Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

They've got electricity, so it's in principle possible for them to have developed the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arc_converter or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark-gap_transmitter on purpose or accident. But yeah, they are likely a few decades too early to have encountered the physical processes that would lead one to develop a theory of relativity

Do they know they have electricity? Or do they just know that putting these kinds of metal things here makes stuff go? I find it really hard to analyze the state of “science” in Scadrial since A) it’s disparate between continents and B) can’t tell if god just made a crop circle that said “plug in here” for any of their technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lawnie posted:

Do they know they have electricity? Or do they just know that putting these kinds of metal things here makes stuff go? I find it really hard to analyze the state of “science” in Scadrial since A) it’s disparate between continents and B) can’t tell if god just made a crop circle that said “plug in here” for any of their technology.

I'm not sure where you are bookwise, era 2 mistborn in general But yes they talk about electricity constantly, you even see them discover/invent new things as the era 2 timeline goes forward, they are quite obviously like 1910-20s level technology.

socialsecurity fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 12, 2024

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Lawnie posted:

They don’t have radio, their “scientists” have no loving idea about the Doppler effect

You can sort out the (is this even spoilers?) Doppler effect much more easily with sounds, which would definitely have happened previously. They also talk about sound and light distortion with bubbles.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

IN this case the lady Wax is talking with is the person who writes the blurbs in the back of the book about the magic

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Bands of Mourning

I'm like 99% sure the Lord Ruler got dusted by Vin in book 1. We saw it after all. I don't know who this airship engineer is talking about that was doing stuff for them, but I'm almost positive it wasn't him. Maybe another Cosmerenaut like that (probable) lady with the braided hair at the party.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Nitrousoxide posted:

Bands of Mourning

I'm like 99% sure the Lord Ruler got dusted by Vin in book 1. We saw it after all. I don't know who this airship engineer is talking about that was doing stuff for them, but I'm almost positive it wasn't him. Maybe another Cosmerenaut like that (probable) lady with the braided hair at the party.

This is a good question to ask and the answer is: RAFO

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I wish I liked Bands of Mourning more. It probably has some of the funniest moments out of the whole series, but I rank it 3rd for Era 2.

Plus, there is a single element of it where Brandon really disappointed me. And I will NEVER forgive him.

Around here, it’s fairly well regarded though

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

pik_d posted:

This is a good question to ask and the answer is: RAFO

Ah, judging by the statues of the "Lord Ruler" with a spike through the eye at the entrance to the temple at the top of this mountain, it must be one of his inquisitors. They would be the sort to have access to artifacts of the Lord Ruler and his deep lore and could act like Mistborn and probably could do some compounding too since IIRC they got spikes for both magic types. That would make it possible for them to impersonate him pretty easily I think. Ruin could have also passed on a lot of information about how the magic works that they seemed to be able to impart on these folks too maybe. I don't know how much insight Ruin would have had into how Preservation's power's worked, but it's at least plausible that a shard would have that kind of info.

Marsh was still around as of the first book in era 2, so it's plausible there are other inquisitors that survived Harmony's reshaping of the world and thus could have done this whole thing.

I don't know why the long con from them though. Seems to me like they could have just used the Bands to try an conquer the world if that was their aim.

Edit:
Hmm actually, now that I think about it, an inquistor would probably be pretty easy for Harmony to control what with all the spikes in 'em, so then could they really be doing this against his wishes? Is this some convoluted plot from Harmony then? But why would he do that?

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 13, 2024

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

Ah, judging by the statues of the "Lord Ruler" with a spike through the eye at the entrance to the temple at the top of this mountain, it must be one of his inquisitors. They would be the sort to have access to artifacts of the Lord Ruler and his deep lore and could act like Mistborn and probably could do some compounding too since IIRC they got spikes for both magic types. That would make it possible for them to impersonate him pretty easily I think. Ruin could have also passed on a lot of information about how the magic works that they seemed to be able to impart on these folks too maybe. I don't know how much insight Ruin would have had into how Preservation's power's worked, but it's at least plausible that a shard would have that kind of info.

Marsh was still around as of the first book in era 2, so it's plausible there are other inquisitors that survived Harmony's reshaping of the world and thus could have done this whole thing.

I don't know why the long con from them though. Seems to me like they could have just used the Bands to try an conquer the world if that was their aim.

Edit:
Hmm actually, now that I think about it, an inquistor would probably be pretty easy for Harmony to control what with all the spikes in 'em, so then could they really be doing this against his wishes? Is this some convoluted plot from Harmony then? But why would he do that?

I don't recall exactly, but how many spikes were in that statues eyes?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Lobsterpillar posted:

I don't recall exactly, but how many spikes were in that statues eyes?

