Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

PoptartsNinja posted:

Especially considering one of the Black Thorns got kicked out of a Capellan Warrior House for being too much of an rear end in a top hat.
How is that even possible? I thought being an rear end in a top hat with a Mech was the fast track to promotion in the CC, so how incompetent does somebody have to be to gently caress up something like that? Oh right, it's the author trying to pathetically establish a character as a "badass" or some stupid poo poo as a poor substitute for actual characterization.

PoptartsNinja posted:

and it’s a good thing none of his troops are spiteful asshats because I could see a goon totally walking through the building in question simply because they’ve ‘seen bigger.’

I'm not going to lie. I would totes do that if I had a battlemech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Utter retardation

God I hate the Black Thorns.

If you're going to be doing a military job you have a chain of command of somebody to give you orders to tell you what to do, and you know where you are in the scheme of things. I'd imagine mercenaries are more "loose" in terms of discipline since they're not in a formal military organization, but at the end of the day they're still doing a military's job and there's some basic poo poo to make sure that the jobs of "not loving dying" and "killing the enemy" is covered.

And this even goes for the Bristol and its civilian crew. poo poo, even modern day civilian boats uses set sleep/work shifts, and since DropShips are an analogue for them you'd see the same thing there. But oh, wait, McCloud is smitten with such a daring rogue in Jeremiah Rose, so all semblance of discipline needed in working a ship flying through the most hazardous environment known to mankind goes out the loving window. I guess.

Also, speaking from a common sense angle, I'd say that it'd be useful to set the day/night cycles to whatever the target planet's local standard is.

Finally, I just want to say that the Black Thorns getting torched on Galedon is the single greatest thing to come out of the WOB Jihad storyline.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
What the gently caress is SD doing?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Holybat posted:

God I hate the Black Thorns.

If you're going to be doing a military job you have a chain of command of somebody to give you orders to tell you what to do, and you know where you are in the scheme of things. I'd imagine mercenaries are more "loose" in terms of discipline since they're not in a formal military organization, but at the end of the day they're still doing a military's job and there's some basic poo poo to make sure that the jobs of "not loving dying" and "killing the enemy" is covered.

Well, a chain of command primarily exists to delegate responsibilities and ensure an orderly transition of command if someone dies. Since Mary-Sue characters always have to do everything themselves and never die, they don't really need one.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Keru posted:

What the gently caress is SD doing?

Completely missing the point, it looks like.

Now my question is: if everyone was going to move on so far ahead instead of playing it cautious and consolidating for a turn like I was suggesting, why didn't anybody feel any particular burning need to give me a warning heads-up in the panic room?

For the record, my plan was to back up a hex and have Serill back up behind me, under the belief that we were about to face OMG Dracs down that road, and I wanted us to get some space to run-up our movement mods.

On the other hand, someone has to put this Jenner down, since these Dracs aren't ejecting when their 'mechs are hosed and the rest of Goonstar seems to be really great at blowing off limbs and leaving walking torsos stumbling around.

A walking SRM-4 stumbling into the back of the field would be bad.

[e]Oh for gently caress's sake you assholes, like nobody else in this LP ever made a mistaken or strange play out of a misunderstanding? Leave my loving avatar alone!

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Serril asked if anyone had any objections to him moving up to that spot in the 'panic room'.

Edit: I'm guessing someone is taking offense at your style of Clan playing.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
That's hilarious, if a little bit cruel. :v:

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
The only thing that both of you backing up would have accomplished, would have been both of you getting stuck behind the Panther and isolated more from the other units. Also, you have a 2 piloting unit, I don't think getting good move mods is a problem for you even on this map.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

It's kind of a different thing to make a mistake or misinterpret an action and running away from a crippled tech 1 Panther with no arms, especially if you're the ilkhan.

That's... that's not a good sign for his future as ilkhan of anything, word gets out.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Keru posted:

Serril asked if anyone had any objections to him moving up to that spot in the 'panic room'.

