Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

It was a god drat ricochet shot!

yeah, he's got supernatural aim, you sorta have to just roll with it, it's a comic book show. Maybe his parents died in an accident involving chemicals that gave him superpowers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/rachmeetsworld/status/1053691765562077185

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Finished Daredevil, one of the few Marvel shows that ends stronger than it starts.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

First episode was definitely a slog to get through for me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

teagone posted:

First episode was definitely a slog to get through for me.

I get that, and I hate people who say you should power through 3 hours of something you don't enjoy in order to get to the good stuff, but I think each episode picks up after the first and it goes bonkers in episode 4.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm on episode 6 of Daredevil, and one thing that is bothering me immensely is that Agent Nadeem can't get promoted in the FBI because he has a bad credit score and that makes him a liability, yet Bullseye gets hired in just fine with his psychiatric record? I guess they can pull the whole "sealed juvenile records" trope, but it still bugs me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Medullah posted:

I'm on episode 6 of Daredevil, and one thing that is bothering me immensely is that Agent Nadeem can't get promoted in the FBI because he has a bad credit score and that makes him a liability, yet Bullseye gets hired in just fine with his psychiatric record? I guess they can pull the whole "sealed juvenile records" trope, but it still bugs me.

There's more to it than that, but yeah sealed juvenile record, the thing with the coach was probably ruled an accident and he didn't kill any other humans until he was in the military and killing the "right" ones

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

That is a good cat.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

There's more to it than that, but yeah sealed juvenile record, the thing with the coach was probably ruled an accident and he didn't kill any other humans until he was in the military and killing the "right" ones

Also he's not an agent in the same way. He's a swat sniper who's just on guard duty when this all starts out.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Medullah posted:

Hmmmm.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Titans isn’t baaaaaad, but it suffers from “a grounded take on...” for characters I don’t want that from.

It desperately needs a little comic levity.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Finale spoilers I gotta say, this Bullseye vs Daredevil vs Kingpin triple threat match is pretty drat exciting. Though I'm not sure I understand why Matt thought adding Poindexter to his plan would improve things in any way. Did he intend for Bullseye to kill Fisk and then just changed his mind on the way or something? I'm guessing the idea is that he needed to clear Daredevil's name. I think he might've thought to tackle that on a different day though.

Overall, really great series. It has a slow build, but I didn't find it to be a slog.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

Finale spoilers I gotta say, this Bullseye vs Daredevil vs Kingpin triple threat match is pretty drat exciting. Though I'm not sure I understand why Matt thought adding Poindexter to his plan would improve things in any way. Did he intend for Bullseye to kill Fisk and then just changed his mind on the way or something? I'm guessing the idea is that he needed to clear Daredevil's name. I think he might've thought to tackle that on a different day though.

Overall, really great series. It has a slow build, but I didn't find it to be a slog.

he needed Dex to get through security

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Samuringa posted:

Now I'm not sure if I'll watch DDS3 as it's future is uncertain, unless it has a definite ending.

It does have a definite ending.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Skwirl posted:

he needed Dex to get through security

Ah. That's.....kinda concerning. Guess the guys he might've killed on the way are just collateral.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Craptacular! posted:

Titans isn’t baaaaaad, but it suffers from “a grounded take on...” for characters I don’t want that from.

It desperately needs a little comic levity.

It's deffo try hard edgy, but I'm enjoying it. Hawk and Dove looked absurd, but the fight choreography has been solid the past two episodes. The actors playing Dick and Raven are doing a decent job; totally thought they'd be way worse, like CW level.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I loved DDS3. It's right up there with DDS1 and Punisher. Fisk stole every scene as always and Bullseye was perfect. Daredevil is just nailing the casting on every character. It's crazy how good this show is and how bad the rest are.

I never did finish Luke Cage and I watched the first four episodes of Iron Fist S2, went to bed and didn't care enough to finish it. I don't care that they're cancelled and I totally think its because Disney wants to load up on shows for their streaming service. The shelved New Warriors, remade Heroes for Hire and hopefully that Blade spinoff pitch where his daughter is Buffy. I really want to see Marvel's black Buffy compared to Whedon's black Buffy. It'll be another Orville vs Discovery.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Heathen posted:

I never did finish Luke Cage

You live up to your username.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

All right so I finished the season. I really enjoyed it overall. But now I'm gonna complain a lot.

