Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm alright now, it's all cleared up. It was just that I read Mistborn vol 3 like over a year ago, so I'd forgotten some of the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm alright now, it's all cleared up. It was just that I read Mistborn vol 3 like over a year ago, so I'd forgotten some of the ending.

One thing I think is neat is that theoretically MISTBORN 1 SPOILERS If Sazed wasn't a cool dude he could easily have become Discord, Discomfort, Stasis, Confusion, Catharsis or some other crazy shard combo. Lets see how long Harmony lasts. poo poo Purification would be brutal for the Cosmere.

TGG fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 8, 2024

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Something I can't get over is (Sunlit Man Spoilers) that how feared the Roshar Ideals are. I was reading about spaceships, hovercycles, guns, etc., etc. and I thought to myself, "Man, our favorite Roshar characters are gonna have to play a monster game of catch-up to keep up with all these other worlds." Only then to read that these advanced Scadrian scientists are like, "Oh poo poo. Sigzil has a Shardblade." Now I'm asking myself, "So, how powerful are Dalinar, Navani, Jasnah, and Kaladin gonna end up being in terms of power level throughout the Cosmere?"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
One thing I wonder with regard to Shardblades (general Stormlight/Cosmere spoilers) Shardblades kill anything they touch - I'm speaking about limbs with this. That's the real scary thing about Shardblades. One touch and you're hosed. Mistborn can take hits and deliver hits with other Mistborn, but a Shardblade? Immediately hosed.

In WoR we see that Stormlight heals Shardblade damage. Is that exclusive to Stormlight or a quality of Investiture in general?

Stormlight seems disproportionately powerful if it's the only type of Investiture that is ultrahealing. Allomancy can't heal. It can just allow you to survive longer. Feurochemy can heal to an extent, if you have it stored up. Very easy to run out of that. But can it heal a Shardblade cut? For Breathe, it seems like Divine Breath can heal, but common breath can't.

Would Unkeyed Investiture give turbo healing?

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I mean (Stormlight Spoilers): We even see Lift reviving a dead Yanagawn. And that was just Stormlight alone. Not like where Wax died and had to have all the powers of Feruchemy + Allomancy to revive him.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Mordiceius posted:

Feurochemy can heal to an extent, if you have it stored up. Very easy to run out of that. But can it heal a Shardblade cut?

Yes, it can. (links contain some general Cosmere spoilers, but should be Mord-safe at this point)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

pik_d posted:

(All Mistborn Era 1) There is no rule that one type of power has to come from one shard. I feel like Feruchemy was formed when Scadrial was created by Ati and Leras, probably by both of them since it sits in the middle of the "end positive" that is Allomancy and "end negative" that is Hemalurgy.

I've always felt that Feruchemy was the art of Preservation because it feels more like Preservation than Allomancy does. Allomancy feels like it should be the art of both Ruin and Preservation combined, since the two together can create what each power cannot on it's own. Yet Lerasium in the books gives allomancy so it's obviously not true. And there is no explanation for Feruchemy, where it comes from, if there is a metal or other process that can bestow it. In a way it's the most mysterious of the three arts.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've always felt that Feruchemy was the art of Preservation because it feels more like Preservation than Allomancy does. Allomancy feels like it should be the art of both Ruin and Preservation combined, since the two together can create what each power cannot on it's own. Yet Lerasium in the books gives allomancy so it's obviously not true. And there is no explanation for Feruchemy, where it comes from, if there is a metal or other process that can bestow it. In a way it's the most mysterious of the three arts.

I think it makes semse to look at it as with feruchemy you ruin yourself in order to preserve your power and crrate a metalmind

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Full Mistborn Era 1 spoilers As for the Koloss - yeah, their situation is odd in Era 2 and hardly touched on. They seem to be mostly a tribal society that lives in the wastelands? I feel like that's one area of Era 2 that is underdeveloped.

Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania addresses it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

its HIM posted:

Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania addresses it.

I would not call an Allomancer Jak production to be an authoritative source. That's like claiming that the Adam West Batman show is an authoritative source on criminal activity. I'm not sure what, if anything, from that story can be taken as "true" to Scadrial.