I missed it because he put it in after I had sent in my orders and while I was off fighting a war in Skyrim.

Maybe we should wait until everyone has the final game-plan and only then send in our orders as a group?

Keru posted:

It's kind of a different thing to make a mistake or misinterpret an action and running away from a crippled tech 1 Panther with no arms, especially if you're the ilkhan.

That's... that's not a good sign for his future as ilkhan of anything, word gets out.

I wasn't running away from anything, I was backing up to get some room for a charge. And S8 is a Jenner, man.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I missed it because he put it in after I had sent in my orders and while I was off fighting a war in Skyrim.

Maybe we should wait until everyone has the final game-plan and only then send in our orders as a group?

I wasn't running away from anything, I was backing up to get some room for a charge. And S8 is a Jenner, man.

What?

S8 Panther 4 <--- that's what you're facing.

Scurrilous
Sep 2, 2006
evolutionary throwback
^^^ S8 PNT-9R Panther 4

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

S5 through S8 are Panthers, S2 and 3 are the Jenners. For reference.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
"John, I'm just not sure the communication is there between the offensive line and the quarterback. Luthien City is a notoriously loud arena with some boisterous fans, even in the first period, and I just don't know that the audibles are being heard by the tackles let alone his receivers! So when the quarterback takes a seven step drop, and his linemen are charging forward to block for a run that isn't coming- that's when you have to show some faaaancy footwork to avoid the huge sack. This crowd is really making their presence felt."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Guys, I know your all arguing, but I'm calling it now, Spider wins. Spiders always win :colbert: The key is always in the spider. :smug:

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 28, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Keru posted:

What?

S8 Panther 4 <--- that's what you're facing.

... Doh. Riight! I thought he was the... Nevermind. He'll die either way. I was confused by the jumping, I didn't think Panthers had jump jets.

A jumping SRM-4 behind the star isn't a good thing. I'll take care of him and catch the rest up, I have the speed for it.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Mukaikubo posted:

"John, I'm just not sure the communication is there between the offensive line and the quarterback. Luthien City is a notoriously loud arena with some boisterous fans, even in the first period, and I just don't know that the audibles are being heard by the tackles let alone his receivers! So when the quarterback takes a seven step drop, and his linemen are charging forward to block for a run that isn't coming- that's when you have to show some faaaancy footwork to avoid the huge sack. This crowd is really making their presence felt."

"Now Al, see, now that's the kind of adversity good teams can overcome. If you want to win games in the National Football League, you know, if you want to put points on the scoreboard, you have to be able to deal with this sort of thing! I mean, Brett, Brett Favre was always really good in these kinds of situations, see, he was a real playmaker. I just don't see that kind of poise and focus on this team right now."

Spencerb
Apr 16, 2005
I've never watched a football game in my life, but I still find the colour commentary hilarious.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

What is this, FreeBirth? :colbert:

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

the JJ posted:

What is this, FreeBirth? :colbert:

He's Al Michaels right now. I'm fairly sure Al Michaels is not a Clanner.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Fraction Jackson posted:

Now I am just imagining trashborn Al Michaels and John Madden providing commentary for the football Trial of Possession.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Fraction Jackson posted:

He might be! :psyduck: It all fits.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Fraction Jackson posted:

"Now Al, see, now that's the kind of adversity good teams can overcome. If you want to win games in the National Football League, you know, if you want to put points on the scoreboard, you have to be able to deal with this sort of thing! I mean, Brett, Brett Favre was always really good in these kinds of situations, see, he was a real playmaker. I just don't see that kind of poise and focus on this team right now."

"A trend that's caught my eye in the last few seasons, and you'd know this better than I would John, is rushing quarterbacks flush from running all over inferior opposition coming up to the next level and trying to do the same thing against more athletic, better prepared defenses. Now that defender out there, he's clearly playing hurt, and still almost got the sack. You have to wonder if the lightbulb will ever go on and he'll start relying on his arm to make plays, rather than trying to run away from tackles and extend plays with his legs while his offensive line mills around in confusion."