Bands of Mourning
One spike. Could be Marsh himself since one spike was pushed into his skill

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
RAFO

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

Bands of Mourning
One spike. Could be Marsh himself since one spike was pushed into his skill

You've definitely seen Marsh with both spikes in the first of the era 2 books.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

socialsecurity posted:

You've definitely seen Marsh with both spikes in the first of the era 2 books.

Gotta let the user RAFO. We’re borderline serious spoilers.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Finished Bands of Mourning,

Overall I liked it quite a bit. Mr. Suit was calling some of Trell's followers "immortals" so it makes me think it's a similar relationship that the Kandra have to Harmony. And Trell being its own shard might explain why their actions might be a blind spot to Harmony too.

I remember there was a roaming shard that was killing off other shards mentioned in the Stormlight Archives and Arcanum Unbounded. I can't remember its name, but I don't think it was Trell? I think it was named something else? If it's not that roaming death Shard then my next best guess is still that it's related to the people who tried to trick the explorers in "Sixth of the Dust" into activating that device to break their prohibition on interference on the world. Though these Trell people seem far less concerned about any bars on less advanced worlds than the people did in that story. If Trell is neither of those then I've not the foggiest idea. It could be an entirely new entity.

Ol' one spike can't be Kelsier right? Like he had half his head knocked off by the Lord Ruler, and wasn't a bloodmaker, so there's no way he could have healed that up at the time. I know there's the meme about calling him "the survivor" and all but that just beggars belief for him to have survived losing half his head and having a whole crowd confirm he was dead. Maybe Harmony could have put him back together, but Wax's little interlude after his "death" seemed to indicate that the three parts of you, your body/mind/soul get irreversibly separated pretty soon after death and Sazed's ascension to godhood took places more than a year after Kelsier's death. I mean I guess Harmony could be lying about that, but I don't see why he would.

On to "Mistborn: Secret History" now.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

On to "Mistborn: Secret History" now.

Not that I need to ask, but do pop in and let us know what questions that novella answers, and what questions it raises.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Nitrous, have you read the Stormlight books?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

Nitrous, have you read the Stormlight books?

Books 1 and 2. Folks recommended I stop there and do Mistborn era 2 before starting book 3.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Books 1 and 2. Folks recommended I stop there and do Mistborn era 2 before starting book 3.
Okay then, you know this. Odium is the Shard-killer you’re trying to remember.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

Okay then, you know this. Odium is the Shard-killer you’re trying to remember.

Ah, yeah, that's the name. Thank you. I'm terrible at remembering them.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So uh... Oathbringer part 5.

(I'm not done with it, but even only 3 of 8 hours through it and I'm exhausted.)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Man, the Secret Histories is kicking rear end.

I suppose this answers the question of whether ol' One Spike could plausibly be Kelsier.

So far I've gotten to see Khriss, "The Drifter" (presumably Hoid), Fuzz (Preservation), and am currently taking a road trip through the cognitive realm toward the IRE for one last heist.

So far this is probably my favorite Mistborn book.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Nitrousoxide posted:

I suppose this answers the question of whether ol' One Spike could plausibly be Kelsier.

So far I've gotten to see Khriss, "The Drifter" (presumably Hoid), Fuzz (Preservation), and am currently taking a road trip through the cognitive realm toward the IRE for one last heist.

So far this is probably my favorite Mistborn book.

After all your questions from BoM I was really looking forward to you reading secret history, glad to see you are enjoying your answers

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

After the tickets sold out in less than an hour for the convention, some fans who got flights in advance were upwet. Apparently the venue wom't grant more tickets, but brandon had personal tickets reserved for his friends and family which are being repurposed for those fans.

Dude knows how to make fans happy.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

UNITE THEM :qq:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Mordiceius posted:

The rest of the thread waiting for you to get here:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ojjeorago posted:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Ojjeorago posted:

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Don't forget to go back and review your other recent questions when you're done, too.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Mordiceius posted:

it's so good

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

stramit posted:

it's so good

Dalinar shouting "YOU CANNOT HAVE MY PAIN" while grabbing the cognitive and spiritual realms and slamming them together to create a perpendicularity might be one of the most hype things I've ever experienced in a book.

Also, I feel like Oathbringer part 5 is a triumph in recontextualizing and giving new meaning to statements previously.

I had to stop at the next chapter because the audiobook chapter is two hours long and I don't have the time or energy to get through that at this moment.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

About time you got there. Oathbringer is my favorite Brando Sando work, by far!

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

Dalinar shouting "YOU CANNOT HAVE MY PAIN" while grabbing the cognitive and spiritual realms and slamming them together to create a perpendicularity might be one of the most hype things I've ever experienced in a book.

I audibly said, "HOLY poo poo" when I read that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Finished Secret Histories.