There's some curious elements to it at the end, the Jak grabs a chest full of Koloss spikes, which they're excited so they can reproduce again. So then are Koloss still made by spiking people? How does that make any sense with regard to half-koloss/koloss-blooded people. I feel like the presence of Koloss post-Era 1 is awkward at best and I'm curious to what degree they'll have a presence in the stories going forward. Personally, I think Brandon should have gone with "Harmony wiped out all the Koloss when remaking the world."

mewse
May 2, 2006

Half koloss people are only half spiked, obviously

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Koloss post-Ascension work like this: You have the Koloss-blooded, who are descended from other Koloss-blooded and/or full Koloss (it's not totally clear to me). On adulthood they're given the choice to become full Koloss and given spikes to complete the transformation

Presumably they still have the issue where they're subject to the influence of Harmony that the kandra do, as anything pierced by a sufficient number of spikes is

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

I would not call an Allomancer Jak production to be an authoritative source. That's like claiming that the Adam West Batman show is an authoritative source on criminal activity. I'm not sure what, if anything, from that story can be taken as "true" to Scadrial.

Jak exaggerates his exploits for sure, but WOB is that it is accurate with respect to Koloss reproduction. DarkHorse's explanation succinctly nails it.

Mordiceius posted:

I feel like the presence of Koloss post-Era 1 is awkward at best and I'm curious to what degree they'll have a presence in the stories going forward. Personally, I think Brandon should have gone with "Harmony wiped out all the Koloss when remaking the world."

Heh.(Mistborn Era 2) Sazed is not much into genocide, for obvious reasons.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

its HIM posted:

Jak exaggerates his exploits for sure, but WOB is that it is accurate with respect to Koloss reproduction. DarkHorse's explanation succinctly nails it.

Ah. Okay. And diving into the Coppermind Wiki, it has this to say about Era 2 Koloss:

After Harmony's Ascension the koloss were transformed into a tribal race that could breed, which lived in the Roughs. As a true breeding race, koloss raise koloss-blooded children. Those who chose can turn into full koloss at the age of twelve in a coming-of-age ritual where they choose to accept the requisite spikes or not. Those who do not accept the spikes leave, and live outside the tribe. Additionally, outsiders can choose to become koloss through this ritual. The koloss as a people have made a vow not to harm the Terris people, which entitles Terrismen to safety and a degree of respect amongst the koloss.

The changes in the koloss and their breeding subsequently allowed some koloss-blooded to become Allomancers. How this is achieved is unknown, but koloss with the powers of Allomancy appear to be known in the Roughs enough to be recognized.

Since the koloss are no longer required to fight for anybody, they are able to live longer lives. This allows for the development of koloss ancients, who have little to no skin at all. They are enormous, have no noses or lips, and their eyes appear to bulge. They survive only by wrapping themselves in leather to keep in their blood. While their intelligence is still at the level of the average koloss, they are looked after by the tribe and given respect similar to that of a tribal elder.

I do wish we would have gotten more time with them in Era 2.

After spending so much time with Roshar via the Stormlight Archive, it makes Scadrial feel somewhat underdeveloped comparatively.

On the subject of Scadrial and it's society and geography -

We know that there is the Elendel Basin, surrounded by the Roughs and beyond that a bunch of wasteland. Then you have the southern Scadrial society. Is... that it? Basically the world is made up of two pseudo-nations? (Granted, it seems like Southern Scadrial is somewhat a confederation of nations?) I know Roshar is one single mega-continent. Is Scadrial the same way?

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013
The Coppermind has a good Scadrial map that was published in TLM. WOB: "it's not a full world map" and re: Era 3 "we should be able to get the entire world map by then"... So likely there is going to be more than the two currently known continents.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mordiceius posted:

After spending so much time with Roshar via the Stormlight Archive, it makes Scadrial feel somewhat underdeveloped comparatively.
I think that's an intended reaction.

Era 2 spoilers: Scadrians being so incredibly Elendel Basin-centric that nothing outside of it really exists at all in their minds starts out as Era 2 subtext (the "Roughs" aren't, the Basin is just so ridiculously fertile that nobody's ever bothered to invent basic agriculture) and ends up as significant plot points, with the Southerners completely blindsiding everyone just by existing and the obviously growing nascent rebellion from the cities that are not Elendel.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

its HIM posted:

Heh.(Mistborn Era 2) Sazed is not much into genocide, for obvious reasons.

