Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/Juicemanji/status/1211800013317083136?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

why does he look like the edge’s stunt double

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

why does he look like the edge’s stunt double

a certain type of rich LA guy starts dressing like that when they're in their 50s

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Also when did Bill Simmons get fat, it's not clear in that picture but he def a fatty now.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

ilmucche posted:

I wonder how many of these are doctor suggestions in a weird competition to come up with the most ridiculous story.

"Yes Mr Jones what happened?"
"Well I was trying to massage my prostate with a spoon...."
"Hmmm, how about we go with jumped off the couch instead?"
"Yeah!"

I'm pretty sure :thejoke: is about people making up truly bizarre poo poo when they have to explain to medical personnel how some random household object wound up wedged in their colon (especially if their wife is sitting beside them at the time)

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

DJExile posted:

We are closing in on the point to where deadspin will not have updated in 2 months

I had a dream last night that the Deadspinners had retaken Deadspin and were posting stuff as a workers coop.

My dreams are so much better than real life.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

habeasdorkus posted:

I had a dream last night that the Deadspinners had retaken Deadspin and were posting stuff as a workers coop.

My dreams are so much better than real life.

I dont know if you mean co-op, coups, or like a chicken coop full of writers, and I'm honestly not sure which I'd prefer to imagine.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm pretty sure :thejoke: is about people making up truly bizarre poo poo when they have to explain to medical personnel how some random household object wound up wedged in their colon (especially if their wife is sitting beside them at the time)

Yeah, I just wonder if ts always the spoon in butt people who come up with it or if the doctors make suggestions for them.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Up front apologies, I don't read this thread/subforum but it seems like this might be the best place to ask. It's a huge thread as well so I up front didn't try to look back on past pages for info.

I'm a very casual sports fan, but I absolutely loved Deadspin. I'm following most of the writers on Twitter now, but is there any other sports type site that is recommended for Deadspin refugees?

I don't think anything could replace that site, but I'm just lost on where to go next.

Deadspin forever.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

@undeadspin on Twitter is posting links to all the former writers and their new work across various sites

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

DJExile posted:

@undeadspin on Twitter is posting links to all the former writers and their new work across various sites

Yea for sure, following that. I like supporting them in their new jobs (those who fortunately landed some I guess) so will continue to do that.

But I guess my question comes down to what is the next closest sports site that uses a similar voice as Deadspin?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

`Nemesis posted:

Yea for sure, following that. I like supporting them in their new jobs (those who fortunately landed some I guess) so will continue to do that.

But I guess my question comes down to what is the next closest sports site that uses a similar voice as Deadspin?

It was sort of one of a kind really.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I could be wrong on this but the heyday of the mid 2000s sports blogs seems long gone at this point. Kissing Suzy Kolber, Fire Joe Morgan, all those kind of places either just quietly died, got bought up and merged into something bigger, or had their writers get snatched up somewhere else. Deadspin was easily the biggest of them and they evolved past that point into something better. At this point the only thing like deadspin on a big scale are going to be lovely places like barstool or just your basic generic-to-lovely clickbait sites like SBN's main page or whatever vice and buzzfeed are doing these days.

People liked deadspin for good reason, it was unique as hell. The double-edged sword to that uniqueness is that when you get a situation like this, there isn't really any replacement.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I went to Deadspin because gawker died. But yeah follow @undeadspin and the various authors on twitter (Drew, Roth).

I mean this would have been great deadspin content:

https://twitter.com/MichaelCrews6/status/1210976572540358657

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/alex_kirshner/status/1211765622511689729

lol this is great

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

iwentdoodie posted:

I dont know if you mean co-op, coups, or like a chicken coop full of writers, and I'm honestly not sure which I'd prefer to imagine.

Co-op, but chicken coops would have been way more dreamlike.

e: right prior to this part of the dream was Jon Bois posting at Deadspin and dream me thinking "oh, he'd never be a scab, so deadspin must be good again."

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 31, 2019

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
UnDeadspin has started slowing down - I've seen articles from Roth, Theisen, and Paez-Pumar that haven't gotten retweeted.

