Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Nolgthorn posted:

It's just an allegation so far guys. I'm not rooting for Unity or anything but lets not jump all over someone just because there's an allegation.

believe women

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

if you don't have much already tied up in unity now's a good time to switch to godot anyways, static typing and tilesets that aren't a huge headache to get working have been great for me so far

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

I could have sworn their was a PYF bugs but I'll throw it here

someone posted a video on their stack overflow question about how to add joint constraints and it's amazing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZvdZGUxbbc

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Ruzihm posted:

There was a Post Your Glitches in Cavern of Cobol, but it's archived apparently.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ruzihm posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3493510

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

CYBEReris posted:

if you don't have much already tied up in unity now's a good time to switch to godot anyways, static typing and tilesets that aren't a huge headache to get working have been great for me so far

No offence, but if you've been using anything but C# to program for Unity... :mrwhite:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

:cheerdoge:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

SnowblindFatal posted:

No offence, but if you've been using anything but C# to program for Unity... :mrwhite:

im comparing Godot Now to Godot Past there, not Godot to Unity. Godot just got static typing with 3.1

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

CYBEReris posted:

im comparing Godot Now to Godot Past there, not Godot to Unity. Godot just got static typing with 3.1

It’s buggy. I have opened bug tickets, and there seem to be a lot of bug reports related to the type system. There are also some wacky memory issues. For instance, if you pass an array to a function, that array sticks around even after everything has gone out of scope. The next time you call the function, it’s like you’re still working with the array from the previous call. It just sort of hangs around forever, unless you explicitly set the array to []. Another example is that any project you add a typed object to spews a bunch of “Objects still exist” errors when you exit. The 3.2-dev branch is even worse, but whatever; it’s not an official release.

I’ve struggled with Unity for years, never finishing anything more than small projects, and I’m always on the lookout for alternatives. I am trying really, really hard to like Godot, as it is one alternative that seems to have some momentum. If you look at the last time I asked about it in the other game dev thread, that’s when I started back in on Godot, relly determined to power through. I watched videos, and read documentation, and started a project. Every time I feel like I’m getting somewhere, I run into a frustrating design decision, useless documentation, or outright bugs.

I spent an embarassing amount of time the other day figuring out why my Area2D -> CollisionShape2D combo (already a kind of weird way of doing things) wasn’t registering mouse events. It turns out that, oops, if it moves in front of a Control, the control will swallow the events, no matter where in the hierarchy your Area2D is, and setting the control to “pass” doesn’t work, because your Area2D/CollisionShape2D aren’t Controls, so even if you put them in a tree with the control that’s swallowing events, the events never bubble up to them*. You can set the Control to “ignore,” but screw you if you want to have both objects respond to clicks. You can just track mouse activity globally and check every single item in your scene to see which one(s) got clicked.

I know I can just write code, and forget using scene editors and entity systems and whatnot from engines like Unity or Godot, but I don’t want to. I don’t want to be a crusty old coder stuck in his ways, who never learns to do anything new, but I’m having as much frustration with Godot as I do with Unity, and the point of forcing myself to stick with Godot is that people keep saying how much nicer it felt to work with than Unity.

I apologize for this rant, but I’ve been pressing on with Godot for like a month, and I have almost nothing to show for it except a sore rear end and increased blood pressure.

* This seems to be what’s going on, but I’m not actually sure. I don’t remember all the inheritence chains for the types involved.

Veni Vidi Ameche! fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 11, 2019

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
My experience using Godot 3.1 is awesome. I have run into a few problems, there are thousands of open issues on github and loads of diligent contributors who are more capable developers than I, but these problems haven't had a significant impact on me. Usually it had to do with my understanding of how things are "supposed" to work, Godot often has it right.

Like applying color to each vertex for example is much closer to the way 3d engines work under the hood. Godot doesn't do a lot of magic which suits my personality better.

Your controls swallowing mouse clicks so they don't propagate down through everything in your application is just a default, you can change that in your control node's properties. I got hit with getters and setters, which apparently are bypassed if you're within a class that defines them, or inherit from it. So you have to use the setter function explicitly that set me back days. But I'm still getting so much more done with Godot than I ever did with unity I'm actually thrilled about it. I kind of love the gdscript language just because it's so tightly coupled with the engine, can't imagine using c# with godot at this point though I've seen some people doing it and they don't apparently mind the extra boilerplate.