He could have just healed them instead

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

Tunicate posted:

He could have just healed them instead

You have a Tuvix situation here, right? (Mistborn Era 2) Except instead of just one individual you're considering turning back into an essentially different person, you've got multiple tribes of them who have developed a distinct and unique culture over centuries. Sazed made a different choice than Janeway did because he didn't want to wipe that culture out.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I know I'm definitely the first person to ever say this statement but goddamn should Adolin/Shallan/Kaladin just be a throuple.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

its HIM posted:

You have a Tuvix situation here, right? (Mistborn Era 2) Except instead of just one individual you're considering turning back into an essentially different person, you've got multiple tribes of them who have developed a distinct and unique culture over centuries. Sazed made a different choice than Janeway did because he didn't want to wipe that culture out.

Koloss didn't know how to create other koloss until WoA, all the ones that were around were forcibly transformed people. And we see in secret history killing a koloss has a normal looking dude's cognitive shaow show up.

Sazed is just a dick

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Mordiceius posted:

I know I'm definitely the first person to ever say this statement but goddamn should Adolin/Shallan/Kaladin just be a throuple.

:emptyquote:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mordiceius posted:

Sanderson's WoB on it is funny, at least: Shallan's in, obviously, and Adolin would go for it too, but Kaladin is "as much as prude as I [meaning Sanderson] am" and he wouldn't agree.

Notice how nothing in that response says anything about Kaladin not being into dudes (or, at the very least, Adolin).

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

CapnAndy posted:

Sanderson's WoB on it is funny, at least: Shallan's in, obviously, and Adolin would go for it too, but Kaladin is "as much as prude as I [meaning Sanderson] am" and he wouldn't agree.

Notice how nothing in that response says anything about Kaladin not being into dudes (or, at the very least, Adolin).

Kaladin: Severe Depression / Anxiety
Shallan: DID

Adolin: ?

Adolin is not mentally-broken enough.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Laughing at the idea of Syl, Pattern, and Maya all cheering encouragement from the headboard

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Mordiceius posted:

One thing I wonder with regard to Shardblades (general Stormlight/Cosmere spoilers) Shardblades kill anything they touch - I'm speaking about limbs with this. That's the real scary thing about Shardblades. One touch and you're hosed. Mistborn can take hits and deliver hits with other Mistborn, but a Shardblade? Immediately hosed.

In WoR we see that Stormlight heals Shardblade damage. Is that exclusive to Stormlight or a quality of Investiture in general?

Stormlight seems disproportionately powerful if it's the only type of Investiture that is ultrahealing. Allomancy can't heal. It can just allow you to survive longer. Feurochemy can heal to an extent, if you have it stored up. Very easy to run out of that. But can it heal a Shardblade cut? For Breathe, it seems like Divine Breath can heal, but common breath can't.

Would Unkeyed Investiture give turbo healing?

I think in general healing can be done with (spoilers for everything) Investiture in any form. But I think the key difference between the Metallic Arts and Stormlight (and Breath, for that matter) is that Stormlight actually Invests the person. You breathe it in and now you are Invested. With Allomancy, Feruchemy, and Hemalurgy, on the other hand, the power comes from the metal, and because of that, it has to be used for the metal's specific purpose and nothing else. The power cannot simply sit inside a person and Invest them personally.

Breaths also Invest the person, and Warbreaker states that people with many Breaths are resistant to toxins and disease and the Fifth Heightening grants literal agelessness, which seems to line up with the healing powers most other highly Invested people have. It's probably just that one Breath isn't really enough to do anything meaningful. IIRC we've never really seen anyone with, like, twenty Breaths--only people with one, zero, or "a shitload". So I don't think you can say that regular Breath can't heal. You just need a lot of them.

Future speculation, spoilers for everything: It does seem like one of the abilities unique to Roshar is that Radiants can "take" Investiture from nearby even if they don't currently have any. Scadrians need metal, and Nalthians can only gain Breath by having it willingly and consciously given to them by someone else. It hasn't been confirmed, but my theory is that Radiants can technically take in Investiture from anywhere, as long as it's Investiture that isn't already Connected to someone else. We can't tell in Stormlight Archive because the only Investiture available on Roshar is Light. But in a sense, Light basically is unkeyed Investiture, isn't it? Any Radiant can take a sphere and breathe the Light in.

