Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Sensenmann posted:

First of all, you didn't read the Redesigned 3 description. FCO is a mandatory install but the esm/esps for it should be deactivated after installation to avoid issues. At least that was the case last time I checked.

I did read the description, where it was recommended that they were deactivated, though it was not mandatory. I kept it on as I really liked how the mod companion Niner looked like with his FCO patch, though that patch seem to function despite FCOMaster.esm being disabled. However, I can see that the NVR3 description has now been reworded to "STRONGLY recommended to disable any and all .esp files with the words "FCO" in them", which makes it sound a lot less optional than it used to. I'm going to listen to the mod man and do so, though I'm gonna miss Niner's FCO face. :(

Sensenmann posted:

Next, you are using JIP Companions and some UnlimitedCompanions.esp. The latter is completely redundant since JIP has an option for that.

Yeah, I remembered seeing the option to activate unlimited companions somewhere in the Mod Menu on a test game a few weeks ago, but I couldn't remember what mod had the option, or if it even actually happened, so I activated UnlimitedCompanions.esp just in case, and planned to disable it if I ever found the correct menu. Thanks for telling me! Saves me a lot of menu-trawling.

Sensenmann posted:

If you are using the latest MoMod, 10.b I think, the rebalanced levelled mod is likely to poo poo on your game at some point since it's been made for 10 and incompatible with 10.b. If you insist on using MoMod, get the Wasteland editon and use its plugins with MoMod. http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/42136/

Ok, thanks for the advice. Considered trying Wasteland edition out before, but wasn't too sure about the Boss battles.

Sensenmann posted:

And finally, use a Bashed Patch. Wrye Bash/Flash is superior to FNVEdit when it comes to levelled lists and patch merging, so get to it asap. And to avoid confusion, simply read this:

http://wiki.step-project.com/User:EssArrBee/FalloutNewVegas

Once you've set up Wrye and are ready to Bash your mods pay close attention to this part of the guide.

http://wiki.step-project.com/User:EssArrBee/FalloutNewVegas#Creating_a_Bashed_Patch

You can skip the entire Tweak Settings part if you want, for some modders including all the tweaks has odd although not gamebreaking side effects. When I use that, for example, all map markers on the compass are gone and will only reappear when I literally stand on the point they are, well, pointing to. As I said, annoying but not gamebreaking.

I've been hearing arguments for both tools, and have tried both of them in the last few weeks, but most of my experience with Wrye Bash comes from my Oblivion days, so I'm pretty rusty at it. I like FNVEDIT so far, but I might look more into Wrye Bash again.

Thanks for all the advice, though!

RiffRaff1138 posted:

The thing is, there are certain weapons (mostly a bunch of Fallout 3 weapons) that both FOOK and Project Nevada add to the game. The Convergence mod is supposed to remove the PN versions of those weapons from all inventories and leveled lists, and only use the FOOK versions. It can't remove the weapons' data from PN, and there's other weapons and armors unique to PN, so it can't leave out the Equipment module. So, they just remove all in-game access to the duplicate weapons, dummying them out basically.

Are you only finding replaced weapons by the Alternate Start mod giving them to you? If so, my guess would be that its script somehow just chooses from all weapons in the game without any regard to regular availability. In that case, just find the ID numbers of the correct versions of the weapons and give them to yourself with the console. Do note that FOOK uses real-world names for weapons (i.e. "Shanxi Type 17" instead of "Chinese Pistol") so it might take a little more effort.

If you're also finding replaced weapons out in the wild, then I don't know. Some other mod is messing with it. I played through the game with FOOK-PN Convergence just fine, and the only issue I had was that the Gun Runners stocked both mods' versions of the Desert Eagle.

Yeah, I thought that might be the case, but I dismissed it because I thought PN's weapons wouldn't "make it into the game" if everything worked correctly. I'll try what you suggested, might just be the Alternate Start mod throwing otherwise unavailable weapons at me. Thanks for the suggestion!

Gyshall posted:

Yeah and I can see a problem here:

WeaponModsExpanded.esp
WMX-DLCMerged.esp
Weapon Mod Expansion.esp
Project Nevada - WME.esp
EVE FNV - ALL DLC.esp
FOOK-PN-WME-WMX-EVE Convergence.esp
DLC Weapon Integration - WMX.esp

Are all these compatible?

I'd blow away that install and start over slowly, to be honest.

The Convergence mod requires all those other mods, save for the last one, in that order. It is essentially a giant compatibility patch between FOOK, PN, WMX, WME, and EVE, as well as AWOP if you're feeling frisky.

