Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
naem
May 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Blind Sally posted:

as a Canadian, I wish there were actual good Canadian war movies. I mean, are there any good Canadian war movies? i haven't seen Passchendale, though I heard it was only okay. a lot of the war movies from Canadian perspectives look like or are boring made-for-tv garbage.

(the only Canadian war movie I've seen is Ilsa, She-Wolf of the SS, lol)

Somehow I can't imagine a movie with the white house getting burned down being a huge seller...

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Or any Canadian war movie, really. Canadians are a patriotic bunch, but not really when it comes to war victories and the like.

naem
May 29, 2011

Most of the cast of Vikings™® are Canadian just watch that and pretend

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Gildiss posted:

Classic Gilchrist

Been watching some of RLMs earlier stuff and also the "How Not To Make A Movie" documentary thing. Mike is trying real hard to not talk mad poo poo about Gilchrist in that. There's a part where he's describing his "Safari Character" and he just has this little pause and like a tiny sigh and you can tell he just wants to be more of an rear end in a top hat but he's trying not to. Good poo poo.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Also again I think it's too late to make a movie in which heroic canadians trap beavers, then burn and rape indian people so yeah I still can't imagine this working.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Pretty sure no one cares about Canada mates

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I bet you could make a pretty compelling tale of how you seceded from the brits.*

*Actually it would be boring because canadians did nothing

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Canana can't even have a ww2 movie because they didn't have a loving flag to begin with. gently caress I don't even think you guys flew a canadian flag during vietnam. You gotta have a flag if you're going to have a war movie you just have to otherwise you can't have a war movie.

Get it loving right Canada

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
There was a canada war movie with ricky schroeder that wasn't bad edit: oops that was about America too, forget what movie I was thinking of.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Blind Sally posted:

as a Canadian, I wish there were actual good Canadian war movies. I mean, are there any good Canadian war movies? i haven't seen Passchendale, though I heard it was only okay. a lot of the war movies from Canadian perspectives look like or are boring made-for-tv garbage.

(the only Canadian war movie I've seen is Ilsa, She-Wolf of the SS, lol)

Passchendaele is really really boring for 3/4 of its runtime. Paul gross is the only actor who has any charisma in the film and the second lead actor is just awful. The actual battle at the end is a good representation of Flanders, but most of the film views like a tourist travel guide for rural Alberta.

His next war film, Hyena Road is better apparently.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Paladinus posted:

Yeah, I'd watch that.

Everyone should see Bronson once in their lives, mainly because it has Tom Hardy's greatest role
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7llOzq_tfSw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NnDwcCIsoo

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I just remembered, Jessica Alba is pretty hot. She had a pretty banging body

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

achillesforever6 posted:

Everyone should see Bronson once in their lives, mainly because it has Tom Hardy's greatest role

Also if you want to see Tom naked.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

achillesforever6 posted:

Glad I could see Tom Hardy's softy.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Paladinus posted:

Glad I could see Tom Hardy's softy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
A Canadian WW2 movie would be problematic because our alt-right/racist idiots have adopted the red ensign (the flag before the current maple leaf) as their version of the confederate flag.

I wish I was joking.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

priznat posted:

A Canadian WW2 movie would be problematic because our alt-right/racist idiots have adopted the red ensign (the flag before the current maple leaf) as their version of the confederate flag.

I wish I was joking.

Canada is now racist forever.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

priznat posted:

I wish I was joking.

This explains why I've been seeing the old red ensign on the back of trucks that also have the loving confederate flag on them somewhere too and a bunch of pro-military stuff.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It's true but mostly against natives

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

priznat posted:

I wish I was joking.

They could do an adaptation of Three Day Road so the whole debate about Joseph Boyden daring to be a white guy writing about natives I ww1 can be dredged back up

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Randarkman posted:

You think people don't know there was an eastern front that was bigger and bloodier than the rest? Also, Hollywood is in America. When you have such multifaceted wars as WW2 you aren't necessarily limited to just making media about what's the biggest or most important arena. One of the most important factors becomes what is most relatable to your audience and the ones producing the content. For Hollywood that is going to be America and Britain, Eastern Front fans might just have to deal with it.

Also your statement seems kind of close to the sentiment of many who have read up on the Eastern Front and then seem to begin to assume that the Western Front and America and Britain's contributions were negligible by comparison. That's a fallacy. If you discount the huge importance of Britain not getting knocked out of the war in 1940 and the massive economic aid provided by the United States to both Britain and the Soviets, then there's still the fact that from 1944-1945 the Western Allies destroyed the German airforce, crippled Axis oil production, and tied down large numbers of elite mechanized and armored German formations that might have made a significant contribution in slowing down the Soviets in the East during the same period (the proportion of armored and mechanized formations was higher in both Italy, where there were many Panzergrenadier and weird LW and FJ divisions and regiments, and on the Western Front than in the East (which from 1944 received lower priority for such reinforcements). The fighting in Normandy and later in the forests in eastern France and Belgium had casualty rates that matched that of many Eastern Front battles, and from the invasion 'till the German surrender on 8 May, the Western Allies killed some 1-1.5 million Germans and captured millions more while suffering around 600-700 000 casualties themselves.

You probably know this. But just because the Eastern Front was more bloody and more important in deciding the war that doesn't make the Western Front either unimportant or unworthy of mention by comparison.

Get a load of Tom Brokaw here

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

priznat posted:

I wish I was joking.

you've got to be loving kidding me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Blind Sally posted:

you've got to be loving kidding me.

Google halifax's "proud boys".

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I wanna see a ww2 movie from the perspective of some random Ethiopian dude who kills Italians with spears and outdated rifles.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
What are Canadians racist over? People who are slightly less pale than them?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Schweinhund posted:

aboriginals and immigrants

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Schweinhund posted:

Blacks, pakis(this encompasses every brown person), first nations, the french canadians, and the english canadians.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Schweinhund posted:

We didn't murder quite as many native people as America, so there's still a ton of them around to be astoundingly racist to while we pat ourselves on the back for being slightly less genocidal.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Giga Gaia posted:

Blacks, pakis(this encompasses every brown person), first nations, the french canadians, and the english canadians.

Blacks? But there aren't any here to be racist about.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Blacks? But there aren't any here to be racist about.

That's not gonna stop trailer trash east coasters, my man.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Atomic Blonde owns even though I apparently missed some critical scene that made me totally not understand the ending.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Atomic Blonde owns even though I apparently missed some critical scene that made me totally not understand the ending.

Nah dude, you didn't miss anything. The plot does not make sense no matter how you slice it

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Akinator's so smart

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Captain Lavender posted:

Akinator's so smart

Took me 32 questions to get Jack Packard

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I tried it with Jay and it got it pretty fast, that poo poo is weird.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

vermin posted:

27 to get Rich Evans, and it guessed wrong once.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

vermin posted:

Took me 36 to get to Rich Evans.

I think this thing needs better questions or else Rich and Jack need more obvious gimmicks so web algorithms can pigeonhole them easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I did like 5 rounds but it eventually got Rich Evans because it asked "If your character quite round"

Also on the way asking 100% "youtuber" questions it pops this.

I wasn't sure how to answer.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 4, 2017

• Locked thread