So first of all the reasoning to have Matt never wear the daredevil suit at any point was all very handwave-y and flimsy. It's obvious that was mostly done or marketing purposes (It's good again!) and possibly because Charlie Cox was tired of wearing the bulky suit. Even the whole "framing daredevil" thing felt a little half baked. Like I could totally believe that was a late rewrite. Like every time he was fighting people I couldn't help but think "Gee, having some extra padding sure would be useful to keep from being horribly beat up!". It was especially glaring when he was fighting Bullseye. Like the suit would probably protect you from all that stabbing!

This season's biggest problem is the same as season 1's: Fisk's complete control of the city and ability to get every single witness killed makes him look way too overwhelmingly impossible to take down, bordering nearly on the John Wick situation of everyone being an assassin. Half the characters in any scene are probably working for Fisk, and he can get to anyone anywhere within minutes. As soon as someone goes "I have the evidence to stop Fisk" a gun materializes and shoots them in the head. And I understand this creates this sense of inescapable danger our heroes have to surmount, but it feels very goofy when this unstoppable mastermind is, once again, defeated by basically just being punched in the face. The one piece of evidence that took him down didn't really feel like it would matter that much considering it came from someone he'd already discredited, but then Daredevil just kicks his rear end and he surrenders and abandons all his leverage because his wife is threatened, even though threatening Kingpin's wife was what made Murdock his mortal enemy in the first place.

I really liked the theming in the first few episodes of Fisk seemingly achieving some measure of redemption in the name of love by cooperating with the FBI, while Matt sank to darker depths to try and stop him. I thought that was an interesting parallel, and I would've liked to see it continue a bit longer. But then Fisk revealed his hand fairly early on and Matt just kind of stopped being all that grim for like 6 episodes until he remembered right before the end that this was the season where he gets dark. Another way this is undermined is that, even when Matt is cutting off all contact with his friends and denouncing God and everything, his actions are never anywhere near as brutal as they were in season 1. He violently tortured people, put people in near comas, beat people to within an inch of their lives in season 1. And while I thought that made him kind of hard to root for in that context, if this is supposed to be the season where he steps into the shadows and might actually kill Fisk (even though we knew he wouldn't), maybe cranking up his violence and meanness would've been effective in showing that. Instead he was just kind of rude to everyone.

The fact that Bullseye inexplicably didn't kill a single security guard at Fisk's wedding even though we've seen him kill random bystanders just to vent his frustrations countless times before then feels extremely convenient in absolving Matt of any guilt for winding up the death machine and pointing it at the crowd. And if he was going in planning to kill Fisk, there was no reason to stop Bullseye from doing it. And if he didn't plan to kill Fisk, why risk involving the incredibly murderous psycho in the first place?

I don't really have a problem with crippling Bullseye to take him out of the 3-way fight, but it felt like something that didnt really affect the story at all and was just put in there because Bullseye was crippled in the comics at one point, even though the entire context was different.

Anyway yeah, pretty good, too bad we won't be getting more.

E: Oh yeah, the actress who played the FBI boss lady sounded almost exactly like The Boss from Metal Gear Solid 3 and kinda looked like her and it was really distracting.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 21, 2018

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I was also disappointed Matt didn't wear the Daredevil costume and that Bullseye didn't get his own costume. When Fisk was talking about giving the city a villain I was sure he was going to give Bullseye his own suit. THE SUIT IS COOL DAMMIT.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

RE the finale
I'm not positive, but I thought Bullseye was trying to kill Vanessa Fisk with the microphone and that's why Daredevil stops him, again, at the penthouse, Daredevil only attacks Bullseye when he goes after Vanessa

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

RE the finale
I'm not positive, but I thought Bullseye was trying to kill Vanessa Fisk with the microphone and that's why Daredevil stops him, again, at the penthouse, Daredevil only attacks Bullseye when he goes after Vanessa

That's 100% what he's doing. Kingpin killed Bullseye's friend so he's trying to take Vanessa away from him. That's gotta be what season 4 is about if it happens, too.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

All right so I finished the season. I really enjoyed it overall. But now I'm gonna complain a lot.

