Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
None of the new mechs say "buy me". They look cool I guess?

The actual good stuff (the new tech) is "free" (well c-bills anyway) so that's all fine on that front.

Light fusion engines for IS might encourage me to break out my relic mechs and jump back in for some goon drops. Especially now the skill revamp is temporarily/indefinitely canned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Imperium doesn't actually pay money. If you can string your words together well enough to do game writing - which is real work - then go pitch to a site that pays an actual per-word rate.

If Mittani wants to monetize goons, he can do better than fake space money in a lovely MMO for pay.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
I will so cram RACs on any mech I can if they are not complete dogshit.

My terrible napkin math tells me I can fit 6 RAC/2 on a KCG-000 with a Light 300 engine and ~10 tons of ammo.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Zernach posted:

I will so cram RACs on any mech I can if they are not complete dogshit.

My terrible napkin math tells me I can fit 6 RAC/2 on a KCG-000 with a Light 300 engine and ~10 tons of ammo.

Racs on racs on racs

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I hope RACs are good because I really enjoy ballistic spamming people to death.

If nothing else I guess this means I get to replicate my 2x UAC2 adder build on some lovely IS lights, so that's cool.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Anticheese posted:

I got mod permission to ask about this quite some time ago (Thanks, VideoGames!), and with the announcement, now's the perfect time to ask.

Some of you may remember me as the editor behind the MWO team in the early days of TheMittani.com (TMC). I'd like to give a shout out to PTN, Fil, Ceasetohope, Pringlescan, and everyone else who was a part of the team in those days. You guys were amazing to work with, and it was amazing to draw so much out of the game in its early state.

TMC is now dead. Long live Imperium News (INN). A lot more than the URL and name has changed - the laissez-faire org structure has been gutted and replaced with something structured, the terrible Drupal backend is gone along with the large activity requirement (there's even a system for readers to submit one-off articles without commitment) and everything is conveniently run through Discord. I'm now in charge of the editorial division, but whether that's an improvement or not is up to you.

I would like to recruit MWO writers! Between the skill rework and the new tech, there's enough happening to make a closer look worthwhile, and as I said, you guys have been amazing to work with. If you're interested, I'd love to hear from you via PM, on our Discord server, in the thread, or whatever is most convenient for you. I look forward to talking, and perhaps working again with you guys soon!

I mean... I could do you a thousand words a week on MWO but they'd all be "FART". There's new stuff coming up but the issues with the game are the same as they were when I stopped writing for TMDC three/four years ago, to whit: CW is dull, a significant chunk of mechs are at best suboptimal and at worst garbage, and they choose to interact with the community via NGNG and Russ' twitter account and not anywhere else. Has Russ appeared on any news site or fan podcast other than NGNG? I remember that you managed a half decent interview with him back in the day, cheese, but the one I was supposed to do with him and Bryan got downgraded to just Russ, then became "send us the question list over and we'll answer it by email" and then all the answers were boring equivocation. Covering MWO seems about as useful as covering Star Citizen only with a less rabid fanbase so it's not as much fun.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Fil5000 posted:

I mean... I could do you a thousand words a week on MWO but they'd all be "FART". There's new stuff coming up but the issues with the game are the same as they were when I stopped writing for TMDC three/four years ago, to whit: CW is dull, a significant chunk of mechs are at best suboptimal and at worst garbage, and they choose to interact with the community via NGNG and Russ' twitter account and not anywhere else. Has Russ appeared on any news site or fan podcast other than NGNG? I remember that you managed a half decent interview with him back in the day, cheese, but the one I was supposed to do with him and Bryan got downgraded to just Russ, then became "send us the question list over and we'll answer it by email" and then all the answers were boring equivocation. Covering MWO seems about as useful as covering Star Citizen only with a less rabid fanbase so it's not as much fun.

Honestly? I completely agree. I just foresee one or two articles on the changes when they arrive, how they affect things, and if they're worth coming back for. Quality, not quantity, and it'll be well over my dead body when I start trying to force a crapload of low-content articles out. Asking for MWO writers did give the impression of wanting a thousand words a week, but I just reckon taking a good, honest look at the game as these new things come out is the right path, since those are the first really big things in the game since, well, promises of CW were a thing.

I'm asking because you guys really know your stuff, are good writers, and can be honest about the game. I'm sorry I gave the impression I was looking for churning out a pile of fanbait.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Anticheese posted:

Honestly? I completely agree. I just foresee one or two articles on the changes when they arrive, how they affect things, and if they're worth coming back for. Quality, not quantity, and it'll be well over my dead body when I start trying to force a crapload of low-content articles out. Asking for MWO writers did give the impression of wanting a thousand words a week, but I just reckon taking a good, honest look at the game as these new things come out is the right path, since those are the first really big things in the game since, well, promises of CW were a thing.

I'm asking because you guys really know your stuff, are good writers, and can be honest about the game. I'm sorry I gave the impression I was looking for churning out a pile of fanbait.

Nah, you didn't give that impression, certainly not the "pile of fanbait" stuff, I was mostly having a rant about how little the game seems to have moved in a few years.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

Imperium doesn't actually pay money. If you can string your words together well enough to do game writing - which is real work - then go pitch to a site that pays an actual per-word rate.

If Mittani wants to monetize goons, he can do better than fake space money in a lovely MMO for pay.

What, you didn't buy glorious H1Z1 at his bidding? It's totally better than Day Z.

