Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tiny Bug Child posted:

I just added a bunch of mods and started a new colony, and now my game crashes about every 30 minutes. Is there a better way to find the problem other than disabling each mod individually and running the game for a while?

You could do a half sort, turn half of them off, see if it works, use that to isolate which half is causing the problem, repeat until found. Generally faster than doing it one at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Playing the development build, that's new:

Wild SHERIFF appeared!

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The most dangerous game

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Shame that pawn is going to get a bad back pretty much instantly and die of a heart attack inside the year. If she was 20 years younger that would be a fantastic pawn.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
How can you be a feral solitary man but also have been a story writer as a child and also served as a sheriff?

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
They keep coming!

How does Squirrel feel after hunting Boar?

He fine. :420:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

cugel posted:

They keep coming!

How does Squirrel feel after hunting Boar?

He fine. :420:

Was 15 Intellectual not good enough for you??

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Pharnakes posted:

Shame that pawn is going to get a bad back pretty much instantly and die of a heart attack inside the year. If she was 20 years younger that would be a fantastic pawn.

Bionic spine and artificial heart. Problem solved!

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

T-man posted:

Was 15 Intellectual not good enough for you??

Squirrel (the hunter) was the one with 15 int, not Boar.

cugel posted:

Playing the development build, that's new:

Wild SHERIFF appeared!

Isn't sheriff usually a terrible background with both dumb AND skilled labor incapabilities? Am I thinking of something else, or is this a change? I hope it's a change because god drat that was a really bad background before.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
General used to be the useless one, only good for hunting and combat.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sheriff was a joke backstory that could do basically nothing. The person who added it said they wanted to make the most useless imaginable pawn.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Huh so there's now humans that are basically wild animals?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
This was always an intended feature, to accurately reflect most humans.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I wanna change the spawn tables to be all human for my cannibal colony.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

OwlFancier posted:

Huh so there's now humans that are basically wild animals?

It's a mental break possibility and a random event. You can send people with an animals skill of 6 or more to try to recruit them.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I just beat them up, move them to my human zoo, and then keep them.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Sup I'm playing this game and am loving it. The part that always gets me is choosing my colonists. Thankfully the menu song is soothing af.

Anyway for things like gardening and construction, is it ok if they have like a 10 stat but normal passion for it (little flame)? I'm giving up on finding the perfect colonists, I'm more looking for least bad that checks off the minimum boxes on the colonist guide in the OP.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Growing and construction are two of the best things to start with.

Basically I would suggest you want at least one person good at: medicine, growing, construction, and shooting for your embark.

The skill level determines how good at it they are, the flames indicate how quickly they learn it and whether they enjoy doing it. People with flames will enjoy their work and improve faster. Your key for initial survival is actual skill, flames are more long term.

The way they work is if they have no passion at all they learn extremely slowly, which is more important for some skills than others, things you can only train with limited resources (like medical) are more important to have passion in if you want to get someone very good at them. Construction and growing are actually skills you can train very easily, but the reason you want them good to start with is because you need your first harvest to be a good one, and you really want decent furniture as quick as possible because a lovely bed will make your colonists actually take longer to recover rest, a good bed will make them rest up faster meaning they can work more, and the basics of survival is getting as much work out of your dudes as possible as quickly as possible.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 21, 2018

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Personally in favour potential (flames) over actual skill but for your starting pawns it's fine to take a vital skill like growing with a decent skill bit no passion. I do tend to insist on passion for medicine and construction through since with really will benefit you hugely at higher levels.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Growing has hard minimum thresholds that must be met before you can grow certain crops for herbal medicine and devilstrand and trees, but beyond that it's just productivity (passion flame will keep the "I'm doing what I love" moodlet active).

e: Construction now has a lot of minimum thresholds as well, so yeah starting with zero construction is really not good.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The joy bonus of having passion is subtle but powerful. Free, passive joy for doing a productive thing means a lot less down time for professions that do the thing for long periods of time like crafting or construction. For shorter, more intense jobs like medicine the skill gain is what helps the most though that can be over come by attaching and removing more peg legs.

Also euthanizing chickens or pigs or whatever. Euthanizing every extra animal over your base population requirements gives a ton of medical exp and costs some herbal medicine and time at an animal sleeping spot to produce the same corpse as if you did normal slaughter.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That never occurred to me, that's a neat idea :hmmyes:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Flesh Forge posted:

e: Construction now has a lot of minimum thresholds as well, so yeah starting with zero construction is really not good.

How bad are they? That's at least an interesting way of increasing difficulty.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

nm it turns out the table wasn't built. I had the same problem before so I was just ASSUMING. Turns out if you got a airlock opening straight into the freezer it works better then them exiting and walking around.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 21, 2018

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
The default range at which pawns will search for a table is really small, that might be it?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I have never understood why a pawn gets so much medical exp from euthanizing an animal with herbal meds. I guess knowing what kind is the one that does it helps, but...

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Just put the tabel in the freezer

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Viva Miriya posted:

Sup I'm playing this game and am loving it. The part that always gets me is choosing my colonists. Thankfully the menu song is soothing af.

Anyway for things like gardening and construction, is it ok if they have like a 10 stat but normal passion for it (little flame)? I'm giving up on finding the perfect colonists, I'm more looking for least bad that checks off the minimum boxes on the colonist guide in the OP.

I did this for awhile but it sucks. Just get the mod Prepare Carefully like literally all other Rimworld players and design your own.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

I did this for awhile but it sucks. Just get the mod Prepare Carefully like literally all other Rimworld players and design your own.

I'll do that next playthrough for sure.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

ruh roh i rescued a pyromaniac paramedic from an escape pod. I guess i gotta :commissar: her instead of waste medical supplies on her huh?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
If you rescued her there's a good chance she'll bugger off when she's healed. If not, banishment is an option these days, at least in experimental.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I need to start building with stone ASAP.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Honestly pyromaniac is annoying but unless they decide to go on a break in the middle of a raid or something really not that bad. If they are otherwise a good pawn then I usually take them, plus if you have EPOE you can cure them anyway.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
pyromaniac is bad when its another faction's pawn in the middle of your base

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Pharnakes posted:

Honestly pyromaniac is annoying but unless they decide to go on a break in the middle of a raid or something really not that bad. If they are otherwise a good pawn then I usually take them, plus if you have EPOE you can cure them anyway.

Or they get to your chemfuel pile.

Side note, with the wild men walking in, can a scenario be crafted where it is just a ton of wild men wandering onto the map? That'd be neat. Kind of like the zombie scenario once the game and plants become scarce.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
My trading bros wanted me to take out a pirate outpost half a day away, so I figured no problem, went there, obliterated them. I brought muffalos to pack up all their poo poo and take it home. Including their packaged survival meals. The half a day journey home is now entering day two, with two pawns needing to be carried. The loving pirates Montezuma's Revenged me.

Now that all the survival meals are mixed together, there's no way to tell which ones are safe to take on the next journey.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Doesn't matter, got to raid.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Whats a simple way to make tons of silver for your colony?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Have a master statue maker and sell all except the highest quality ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Rynoto posted:

Have a master statue maker and sell all except the highest quality ones.

Working on training one up right now. Gotta get rid of all this loving wood somehow.