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 11, 2019

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Types in gdscript are very basic, like I can say "this is an array" but I can't say "this is an array of MyClass" for example, that I know of, not easily anyway. And gdscript being strictly opposed to circular dependencies bites in ways you wouldn't expect, especially with the new ability to define class name's that are used globally throughout the project. I often find that I can't define a type for something because defining the type leads to a circular dependency. That is annoying as butt, but so far that's been my biggest gripe with the whole thing.

Ultimately I can just decide that a certain type isn't important, then I don't get sweet code completion on the value though.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I don't get this, its like, The Person who invented Cryptography was a kiddie fiddler so we should all boycott cryptography...

GROW UP, If someone has done something we find disgusting, but they also did something we like, we can personally hate the person but still like what they did - what if Flemming was a rapist. Would we all eschew penecillin?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I listened to an entire podcast where adults were discussing whether or not they could still aprreciate art by someone who turned out to be racist. Like, full grown adults were talking about this for 2 hours.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Nolgthorn posted:

I listened to an entire podcast where adults were discussing whether or not they could still aprreciate art by someone who turned out to be racist. Like, full grown adults were talking about this for 2 hours.

Exactly, This is the problem with today, the Witch hunts trying to ruin people, I remember when I was younger it was the usual for teenage girls to walk up to businessmen walking down the street and demand £50 and if they didnt give it they would scream rape. as all it takes is one rumor and the man would be fired from his job and he would be under suspicion even if nothing ever happened. (and can still happen today) I remember when some women claimed they were raped by Cliff Richard. it ended up being baseless but it stained him at the time.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
He abused his employees at his old employer, so why would you, as a third party, be so quick to defend him against similar accusations at his new employer? I'm not saying you should instantly condemn him, but to try to brush it off immediately as false is pretty :psypop:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Huh, lotta very sane, very normal opinions in this thread today.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

josh04 posted:

Huh, lotta very sane, very normal opinions in this thread today.

I dunno if you've noticed bub, but satire has been killed. Every single possible opinion is held by real people now so you have to be straight up. I can't tell what position you're backing with stuff like this anymore.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

TheresaJayne posted:

I don't get this, its like, The Person who invented Cryptography was a kiddie fiddler so we should all boycott cryptography...

GROW UP, If someone has done something we find disgusting, but they also did something we like, we can personally hate the person but still like what they did - what if Flemming was a rapist. Would we all eschew penecillin?

The difference is that the inventor of cryptography is not getting commission from every use of cryptography and Fleming doesn't get royalties from every antibiotic sold.

You idiot. You utter loving moron.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Maybe Unity does the right thing and sacks him, I haven't followed this story so I don't know if they already tried to sweep this under the rug.

Crap, I really do like using it though.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I’m updating Unity right now in preparation for a game jam.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I hope the bad man steps down and the employees making a good tool I enjoy using can keep doing their thing

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

a cyberpunk goose posted:

I hope the bad man steps down and the employees making a good tool I enjoy using can keep doing their thing

I hope that too! But it's not going to happen because rich people will never face consequences for their actions.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Is Phaser a good choice for a simple 2d game for web, ios, and android? Or choose pixi? Or something else.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I really like Phaser, it's very easy to work with. I haven't tried anything else vOv

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm using three.js right now, and have messed around with pixi.

I didn't have any real problems with either of them.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

mike12345 posted:

Is Phaser a good choice for a simple 2d game for web, ios, and android? Or choose pixi? Or something else.

Phaser is Pixi except with a ~ton~ of extra stuff on top. The issue is that you'll probably only need maybe 2 or 3 of those things, and then the other 600 things that come with Phaser will drive you crazy. I'd highly recommend trying just Pixi if you're comfortable with javascript—it's really well-documented and pretty powerful.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Ok, I'll give it a try, ta

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
Is anybody familiar with how steam workshop items work?

I have uploaded an item..
and when steam downloads it, it appears here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\630640\1774245735

But I can't figure out how to, in my program, programmatically get at this folder as it relates to the actual workshop item.

e: somebody on the steam forums pointed me at GetItemInstallInfo()

baby puzzle fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 19, 2019

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Is there a thread for writing games in Twine? I'm not finding any but I could just be Bad At Searching.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Not that I'm aware of. Theres the Making Games Megathread, but that's not twine specific.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506853

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Would anyone know why loading a prefab using local Assetbundles would act differently than using Resources.Load?

Specifically, I'm trying to load a background. The prefab loads and displays, but these are the two issues that are popping up when using an Assetbundle.

- The camera depth seems hosed up and the background appears on top of the models, despite the depth being set up correctly. Using Resources.Load, it works as expected.
- A script on the prefab calls a LeanTween library, but all of those LeanTween animations are returning "not set to an instance of an object" errors, even though the objects are showing in the debug inspector.

edit: My guess would be that this is some sort of synchronicity issue, and I need to pause a bunch of scripts until the assetbundle is fully loaded?...