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
Thanks John MaddenFractionJackson for your hard hitting analysis.

With ilkhan taking one for the team and staying back to fight crippled limbless light mechs, that leaves the rest of you free to tackle the brunt of their forces!

P5: Looks like your only move is to run 5 forward (and maybe turn right 1 facing if you want to get a headstart on next turns moves) and start murdering some mechs.

P4: Because of your glorious leaders actions you can ignore S6 and join your starmates in valiant battle. If you jump 5 you can make it to P5s current location and facing for shots on the 3 light mechs up the road. This keeps them from advancing too far next turn as you'll be able to meet them wherever they go.

P3-2: You can either run down a blocked street into 3 mechs or try running NE to pressure the northern mechs.

P1: You're doing a good job as the rear guard, keep it up!

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

I'm pretty much in agreement with Longinus here, we need to start wiping up the other lights, SD can deal with the stragglers since he'll be lagging behind either way.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Keru posted:

I'm pretty much in agreement with Longinus here, we need to start wiping up the other lights, SD can deal with the stragglers since he'll be lagging behind either way.

His mech pretty much just has to fire half his weapons to make them a fine mist, but all weapons would make that certain :)

Imagine how glorious it would be if he alphaed shutdown around the corpses of mechs! :black101:

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 28, 2011

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Axe-man posted:

His mech pretty much just has to fire half his weapons to make them a fine mist, but all weapons would make that certain :)

Imagine how glorious it would be if he alphaed shutdown around the corpses of mechs! :black101:

Could SD maneuver to get shots on both S6 and S8? Maybe to 426, shoot S8 with mediums and S6 with larges? A 1 gunner should be able to pull that off. Probably.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

I don't have any larges, just mediums and an Ultra/20.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I don't have any larges, just mediums and an Ultra/20.

Right. I keep forgetting that you're not in a Prime.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

Right. I keep forgetting that you're not in a Prime.

No worries.

As for this particular clown... I need to evaporate him and hustle before S6 manages to block me off too. Keru reckons it's worth running up the heat scale, and I'm inclined to agree: if I stand stock-still, I'll be shooting on TH4s. And I can nail him with my Ultra/20 and five of my ERMLs to the tune of 32 heat, which will put me up at 6 next turn.

That's probably an egregious amount of overkill, but given that these damnable Panthers have so far proven themselves to be oddly resilient against normal amounts of overkill, playing it conservatively would seem to be a bad idea.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

As for this particular clown... I need to evaporate him and hustle before S6 manages to block me off too. Keru reckons it's worth running up the heat scale, and I'm inclined to agree: if I stand stock-still, I'll be shooting on TH4s. And I can nail him with my Ultra/20 and five of my ERMLs to the tune of 32 heat, which will put me up at 6 next turn.

That's probably an egregious amount of overkill, but given that these damnable Panthers have so far proven themselves to be oddly resilient against normal amounts of overkill, playing it conservatively would seem to be a bad idea.

With only 10 shots on the Ultra, I recommend you only use the lasers. Having two shots left in the UAC20 may be what wins it for us in the end if you get a chance to fire in Ultra mode at the Coordinator to finish him off.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

running up the heat scale and I'm inclined to agree

quote:

if I stand stock-still

quote:

my Ultra/20

Are you touched in the head?

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

jng2058: I ran the numbers. Assuming I stand where I am (and assuming he jumped instead of walked,) I have a 91.66% chance on any given shot of hitting him. Of them, there's a 44.4828% chance that any given shot will hit him in the CT, either directly or through migrating inwards from his absentee right arm or torso. (That's accounting for the chance I'll roll a 2 and the floating critical hit will also roll into the right-side killzone.)