I'm guessing that's why the first question the Scadrians ask Sigzil in Sunlit Man is whether he's taken the oaths. Take away a Scadrian's metals and they're powerless. Take away a Radiant's Light and there's no way to stop them from breathing more Investiture in if it's around--and I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of Scadrian tech in the space era runs on Investiture. I wonder if that will be the centerpiece of the Scadrial/Roshar conflict: Scadrial using technology to desperately try to catch up with Rosharans who can just breathe in Investiture and summon soul-destroying weapons at will.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

M_Gargantua posted:

Hoid is the only human.

Teravangian is played by Kermit.

Elmo is Szeth

Oscar is Rayse

Animal is Dalinar

Adolin is the only human, as the guest cameo who ends up stealing the show.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I think in general healing can be done with (spoilers for everything) Investiture in any form. But I think the key difference between the Metallic Arts and Stormlight (and Breath, for that matter) is that Stormlight actually Invests the person. You breathe it in and now you are Invested. With Allomancy, Feruchemy, and Hemalurgy, on the other hand, the power comes from the metal, and because of that, it has to be used for the metal's specific purpose and nothing else. The power cannot simply sit inside a person and Invest them personally.

Breaths also Invest the person, and Warbreaker states that people with many Breaths are resistant to toxins and disease and the Fifth Heightening grants literal agelessness, which seems to line up with the healing powers most other highly Invested people have. It's probably just that one Breath isn't really enough to do anything meaningful. IIRC we've never really seen anyone with, like, twenty Breaths--only people with one, zero, or "a shitload". So I don't think you can say that regular Breath can't heal. You just need a lot of them.

Future speculation, spoilers for everything: It does seem like one of the abilities unique to Roshar is that Radiants can "take" Investiture from nearby even if they don't currently have any. Scadrians need metal, and Nalthians can only gain Breath by having it willingly and consciously given to them by someone else. It hasn't been confirmed, but my theory is that Radiants can technically take in Investiture from anywhere, as long as it's Investiture that isn't already Connected to someone else. We can't tell in Stormlight Archive because the only Investiture available on Roshar is Light. But in a sense, Light basically is unkeyed Investiture, isn't it? Any Radiant can take a sphere and breathe the Light in.

I'm guessing that's why the first question the Scadrians ask Sigzil in Sunlit Man is whether he's taken the oaths. Take away a Scadrian's metals and they're powerless. Take away a Radiant's Light and there's no way to stop them from breathing more Investiture in if it's around--and I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of Scadrian tech in the space era runs on Investiture. I wonder if that will be the centerpiece of the Scadrial/Roshar conflict: Scadrial using technology to desperately try to catch up with Rosharans who can just breathe in Investiture and summon soul-destroying weapons at will.

Small correction: The metal isn't the source of the Investiture, it's simply a catalyst or access key for it. You have to be a person who can burn the metal (based on your Spirit Web) and have the metal in you (catalyst) but the investiture comes from the Spirit Realm and still imbues the person with a (filtered, "flavored" version of) power

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Finished Mistborn: Shadows of Self.
Man

Harmony what did you loving think would happen when ya boy found out that his wife was actually an undercover shapeshifter, and actually still alive?
For a god you're kind dumb.

I assume that the threat that Harmony is trying to prepare Scadrail for is the same group that was trying to worm itself onto the island for those future glimpsing parrots on Sixth of the Dusk. The ones with the prime directive against interference with less advanced societies.

I presume is the same group that Hoid comes from which is why he's always so circumspect about his interference.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Nitrousoxide posted:

Finished Mistborn: Shadows of Self.
Man

For a god you're kind dumb.

Boy, if you think he is this dumb now… RAFO

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Ten days later and part 4 is done.

OATHBRINGER PART 4

Part 4 was very enjoyable. Not quite the power house of Part 3, but a deep breath before the storm, so to speak.

Let's start with the Dalinar flashbacks - what a depressing man. An incredible portrait of an alcoholic too. The first flashback in this section was so good. Him wandering Kholinar rambling about how Gavilar hid his booze only to listen in on the conversation for the reader to hear about how Dalinar has been drinking it all and forgetting and blaming everyone else. Fantastic use of an unreliable narrator to drive that home. Every Dalinar flashback chapter is just incredible at driving home what a miserable, pathetic man he is during this time. His outburst towards Adolin and Renarin is... rough. I wonder if anyone with alcoholic parents found the Dalinar flashbacks triggering.

