Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Tony Schiavone (former WCW announcer of "THIS IS THE GREATEST NIGHT IN THE HISTORY OF OUR SPORT" fame) has recently started doing a podcast about WCW. I'm digging the no-fucks given attitude about burning bridges and he really gives some great insight into what a mess WCW was backstage even when they were doing massive business.

edit: Any Brian & Vinny reviews of TNA ppvs are also well worth listening to as the shows are generally such shitheaps that you can really understand why Brian just refused to review TNA anymore.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

What Culture actually runs their own indie promotion in the UK, so their video do usually end with a commercial, but their stuff usually is halfway decent.

What Culture also has a Gaming channel.

This can/should be safely ignored.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Testekill posted:

Tony Schiavone (former WCW announcer of "THIS IS THE GREATEST NIGHT IN THE HISTORY OF OUR SPORT" fame) has recently started doing a podcast about WCW. I'm digging the no-fucks given attitude about burning bridges and he really gives some great insight into what a mess WCW was backstage even when they were doing massive business.

edit: Any Brian & Vinny reviews of TNA ppvs are also well worth listening to as the shows are generally such shitheaps that you can really understand why Brian just refused to review TNA anymore.

what is the name, i am a huge fan of how shity WCW was run.

EDIT: found it!

EDIT2: thanks Dragonatrix

Cyron fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 14, 2017

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Cyron posted:

what is the name, i am a huge fan of how shity WCW was run.

What Happened When.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
What Happened When is REALLY good. I normally kinda roll my eyes at the whole "I DON'T CARE, I'LL BURN MY BRIDGES" things that come up from the old timers, but A) Tony is just really goddamn entertaining still, and B) he doesn't seem to be injecting any major bombast or bullshit, he just genuinely seems to not give a poo poo about pussyfooting around talking about an old dead promotion and that's nice. A lot of those kinda things just so happen to end up with the brave bridge burner coming out as the hero who never did anything bad and was surrounded by idiots who never recognized how great he was, but Tony's pretty even handed about things and tells a great story still.

Plus, ya know, it's Tony Schiavone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3YgNxeaDmU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkEdyq3UE5M

Redlettermedia covers one of my favourite films, Starship Troopers.

Starship Troopers is when I started to realize that my tastes in films and the average movie critics' were very different. It's crazy how this film got savaged when it came out.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I don't do much for wres myself, but I know some people who are into OSW Review and rave about it.

Notably, The Bard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP0x8cAPt5I

Though seeing all the recs here, I'm realizing that drat near every wrestling reviewer/personality/whatever uses "What" in some capacity and I don't understand it.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

Jimbot posted:

Starship Troopers is when I started to realize that my tastes in films and the average movie critics' were very different. It's crazy how this film got savaged when it came out.

Sometimes I wonder if irony/satire was just an alien concept to critics and audiences in the 90s. Though to be fair it can be tough to tell something's a satire when the lead actors aren't in on the joke at all.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

It must be. How in the world did no critic notice how the film was satirizing the militarization and proto-fascism of the US? It wasn't exactly subtle with its propaganda videos and shooting/torturing bugs on camera and how people got slaughtered due to incompetence of higher ups.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I don't do much for wres myself, but I know some people who are into OSW Review and rave about it.

Notably, The Bard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP0x8cAPt5I

Though seeing all the recs here, I'm realizing that drat near every wrestling reviewer/personality/whatever uses "What" in some capacity and I don't understand it.

what was something stone cold said in mid conversation during his heel run (i.e. he became a bad guy) starting around 2001 to annoy folks to get people to boo him. since then the croud just chant it all the time during segments where people talk to annoy them. it one of the top annying chants you can do at a wrestling show, up there with chanting we are awasome and that raw in 2016 where the fans start chanted to the female wrestlers that they suck (name of male wrestler they are going out with). so nikki bella got "you suck cena" chants.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Last Week Tonight is back.

