Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

Good lord this. Still, though, I bet if you had the market value of a Mad Cat in C1 Catapults you'd tear the thing apart.

If playing in a campaign where things like money and resources are tracked, suddenly a shiny Clan Omnimech doesn't look quite as appealing as its market value's worth equivalent in L1 heavies. Especially when you can pick up a whole lance for every one Clan machine. Or two-for-one, if going by the less tech-restrictive BV system. Sure, any given pilot would rather take a Mad Cat over a Catapult if given the chance but a commander would rather have an entire lance of 'Mechs over just a single one.

As an aside, on the issue of cost in campaigns:

Superchargers operate nearly identically to MASC but at significantly lower weight and space taken. Their drawback? Besides being an Experimental piece of technology, they can nearly double the cost of a 'Mech depending on how big its engine is. If you actually have to manage the waging of an ongoing war as opposed to a skirmish in a vacuum, that Supercharger suddenly doesn't look so appealing anymore.

Most people play the game in the skirmish format, but when strategic and operational concerns come into play those suboptimal skirmish choices become wise economic investments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

The Catapult also predates the Timber Wolf by several hundred years in BattleTech canon. The reason the Timber Wolf is known as the "Mad Cat" by Inner Sphere forces is because they thought it looked like a Catapult with Marauder arms.

The CPLT-C1 is actually a very decent mech in Level 1 play but no poo poo a 65 ton IS mech is going to be worse than a 75 ton Clan omnimech.

Oh, I know, and I think it's a respectable design that does what it was built to do very well. I'm just spoiled by the Mechwarrior games is all.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

T.G. Xarbala posted:

If playing in a campaign where things like money and resources are tracked, suddenly a shiny Clan Omnimech doesn't look quite as appealing as its market value's worth equivalent in L1 heavies. Especially when you can pick up a whole lance for every one Clan machine. Or two-for-one, if going by the less tech-restrictive BV system. Sure, any given pilot would rather take a Mad Cat over a Catapult if given the chance but a commander would rather have an entire lance of 'Mechs over just a single one.

As an aside, on the issue of cost in campaigns:

Superchargers operate nearly identically to MASC but at significantly lower weight and space taken. Their drawback? Besides being an Experimental piece of technology, they can nearly double the cost of a 'Mech depending on how big its engine is. If you actually have to manage the waging of an ongoing war as opposed to a skirmish in a vacuum, that Supercharger suddenly doesn't look so appealing anymore.

Most people play the game in the skirmish format, but when strategic and operational concerns come into play those suboptimal skirmish choices become wise economic investments.

It also makes fights much less of a 'to the death' situation. When you have to think about the next fight, you're going to be pulling back a lot of units before they die and you're much less likely to take any risks.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

BattleMaster posted:

The Catapult also predates the Timber Wolf by several hundred years in BattleTech canon. The reason the Timber Wolf is known as the "Mad Cat" by Inner Sphere forces is because they thought it looked like a Catapult with Marauder arms.

The CPLT-C1 is actually a very decent mech in Level 1 play but no poo poo a 65 ton IS mech is going to be worse than a 75 ton Clan omnimech.

It's likely that most people who don't like the Catapult (myself included) were exposed to it more through the Mechwarrior games than BattleTech itself. In the Mechwarrior games, it's a lovely support heavy that looks derpy to boot. Lots of 'mechs have value in BattleTech (where you're operating on a more expansive system, and with teams of mechs rather than an individual player) that MechWarrior players wouldn't be fond of.

Everything has at least a situational use in the tabletop game. That's not really true in the Mechwarrior games, for mechs or weapons either one. It spoils you with the ability to pick from a wide variety of things, even in the single player campaigns where you have to deal with somewhat of an economy.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Taerkar posted:

It also makes fights much less of a 'to the death' situation. When you have to think about the next fight, you're going to be pulling back a lot of units before they die and you're much less likely to take any risks.

That's why I've always wanted to try out one of those ongoing campaign books where you track one group's ups and downs over an extended period.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

jng2058 posted:

That's why I've always wanted to try out one of those ongoing campaign books where you track one group's ups and downs over an extended period.

I really only play those type of games, and honestly I enjoy them more. It makes suicidal things that gameplay wise are the best move happen a lot less. When you are down to 5 wasps trying to complete your next mission or contract and scrapping by it's a lot more fun.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

the JJ posted:

Not terrifically relevant but this is pretty.

Have we done an ad for this yet? Because it needs one.

That's what I want to see. :allears:

People have rightly pointed out that it's an ancient machine, but it's still in use for a reason. Solid and reliable firepower, mobility and 10 tons of armor makes the CPTL-C1 one of my favorite 'mechs to fall back on in T1 play.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hell, the stock Catapult is pretty decent in MW4:Mercs and can be a real beast with a few tweaks.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Axe-man posted:

to be quite honest the lights aren't an issue with just an srm4,

Jenner has potential for a massive charge and Panthers can still kick. A DFA usually demands some attention and if it comes at a bad time, the choice may be between Panther that is about to DFA and a member of Kurita family. In the last fight players lost the Orion because they had to decide between a bunch of lights and some potentially dangerous targets.