I probably shouldn't be using DLC Weapon Integration - WMX though, as I believe most of the guns in Convergence use WME mods, while only the melee weapons and maybe unarmed stuff gets to use WMX. I remember seeing the author of WMX being disappointed about that somewhere. Hell, it might have been in this thread.

Psion posted:

That's the other thing - going from zero to 150 in one swoop is going to drive you insane. Even if you manage to get Convergence working right (and a lot of people have) it's critical to start slowly, test, and build up any mod order. Knowing that one of five mods is causing you grief is a lot easier than a list of 150 and not knowing what the gently caress.

I can definitely agree with that. Whenever I decide to replay a Bethesda game I inevitably end up trawling through Nexusmods or wherever to find the best mods so I can create "the perfect experience". It all inevitably crashes down, but I never learn.

Psion posted:

whenever I rebuild a big mod list, most of my time is spent reading readmes and taking notes to make sure I do compatibility and dependencies right. Then, sorcery.

I tend to check out the Readme of whatever mod new mod I've downloaded, and when it comes to doing impossibly massive installs I tend to keep them up as a reference guide at all times. I still mess up though, but MO has made it much easier to fix fuckups. I don't miss the Nexus Mod Manager one bit.

But yeah, sorcery is pretty much always involved.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Fallout New Vegas: Mo' mods, mo' problems.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

LoonShia posted:

Best summary of the last three pages.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

Ok, thanks for the advice. Considered trying Wasteland edition out before, but wasn't too sure about the Boss battles.

That's where the plugins come in. The Wasteland edition has plugins to remove the weird rear end creatures and the boss battles. Thing is, it still is a bit of a hit and miss experience. Some monsters are cool, some are meh and some are simply WTF?. I can live without it but I got used to playing with MoMod so I just run with it.

ThaumPenguin posted:

I've been hearing arguments for both tools, and have tried both of them in the last few weeks, but most of my experience with Wrye Bash comes from my Oblivion days, so I'm pretty rusty at it. I like FNVEDIT so far, but I might look more into Wrye Bash again.

Thanks for all the advice, though!

You can use both, which is an especially brilliant idea if your mod list is bordering on the insane. First, create a merged patch and delete the Leveled Creature/Item/NPC and FormID List entries from it, that's what Wrye is for. Fire up Wrye, uncheck the Merged Patch, rebuild the Bashed Patch using the S.T.E.P. settings, done. Use loot to sort or simply put the Bashed patch at the bottom and the Merged patch right before it. This should also take care of your (Replaced) problem. If not, deal with it. I had that in one play through and in the next it was gone. Nothing was changed between the two runs...

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ThaumPenguin posted:

Im going to say, with about 99% certainty, that this is your problem right here.

FNVEdit is a great tool, but the merged patch function is incredibly dumb compared to Wrye Bash. FNVEdit just sees "welp, all these plugins modify the same leveled list, better create a version with ALL the entries, even the stuff that was supposed to be removed" while RELEV\DELEV tags in Wrye Flash let Wrye Bash look and say "Well, these all modify the same list, but THIS mod has DELEV tags so the stuff it removed must've been intentional."

Seriously, get Wrye Bash going.

(My advice is ditch the merged patch entirely and use a bashed patch in its place.)

LoonShia posted:

This should seriously be the new thread title.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

ThaumPenguin posted:

If you want to get rid of "(replaced)", do as I told you earlier:

Drag the "[weapon name]" field onto "[weapon name] (replaced)" at the far right in FNVEdit. Do this for every weapon. Then save the .esp either by closing FNVEdit or hitting (I think) F2. The column on the far right are those entries the game ends up loading.

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
I'm looking for a complete sound overhaul mod, but all I've found so far are replacements for weapon sounds. This is closer to what I'm looking for, but it's a little too ridiculous for me. Any suggestions?

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
So somewhere around 1 in 5 NCR troopers in my game seem to be down to their skivvies and occasionally with chest rigs. No clue why this is happening. Has anyone else run into this?

- Also note the random unhelmeted veteran ranger when I'm level 4.

Some seem to be armed only with knives. Is this intended?

Here are the mods I'm using that affect NCR troopers:

ADAM

NCR Rearmed

NCR Trooper Overhaul

NCR Trooper Overhaul - Distributed

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Gets hot out there man.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Gets hot out there man.

Really makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

SplitSoul posted:

Remember that the game still counts inactive plugins in the Data folder for its limit.

It does?

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Necroskowitz posted:

So somewhere around 1 in 5 NCR troopers in my game seem to be down to their skivvies and occasionally with chest rigs. No clue why this is happening. Has anyone else run into this?

