Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
While they’ve become a parody of themselves I think the tracks by them that I think are good are REALLY good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Hey guys, Fat Beats has a Pre-Order up for Viktor Vaughn aka MF DOOM - Vaudeville Villain 15th anniversary edition. Get it while you can, this one gets pretty pricey on Discogs.

Edit: Here's a link.

https://www.fatbeats.com/collection..._eid=2c8db2dc6e

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

MrSargent posted:

Hey guys, Fat Beats has a Pre-Order up for Viktor Vaughn aka MF DOOM - Vaudeville Villain 15th anniversary edition. Get it while you can, this one gets pretty pricey on Discogs.

Hells yeah

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Boinks posted:

I think this is kinda cool because in the CD world the RHCP are known for having some of the worst, if not the worst sounding masters. Californication may be the loudest overcompressed album ever made, at least on CD.

Oh, Rick Rubin. :allears:

I don't care much for RHCP either but I can't say much about polarizing bands when my favorite band as of late has been the Smashing Pumpkins.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Chili Peppers Schmili Peppers, Frusciante's solo stuff is where it's at.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like Freaky Styley, but that's about it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I was just happy that stadium Arcadium finally gave e-sports it’s due.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Chili Peppers Schmili Peppers, Frusciante's solo stuff is where it's at.

I maintain that Frusciante and Flea are incredibly talented and made some amazing music together, while I totally understand Anthony Kiedis being super-polarizing.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like Freaky Styley, but that's about it.

This was the album that got me to look into George Clinton and his catalog. There are some wild stories from when they were recording this album. I guess they and George owed a coke dealer a bunch of money, but they didn't have much at the time. Instead, they let him record a vocal and put it on the album as payment. The beginning vocal of Yertle the Turtle ("look at that turtle go bro") is actually their coke dealer.

Blood Sugar Sex Magic is probably my favorite album from them. just a great mix of funk and rock, with some actually decent songwriting. Under the Bridge is a pretty awesome song.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

strap on revenge posted:

has anyone got recommendations for record stores in Melbourne with a good variety of reasonably priced 2nd hand stuff?

It's been a while since I've been living in Melbourne but I liked Muscle Shoals on Lygon, remember it being reasonable compared to Northside or Polyester.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Boinks posted:

I think this is kinda cool because in the CD world the RHCP are known for having some of the worst, if not the worst sounding masters. Californication may be the loudest overcompressed album ever made, at least on CD.

Oh I know, the mastering on Californication is an absolute joke. I can't even listen to it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

revmoo posted:

Oh I know, the mastering on Californication is an absolute joke. I can't even listen to it.

I can't listen to it because that band loving sucks poo poo

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

A human heart posted:

Got em!!!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Railyard Ghosts are doing a 500-run limited 3LP release.

https://www.flailrecords.com/shop/rail-yard-ghosts-hirth-triple-lp

Not all that many folk-punk bands do record releases so hopefully this one turns out good.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

A human heart posted:

:supaburn:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Boinks posted:

Vapor Trails wants a word with you on that last count.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Railyard Ghosts are doing a 500-run limited 3LP release.

https://www.flailrecords.com/shop/rail-yard-ghosts-hirth-triple-lp

Not all that many folk-punk bands do record releases so hopefully this one turns out good.
Not to gatekeep, but if you ain’t even know what a grainer hole is without Googling, you shouldn’t be ordering this record

Parachute
May 18, 2003
not to gatekeep but that belongs in a hole alright

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

hexwren posted:

Vapor Trails wants a word with you on that last count.

I thought my car stereo was broken when I first got it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Oldstench posted:

I thought my car stereo was broken when I first got it.

It was like I couldn’t actually hear the music, so I turned it up louder to try and hear, but that just made it louder.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The remaster is real good poo poo though

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think I listened to it once. I like those songs a lot too, but by the time the remaster came out I was over it.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

MrSargent posted:

Was going to pull the trigger on this, the czarface vs ghostface and a reissue LP but they want $75 to ship 3 records to the UK so gently caress them. Also their website is slow as poo poo

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Banano posted:

Was going to pull the trigger on this, the czarface vs ghostface and a reissue LP but they want $75 to ship 3 records to the UK so gently caress them. Also their website is slow as poo poo

Wait, its $75 total or $75 just for shipping? If its just for shipping, something has to be wrong and I would email them or something.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

Not to gatekeep, but if you ain’t even know what a grainer hole is without Googling, you shouldn’t be ordering this record

Yeah. Gonna ride those rails... just let me load in my portable Crosley and a few crates of records.

I downloaded the album from The Internet Archive and have been digging it so I pre-ordered a copy despite not having the proper credentials.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

So I've noticed recently that many of my records start to sound blown out/static-y when nearing the end of the side. It starts out sounding just find, this usually happens about for maybe the last quarter of the record. It's especially noticeable through headphones. I wipe the record down with anti-static cloths but that doesn't seem to make a difference. Also it can be like this for brand new records, not just older stuff.

My current theory is that maybe the stylus isn't aligned properly with the grooves and it becomes noticeable as revolutions become smaller. My turntable has a straight tonearm, with a third-party curved headshell meant to compensate. Should I switch it back to the original straight headshell?

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Is dust stuck to the needle? This happens on mine a lot. as the record plays, it picks up embedded and ambient dust, and towards the end can get super crackly and distorted.

If I don't remove the dust, the next record will start that way.