Re: My recent questions and suppositions:

Ol' One Spike could be Spooks or Kelsier, though I'm betting that the begger who gave Wax the metalmind coin was Spooks. With enough spikes to experiment with and some compounding he could be effectively immortal like the Lord Ruler. Though 3 spikes might be the extent of what he can do if he doesn't want Harmony to be able to control him, like Mr. Suit feared. One Spike is probably Kelsier somehow returned to the physical world, though how he got a new body I don't know. He seemed to think that Harmony was lying at least when he said that it was impossible.

I don't know what One Spike was planning with the bands of mourning, or why he made that temple on the top of the mountain.

The pits being broken had cut off Scadrial from the rest of the Cosmere, at least in the physical realm. The Drifter complained about trade being cut off. Though it seems it's been reconnected since Harmony arose as the braided hair lady at the party Wax met was probably Khriss in the physical realm, not just the cognitive realm. You can apparently walk from world to world in the cognitive world, though only enter the physical realms on each world through discrete portals of sorts. I presume areas of concentrated investiture like The Pits.

"The Drifter" (presumably Hoid) apparently has a paddle boat of sorts that lets him pass between realms, even if otherwise cut off like Scadrial was.

Kelsier's transition to an entity entirely of the cognative realm is apparently not unheard of, as Khriss and her company recognized what had happened to him and complained that it wasn't done in the proper way. Makes me wonder if the Spren were once similarly humans.

The Ire were under the auspice of the Devotion shard apparently, since they swore using its name. That would put them in the Selish system according to Arcanum Unbounded. So the same world as Elantris and Emperor's Soul.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
About to finish as well, and part 5 sure rules.

Mordiceius posted:

:thurman:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Finished Secret Histories.

Re: My recent questions and suppositions:

Ol' One Spike could be Spooks or Kelsier, though I'm betting that the begger who gave Wax the metalmind coin was Spooks. With enough spikes to experiment with and some compounding he could be effectively immortal like the Lord Ruler. Though 3 spikes might be the extent of what he can do if he doesn't want Harmony to be able to control him, like Mr. Suit feared. One Spike is probably Kelsier somehow returned to the physical world, though how he got a new body I don't know. He seemed to think that Harmony was lying at least when he said that it was impossible.

I don't know what One Spike was planning with the bands of mourning, or why he made that temple on the top of the mountain.

The pits being broken had cut off Scadrial from the rest of the Cosmere, at least in the physical realm. The Drifter complained about trade being cut off. Though it seems it's been reconnected since Harmony arose as the braided hair lady at the party Wax met was probably Khriss in the physical realm, not just the cognitive realm. You can apparently walk from world to world in the cognitive world, though only enter the physical realms on each world through discrete portals of sorts. I presume areas of concentrated investiture like The Pits.

"The Drifter" (presumably Hoid) apparently has a paddle boat of sorts that lets him pass between realms, even if otherwise cut off like Scadrial was.

Kelsier's transition to an entity entirely of the cognative realm is apparently not unheard of, as Khriss and her company recognized what had happened to him and complained that it wasn't done in the proper way. Makes me wonder if the Spren were once similarly humans.

The Ire were under the auspice of the Devotion shard apparently, since they swore using its name. That would put them in the Selish system according to Arcanum Unbounded. So the same world as Elantris and Emperor's Soul.

If you are post Bands of Mourning and Secret History, you should have details to a lot of this stuff. Here are some of those details for clarifications purposes:

"Ol' One Spike" is Kelsier. Even before Secret History, this is outlined in the Bands of Mourning epilogue. Kelsier feels the spike over his eye and then looks down at his arms covered in scars.

The Beggar is Hoid.

The Driver is also Hoid.

The Ire are indeed Elantrians

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

If you are post Bands of Mourning and Secret History, you should have details to a lot of this stuff. Here are some of those details for clarifications purposes:

"Ol' One Spike" is Kelsier. Even before Secret History, this is outlined in the Bands of Mourning epilogue. Kelsier feels the spike over his eye and then looks down at his arms covered in scars.

The Beggar is Hoid.

The Driver is also Hoid.

The Ire are indeed Elantrians
Also the "Lord Mistborn" that the Era 2 Scadrians refer to is Spook. This should've been obvious when you saw the "High Imperial" inscription above that library.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
Oathbringer Part 5 was everything I wanted this series to be as far as the 'small moments leading to big payoffs at the end'. Peak Sanderlanche. Probably the most similar to a Wheel of Time book in that regard. Extremely minor WoT spoilers - The battle at the end very much felt like the Last Battle chapter of WoT with the 1v1 moments happening while others fight the ultimate evil and others fend off the hoards and it was just perfect for my tastes. Love that feeling of controlled chaos. Nice to be immersed in a story where there is a plan for a satisfying conclusion.

Had the highest highs and the lowest lows of the three books for me so far. Obviously, the ending ruled but I really was not feeling the Shadesmar section. Really felt like killing time in a way the story has not done before - all the 'nothing happens' scenes prior to that felt like they inched the plot along. Maybe it's recontextualized for me with further information, who knows.