There's a non-zero chance John Oliver will be executed in a back alley behind Trump Tower.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Also, some skinny European JonTron got fired from Makertube or something.

http://www.businessinsider.com/disney-cuts-ties-with-pewdiepie-over-anti-semitic-videos-2017-2

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

lornekates posted:

Last Week Tonight is back.

There's a non-zero chance John Oliver will be executed in a back alley behind Trump Tower.

what does this have to do with internet critics?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Cyron posted:

what does this have to do with internet critics?

Most people watch him on YouTube.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

lornekates posted:

http://www.businessinsider.com/disney-cuts-ties-with-pewdiepie-over-anti-semitic-videos-2017-2

Hell the gently caress yes. Screw that bastard who uses "rape" like a poor sop with tourettes.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

I Before E posted:

well that make sense, i only watch Colbert and SNL on YouTube clips anymore anyways. i love that SNL have been just straight up trolling trump lately.

also gently caress pewdiepie, never watched any of his videos and only ever heard of him though random poo poo. i know someone who honestly thought he was a guy south park made up on their show years ago.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 14, 2017

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Cyron posted:

also gently caress pewdiepie, never watched any of his videos and only ever heard of him though random poo poo. i know someone who honestly thought he was a guy south park made up on their show years ago.

I only knew about him from Retsupurae. It wasn't until after they made their video that I started hearing people talk about him in real life.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lornekates posted:

If they're willing to axe pewdiepie, JonTron's probably not far behind.

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

Cyron posted:

hey horrible poster cyron here i am wondering if we can bring up internet critics/podcasters who review wrestling. i recommend any podcast from Kevin Mahon like the attitude era podcast and how2wrestling. https://soundcloud.com/the-attitude-era-podcast

i feel their a good mix of jokes and when poo poo goes down that is horrable they call it out.

My favourite wrestling podcast is sidewalk slam. They just put out their royal Rumble episode yesterday. It is a slower more positive outlook on modern wwe than what culture provides.

https://youtu.be/2MfmE-6Xk3c

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Thompsons posted:

Sometimes I wonder if irony/satire was just an alien concept to critics and audiences in the 90s. Though to be fair it can be tough to tell something's a satire when the lead actors aren't in on the joke at all.

Beth Littleford's review on the Daily Show (Kilbourn era, but still) made fun of Starship Troopers for being pro-fascism. People didn't think Robocop was satire, either.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

Beth Littleford's review on the Daily Show (Kilbourn era, but still) made fun of Starship Troopers for being pro-fascism. People didn't think Robocop was satire, either.

Was every critic Doug Walker?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

In their defense, Hollywood is really dumb. Like, really dumb. It's easy to overlook Verhoven's style because he makes the movie itself complicit in what he's critiquing. It's not like his satirical commercials are at odds with what we see in the narrative.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jack Gladney posted:

Like, I knew this, and i've heard people say it, but everytime I see it written down I have the same visceral reaction of disbelief that I did the first time I heard that people actually think this.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
People not smart enough to recognise satire? I'd buy that for a dollar!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MikeCrotch posted:

Like, I knew this, and i've heard people say it, but everytime I see it written down I have the same visceral reaction of disbelief that I did the first time I heard that people actually think this.

I'm kinda impressed the remake actually managed to carry a degree of the same satire through the TV show segments.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
poor verhoeven thought he was being too on the nose when he had doogie houser walk out in an SS uniform towards the end of the film

starship troopers loving owns

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thompsons posted:

Paul Verhoeven Movies have a tendency to do this, since he's a dark master of human psychology.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jack Gladney posted:

In their defense, Hollywood is really dumb. Like, really dumb. It's easy to overlook Verhoven's style because he makes the movie itself complicit in what he's critiquing. It's not like his satirical commercials are at odds with what we see in the narrative.

Like the bulk of his movies do this though, and he's been around a long time.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The Rifftrax guys still don't know Starship Troopers is supposed to be like that.

