Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Crabtree posted:

There's no way ME:A would lower in price that quickly, probably not even around the end of the year would it hit a sale price around 39.99.

ME3 dropped in price pretty quickly. Hit $16 on Amazon in August the year it came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

monster on a stick posted:

ME3 dropped in price pretty quickly. Hit $16 on Amazon in August the year it came out.

hell ya, ill do this probs

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Pawn 17 posted:

So uhh, is this the.Mass Effect thread? Like, yknow, for the new game coming out? I read the last few pages trying to get a sense of if I should buy it and hooooboy.

I'm not sure I'd recommend people to buy it at launch since it's unpolished as gently caress but I had a lot of fun during the demo and I want to keep playing so I'm going to get it anyway.

Maybe wait and hopefully get a more polished experience in a couple of months/years/never for cheap?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

lmao, as if 1 person is responsible for the janky animation

any good artist put under enough pressur and not enough time will produce unfinished work. im gonna go out on a limb & think bioware didnt spend enough resources making animation rather than sum
F E M A L E ruined a space game

She's listed as Lead Facial Animator from February 2016 onwards, which is obviously way way way too late for anyone on earth to fix this game. So yeah, no chance she's to blame for most of it in any way, shape or form.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

gmq posted:

Maybe wait and hopefully get a more polished experience in a couple of months/years/never for cheap?

I can say that I 100% enjoyed Dragon Age: Inquisition and I'm also 100% glad that I waited to get the GOTY edition at under $30.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

nevermind

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
I hope Saren makes an appearance, I liked him :)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

She's listed as Lead Facial Animator from February 2016 onwards, which is obviously way way way too late for anyone on earth to fix this game. So yeah, no chance she's to blame for most of it in any way, shape or form.

Not really, games have been saved from dumpster fires by heroic measures at the last minute before. But a lead is going to focus on fixing main characters over NPCs like blank stare lady.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

VideoGames posted:

I am sorry you do not wish for this thread to be better.

Your standards combined with slow enforcement are pretty optimal for hitting the sweet spot on the entertainment/efficiency curve.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

good god this looks awful

But enough about the thread, what about the game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Number Ten Cocks posted:

not great

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Trial havers, how is the weapon weight and cool down system effecting your load out choices? Are you taking a noticeable hit for too many or too heavy weapons, do you get any benefit anymore for just carrying a pistol?

I initially picked assault rifle/shotgun for my Vanguard because the starter pistol was loving garbage, but I got a much better SMG from a strike team loot box and now I'm back to that. There's also a skill in the Combat tree that increases your weight capacity and unlocks more weapon slots, so I have a third slot and COULD add a sniper rifle for maximum coverage, but I'd rather have the much faster cooldowns.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Better than the thread.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Groetgaffel posted:

Better than the thread.

Whoa let's not say anything we can't take back

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I personally thought all the weapons did lovely plink damage and were trash. I'm sure it will get better as you level and get better poo poo but it made for a pretty miserable playthrough of the trial. If they're going for making you feel really underpowered and helpless they've succeeded.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

gmq posted:

I'm not sure I'd recommend people to buy it at launch since it's unpolished as gently caress but I had a lot of fun during the demo and I want to keep playing so I'm going to get it anyway.

Cool, thanks! Guess Ill wait for a few patches and maybe a sale. I play on PC and really liked the other ME games (ME 1 especially), but I don't mind waiting a bit. Is everyone hoping for some launch day patch that will make thing better?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cams posted:

why probate utnayan instead of just probating everyone else who posts the same poo poo he does with less effort?

give utnayan a monopoly on criticizing this game, he was at least entertaining

you are worse than utnayan, think about that for a moment friend.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Pawn 17 posted:

Cool, thanks! Guess Ill wait for a few patches and maybe a sale. I play on PC and really liked the other ME games (ME 1 especially), but I don't mind waiting a bit. Is everyone hoping for some launch day patch that will make thing better?
I had some odd frame drops and 1-2 second freezes that could use a patch, otherwise it ran fine for me. Didn't have any gif-worthy instances of walking animations flipping out either.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

AndrewFL9 posted:

So how is the multiplayer? Is it basically the same as 3 where I level up guns with loot boxes? If so I'm still buying this game. The horde mode in ME3 was action packed, matches were quick, and had the fun/dissapointment of gambling with loot boxes. The whole time I felt like I was chasing the dragon and I mean that in a good way.

I'm not as dissapointed in the animations as much as other people seem to be, and I won't mind the single player as long as I can just switch to some good MP whenever I get bored. DA:I would have been a lot easier for me to get through if the multiplayer was good.

Also did anyone figure out how.multiplayer affects single player or can you not get far enough in single player yet to find out?

Yeah, multiplayer is very good (once you replace the garbo starter guns). How MP affects SP: The DA:I timed war table missions are back in the form of Strike Teams, but this time if you want to complete certain missions immediately you can play a corresponding MP match and you get the rewards immediately if you win (and no penalty whatsoever if you lose, you can even assign a strike team to a mission and then try it in multiplayer).

