Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Unfunny Poster posted:

You're a retard and should shut up. Preferably forever.

:ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:ironicat:

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice
So I just watched icorion goodpost and Elsa make an unforced badpost without ambien.

gently caress I love this thread. :parrot:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Elsa posted:

no really namedrop a dude who killed hisself to make your point about eve online

"I remember one time being contacted by rain at 2am, he wanted me to pick his next underage girl to draw half nude, any girl would do, but Disney princesses would be even better. I just laughed and went back to bed. The next morning they found him in a pool of his own vomit that mainly consisted of large clumps of ambien pills fuzed together by stomach acid as if he had just swallowed 18 bottles of the poo poo. I really feel like I could have made a difference that night, maybe if I just asked him to draw pocahontas? But I really didn't want to and in retrospect, knowing what I know now, I probably still would have just gone to bed lol"

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

having been in a leadership position in a large MMO guild (not in Eve), I can tell you that dealing with a suicidal member is straight up the worst thing that can possibly happen in a video game, and I'm glad I've only had it happen once

Don't make fun of that poo poo.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

i wonder whats going on in the eve threa :yikes:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

yo

what are the russians doing in fountain? is this a serious attempt or are they just fooling around

historically they dont venture that far west but if they did in a serious fashion i cant see The Cultures 70 dudes being able to hold it without serious batphone work

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

having been in a leadership position in a large MMO guild (not in Eve), I can tell you that dealing with a suicidal member is straight up the worst thing that can possibly happen in a video game, and I'm glad I've only had it happen once

I didn't know Roy, but I hated reading about his story. He needed help.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Rhymenoserous posted:

I didn't know Roy, but I hated reading about his story. He needed help.

Roy convinced me to join the military then killed himself while I was at bootcamp. 10/10 troll

LiteraryDouble
Nov 28, 2014

Hello friends.

FuturePastNow posted:

Can confirm. That was one of the most stressful nights of my life.

<story>

A new member came on comms trashed out of his mind. Out of the blue, piped up with "I'm going to go into the bathroom with this razor and slash my wrists open in the tub. Who wants all my stuff?" What followed was a three hour roller coaster. At first, we thought he was trolling. After a few minutes, a lot of him screaming at air, and more than a few refusals to take his billions of ISK by multiple people, it was clear he was serious.

I immediately started rage-ticketing CCP, who responded with essentially "we won't do anything, it's on mumble - not in game".

Word spread through jabber quickly, people started piling into the comms channel. But eerily, the guy and one or two others were the only ones conversing.

In our equivalent of illum, two decisions were made:

1. Keep him talking as absolutely long as possible. Dead people can't talk on comms.
  2. CCP was useless. We had to locate this guy to get help ourselves, and CCP weren't willing to do anything to help.

We were really fortunate in that between our great-with-people Dear Leader, and a guy in our equivalent of elysium - a cop in real life, experienced with these things - we could keep him talking for a long time. "What's going on in your life", "what brought you to our corp", "how do you think the group should handle (political situation xyz)"? Any open-ended question he'd need time to respond to. As one person started running out of conversational steam, another of the (probably 60+ by this point) would chime in with more.

While people kept him talking, me and another illum-equiv started digging through his posting history, alliance profile, anything to help identify him. An email, a phone number, anything. We were fortunate to find an email, which led to a LinkedIn with a name. After working in "hey man what state do you live in, why don't we go get a drink" into the conversation, we were able to narrow down google results to a phone number. Called the number, and the guy in comms stopped talking to check his ringing phone. Found him.

The cop took the phone number and started making calls to wherever cops go to get him help. Only a matter of time now, just keep him talking.

At this point, a CCP GM actually unhid themselves in the system he was. I guess they finally got enough rage-ticketing to investigate. Said something to the tune of "hey guys, we don't normally show ourselves, but just checking - is everything alright here?" in local. The guy was so engrossed in the conversation, he didn't notice.

Just a race against time now, we just had to keep him talking for a little bit longer. The random question conversation, having been going upwards of two hours now, was starting to turn sour. A few more outbursts of self hatred, some words, some more questions, and he said "I'm going to the bathroom. Hold on" and put down his headset. He didn't come back for 10 minutes.

"(name)? Are you still there man?" Probably 80+ people in that comms channel, not a word but that. "(name) come back man".

Dead loving silent in that channel. Then he disconnected from comms. Holy poo poo. What do we do? More dead silence. After awhile, Dear Leader pipes up. "We've done all we can. Let's all just hope for the best. Anyone leaks this, you're gone."

After the longest 20 minutes of my loving life, our cop bro piped up to say that the police were there, and he's getting help. The guy is still in corp to this day, seeming much better.