- Also note the random unhelmeted veteran ranger when I'm level 4.

Some seem to be armed only with knives. Is this intended?

Here are the mods I'm using that affect NCR troopers:

ADAM

NCR Rearmed

NCR Trooper Overhaul

NCR Trooper Overhaul - Distributed

Try going up to them, opening the console, clicking on each trooper and typing 'resetinventory'. I had a similar issue and that managed to fix it for whatever reason.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Has anyone tried ENBs which "require" Interior Lighting Overhaul without ILO? If so, what'd you think?

Onix says if you do this interiors will be 'too bright' but I'd like to see a comparison shot or something before I strip ILO out of my load order. Finding light switches in every drat warehouse adds "immersion" in the sense of "this is dumb."

alternate question: is there a way to globally boost lighting with an ENB using the config settings or some poo poo? Bumping ingame just washes everything way the gently caress out. I expect the answer to this question is no, but hey.

ThaumPenguin posted:

more like 300

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

This was probably mentioned at some point in this thread, but I figure I'll put it out there just in case. Project Reality is kind of a buggy piece of poo poo, and I didn't know it. All my savefiles would eventually end up becoming unplayably laggy, and I could never figure out why, until I messed with PR's settings and it fixed itself. Apparently every now and then you need to turn on then off again the settings in it, especially subtle DoF, or poo poo just goes into massive slowdown. Probably some sort of retarded script error or something. I was about to blame Convergence for it too, as it started lagging really bad after I tossed that stuff on, but it was but a coincidence.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Psion posted:

alternate question: is there a way to globally boost lighting with an ENB using the config settings or some poo poo? Bumping ingame just washes everything way the gently caress out. I expect the answer to this question is no, but hey.

Yes, hit shift+enter (by default) to bring up ENB's in-game config tweaker thing. (It's a good idea to bring up the console first because it doesn't pause the game or stop you clicking on things - I.e. attacking wildly.) This in-game thing lets you play with various settings regarding ambient and normal lighting, separated into day/night/interior/exterior/etc. Hit 'save changes' at the top once you've finished tweaking.

Infinity Gaia posted:

This was probably mentioned at some point in this thread, but I figure I'll put it out there just in case. Project Reality is kind of a buggy piece of poo poo, and I didn't know it. All my savefiles would eventually end up becoming unplayably laggy, and I could never figure out why, until I messed with PR's settings and it fixed itself. Apparently every now and then you need to turn on then off again the settings in it, especially subtle DoF, or poo poo just goes into massive slowdown. Probably some sort of retarded script error or something. I was about to blame Convergence for it too, as it started lagging really bad after I tossed that stuff on, but it was but a coincidence.

It was (by me) - but it's a big thread. I like Project Reality, but this is one of the things about it that made me decide recently to try something else for a while (Realism ENB for now).

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
I did it. After not playing the game for almost a year, and after removing all my mods and save files, I reinstalled FO3 and FONV. Now I need to figure out this TTW I've read about. How does it work?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
The author of EVE is about to release a mod called IMPACT where he has overhauled all the ballistics effects (shoot a wooden door, wooden chips go flying, shoot a pillow and feathers pop out, etc), bullet decals both on inanimate and organic objects, and a bunch of other effects. It in combination with the latest version of Destruction Overhaul makes shooting, well, everything an awful lot of fun now.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Naky posted:

The author of EVE is about to release a mod called IMPACT where he has overhauled all the ballistics effects (shoot a wooden door, wooden chips go flying, shoot a pillow and feathers pop out, etc), bullet decals both on inanimate and organic objects, and a bunch of other effects. It in combination with the latest version of Destruction Overhaul makes shooting, well, everything an awful lot of fun now.

Got a video?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

Got a video?

There're some images and some words

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Naky posted:

Speaking of Destruction Overhaul, any idea why it got taken down? I wanted to try that in my next playthrough but it's gone.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Sensenmann posted:

Speaking of Destruction Overhaul, any idea why it got taken down? I wanted to try that in my next playthrough but it's gone.

The story as it was managed to put together is that the author's family/friends started to really get on her rear end about how much time she was wasting on modding and how worthless it all was and in her fury she deleted everything she had done and removed everything. Then when she calmed down, realized what she had done was stupid. Last I looked i nto it, she was able to recover some of her files through a hard drive recovery program, someone obviously sent her the latest version that she had uploaded at the time, and that she was working on redoing the in-progress work. I guess the intention is to re-up it. I have the latest version that I can throw up somewhere in the meantime though.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21453599/DestructionOverhaul13.rar

Naky fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 27, 2014

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Naky posted:

The story as it was managed to put together is that the author's family/friends started to really get on her rear end about how much time she was wasting on modding and how worthless it all was and in her fury she deleted everything she had done and removed everything. Then when she calmed down, realized what she had done was stupid. Last I looked i nto it, she was able to recover some of her files through a hard drive recovery program, someone obviously sent her the latest version that she had uploaded at the time, and that she was working on redoing the in-progress work. I guess the intention is to re-up it. I have the latest version that I can throw up somewhere in the meantime though.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21453599/DestructionOverhaul13.rar

Ah, so your bog standard modder :airquote: fury :airquote:

Thanks!

