hard over the artstyle.

That's a real shame, I think it has an incredible art style. They had the guy who worked on Half Life 2 doing art for the first Dishonored and I thought that style combined with the watercolor-ish texture work looked incredibly stylish and unforgettable. Sadly he didn't work on Dishonored 2 (or Death of the Outsider) as far as I know but I think they did a decent job of emulating and updating his style, especially with character models. Not to everyone's taste obviously but aside from the genius level design I'd put the art style up there as one of the big things that I love about the IP (and that's all art, visual and audio, but the work of that Russian artist was something really special I think).

Simone Magus posted:

Some games have weird effects on people. I've never had an issue with any game except Marvel Ultimate Alliance (I forget which one) which gave me really bad motion sickness and I've no idea what was up with that, especially since it was an isometric game. Never encountered it when playing anything else. I haven't played Prey but could see someone feeling how I did with MUA being sick during those sections in space.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The tree sway in The Witcher 3 made me physically ill. Never had that happen before.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

Some games have weird effects on people. I've never had an issue with any game except Marvel Ultimate Alliance (I forget which one) which gave me really bad motion sickness and I've no idea what was up with that, especially since it was an isometric game. Never encountered it when playing anything else. I haven't played Prey but could see someone feeling how I did with MUA being sick during those sections in space.

Probably screenshake?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Rinkles posted:

i think a combination of input lag and frame pacing issues

Does Bloodborne make you motion sick as well? That’s just the only other game I can think of that people have said has bad frame pacing, I don’t really notice it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Imhotep posted:

Does Bloodborne make you motion sick as well? That’s just the only other game I can think of that people have said has bad frame pacing, I don’t really notice it.

*in whispers*: I haven't played Bloodborne

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Rinkles posted:

Insane

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dishonored And Prey are both totally playable on console, but Arkane is probably just about one of the worst ever devs for making games feel good on a controller. You get used to the controls but they are never good.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Rinkles posted:

Does Rinkles here truly belong?
If this is what he's given song
To not play the 'borne
Leaves the crowd torn
But to say no? You would be wrong

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

SUNKOS posted:

They had the guy who worked on Half Life 2 doing art for the first Dishonored

Viktor Antonov

I've memorized his name because he's my favorite artist in games.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rinkles posted:

lol wth

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Imhotep posted:

Lol Milla Jovovich in the Monster Hunter movie x Monster Hunter World crossover event is so stupid, but drat I forgot how good this game is

yeah that quest sucks lol but the gear reward is ace

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i have no excuse.

except for never really feeling like playing it.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Probably screenshake?

I love screenshake. I adhere to the Vlambeer school of game design :D

Imhotep posted:

In my case it didn't. It was annoying, but didn't cause any motion sickness or even mild nausea/headaches and I did nearly everything in the game except that final trophy for the queen deep in the chalice dungeons.

Rinkles posted:

If you're interested but the difficulty puts you off please consider that you can summon other players to help (which is really satisfying with a boss you've been stuck at for a while) and also friendly NPCs or if not there's a really good gameplay walkthrough with no commentary on YouTube that covers the game and Old Hunters DLC. It's definitely worth finding some way to experience the game - even if it's just watching a playthrough - because it's a must-have experience, imo.

As you once did the vacuous Rom, grant Rinkles eyes :pray:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

haveblue posted:

The best movie game is actually Escape from Butcher Bay sorry

this would be true in any world where Alien: Isolation didn't exist.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i remember that rockstar beat-em-up based on the warriors being really cool. i see it’s on psn now but i might be better off just preserving my fond memories

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

As you once did the vacuous Rom, grant Rinkles eyes :pray:

i could use an extra pair

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Dishonored 2 is so much better to me just for the fact that it gives you so many more ways to be non lethal. Plus being able to customize your difficulty is always cool.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Weedle posted:

i remember that rockstar beat-em-up based on the warriors being really cool. i see it’s on psn now but i might be better off just preserving my fond memories

I tried playing it recently with zero nostalgia and uh yeah it hadn't aged great

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Rinkles posted:

Good for brain. Bad for sanity.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Doom Eternal loving rules. Looking up mission lists I'm 4/5 of the way through and I love it. At first I was skeptical of the changes from Doom 2016 but I love everything about it. The exploration is really great, I've found every secret just through looking around, the structure of unlocking fast travel at the end of each mission is real smart. In the one instance where I missed a secret and accidentally went too far, I went back with all the cheats and had fun then got what I needed and left. Perfect.

The combat changes are a lot to think about but it's fun to use all of the tools.

I'm playing on easy though.

Edit: Also, although I fully recognise I'm playing on easy, the Marauders I've fought were basically just like the bosses, they're like minibosses, so having to fight them differently just... makes... sense! Especially once I got to the guardian, complete with green flashing eyes. I don't get how it's verboten to have enemies that break the rules...

Akuma fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 17, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Akuma posted:

Doom Eternal loving rules. Looking up mission lists I'm 4/5 of the way through and I love it. At first I was skeptical of the changes from Doom 2016 but I love everything about it. The exploration is really great, I've found every secret just through looking around, the structure of unlocking fast travel at the end of each mission is real smart. In the one instance where I missed a secret and accidentally went too far, I went back with all the cheats and had fun then got what I needed and left. Perfect.

The combat changes are a lot to think about but it's fun to use all of the tools.

I'm playing on easy though.

Did you get the DLC? It’s great

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rinkles posted:

these insight modules are special, we can install them in any orifice of your choosing! :goatsecx:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Did you get the DLC? It’s great
Got the deluxe edition on sale! So I'm looking forward to it, yeah.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Rinkles posted:

i have no excuse.

except for never really feeling like playing it.

Give it a whirl, it’s not bad.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I’ve stopped playing Cyberpunk for now and switched to Idolmaster. Now that’s a game about a true dystopia where the only source of dreams and aspirations for the future come from girls singing bubblegum pop songs.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oh that reminds me that I still haven't met Grimes yet in Cyberpunk... I was hoping to wrap up this weekend and technically I know I'm almost to the PONR in the main quest but I don't know how much significant side stuff is left

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Samurai Sanders posted:

I’ve stopped playing Cyberpunk for now and switched to Idolmaster. Now that’s a game about a true dystopia where the only source of dreams and aspirations for the future come from girls singing bubblegum pop songs.

It’s a curse and the reason why there’s an average of less than one chapter of Berserk released per year

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Are there any good celebrity cameos in video games

e: Not just voice cast, celebrities appearing as their own name and likeness. The only one I can think of is Aisha Tyler appearing as an NPC in Watchdogs 1. And I think a video game journalist appeared as a space journalist in ME3 and that made people angry for some reason?

haveblue fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

haveblue posted:

Are there any good celebrity cameos in video games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LiO2G_SanM