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 4, 2019

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

Would anyone know why loading a prefab using Assetbundles would act differently than using Resources.Load?

Specifically, I'm trying to load a background. The prefab loads and displays, but these are the two issues that are popping up when using an Assetbundle.

- The camera depth seems hosed up and the background appears on top of the models, despite the depth being set up correctly. Using Resources.Load, it works as expected.
- A script on the prefab calls a LeanTween library, but all of those LeanTween animations are returning "not set to an instance of an object" errors, even though the objects are showing in the debug inspector.

For the second one: does this still happen if you do the load in a coroutine and then wait 1 frame before kicking off your first scripts run in the asset bundle? (Try moving effected logic out of the unity Awake/Start methods and invoking it after a 1 frame delay)

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Pushed some updates to my texture compression library

Supports ETC2 RGBA, punchthrough, and 11-bit EAC now, so it should be basically feature complete for the formats it supports.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

OneEightHundred posted:

Pushed some updates to my texture compression library

Supports ETC2 RGBA, punchthrough, and 11-bit EAC now, so it should be basically feature complete for the formats it supports.

Nice! Have you run any comparisons with Binomial's Basis (formerly Crunchlib)?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Nice! Have you run any comparisons with Binomial's Basis (formerly Crunchlib)?
Basis is a suite of several different technologies and the only one that's open source is the universal format, which I haven't compared it to, but the quality will almost definitely be lower because of the format design (see below).

The rest of the suite is commercial, so I can't compare. AFAIK they're based on Intel's ISPC encoder. I'd suspect that they're near similar quality, maybe faster. CVTT is very good at hitting high quality targets, and there are good reasons to think that it's near-optimal in most of the formats (exceptions: EAC, ETC2 alpha, T/H mode, and BC6H). The exceptions use heuristics that are generally pretty effective. The main weaknesses are that while it's very fast for a high-quality encoder, it doesn't scale down to fast lower-quality encodes well, and the ETC codecs depend on a trick that drastically speeds them up, but only works when pixel colors are equally important and SSD is the error metric (so etc2comp is a bit better in cases where that's not the case, like alpha transparency and normal maps).

Basis universal is kind of a weird technology. It works by targeting a lowest-common-denominator ETC1 subset format that intentionally avoids things that would make DXT1 transcode hard, but that also means it gets the worst drawbacks of ETC1 and DXT1 at once... it doesn't support ETC's block splits, but is still stuck with ETC's fixed axis, which is a really nasty combination for blocks that change between two colors of equal luminance... it basically has no choice but to encode the whole block as a solid color.

I don't really like it. DXT1 is easy to write a real-time encoder for without losing too much quality, so it'd really be preferable to transcode from a high-quality format in that case. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for ETC, which is hard to encode quickly because of the non-linear offsets, so the format appears to be targeting an ETC subset specifically so that it doesn't have to deal with that, but even then I think it'd be better to just store full-featured ETC1 and just decompress it and transcode instead of losing the block splits. PVRTC transcode is basically a re-encode anyway so it's all a moot point there.

If there was a fast way to encode ETC real-time without the quality being bad, then that'd really be preferable, but there isn't an obvious way to do that.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 5, 2019

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

OneEightHundred posted:

Basis is a suite of several different technologies and the only one that's open source is the universal format, which I haven't compared it to, but the quality will almost definitely be lower because of the format design (see below).

The rest of the suite is commercial, so I can't compare. AFAIK they're based on Intel's ISPC encoder. I'd suspect that they're near similar quality, maybe faster. CVTT is very good at hitting high quality targets, and there are good reasons to think that it's near-optimal in most of the formats (exceptions: EAC, ETC2 alpha, T/H mode, and BC6H). The exceptions use heuristics that are generally pretty effective. The main weaknesses are that while it's very fast for a high-quality encoder, it doesn't scale down to fast lower-quality encodes well, and the ETC codecs depend on a trick that drastically speeds them up, but only works when pixel colors are equally important and SSD is the error metric (so etc2comp is a bit better in cases where that's not the case, like alpha transparency and normal maps).

Basis universal is kind of a weird technology. It works by targeting a lowest-common-denominator ETC1 subset format that intentionally avoids things that would make DXT1 transcode hard, but that also means it gets the worst drawbacks of ETC1 and DXT1 at once... it doesn't support ETC's block splits, but is still stuck with ETC's fixed axis, which is a really nasty combination for blocks that change between two colors of equal luminance... it basically has no choice but to encode the whole block as a solid color.