That's the only time I've ever doxxed someone. You could argue it was still shady, but I can't say I regret it. And I was super loving proud of my spaceship guild - dozens of people showed up and helped keep him talking, no trolling bullshit whatsoever.

</story>

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

You did a wonderful thing.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
man I am just shocked SHOCKED that CCP didnt do jack poo poo

(that was pretty baller, hi fives all around)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Can't really dump on CCP for not releasing personal info to strangers.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

CainFortea posted:

There are multiple instances of WoW GM's contacting authorities in this instance themselves without handing out information.

Anti-Anxiety Annie
Jan 2, 2015

Rhymenoserous posted:

There are multiple instances of WoW GM's contacting authorities in this instance themselves without handing out information.

I have seen CCP take action personally on these things. They do take it seriously, they won't tell you what happened but the guy convo'd me afterwards and was pissed that the cops showed up for a welfare check at his door. I live in the states, opened a support ticket in Iceland and they contacted the authorities on a continent that is not mine. My hats off to them.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
CCP have typically always helped out and taken steps to intervene in suicide stuff when notified.

Could just depend on the GM or whatever you get when filing a ticket/contacting them though.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Rhymenoserous posted:

"I remember one time being contacted by rain at 2am, he wanted me to pick his next underage girl to draw half nude, any girl would do, but Disney princesses would be even better. I just laughed and went back to bed. The next morning they found him in a pool of his own vomit that mainly consisted of large clumps of ambien pills fuzed together by stomach acid as if he had just swallowed 18 bottles of the poo poo. I really feel like I could have made a difference that night, maybe if I just asked him to draw pocahontas? But I really didn't want to and in retrospect, knowing what I know now, I probably still would have just gone to bed lol"

someone died in eve irl and you should grow up tbqfhbbq

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
What the gently caress are you even on about Ambien-Empowered Ephebophilia-Extraordinarre?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
crazybrains! you know, this thread's favorite!

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
sometimes it's merely an accusation repeated over a year or so, but on rare occasions it's venerated

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
Ok

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Elsa posted:

crazybrains! you know, this thread's favorite!

You are poison. Shut the gently caress up.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Hu Fa Ted posted:

You are poison. Shut the gently caress up.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
I have crazy brains (like most of this thread tbh) but I'm also smart enough to not vomit textual diarrhea all over the thread on a daily basis

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

bonewitch posted:

I have crazy brains (like most of this thread tbh) but I'm also smart enough to not vomit textual diarrhea all over the thread on a daily basis

In the 3 years I spent as a holesquad admin/ceo/what the gently caress ever I had a parade of people with self harm tendencies. I didn't know, and don't know if that's my charter as a space administrator, but as a human being I spent a lot of time to investigate those claims and continue contact. I'm not a counselor but I agree with the guy up there that it's the least you can do.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
i'm nearly certain this behavior is called, "being a person"

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Im sure you understand the super subtle difference between CCP using (not disseminating) the basic info they already have on file in the case of an emergency vs CPing his address into a ticket response and saying "gently caress you, you do it"

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Elsa posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

And in the end, everyone won

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Daco Vato posted:

So I just watched icorion goodpost and Elsa make an unforced badpost without ambien.

wait which poster is Icorion?

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Reverand maynard posted:

And in the end, everyone won

VG is an honest to god hero

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Rhymenoserous posted:

They're going to make sure someone isn't pulling some underhanded stunt first; we are talking about EVE players.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Mr. Grinch posted:

wait which poster is Icorion?

hello

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Daco Vato posted:

make an unforced badpost without ambien.

I love this phrase. Like it's a sport or something.

Well we've just seen the second unforced badpost of the page Bob, where do you think this thread is headed?

The gas chamber Frank, that's where it's headed. With the rest.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Sunber posted:

VG is an honest to god hero

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
I feel as though my existence baits him into a frothy rage, and that I am proud of. Good job VG.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

ok. Goodnight thread about a video game.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Wonder what it is about EVE that attracts the suicidal.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
what's the best mining ship for an alpha account? i think a 5 laser mining cruiser would be better than a venture. i'm thinking of thinclient(tm) multiboxing a ton of these

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
Hint: they're not suicidal when they start playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mr. Grinch posted:

Im sure you understand the super subtle difference between CCP using (not disseminating) the basic info they already have on file in the case of an emergency vs CPing his address into a ticket response and saying "gently caress you, you do it"

Yes, there is a difference between those two things. Congratulations! I also can't really dump on them for not calling the cops on one of their customers based entirely on the word of one of their other customers. Customers who often call the game "sociopath simulator".

• Locked thread