Ironside and NPH are totally aware of what movie they're in though.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The Rifftrax guys still don't know Starship Troopers is supposed to be like that.

Have a (real tough) job where they watch movies and make up jokes about them. Professional jokes. Told by professional comedy professionals.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

I Before E posted:

+1.

In the minds of broadcast execs, the first "W" in WWW doesn't apply to anyone in Not-USA-istan. So I don't get most programming (or the ability to watch full shows on network's websites).

So as far as I'm concerned, Last Week Tonight is a ~10 minute long weekly YouTube critique show that does a cold open.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If they're willing to axe pewdiepie, JonTron's probably not far behind.

Not likely; PewDiePie got axed because he was putting anti-semitic "jokes" into his videos on a regular basis, JonTron's only a shitheel when he's off company time.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
idk, now people keep saying Maker's full of nazis because they're not gonna do anything about Jontron. But I'm not PR dude.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Gnome de plume posted:

People not smart enough to recognise satire? I'd buy that for a dollar!

Reminder: Doug Walker didn't know that Last Action Hero was satire.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Leal posted:

There's a long list of things that Doug Walker doesn't know...

Also, things just keep getting worse for poor PewDiePie w/r/t his "Kill All Jews" video: YouTube just spiked his show from their premium content service and is pulling all their advertising of his regular channel. Also, in completely unrelated news, Pewd's little edgelord stunt has garnered him a ton of new support from the actual Internet Nazis, whether he actually wants it or not.

Poor JonTron, the guy can't even court that coveted Nazi audience without someone bigger coming along and undercutting him. Well, I guess that's Internet Show Business :nallears:

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Leal posted:

Last Action Hero is just bad.

Also one of the running problems with Verhoeven's satire is that the takeaway is muddled, it's often unclear what, exactly, he's getting at beyond general irreverence and absurdism.

Something to keep in mind is that his movies are actually kinda bad. They're *amazingly* watchable, but they're also janky and awkward and poorly acted. Hell, you could make a solid argument that half his actors are the victim of his joke, as they don't seem to be aware that their lack of skill is exactly what he's looking for, because he thinks it's funny. This isn't a contradiction, by the way: in many ways his movies are watchable specifically because they are a bit poo poo.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Thompsons posted:

This was the decade that gave us the "Scary Movie" franchise, just to give you an idea of how boat-oar-upside-the-head unsubtle "satire" has to be for a lot of people to recognize it as such.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

LFK posted:

Last Action Hero is just bad.

Also one of the running problems with Verhoeven's satire is that the takeaway is muddled, it's often unclear what, exactly, he's getting at beyond general irreverence and absurdism.

Something to keep in mind is that his movies are actually kinda bad. They're *amazingly* watchable, but they're also janky and awkward and poorly acted. Hell, you could make a solid argument that half his actors are the victim of his joke, as they don't seem to be aware that their lack of skill is exactly what he's looking for, because he thinks it's funny. This isn't a contradiction, by the way: in many ways his movies are watchable specifically because they are a bit poo poo.

That RLM review describes his style really well: his movies are made as if they're propaganda from within the world of the movie. There's no subtlety or depth because propaganda can't handle those things. They're all lit like a tv show because they're not trying to be art, but utilitarian tools with unmistakable clarity.

That's really unlike most satire, really, which usually gives you some tells that it's in on the joke so that you know that you're in on the joke too.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

EndOfTheWorld posted:

This was the decade that gave us the "Scary Movie" franchise, just to give you an idea of how boat-oar-upside-the-head unsubtle "satire" has to be for a lot of people to recognize it as such.

scary movie 1 came out 2000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I thought Pewdiepie had gotten better about not being a shitheel on videos? Not that I care either way, having never sat through any of his solo stuff, but I'd heard he'd made a change for the better after people pointed out his shittiness. Though I suppose it's not a big surprise that someone who already did clueless edgy humor went back to that well.

• Locked thread