81sidewinder posted:

Predictions after WoK

1. Dalinar's visions are obviously the 'big bad' of the story, and are probably the underlying threat going on while the people jockey for position in the worlds of men. Bringing back the Knights Radiant is a books-long story and it's probably going to pay off in book 5.

2. Shallan and Kaladin have a romance that is complicated by their roles in the conflict. When they ultimately get together, it will be a great moment.

3. Szeth is the Han Solo/Lan Mandragoron of the story. He continues to be a tortured badass and ultimately joins the heroes.

4. The truth about Dalinar's wife rocks the heroes in a big way - his relationship with either Adolin or Navani is dramatically altered when we learn the truth

5. Elhokar is likely to die pretty quickly to create a power vacuum

81sidewinder posted:

Finished WoR

1.I think this was pretty explicitly correct by the end of WoR, excited to see how we get all ten different Knights, and who they are. Obviously, some of them are people from the story we have already met. Feeling like some interlude characters are a fit for this. Lift seems particularly likely, since her interlude really didn't play into the rest of the story yet.

2. Still holding out for this. Kal, Shallan and Adolin becoming a throuple is obviously not happening, but is where my mind goes after coming off of Wheel of Time.

3. Still feel strongly about this, especially after his breakthrough at the end of WoR. He's obviously going to be significant. Either joining the heroes or getting much worse and becoming one of the main antagonists.

4. Since we have already gotten the Kalladin and Shallan flashbacks focused on in the first two books, I think we are due for this. Feel very strongly that there is something sinister in those erased memories.

5. Didn't explicitly say this in the last post, but I thought Elhokar dying would be like a part 1 event and they picked up the pieces later. Things are obviously going in a different direction, since Dallinar is essentially king now already. Redemption arc for Elhokar? Really don't see how he fits in now as a lame duck

Thoughts about these theories after Oathbringer -

1. The Knights Radiant plot went faster than I thought, really don't know where we go in book four - the big showdown seems like our obvious book five plot, but not sure what twist is coming in RoW

2. Coward Brandon didn't do the throuple, sadly. The love triangle really ran out of steam for me, and the Shadesmar scenes didn't have the juice that we had from when Kaladin and Shallan were in the chasm during Words of Radiance. Glad we got a definitive next step in this storyline with the marriage.

3. The Assassins in White rules, and I'm excited for more background on him. I predict he will continue to be a badass and show up at just the right moments to save the day or raise some kind of hell.

4. The Dallinar flashbacks were probably the best of the three, his had the most relevance to both his personal growth and also moving the plot forward.

5.Elhokar lasted a lot longer than I thought, and we seemingly end up with King Dalinar anyway. Elhokar death was a blockbuster moment, one of my favorite of this book.

Predictions for 4 and 5

lol, no clue where we go from here. I don't know how book 4 fits into the narrative arc here, because it's really kind of time to rally the troops, get some background and have the final showdown. The stakes are already so high, I just don't know what we do between this moment and the 'final' showdown in 5. Oathbringer almost had too much happen, lol.

We will absolutely get some D and D manual stuff about how everyone's powers work that I'm not super excited about.

Kaladin is immortal and is the only one who lives through all the battles for the next phase in book 6

Seriously though -
1. Fleshing out the Parshendi makes sense, getting more info on their world before humans arrived.

2. Book four is mostly about Dalinar trying to rally all the nations together and hitting roadblocks

3. Taravangian finally makes a selfless choice to help the heroes

4. Lift backstory about her mystery feels eminent too. How is she perpetually a kid?

5. Anyone that isn't Kaladin feels like they could be gone by the end of book five, and I think we have a major death in book 4 to get the heroes on the back foot going into that final showdown

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'm almost done with Oathbringer (just finished the 2 hour chapter, will probably try to wrap up the other to chapters tonight). Hopefully get my thoughts written up tomorrow.

Unfortunately, I know one major spoiler from RoW (the owner change of the Odium shard) but beyond that, I have no fuckin clue what they're going to do to fill the duration of that book.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Mordiceius posted:

I'm almost done with Oathbringer (just finished the 2 hour chapter, will probably try to wrap up the other to chapters tonight). Hopefully get my thoughts written up tomorrow.

Unfortunately, I know one major spoiler from RoW (the owner change of the Odium shard) but beyond that, I have no fuckin clue what they're going to do to fill the duration of that book.

Ahh dang that’s a big surprise that’s been spoiled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Mordiceius posted:

Ah drat, that was the one thing I didn't get spoiled on as I just blitzed the book in a day and a half, bummer you got spoiled on the biggest RoW twist. It's a drat good book and it goes hard in a bunch of spots but that was my biggest WHAT THE gently caress of the whole book.