As for writing for MWO, I think it'd be pointless if any of you wasted your time on that. Those of us who still play mainly just do it out of habit and we enjoy each others company. This game is gonna head towards another fracture point when they release the new tech and everyone knows it's gonna be another clusterfuck. It's fun with goons cause we stopped giving a gently caress awhile ago and just really mess around.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Skoll posted:

What, you didn't buy glorious H1Z1 at his bidding? It's totally better than Day Z.

As for writing for MWO, I think it'd be pointless if any of you wasted your time on that. Those of us who still play mainly just do it out of habit and we enjoy each others company. This game is gonna head towards another fracture point when they release the new tech and everyone knows it's gonna be another clusterfuck. It's fun with goons cause we stopped giving a gently caress awhile ago and just really mess around.

Not to mention Battletech is still on the horizon.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I can't wait for a single RAC/2 to trigger ghost heat with itself and shut the user down after firing a single one for 3 seconds.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I can't wait for a single RAC/2 to trigger ghost heat with itself and shut the user down after firing a single one for 3 seconds.

The obvious fix is to remove ghost heat from RAC/2s so that a king crab can have six of them and mow down everyone like a tommy gun drive-by in a mafia crime drama.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Commoners posted:

The obvious fix is to remove ghost heat from RAC/2s so that a king crab can have six of them and mow down everyone like a tommy gun drive-by in a mafia crime drama.

I would buy a King Crab just for this.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Right so instead of being able to fire 6 AC/2s for like 4 seconds you can fire 4-6 RACs for... what? 2-4 seconds before heat and jamming fucks you?

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Plek posted:

Right so instead of being able to fire 6 AC/2s for like 4 seconds you can fire 4-6 RACs for... what? 2-4 seconds before heat and jamming fucks you?

It's either 2 uac5's/ 4 ac2's, or 4 uac5's. The 6 ac2's just never works. You gotta get in there and brawl at some point.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

armchairyoda posted:

It's either 2 uac5's/ 4 ac2's, or 4 uac5's. The 6 ac2's just never works. You gotta get in there and brawl at some point.

This is false and you should firecontrol 6 AC2s into a nonstop nonjamming RAC-2 of death minor annoyance and screen shaking.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Great Beer posted:

This is false and you should firecontrol 6 AC2s into a nonstop nonjamming RAC-2 of death minor annoyance and screen shaking.

What he said.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Great Beer posted:

You should also have the script gently caress up and have all the pubbies on your team freak out and start shooting each other.

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib

johntherussian fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 15, 2017

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The anti skoll

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Great Beer posted:

This is false and I will fight u irl.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Pretty upset there won't be some skill tree change soon. I was counting on getting back all those cbills I spent on skills to get some XL engines. Now I guess I'll have to start saving for light xls from scratch

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
His money. :shrug:

I spend just as much, if not more, in ammo.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Did this game ever get good? I have not played since launch except for a few brief forays.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

Did this game ever get good? I have not played since launch except for a few brief forays.

Game is still not good :(. The best part of it is trolling pubbies.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

It's fun with goons if you're drunk and don't give a gently caress. We mainly play it for each others company now.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I have 2250 MC, what's a good thing to spend it on?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

10 mech bays and a commando 2d

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe

Skoll posted:

It's fun with goons if you're drunk and don't give a gently caress. We mainly play it for each others company now.

Skoll is a wise person. Just drink and embrace the No Caring.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

Colors, decals and one-shot camos to trick out your mechs.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

Hoard it for sales. Get a Pirates Bane.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Bobcats posted:

I had to uninstall because my limit of hearing 30-something guys whine over voice was hit and I hit a skill wall because of 30 FPS on my GTX260

Will miss Mech Of Duty with Cicadas, Vipers, and Locusts but it became a drag

Someone hand me down this guy a graphics card jfc.

If you're in the U.K. I've got a couple you could have

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I've been out of the loop for like 6 months, I heard that MWO is back to being a dumpsterfire; What happened?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

What do you mean back to being? (Solid Name + Avatar + Post Combo)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I like the part when the company's president/ceo/whatever called his paying customers cheapskates.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

Banano posted:

Someone hand me down this guy a graphics card jfc.

If you're in the U.K. I've got a couple you could have

Nah it's cool, really. I try to make gaming a low priority because long ago I was utterly focused on Eve :rolleyes: to the point where I was missing out on life. I built this box kind of cheaply years ago and at this point the PSU, mainboard- really the whole shebang needs replacing. Andromeda and Wildlands are looking like turds so the gaming PC might stay old.

The Mac takes all the money.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Bobcats posted:

Nah it's cool, really. I try to make gaming a low priority because long ago I was utterly focused on Eve :rolleyes: to the point where I was missing out on life. I built this box kind of cheaply years ago and at this point the PSU, mainboard- really the whole shebang needs replacing. Andromeda and Wildlands are looking like turds so the gaming PC might stay old.

Don't know what you've been reading but Wildlands is pretty fun. Not the best thing ever, but a really solid game.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

BattleTech posted:

I've been out of the loop for like 6 months, I heard that MWO is back to being a dumpsterfire; What happened?

pgi has made two attempts at Huge Sweeping Game Updates that were badly implemented and got spiked before being moved from test to the live game

the live game itself has barely changed. there's a new, very snipey clan heavy now, i guess.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
They just started up a St Patrick's themed loot bag event. The big prize this time is a Banshee champion robot.
https://mwomercs.com/tournaments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Bobcats posted:

If it's a loaded up pro model you should be fine. I can play decently booted in Win10 via boot camp on a loaded 2015 MBP.

I believe in you.

• Locked thread