I don't really like it. DXT1 is easy to write a real-time encoder for without losing too much quality, so it'd really be preferable to transcode from a high-quality format in that case. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for ETC, which is hard to encode quickly because of the non-linear offsets, so the format appears to be targeting an ETC subset specifically so that it doesn't have to deal with that, but even then I think it'd be better to just store full-featured ETC1 and just decompress it and transcode instead of losing the block splits. PVRTC transcode is basically a re-encode anyway so it's all a moot point there.

If there was a fast way to encode ETC real-time without the quality being bad, then that'd really be preferable, but there isn't an obvious way to do that.

Thanks for the extensive response!

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

It’s buggy. I have opened bug tickets, and there seem to be a lot of bug reports related to the type system. There are also some wacky memory issues. For instance, if you pass an array to a function, that array sticks around even after everything has gone out of scope. The next time you call the function, it’s like you’re still working with the array from the previous call. It just sort of hangs around forever, unless you explicitly set the array to []. Another example is that any project you add a typed object to spews a bunch of “Objects still exist” errors when you exit. The 3.2-dev branch is even worse, but whatever; it’s not an official release.

I’ve struggled with Unity for years, never finishing anything more than small projects, and I’m always on the lookout for alternatives. I am trying really, really hard to like Godot, as it is one alternative that seems to have some momentum. If you look at the last time I asked about it in the other game dev thread, that’s when I started back in on Godot, relly determined to power through. I watched videos, and read documentation, and started a project. Every time I feel like I’m getting somewhere, I run into a frustrating design decision, useless documentation, or outright bugs.

I spent an embarassing amount of time the other day figuring out why my Area2D -> CollisionShape2D combo (already a kind of weird way of doing things) wasn’t registering mouse events. It turns out that, oops, if it moves in front of a Control, the control will swallow the events, no matter where in the hierarchy your Area2D is, and setting the control to “pass” doesn’t work, because your Area2D/CollisionShape2D aren’t Controls, so even if you put them in a tree with the control that’s swallowing events, the events never bubble up to them*. You can set the Control to “ignore,” but screw you if you want to have both objects respond to clicks. You can just track mouse activity globally and check every single item in your scene to see which one(s) got clicked.

I know I can just write code, and forget using scene editors and entity systems and whatnot from engines like Unity or Godot, but I don’t want to. I don’t want to be a crusty old coder stuck in his ways, who never learns to do anything new, but I’m having as much frustration with Godot as I do with Unity, and the point of forcing myself to stick with Godot is that people keep saying how much nicer it felt to work with than Unity.

I apologize for this rant, but I’ve been pressing on with Godot for like a month, and I have almost nothing to show for it except a sore rear end and increased blood pressure.

* This seems to be what’s going on, but I’m not actually sure. I don’t remember all the inheritence chains for the types involved.

Ive only touched it briefly so far and this is totally an ignorant, at-a-glance opinion but what I'm inferring is that if you hit a serious wall in Unity and you know enough to know that you've hit a wall youre going to have to redesign or rebuild something or just screwed, but I guess you can always code it too. While in Godot you can always theoretically just up your programming game, fix their poo poo and recompile your own Godot to work the way you want because you always have the source available. I dont know enough to say if that's even a plausible scenario that would ever actually require it just guessing there could be, but they seem to understate the fact that you always can make MyGodot probably not to intimidate the majority going in looking for a entry solution. It's just my (probably wrong) impression of Godot, that it's good enough for simple stuff for complete beginners but ultimately shines for those with great experience and programming knowledge. Like, it's a work in progress but that's what all the hype is all about, more serious programmers that have surpassed making games to learn, building this thing into a monster and it's definitely still in the works is an actual selling point. When I asked about it in the other game deve thread, the general response was passive bewilderment and most just told me to use Unity for the practical solution.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 15, 2019

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I found a site with write-ups for different AAA games, and challenges they faced and what they learned from them. I don't remember what it was called, though. I assume someone here knows what I'm talking about :)

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Boz0r posted:

I found a site with write-ups for different AAA games, and challenges they faced and what they learned from them. I don't remember what it was called, though. I assume someone here knows what I'm talking about :)

Those would be called postmortems. I know Gamasutra has some, but don't know if that's the specific site you're thinking of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I saw a video going over the structure of rendering a frame of doom in incredible detail. It was the type of video you should show to aspiring game developers so that they give up their dreams of creating a magnum opus AAA as their first title. Because it will crush their soul and make sure they understand they aren't skilled enough to do basically anything.

I wish I could find that video again.