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Ok, I'm warming up to this game. I have a feeling the slice of Eos they gave us was pretty small, because I managed to wander around and there's a lot going on. You can't even settle the first open area!

There's definitely a bit of a Far Cry vibe to the open world but hopefully its less copy paste.

The multiplayer rules and is a good way to get a sense of the combat.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Prav posted:

hello ME thread.

i found some av material, please use it responsibly.

Where is the "Make Andromeda Great Again" hat? :colbert:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DrNutt posted:

I honestly do think that with all the talent Bioware has bled off during development of this game, they literally had to scrape the barrell in order to fill positions and wound up with long time fans instead of talented people in the industry. Think giggle squee lady.

This bullshit is literally what I think of Bioware these days when I think of Bioware.

...err, whatever.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FVQnlCgVEA
Just watched this, this dude got to play for longer than the trial and seems to have liked it.
The start is garbage and it picks up after the trial bit ends is a fairly common sentiment.
One of the things said in the video that I completely agree with is that the game feels like Mass Effect 1 if it had come out today.
Like if ME1 never happened in 2007 and came out today, ME:A would be it. Take that as you will.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groetgaffel posted:

Like if ME1 never happened in 2007 and came out today, ME:A would be it. Take that as you will.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

gmq posted:

This is more or less my feeling on it. I enjoyed the demo and I'm plowing forth. The facial animations are kinda endlessly silly but it didn't really get in the way of enjoying the game and the MP is solid.

Definitely having a hard time recommending it to people who aren't already Mass Effect fans though, unlike ME1 and ME2. Maybe the story will pick up more later.

Take a seat on daddy's lap and tell me what's wrong

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Groetgaffel posted:

Just watched this, this dude got to play for longer than the trial and seems to have liked it.
The start is garbage and it picks up after the trial bit ends is a fairly common sentiment.
One of the things said in the video that I completely agree with is that the game feels like Mass Effect 1 if it had come out today.

I definitely trust the guy with a big ol' Sponsored By EA logo in his video.

Like I don't even think the game is going to be bad anymore and I still think that's suspect af.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Real question does that guy wear a space dastar turban or is that some medical thing because he got hurt on the mission

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I don't think there's really any reason for anyone even mildly interested in ME:A to not drop the five bucks on a month of EA Access to play the demo.
If you do you get 10% off buying the full game, which basically repays the month of EA Access.
Don't like it? Play Torchlight 2 for a month, that game is loving fun. Or any of the other 66 games included in the service.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Slim Killington posted:

Real question does that guy wear a space dastar turban or is that some medical thing because he got hurt on the mission

I was trying to figure that out myself when I was playing it. I think it's a medical wrap because I don't think he was wearing it before the mission, but I could certainly be misremembering.

RaptorChief
Feb 21, 2007

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Yeah, multiplayer is very good (once you replace the garbo starter guns). How MP affects SP: The DA:I timed war table missions are back in the form of Strike Teams, but this time if you want to complete certain missions immediately you can play a corresponding MP match and you get the rewards immediately if you win (and no penalty whatsoever if you lose, you can even assign a strike team to a mission and then try it in multiplayer).

Well I'm sold then. I remember making a lot of rando origin friends because I was a stable Host for the matches. Then we lost one of our core buddies because he spent $60 on loot crates only to realize that getting the loot crates was why he was playing the game in the first place. He basically paid extra money to not have to play the game he had already paid money for.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

AndrewFL9 posted:

So how is the multiplayer? Is it basically the same as 3 where I level up guns with loot boxes? If so I'm still buying this game. The horde mode in ME3 was action packed, matches were quick, and had the fun/dissapointment of gambling with loot boxes. The whole time I felt like I was chasing the dragon and I mean that in a good way.

I'm not as dissapointed in the animations as much as other people seem to be, and I won't mind the single player as long as I can just switch to some good MP whenever I get bored. DA:I would have been a lot easier for me to get through if the multiplayer was good.

Also did anyone figure out how.multiplayer affects single player or can you not get far enough in single player yet to find out?

I recorded the tail end of one of my multiplayer matches if you want to take a look, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm8ag3WTNu4. Apparently one of the pubs got punched through the floor by an enemy.

In terms of multiplayer affecting single player, what I can see so far is fairly basic. Putting this in spoilers just in case, but basically there is a dispatch mission board similar to what was in Dragon Age: Inquisition. Some of these missions are "Apex" missions, where you have the option to queue into multiplayer to run it yourself. The benefits appear to be a pile of credits, and an item, with item rarity possibly being determined by the difficulty of the multiplayer match.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I definitely trust the guy with a big ol' Sponsored By EA logo in his video.

Like I don't even think the game is going to be bad anymore and I still think that's suspect af.
He addresses that at the end of the video. They didn't pay him, they just gave him the game for free, and you know, full disclosure is a good thing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

monster on a stick posted:

Where is the "Make Andromeda Great Again" hat? :colbert:

again implies a first time.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Space Muslim/Massive Headwound Harry should have been a party member, you know he's got a great story either way.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

I enjoy hacker sudoku.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
When does the review embargo lift? I can't wait for the feeding frenzy :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXG7cgxj7EY