Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
^ That's a good tip, thanks.

A tip I just came up with: If you'd like to change the location of the Downloads folder for things like AirDrop, which do not appear to have any settings to do so, you can hack it from the terminal:

code:
$ sudo rm ~/Downloads
$ ln -s /path/to/new/folder ~/Downloads
I changed mine to the Desktop.

E: You'll need the "-rf" flags, which will of course delete any files and sub folders in the existing Downloads folder. sudo is necessary because Downloads is a system folder. Be careful with the terminal.

Kobayashi fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Rexim posted:

Is anyone else having trouble with Youtube in Safari? Videos will not play on either my iMac or Air (both running 10.10.1) but will play on my iPhone. This just started happening today and as far as I know I haven't changed anything recently (other than upgrading to 10.10.1)

Actually now youtube's broke in Safari for me, too. But it seems like only the html5 player is making GBS threads itself — sometimes it falls back to the flash player and works as expected.

This has worked for me so far, and I remember doing it in the PB for whatever reason: Change your useragent to Safari 7 (or probably anything that isn't too recent) and it'll use the flash player by default. See if that works, I guess.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Shin-chan posted:

He's referring to using the Name and Password fields vs. the list.
I'm aware what the question was, which is why I answered it. It lists the users. It can't be changed to blank user/pass fields like PGP. or the standard login window.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Kobayashi posted:

A tip I just came up with: If you'd like to change the location of the Downloads folder for things like AirDrop, which do not appear to have any settings to do so, you can hack it from the terminal:

code:
$ sudo rm ~/Downloads
$ ln -s /path/to/new/folder ~/Downloads
I changed mine to the Desktop.

fyi there's two things wrong with your tip: First, you don't need to use "sudo" to delete files which belong to you, and usually everything under ~/Downloads should belong to you. It's bad practice to overuse sudo since making a mistake with superuser privileges can be very very bad. Second, it should be "rm -r ~/Downloads" or "rm -rf ~/Downloads", because the "rm" command will not delete a directory unless you use the "-r" flag to make it a recursive operation.

Also you didn't warn people that doing this will delete anything in the Downloads folder.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

BobHoward posted:

fyi there's two things wrong with your tip: First, you don't need to use "sudo" to delete files which belong to you, and usually everything under ~/Downloads should belong to you. It's bad practice to overuse sudo since making a mistake with superuser privileges can be very very bad. Second, it should be "rm -r ~/Downloads" or "rm -rf ~/Downloads", because the "rm" command will not delete a directory unless you use the "-r" flag to make it a recursive operation.

Also you didn't warn people that doing this will delete anything in the Downloads folder.

Yeah I was just about to post this. That original post should be edited out for anyone who may come across it later.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Zenostein posted:

Actually now youtube's broke in Safari for me, too. But it seems like only the html5 player is making GBS threads itself — sometimes it falls back to the flash player and works as expected.

This has worked for me so far, and I remember doing it in the PB for whatever reason: Change your useragent to Safari 7 (or probably anything that isn't too recent) and it'll use the flash player by default. See if that works, I guess.

I find 'Firefox - Mac' has the best results and sticks to HTML5. YouTube is just hating Safari right now for some reason.

edit: actually it seems that that option is also using Flash. Weird.

Promoted Pawn fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 22, 2014

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I installed Opera today because I was having the same YouTube problems. I thought maybe some of my extensions weren't playing nice but even with everything disabled, videos weren't playing.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I'm a pretty new Mac user so I'm used to how Windows does things. When upgrading from Mavericks to Yosemite, should I back everything up and do a clean install or is the upgrade install sufficient in most cases?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

FordPRefectLL posted:

I'm a pretty new Mac user so I'm used to how Windows does things. When upgrading from Mavericks to Yosemite, should I back everything up and do a clean install or is the upgrade install sufficient in most cases?

You should back everything up regardless, but there's very rarely any reason to to a clean install unless you have some serious settings disaster going on.

I have machines that have been upgraded from 10.4 all the way up to 10.10, and then downgrade again because the hardware wasn't quite up to snuff for the newer versions, but the software was never an issue.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I sell mobile phones so I've learned to be a compulsive backupper, so no problem there. Good to know upgrades don't really cause problems, though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FordPRefectLL posted:

I sell mobile phones so I've learned to be a compulsive backupper, so no problem there. Good to know upgrades don't really cause problems, though.

Note that your performance may be sluggish the first few hours after upgrading because it has to reindex everything.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

BobHoward posted:

Good point with the warning. I added a note so people can't just blindly copy/paste. With that said, sudo is necessary because Downloads is a system folder. You can't delete it from the Finder, or from the terminal with normal user access.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Kobayashi posted:

With that said, sudo is necessary because Downloads is a system folder. You can't delete it from the Finder, or from the terminal with normal user access.

Oho, right you are. I was only looking at the ownership and permissions, which ordinarily would let you delete without sudo. Turns out Apple tags the Downloads, Music, etc folders with an Access Control List entry which denies all users the right to delete. You can see these ACLs with "ls -le".

FWIW, since you can modify ACLs on files and folders that you own, you could use an extra step to remove the ACL and then "rm" away without superuser:

code:
chmod -a "everyone deny delete" Downloads

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

do you guys notice the time machine icon being fuzzy sometimes? It's like sometimes it doesn't use the retina version or something.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Any recommendations for an App that will clean up my configuration\cache\settings\application support directories?