Shadesmar - I don't have much to share about this part. It was cool. At times I had trouble picturing things because everything is so completely weird and different. Like, I know there's an eternal false sun in the sky, but like does it feel like daylight? A lot of art makes it look like the area is in eternal night with the "sun" being like a brighter moon. I don't feel like we had a ton of revolutionary aspects in this. It was cool to see, very alien, but this felt more just like these characters on a physical journey vs a journey of self-discovery. I did like Kaladin finally getting to his wits end with the Honorspren. Also Adolin's confession and Shallan just saying "good for you."

Dalinar & crew in the present - Stuff is moving. Other than the major revelations at the end, this section felt a lot like moving pieces into place for the big finale. I feel like this Sanderlanche is going to be a doozy. Part 5 is 7 hours long in this audiobook, compared to the prior books being around 3-4 hours long. Plus, one of those chapters is 2 hours long alone.

The "we're the true colonists" reveal is something I had, unfortunately, had previously spoiled to me from a friend that gets too excited about things.

I do not like Venli. I am wondering if Rhythm of War will change my opinion.

I want to go to Shinovar!!!!! I feel like that has to be centrally important to book 5, right?

Since I am nearing the end of book 3, I've been trying to speculate what I'll get for books 4 and 5. Each book needs to be a bit of an escalation, because that's how he always does is. The climax of Oathbringer will clearly be in Thaylenah and I doubt we do anything much beyond that. For book 4? I know it's a Venli book, so I can only begin to imagine how she gets more integrated into things. Will she join the Dalinar crew? I'd have to assume so or else that would make RoW feel like two halves of a book smashed together. For the core plot of book 4, I guess I would assume that we'll get some retaliation for whatever happens in Thaylenah. The EmpireFused Strike Back. Maybe a counter attack on Urithiru? But I bet Dalinar and crew push for the liberation of various nations on Roshar. (maybe even reclaiming Alethkar?)

I doubt we go to Shinovar in book 4. That feels like a Book 5 thing, since that's the Szeth book. My guess is that a lot of book 5 ends up revolving around Shinovar (they still have 8 Honorblades there). Watch Shinovar basically turn out to be a Rosharan Wakanda. I would not be surprised if Book 5 took us to Ashyn or Braise as well.

I'd like more Shadesmar too. I think the cover of Book 4 shows Shallan in Shadesmar, so I feel like I'll get my wish there.

Currently: Part 3 > Part 1/4 >>> Part 2

I suspect part 5 will not take me long, I'm champing at the bit to get through it.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

Ten days later and part 4 is done.

OATHBRINGER PART 4

Part 4 was very enjoyable. Not quite the power house of Part 3, but a deep breath before the storm, so to speak.

Let's start with the Dalinar flashbacks - what a depressing man. An incredible portrait of an alcoholic too. The first flashback in this section was so good. Him wandering Kholinar rambling about how Gavilar hid his booze only to listen in on the conversation for the reader to hear about how Dalinar has been drinking it all and forgetting and blaming everyone else. Fantastic use of an unreliable narrator to drive that home. Every Dalinar flashback chapter is just incredible at driving home what a miserable, pathetic man he is during this time. His outburst towards Adolin and Renarin is... rough. I wonder if anyone with alcoholic parents found the Dalinar flashbacks triggering.

Shadesmar - I don't have much to share about this part. It was cool. At times I had trouble picturing things because everything is so completely weird and different. Like, I know there's an eternal false sun in the sky, but like does it feel like daylight? A lot of art makes it look like the area is in eternal night with the "sun" being like a brighter moon. I don't feel like we had a ton of revolutionary aspects in this. It was cool to see, very alien, but this felt more just like these characters on a physical journey vs a journey of self-discovery. I did like Kaladin finally getting to his wits end with the Honorspren. Also Adolin's confession and Shallan just saying "good for you."

Dalinar & crew in the present - Stuff is moving. Other than the major revelations at the end, this section felt a lot like moving pieces into place for the big finale. I feel like this Sanderlanche is going to be a doozy. Part 5 is 7 hours long in this audiobook, compared to the prior books being around 3-4 hours long. Plus, one of those chapters is 2 hours long alone.

The "we're the true colonists" reveal is something I had, unfortunately, had previously spoiled to me from a friend that gets too excited about things.

I do not like Venli. I am wondering if Rhythm of War will change my opinion.