This season's biggest problem is the same as season 1's: Fisk's complete control of the city and ability to get every single witness killed makes him look way too overwhelmingly impossible to take down, bordering nearly on the John Wick situation of everyone being an assassin. Half the characters in any scene are probably working for Fisk, and he can get to anyone anywhere within minutes. As soon as someone goes "I have the evidence to stop Fisk" a gun materializes and shoots them in the head. And I understand this creates this sense of inescapable danger our heroes have to surmount, but it feels very goofy when this unstoppable mastermind is, once again, defeated by basically just being punched in the face. The one piece of evidence that took him down didn't really feel like it would matter that much considering it came from someone he'd already discredited, but then Daredevil just kicks his rear end and he surrenders and abandons all his leverage because his wife is threatened, even though threatening Kingpin's wife was what made Murdock his mortal enemy in the first place.

I do agree that it seemed pretty rushed and kind of a lovely conclusion on how they took down Fisk. Like you said, I really doubt that testimony would've meant poo poo considering the source. Even having Kingpin store Julie's dead body in a freezer for reasons so that Dex could find it and turn against him was pretty contrived considering how much of a mastermind Kingpin was supposed to be.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea season 3 was really good but I agree with (ending spoilers) it being a bummer that once again Kingpin was defeated by getting...punched a lot...It was cool in season 1, we had all this buildup and it was Matt finally in costume with his signature weapons and all, it was a very cool final fight with Fisk's empire crumbling around him already. Now it's just...one scumbag has a weirdly convenient piece of proof that Fisk should have burned day one, so now when Matt whips his rear end he just goes 'aw gently caress I lose!' D'onofrio is a REALLY great Fisk, it feels like a waste that now all his big defeat scenes have been the same kinda punchy punch fights. It felt almost like they thought they had another episode or two and then got told 'uh you guys know this is the finale right?' when they turned the script in.

Still easily the best thing Marvel's done for Netflix though, and this as someone who generally likes most of Marvel Netflix.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

RE the finale

Oh yeah, rewatching it frame by frame that is what happened. Mystery solved on that end I guess.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Just finished up. Enjoyed it though I did find the finale some what questionable. I had no issue with the pacing of the first few eps. In fact, I thought that there was actually an episode later that was a bit worse for pacing The Karen episode so I was kinda amused that so many people thought the wind up was slow when that episode is dropped toward the middle.

But yeah, the ending was iffy but not nearly as bad as usual Netflix Marvel endings.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Oh yeah, rewatching it frame by frame that is what happened. Mystery solved on that end I guess.

Don't get me wrong, there's massive holes in Matt's plan, but it has a logic to it and there's so many shows where the hero's plan involves intentionally endangering innocent people to catch a bad guy, thinking they can protect them.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The episode about Karen flopped kinda hard for me, but I knew it would when I saw the title. I stopped caring about Karen's mysterious past in Season 1. I still don't much like the character. Her actual past didn't turn out to be all that interesting. Bleh.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I have a feeling Perlmutter is somehow behind these cancellations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Deadline said Netflix wanted to drop 3 episodes (and so pay less) but Marvel wouldn't budge, and that there was significant executive meddling.

So yeah probably.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is titans getting updated once a week or is the whole season available now?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Kingtheninja posted:

I think it's weekly because they need to be able to keep interest in programming. If they just dumped the whole season, people would probably cancel after they binged and then resub for doom patrol.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

All their shows are going to be weekly so that they can always have something new starting.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/StephenAmell/status/1054216020003418113?s=19

Edit

https://twitter.com/StephenAmell/status/1054510887242002434?s=19

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 23, 2018

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

The new suit looks even worse next to the even older one!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hope that is Gustin's actual main suit and Amell just farted in it all drat day.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I hope Shipp has a new suit and that isn't the 30 year-old prop.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bruceski posted:

It's a faithful recreation.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bruceski posted:

The hero suit was on display at the WB studios back in March and it was not in great shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Hah I used to live in that building behind them