Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Sagebrush posted:

What is "most popular" supposed to mean here?

Dollars to donuts this is not about purchase volume or number of cars on the road but is some bullshit like "highest search volume on Yaboo" or "most wishlisted" or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

it might also just be entirely made up

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

It's from this article

https://www.everycarlisted.com/drivingzone/features/america-loves-pickup-trucks-an-analysis-of-vehicular-spending-across-the-u-s

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Seasonally appropriate

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sagebrush posted:

Correlation is not causation. Maybe it's just showing that only the horniest people masturbate the moment they get home from work

Pictured: the aformentioned person, on their commute home

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

One of the sources for this no longer exists and the other is private data, so yeah, it's horseshit.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also from the title it sounds like maybe they are defining "most popular" as "most total dollars spent on this model," or something?

Though I can't imagine that even that would make the Mercedes C-class, a car I see like one of a day in SF, the most popular car in RI. What a load of crap

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I will never reveal Massachusetts' secret vehicle.

"Whatever fits through the Dunks drivethru."

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I think that you guys are forgetting that using smart vibrators in the car during commuting is not specifically illegal. That 5pm is during commuting, not after.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

The awful part of this is the months graph, which appears to just be plotting the number of days per month, plus some noise.

February is fifth, though, and October looks like it's last...

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Delaware has a small local chain of burrito shops called El Diablo. They're just Chipotle, that's all they are. A local Chipotle.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

That's how you present data in the best way, though. Clear and concise with the tiniest sprinkle of a little razzle dazzle

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah, that's a normal way of presenting holiday opening hours?

The question is why they're closed on the biggest drinking night of the year. New years day between 2 and 8 in the morning should be the busiest hour in fast food

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Thank you for managing to open on Boxing Day, Market Street location, your effort is appreciated 🙏

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

That's how you present data in the best way, though. Clear and concise with the tiniest sprinkle of a little razzle dazzle

Why break out the first four locations? It's a lot of redundant info.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Because if you don't, 5 out of every 6 customers who see that will call you asking "hey I see that it says "All locations except Market Street are open 11-4 on christmas eve, but will pike creek be open christmas eve?"

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Because the public, taken as a whole, is approximately as intelligent as a day-old kitten and would be utterly baffled by that consolidation. In fact the current situation, where gray stripes indicate closure but there is no explicit indication of this, is also dramatically insufficient for public consumption. I wouldn't be surprised if Market Street had to schedule an extra person every day this month just to answer the phones about it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Delaware has a small local chain of burrito shops called El Diablo. They're just Chipotle, that's all they are. A local Chipotle.

This looks good though? Maybe just state "closed" instead of leaving the spaces blank.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
https://x.com/LevAkabas/status/1737847538584269088?s=20

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
For some reason my brain wants the x and y axis to be switched, but I don't know why it feels wrong

Edit: For the burrito one

EasilyConfused has a new favorite as of 15:10 on Dec 23, 2023

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Because the public, taken as a whole, is approximately as intelligent as a day-old kitten and would be utterly baffled by that consolidation. In fact the current situation, where gray stripes indicate closure but there is no explicit indication of this, is also dramatically insufficient for public consumption. I wouldn't be surprised if Market Street had to schedule an extra person every day this month just to answer the phones about it.

Count Roland posted:

This looks good though? Maybe just state "closed" instead of leaving the spaces blank.

drat, you all are right. I thought it was an almost perfect way to present the data but CLOSED would remove any and all ambiguity. I know, for a fact, that the gray stripes wouldn't be enough for every single member of the general public.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Time isn't in the 24hour format, 0/10

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

drat, you all are right. I thought it was an almost perfect way to present the data but CLOSED would remove any and all ambiguity. I know, for a fact, that the gray stripes wouldn't be enough for every single member of the general public.

Probably not all that visible once printed and taped to the inside of a glass door either, so it'd just look like they were left blank and not filled in.

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus
Are any stores open on december 27th-30th? Is it missing because it's implied that it's normal hours? Or is it missing because it's implied that they're closed? It's probably the former, but how confident are you that Market Street specifically is actually open those days and not closed for most of the holiday season?

It would also help to not present something that isn't a calendar (like with days in columns, weeks in rows) in a form where it looks just like a calendar at first glance. Not including the date on most of those days is also going to lead to confusion ("eve" vs "day"), as does having gaps between the days.

Personally what bothers me the most is when you take up a lot of space to provide very little information like you were trying to fill up the space, but I'm still left with questions at the end of it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pansy-rear end tennis fans

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Just to nail the lid home on how customers don't read things, last week we got over 50 emails for reservations. The form to submit the query requests their phone number. 8 had the phone number in the first email. About 20 gave it after the second email.

Over half never gave us their phone number and then showed up wondering why they didn't have reservations.

I have seen email chains that would blow your mind, including a response to us asking for their phone number, "my phone number is:"

That is a direct quote.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

CainFortea posted:

Just to nail the lid home on how customers don't read things, last week we got over 50 emails for reservations. The form to submit the query requests their phone number. 8 had the phone number in the first email. About 20 gave it after the second email.

Over half never gave us their phone number and then showed up wondering why they didn't have reservations.

I have seen email chains that would blow your mind, including a response to us asking for their phone number, "my phone number is:"

That is a direct quote.

Does your form not require the phone number field filled in?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

EasilyConfused posted:

Does your form not require the phone number field filled in?

Boss's kid hasn't figured out how to make it a requirement.

Regardless, I have personally spoken to more than one person who has responded to the question of "Didn't you get an email requesting your phone number and name?" with "Yea, but I didn't answer."

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i would think the 30 seconds it takes to google what the html "required" attribute does would be worth the savings cost of having to answer a ton of messages and deal with a small but steady stream of irate customers but i'm not a paragon of economic thought like a restaurant owner so what do i know

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

RETKRN

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have that feeling when I try to look up graphics cards. I can't remember how many times they've rebooted the numbers but surely a geforce 9800 should still be the best.

There must be a tomshardware ranking where it's just model number in numerical order.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nvidia has gone around twice I think. First there was the 9800, then the 980, and eventually there will be a 9080. I guess after that it's gonna be 9008

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Motorola 6800: 4,100 transistors
Nvidia 6800 GT: 222 million transistors
AMD 6800 XT: 26.8 billion transistors

Powershift has a new favorite as of 05:59 on Dec 24, 2023

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I wish they'd just switch to something like [year].[number of releases that year to date +1]. It's not like the stupid numbers have any marketing value.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I wish they'd just switch to something like [year].[number of releases that year to date +1]. It's not like the stupid numbers have any marketing value.

Yes they do, the entire point is to obfuscate things

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sentient Data posted:

Yes they do, the entire point is to obfuscate things

I don't see how this confusion helps them make money.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's not like the stupid numbers have any marketing value.

My graphics card has a 7 in it, which means I am better than the pathetic plebs who can only afford a 6, but I still must envy my friend with an 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
AMD, bring back the ATi brand.