I want to go to Shinovar!!!!! I feel like that has to be centrally important to book 5, right?

Since I am nearing the end of book 3, I've been trying to speculate what I'll get for books 4 and 5. Each book needs to be a bit of an escalation, because that's how he always does is. The climax of Oathbringer will clearly be in Thaylenah and I doubt we do anything much beyond that. For book 4? I know it's a Venli book, so I can only begin to imagine how she gets more integrated into things. Will she join the Dalinar crew? I'd have to assume so or else that would make RoW feel like two halves of a book smashed together. For the core plot of book 4, I guess I would assume that we'll get some retaliation for whatever happens in Thaylenah. The EmpireFused Strike Back. Maybe a counter attack on Urithiru? But I bet Dalinar and crew push for the liberation of various nations on Roshar. (maybe even reclaiming Alethkar?)

I doubt we go to Shinovar in book 4. That feels like a Book 5 thing, since that's the Szeth book. My guess is that a lot of book 5 ends up revolving around Shinovar (they still have 8 Honorblades there). Watch Shinovar basically turn out to be a Rosharan Wakanda. I would not be surprised if Book 5 took us to Ashyn or Braise as well.

I'd like more Shadesmar too. I think the cover of Book 4 shows Shallan in Shadesmar, so I feel like I'll get my wish there.

Currently: Part 3 > Part 1/4 >>> Part 2

I suspect part 5 will not take me long, I'm champing at the bit to get through it.

There are lots of good predictions and lots of bad predictions, but that is okay. RAFO and enjoy Part 5 of Oathbringer. It is arguably my favorite part of any Stormlight book.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I always imagined Shadesmar as like being in a total solar eclipse. The sun is black with a brilliant white ring around it, the sky is black, things are dim like twilight, but there are sharp shadows everywhere and you can still see clearly

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

I always imagined Shadesmar as like being in a total solar eclipse. The sun is black with a brilliant white ring around it, the sky is black, things are dim like twilight, but there are sharp shadows everywhere and you can still see clearly

Yeah. I kinda feel like it's the equivalent of when you see day-for-night in film/tv (aka, it's clear that everything was shot during the day, but there's kinda a dark filter over everything dimming things).

Tangent - fun fact about day-for-night in film/TV: the best way to tell if something is shot that way is to look at things in the distance. In true night time, even if the area is lit by a bunch of lights, things in the far distance will still be heavily shadowed and dark. If something looks very distinguishable despite how dark the screen loots, it was probably shot during the day. Also, see if you can see sun reflections on people's heads. Day-for-night is best shot during cloudy days, but sometimes you can't help it.

Example:

This is clearly day for night as look as much detail you can see throughout the frame.

In comparison to:

This has been your lesson on Day for Night.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

DarkHorse posted:

drat, I didn’t really put this together at the time, but my experience of the eclipse a few weeks ago was absolutely awe-inspiring and weird in the way Shadesmar sounds.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

Mordiceius posted:

PROGRESS!

OATHBRINGER - PART 2

I just finished part 2 so I'll piggyback this post

quote:

Fuckin Moash. I know that's a repeated sentiment here but goddamn, fuckin Moash. Overall, there were way too many Moash chapters. A full 20% of the chapters in this part are Moash chapters.

Highest possible disagreement here - Moash is doing something very important for the plot, imo - we need a previously established character to get involved more with the bad guys somehow. We need to see what is going on, and we need someone we have an investment in to be part of that. Moash scenes seem to be accomplishing this well, and should bring these villains into the main story with more stakes. I wish there were more!

quote:

Dalinar Flashbacks - I love how the tone of the flashbacks kinda shift. In the early Dalinar flashbacks, it was "haha look at this funny barbarian man walking through the highstorm for a knife" and by later flashbacks it's "boy this guy is a piece of poo poo abusive husband." I still don't know what happened for him to want to get Evi's memory erased by I have a guess. The way that The Thrill manifests in Dalinar reminds me of video-gamey bloodlust. My guess is that Dalinar drinks too deep of The Thrill and ends up murdering Evi (Dalinar is Kratos).

The way you phrased this was spot on - the way tone is played with in those chapters is very interesting. We are building to a blockbuster moment, and I can't wait. Will be interesting to see if how we feel about Dalinar changes once we know the truth about him. All of our three leads having their own version of a complicated past is probably my favorite part of the story. I think I may do a re-read of just the flashbacks at some point.

quote:

Jasnah -Her calling Amaram a pig-fucker was very good. Shallan's reaction to Jasnah's eviscerating of Amaram perfectly mirrored my own.