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Sensenmann posted:

Ah, so your bog standard modder :airquote: fury :airquote:

Thanks!

Well, to be fair, family issues are a bit more understandable than "someone, somewhere said a mean thing about me, the world does not deserve my ART!"

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Please forgive my daftness in advance.
I have reinstalled FO3 and FONV and I am embarking on modding anew. I want to play with TTW and I ahve read through the FAQ twice and I'd like to get your input from experience before I go and drive myself crazy.
1. I need both games with all DLC.
2. Download and install TTW.
3. Can I use one of the mod managers still? I know I need to mod FONV and not FO3.
4. I'll start with the suggested mods on the TTW site and then go slowly adding mods.
5. NVSE!
6. Just be really careful to not add any mods that conflict with TTW.
Is that basically the deal? I feel like this is my first time modding.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Fallout Mod Manager is still the gold standard (I linked the active fork in the last month or so if you hit the ? button), although you might want to massage the load order with LOOT or something.

Also don't forget CASM and NVAC.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
So I reinstalled FNV and was planning to use it with MO, but the game CTD every time I launch through MO. I used MO with FNV before with no issues, so I'm at a loss.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Fallout Mod Manager is still the gold standard (I linked the active fork in the last month or so if you hit the ? button), although you might want to massage the load order with LOOT or something.

Also don't forget CASM and NVAC.

Thanks for the advice. I got it set up and running. Now to finesse the rest of the mods and dig in!

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012

GrizzlyCow posted:

So I reinstalled FNV and was planning to use it with MO, but the game CTD every time I launch through MO. I used MO with FNV before with no issues, so I'm at a loss.

Crash on startup generally tends to be related to esp master issues. Have you checked your load order?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

GrizzlyCow posted:

EssArrBee's STEP guide provides an excellent description of setting up FNV with MO.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Anybody help me with this intermittent issue I'm having using Rudy ENB? Occasionally objects in the distance will render on top of closer objects/terrain.

It's an intermittent thing but I can't quite figure out what is causing it. Steam Overlay causes some issues but this seems to be a separate thing.

Also have some screenshots just cos.

It looks good but sometimes NPCs looks super pale.

Jarf fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 29, 2014

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Renditious posted:

Crash on startup generally tends to be related to esp master issues. Have you checked your load order?

v1ld posted:

EssArrBee's STEP guide provides an excellent description of setting up FNV with MO.

Yeah, I was using the guide, and I realize I am an idiot. I was testing my "Fear and Loathing" profile and forgot I did that DarnUI ini tweak. I usually do the ini tweak after I install DarnUI that I didn't realize that Fear and Loathing does poo poo backwards. Thanks, though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Edit: Whoops.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 30, 2014

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

chitoryu12 posted:

Friend sent me this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0AxKGRKY3g

tl;dr The IV8888 folks don't have a single clue what they're actually looking at and they manage to somehow ricochet a Minie ball back at them with homemade ballistics gel.

Uh, wrong thread there, buddy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Infinity Gaia posted:

Uh, wrong thread there, buddy.

Goddammit.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Give me a Minie ball mod thanks.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Bloodnose posted:

Give me a Minie ball mod thanks.

Let's make a mod where every bullet fired has a chance to fling itself right back at the character firing it, promoting a pacifist playthrough. Or one focused on melee weapons.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
More like focused on quickloads.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

More like focused on quickloads.

so vanilla

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Jarf posted:

Anybody help me with this intermittent issue I'm having using Rudy ENB? Occasionally objects in the distance will render on top of closer objects/terrain.

It's an intermittent thing but I can't quite figure out what is causing it. Steam Overlay causes some issues but this seems to be a separate thing.

Fixed this btw, no idea if this is common knowledge. Figured I'd come post it incase somebody else comes along experiencing this.
I'm guessing it was an issue between the in-game AA and ENB as switching it off via the vanilla launcher fixed it.
Seemed to happen whenever a body of water was nearby. Who knows, maybe ghosts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

You're supposed to disable the gamebryo AA when using the ENB configurations