Might not be it, I don't know how tonearms can effect stability, but figure it's something to check!

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Ballz posted:

So I've noticed recently that many of my records start to sound blown out/static-y when nearing the end of the side. It starts out sounding just find, this usually happens about for maybe the last quarter of the record. It's especially noticeable through headphones. I wipe the record down with anti-static cloths but that doesn't seem to make a difference. Also it can be like this for brand new records, not just older stuff.

My current theory is that maybe the stylus isn't aligned properly with the grooves and it becomes noticeable as revolutions become smaller. My turntable has a straight tonearm, with a third-party curved headshell meant to compensate. Should I switch it back to the original straight headshell?

I'd get the correct protractor and realign the stylus/headshell.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

sporklift posted:

Yeah. Gonna ride those rails... just let me load in my portable Crosley and a few crates of records.

I downloaded the album from The Internet Archive and have been digging it so I pre-ordered a copy despite not having the proper credentials.

You mean you don't even have an Audio Technica Sound Burger? Pffffffffffffffffffft.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Me: I'm TOTALLY getting merch at the Sun Ra Arkestra show tonight!
The record store right next to the theater: AHAHAHA. NO YOU'RE NOT.

Also: holy loving balls dudes, if by chance any of you are in Seattle, hit up the Arkestra show tomorrow!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Ballz posted:

Don't switch to a straight headshell, those are for scratching. Check your cart alignment with a protractor and set your anti-skate if you have it. If you happen to have a record with a blank side (no etching) you can test the anti skate with it.

Another thing, check your turntable manual to see if it lists the measurements between the stylus and the connector for the headshell. For instance, mine is listed as 56mm.

Boinks fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 4, 2019

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I bought The Commercial Album in a flea market and still can't believe I found a Residents album in a Flea Market.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Christmas gifts!

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
drat, wish I would have known about that (for my :siren: wife :siren:).

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Protractor? Like that thing I haven’t used since high school geometry?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Ballz posted:

Protractor? Like that thing I haven’t used since high school geometry?

You can print one out, it's like a strip of paper that goes over the spindle and you check that your stylus lines up with 2 points on it.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

This came today! Packaging is great, it's like a plastic material with cutouts, a different look and feel than normal sleeves.

Record sounds fine, album is awesome, and I can't wait until later this month when the Precambrian repressing arrives!

E: guess it's this:
"Comes in a 16mm spine triple-gatefold with diecuts on all 6 panels, blind embossing and metallic inks. The different shapes of the diecuts on all 6 layers of cardboard create a 3D effect when folded up. Printed inner sleeve and insert sheet"

Slothful Bong fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 5, 2019

pwn
May 27, 2004

Thom P. Tiers posted:

drat, wish I would have known about that (for my :siren: wife :siren:).
The score is the nicer of the two, as it has the real meat of the... score. The OST is about half sampler of the score, and half vocal songs, which aren’t on the score. But the amount of dead wax on side 3 of the score is laffo. I wish they’d just done three sides, or put the OST vocal songs on there. But it’s a nice set.

Good music to play while doing a bit of January Thaw cleaning.

I think I may have a problem

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

pwn posted:

The score is the nicer of the two, as it has the real meat of the... score. The OST is about half sampler of the score, and half vocal songs, which aren’t on the score. But the amount of dead wax on side 3 of the score is laffo. I wish they’d just done three sides, or put the OST vocal songs on there. But it’s a nice set.

Good music to play while doing a bit of January Thaw cleaning.

I think I may have a problem

What Waxwork/Mondo Records did you get? I seem to have a similar problem as you.

If anyone was looking at some of the Newbury Comics exclusives, I found out a way to check inventory. Go to the page of the record you want to check (example below) and hit CTRL + U. On the source code page, hit CTRL + F and search for "inventory". You should see the total quantity available. I had my eye on a couple and I found out there were less than 5 left of each so I jumped on them. Also grabbed their exclusive pressing for Deltron 3030. One of my favorite hip-hop albums from my childhood and I'm glad I waited on picking up one of the recent reissues.

This MF Doom Remaster only has one left in stock. I have a pressing of this already, but it sounds like poo poo and I have heard good things about this remaster.
https://www.newburycomics.com/collections/hip-hop-rap/products/mf_doom-operation_doomsday_exclusive_2_lp?variant=10402915075

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

MrSargent posted:

What Waxwork/Mondo Records did you get? I seem to have a similar problem as you.

If anyone was looking at some of the Newbury Comics exclusives, I found out a way to check inventory. Go to the page of the record you want to check (example below) and hit CTRL + U. On the source code page, hit CTRL + F and search for "inventory". You should see the total quantity available. I had my eye on a couple and I found out there were less than 5 left of each so I jumped on them. Also grabbed their exclusive pressing for Deltron 3030. One of my favorite hip-hop albums from my childhood and I'm glad I waited on picking up one of the recent reissues.

This MF Doom Remaster only has one left in stock. I have a pressing of this already, but it sounds like poo poo and I have heard good things about this remaster.
https://www.newburycomics.com/collections/hip-hop-rap/products/mf_doom-operation_doomsday_exclusive_2_lp?variant=10402915075

Nice tip, John Carpenter's Lost Themes only has 4 left and it's a really good album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

One of my favorite sub-genres is '90s girl-fronted alt bands where the singer sounds really bored and Helium's Dirt of Luck for $11.99 is a loving steal.