I want to hang out with her

quote:

Renarin - I want more time with him. There's some weird poo poo going on with him and his spren and I would much rather have a Renarin chapter than another Moash chapter.

Strongly feel like he is going to die before the end of the book.

quote:

Shallan - I've really enjoyed her fractured psyche. Her alternate personalities are definitely solidifying more and I am loving here for her descent into madness. Shallan loving rules. Dalinar may be my favorite Stormlight character but Shallan is the one I get most excited for, if that make sense.

She's not my favorite yet, but her multiple sides of her personality are getting it there. The way we are showing the different ideas of 'what do I want' manifesting differently is great. Excited for the different personalities to have differing love interests.

quote:

Lift - is awesome.

I'm not there yet, but that last moment asking Dalinar about the food his people cooked was a fun scene

Dalinar meeting Odium was a well done version of a pretty standard trope of our hero meeting the ultimate evil. Very similar to WoT, but just different of it to be it's own thing. :nice:

quote:

The Heralds & Voidbringers/Fused - I don't know if I'm fully grasping the details that were given. I'm sure that's by intention. I think I get the how, but not sure I get the why. Again, probably intentional. So please correct me if I'm wrong in this.

Currently how I understand it:
- The term Voidbringers seems somewhat interchangeable with Fused. Sure, the Listeners/Parshendi/Parshmen make up the Voidbringer army, but they aren't themselves Voidbringers. The Fused are the real Voidbringers.
- Storm Form = Fused? Was Eshonai a Fused when she took Storm Form?
- The Fused respawn when they "die." Cognitive Shadows? The "spren" that turn into Fused are ancient Listener souls?
- The Fused souls can get trapped - somewhere - Damnation? I think the Arcanum Unbounded referred to this as another planet in the system?
- But the Fused souls only get trapped their if there is a Herald to be tortured? Or something?
- When all the Fused are trapped in Damnation, all the Heralds have to "die" to go to Damnation to get tortured?
- As soon as a Herald breaks from torture, a Desolation begins.

What I'm confused about :
- If none of the Heralds have "died" and are in Torture Realm, how did they keep the Fused from respawning?
- How do the Heralds/Fused get teleported to Torture Realm?
- Why do the Heralds have to stay in Torture Realm getting tortured?
- Why did the ancient listener souls become spren that can respawn?

Very much appreciate this post to organize where we are with the lore at this point. I mostly understand all of this as we should to this point, but would absolutely not be able to place these ideas together so clearly. I admire people who

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

81sidewinder posted:

Very much appreciate this post to organize where we are with the lore at this point. I mostly understand all of this as we should to this point, but would absolutely not be able to place these ideas together so clearly. I admire people who

Can complete thoughts? :haw:

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

immoral_ posted:

Can complete thoughts? :haw:

Absolutely admire people who speak in complete sentences, yes :bisonyes:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Bands of Mourning:

This lady with the braided hair asking Wax about his misting powers seems like her understanding of physics might be a bit too advanced for the development of the Scadrial. She mentions redshift for the time slowing and speeding up powers which requires a theory of relativity, and I've not seen any indication they have reached that yet, though Scadrial is getting pretty close to when we did ourselves.

I put it at a 50/50 whether this person is from elsewhere in the Cosmere or if Sanderson is just shuffling around when they figure stuff out on Scadrial.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

Bands of Mourning:

This lady with the braided hair asking Wax about his misting powers seems like her understanding of physics might be a bit too advanced for the development of the Scadrial. She mentions redshift for the time slowing and speeding up powers which requires a theory of relativity, and I've not seen any indication they have reached that yet, though Scadrial is getting pretty close to when we did ourselves.

I put it at a 50/50 whether this person is from elsewhere in the Cosmere or if Sanderson is just shuffling around when they figure stuff out on Scadrial.

They don’t have radio, their “scientists” have no loving idea about the Doppler effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

They've got electricity, so it's in principle possible for them to have developed the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arc_converter or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark-gap_transmitter on purpose or accident. But yeah, they are likely a few decades too early to have encountered the physical processes that would lead one to develop a theory of relativity

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 12, 2024