Following individual writers is the best way to go.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Deadspin was a real back door to sports fans re-examining their worldview from a leftist perspective, and frankly I’m glad they don’t get to serve that function any more.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

General Dog posted:

Deadspin was a real back door to sports fans re-examining their worldview from a leftist perspective, and frankly I’m glad they don’t get to serve that function any more.

Lol I love your commitment

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

it’s a weird bit, but it’s honest work

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NYJ beat reporter Manish Mehta is now thought to be behind the supposed Adam Gase burner account.

Yes, it's all as dumb as it sounds

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Rip Deadspin

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
loving Barstool is catching this stuff now?

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I’m still not over the loss of the Dugout.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The dugout got memory holed at the right time because there was a whole lotta racism and homophobia in there.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

every single time that i almost go to deadspin, i immediately think of the editor in chief guy posting the words "how dumbass are you" when trying to put up deadspin style posts

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

ilmucche posted:

Yeah, I just wonder if ts always the spoon in butt people who come up with it or if the doctors make suggestions for them.

They are given a pamphlet that lists suggestions called, "So You Jammed Something Up Your rear end."

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Don't worry about it, buddy, a lot of people try to. . . (Doctor checks the back of the pamphlet) . . . Prove love is real? Giddyup Buckaroo? Ah, this is the Chuck Tingle edition. Nevermind.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The outline has an article on online bill simmons fans existing now to own bill simmons online that i think is germane to this thread.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

The outline has an article on online bill simmons fans existing now to own bill simmons online that i think is germane to this thread.

Want to toss us a link on that bad boy?

edit: here it is

I can confirm that r/billsimmons is quite good

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I mean, doesn't everyone agree that Bill should have disappeared to behind the scenes work after the 2004 world series?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think what's both annoying and kind of charming about Simmons is that while you'd assume that some of the dumber things he's said are just his shtick (like you get from Bayless or Cowherd or Stephen A.), I think almost all of it is actually totally sincere. After all these years, he still buys into his dumbest truisms 100%, and that's kind of sweet. There's a guilelessness to him that's a little bit endearing. In a sea of semi-ironic stupidity, it's kind of like finding a treasure when you find unblemished, real-deal stupidity.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 2, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ElwoodCuse posted:

I mean, doesn't everyone agree that Bill should have disappeared to behind the scenes work after the 2004 world series?

He is the most popular thing about every site he's worked for so I assume not everyone agrees, no. There is no way Grantland happens without him and the ringer would have crashed and burned hard if didn't have his podcasts anchoring it and making all the money

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Watch out someone's Writing here

quote:

The game is the thing. It always has been, ever since nail first met peach basket over the track at the YMCA in Springfield, Massachusetts, 128 years ago last month.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/1/1/21045783/david-stern-obituary-nba-commissioner

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Webster's Dictionary defines "Greatness" as

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

General Dog posted:

Want to toss us a link on that bad boy?

edit: here it is

I can confirm that r/billsimmons is quite good

For a given value of good that includes bragging about how you owned a literal child at video games. It would be cool if just one single mock thread could avoid descending into weird stalker territory.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MourningView posted:

The dugout got memory holed at the right time because there was a whole lotta racism and homophobia in there.

It's a shame it seems to be a victim of purchases, mergers, etc., but man I do wish it kind of just existed in amber like Achewood to return to. You're probably right, it's probably for the best, but when it was good it was pretty funny.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

harperdc posted:

It's a shame it seems to be a victim of purchases, mergers, etc., but man I do wish it kind of just existed in amber like Achewood to return to. You're probably right, it's probably for the best, but when it was good it was pretty funny.

Oh a lot of it was super funny and I loved it at the time, I'm not going to pretend otherwise. I'm just staying there was a lot of "lol people of color sure talk funny" and "lol what if arod but gay" jokes

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Schremp Howard posted:

I’m still not over the loss of the Dugout.

HI GUYS IT'S JI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

mactheknife posted:

HI GUYS IT'S JI

JIM THOME