There's also a 33.4031% chance that any given shot I launch will land on his left torso, either directly or by migrating inward from his left arms.

He's got 2 armor and 11 internals left in his CT, so any hit from my AC/20 there would be an immediate kill. And, of course, any hit from my AC/20 on the HD is an automatic kill, too, which means the AC/20 alone has a specific 47.2487% chance of putting him down if it hits.

His left torso isn't in great shape either - it has 2 armor left and 8 internals left, and the chances of hitting anywhere on it are 33.4031%. A shot from the AC/20 that hits the LT will smash it away completely and migrate ten additional damage inward, leaving his CT with only 3 internal left, and any single CERML shot capable of wasting him. On the other hand, if I shoot lasers, the LT could soak one hit (which potentially could ignite his SRM-4 ammo and be an instant kill, but most likely would take out a heat sink,) with any other hit into the left-hand side of his 'mech eating up the remaining internals there and migrating 4 damage into his CT, breaching and rolling a crit in there.

Of course, in all of this, there's the worry that the legs and even the HD will suck up an ERML shot to zero effect. That's another reason I want to lead off with the UAC/20: if it hits anywhere, this guy is either dead outright, dead in one more shot, or legged and probably ejecting if he survives the follow-up...

On the other hand, looking at the numbers, I could be reasonably safely assured of killing him with one shot from the Ultra/20 and four follow-up shots from my CERMLs, generating only 1 over-heat.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Enemy Movement Modifiers:
A Grand Dragon: S+0
B Warhammer: W+1
C Thug: W+1
O1 Atlas: S+0
O2 Mauler Daboku 1: S+0
O3 Mauler Daboku 2: S+0
O4 Hatamoto Hankou: S+0
S1 Phoenix Hawk: S+0
S2 Jenner 1: W(R)+2
S3 Jenner 2: S+0
S4 Spider: W+1
S5 Panther 1: S+0
S6 Panther 2: R+2
S7 Panther 3: W+0
S8 Panther 4: R+2

You don't have to assume he jumped instead of walked, because PTN posts the enemy movement modifiers.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

quote:

S4 Spider: W+1

it's sitting there waiting for you guys. Hungry. This is the weapon you should fear... the spider :colbert:

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

You don't have to assume he jumped instead of walked, because PTN posts the enemy movement modifiers.

I missed that. That actually makes the numbers better in that I'm hitting on a 3+, giving me a 97.77% chance per-shot of hitting. I'm probably eating an SRM-4 this round, though.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Numerical Analysis.

I don't disagree with your breakdown of the numbers vis a vis a one turn kill.

What I'd like to emphasize, however, is that these guys don't matter. Every UAC shot you put into them is one less for when you try to take out the Warhammer, the Thug, the Maulers, the Hatamoto, that Atlas that's NOT going to move out of that gate unless you kill him, and finally the Dragon.

Yes, you can kill him with one shot of your UAC. That's what he wants. If you expend 10% of your primary weapon's ammo on a target that can, at best if you move stupidly to let him kick you and hits with every missile, do 15 points of damage to you, he wins.

Because if you take every kill on light and medium 'mechs that rolls your way in the next few turns you will have nothing left when it comes time to fight the big boys.

Don't fall for it. Mangle him with the lasers but save that precious UAC ammo for when it matters. Or else you'll find yourself staring at an Atlas and wishing you could do more to him than melt some paint.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

When I saw SD's move, I thought he was angling to move up along the edge and get to hex 0123 to score a lot of flanking hits while that pile of lights were tied up with the main group at 1324.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You guys are lucky that Atlas is Hideyoshi and not Grieg Samsonov. Dude has a custom Atlas that is the monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Defiance Industries posted:

You guys are lucky that Atlas is Hideyoshi and not Grieg Samsonov. Dude has a custom Atlas that is the monsters.

2 ppcs and a AC 20, that thing is a monster

• Locked thread