I haven't done a clean install since Lion and I think I have a ton of space being used by applications I no longer have on the computer.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

lol internet. posted:

Any recommendations for an App that will clean up my configuration\cache\settings\application support directories?

I haven't done a clean install since Lion and I think I have a ton of space being used by applications I no longer have on the computer.

Have you tried Onyx?

http://www.titanium.free.fr/downloadonyx.php

dox
Mar 4, 2006

lol internet. posted:

I've had good experiences with CleanMyMac- but it's not free.

Onyx is also great and free.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Have not, I'll try that.

dox posted:

I've had good experiences with CleanMyMac- but it's not free.

Onyx is also great and free.

I've tried the trial before but it's a bit more then I want to spend for this type of software.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Appearently the new pre-release version of Wireshark works native on Mac, appearently. No need for X11 anymore.
That is probably also why it looks rather...minmalistic.

The packet view is the same tho', so it is not that big of a deal. And to be honest I do like it a bit. You can see on a glance what interfaces are active and start a capture with a double-click.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
They're in the process of switching over to Qt, which is what makes that possible and also why it's so minimalist.

Boris the Blade
Jun 10, 2005
The Bullet-Dodger
I don't understand the UI for MPlayerX. The website has an updated UI for Yosemite, however it's nowhere to be seen on the actual app.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Boris the Blade posted:

I don't understand the UI for MPlayerX. The website has an updated UI for Yosemite, however it's nowhere to be seen on the actual app.

The mplayerX project is actually really shady, the development repo linked on the site hasn't been touched in ages.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Reminder that Movist did what MPlayerX was unwilling to do to dodge sandbox restrictions to remain up to date on the App Store. Of course, Movist actually costs money, but not much, and still continues to be updated.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Is there anything mplayerX does that VLC can't do?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

dik-dik posted:

Is there anything mplayerX does that VLC can't do?

Load quickly and unobtrusively and auto-detect the next file in a series.

…and that's about it. Those three are pretty handy features, though.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Once in a while Safari hangs and sometimes it takes a couple of minutes and figures itself out but every now and then it just black screens and reboots and there are a ton (like in the hundreds) of these in the logs during that time and they pop up constantly during normal use too. I've done all the disk utility stuff and everything I can find is 'delete Safari cache' but that hasn't helped. I'm on 10.10.1 on a mid-2012 13" Air.

code:
MBA.local nsurlstoraged[331]: Error: stepSQLStatement:toCompletionWithRetry - stepping returned unhandled result=11, DB=/Users/ME/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db
--- last message repeated 13 times ---
MBA.local nsurlstoraged[331]: ERROR: shrinkDB - shrink of file system cache did not fully complete.  Result: 11

and

MBA.local nsurlstoraged[331]: Error: execSQLStatement:onConnection:toCompletionWithRetry - SQL=PRAGMA incremental_vacuum;, error-code=11, error-message=database disk image is malformed

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
After Yosemite killed mplayer I reluctantly started using vlc and it's worked fine and fast and nicely minus the playing next episode feature.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

fast and nicely minus the playing next episode feature.

So just chill 'til the next episode.

In case anyone knows: How can I turn receiving pre-release Software Update seeds back on after turning it off in the settings? The setting disappears after turning it off.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I think you have to redownload the "Beta access utility" from here.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've only had a couple of Continuity phone calls and already I want voicemail access with transcription and a dedicated, non-FaceTime dialer. I didn't expect this feature to be so cool.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

dik-dik posted:

I think you have to redownload the "Beta access utility" from here.

I'm not in any beta program, I'm in the developer program. I tried the link anyway, and it's offering me to "Sign Up", but I shouldn't need to.

I wonder if the setting would come back if I just downloaded and installed a pre-release version of OS X or something, but it should just be something I could toggle on and off.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

flavor posted:

I'm not in any beta program, I'm in the developer program. I tried the link anyway, and it's offering me to "Sign Up", but I shouldn't need to.

You want the developer seed installer tool from developer.apple.com. You'll need to log in with your AppleID, of course.

Actually, if you already have the installer in your downloads folder, you can reuse it.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
VLC just looks like poo poo compared to mplayerx (as of 10.9). I might give Movist another shot. I just don't like VLC. It has bad shortcuts and ugly UI. MPlayerX's mappings are smart. Left and right jump 10 seconds, up and down jump a minute.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can make VLC look and work almost identically to Movist. I do right arrow to jump 10 sec and up/down to do 1minute. All I see when I use VLC is a Ui that looks like Movist.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's embarrassing that it's necessary. The default key bindings are poo poo in VLC.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Any ideas why iMessage likes to deactivate itself when I wake my MacBook Air? I've already tried signing out of it on the MacBook, iPhone and iPad and signing back into all of them.

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?

Boris the Blade posted:

I don't get it, what's wrong with it?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

kode54 posted:

Reminder that Movist did what MPlayerX was unwilling to do to dodge sandbox restrictions to remain up to date on the App Store. Of course, Movist actually costs money, but not much, and still continues to be updated.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just downloaded it to try it out, and am happy that it has dual subtitle support (great for language learning) and seems much more customisable than MPlayerX did.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone here use OneNote often? Does your OneNote also use 100% CPU while sitting idle, waiting for text input?

Yos 10.10.1, OneNote up to date, latest rMBP 13".

edit: Oh wait I lied, there is an update for OneNote and after installing it everything seems to be OK.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rexim posted:

I don't get it, what's wrong with it?
That screen is from the website, the actual app still looks how it was years ago. (Unless there's a newer build like that that I haven't tried yet)