Stormcrow has enough firepower alone to deal with the cripples and enough speed to rejoin the rest of the star. No point in having everyone hunt one damaged mech, especially since we know from experience that PTN always has some surprises in store. I'm pretty sure I know what's the deal here and the less mechs on board by the time that happens the better for Goonstar.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
None of the opposing 'mechs can DFA, since they all move before us. You can't DFA on a 'mech that is yet to move.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's clearly just a Timberwolf with the arm pods swapped out. :colbert:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

the Jenner is pure ablative armor at this point, but ignoring it is also folly.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Keru posted:

None of the opposing 'mechs can DFA, since they all move before us. You can't DFA on a 'mech that is yet to move.

That hasn't prevented PTN from trying it, ever since the very first fight.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

dis astranagant posted:

Yep, 4 Catapults would do a number on most anything, even most level 3 bullshit.

I think, if you're playing with price modifiers (thus, "market value") you can probably get more than 4 Catapults for a Mad Cat, especially considering that Mad Cats are no longer in production in the IS after a certain time.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

If playing in a campaign where things like money and resources are tracked, suddenly a shiny Clan Omnimech doesn't look quite as appealing as its market value's worth equivalent in L1 heavies.

From the one long-time mercs campaign I played in/ran, this is very very true. Historically our best contracts were against the Clans - the salvage was worth so much it was ridiculous.

Taerkar posted:

This, however, I found was not true. Particularly when fighting an engagement with Clan forces. The potential profit of holding the field and bringing home the salvage was worth the potential sacrifice of a few machines. Losing an entire recon lance so you can bring home a salvagable Hellbringer? Absolutely worth it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Hob_Gadling posted:

That hasn't prevented PTN from trying it, ever since the very first fight.

That's because I am more than happy to move into an occupied hex to force someone out of a good position. :ssh:

It's one of the few advantages I have: Initiate a fake DFA, if they don't move out of the way, land DFA as normal. If they do move, they're now slightly out of position and that's something I can exploit if I'm canny.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Tempest_56 posted:

This, however, I found was not true. Particularly when fighting an engagement with Clan forces. The potential profit of holding the field and bringing home the salvage was worth the potential sacrifice of a few machines. Losing an entire recon lance so you can bring home a salvagable Hellbringer? Absolutely worth it.

The campaign stuff we run locally is during the Succession Wars. When it becomes a question of losing one of your pieces of LosTech, then the consideration changes the other way.

Esp. when you have to deal with the question of spare part availability and timeframes. One noteworthy battle actually had them trying to load a decapitated mech onto a recovery vehicle during the fight because they wouldn't have enough time otherwise.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Quick question: Why was P2 out of LoS on the S2 Jenner? I always thought the rule was in the case of a shot with multiple trajectories, to go with the optimal shot in the player's favor. i.e.: P2 shoots 2 hexes to 1123 - 1224>1223>1123. After all, S2 didn't move until now for turn 5.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Hob_Gadling posted:

Jenner has potential for a massive charge and Panthers can still kick. A DFA usually demands some attention and if it comes at a bad time, the choice may be between Panther that is about to DFA and a member of Kurita family. In the last fight players lost the Orion because they had to decide between a bunch of lights and some potentially dangerous targets.

all of those are hard to impossible to preform with the lights losing init. Most physical attacks require init to pull off. Thats why they aren't that dangerous beyond blocking in and delivering kicks.

like PTN said really, most of that, is to move the players out of position than it is to actually deal damage, which is kinda what my rabbling blurb was trying to say. At this point getting into position and concentrating fire is your best bet, you have 2 characters which in the canon time line were top of their game.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 29, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Let’s Read: Main Event (part 24)

Chapter 24
Houston, Borghese
12 June 3055

Days elapsed since book start: 306¼
Mercenaries recruited since book start: 6
Mercenaries recruited off-screen: 1
Things accomplished since book start: 1 (Rose took a nap, Rose got a Charger)
Protagonists introduced since book start: 7
Protagonists mentioned but not yet introduced: 1
Antagonists introduced since book start: 3
Antagonists defeated since book start: 0
Chapters spent on Northwind: 5
Chapters spent on Solaris: 10
Chapters spent on Outreach: 4
Chapters spent on Borghese: 13

McCloud, being a transport Captain who hasn’t transported anything for six months because of Jeremiah Rose, is preparing for a run to a nearby planet. Rose immediately suspects Rachel will never return and so settles in to have a chat with his new BFF Alexander Graham Antioch Bell. Bell, incidentally, is pretty much a non-character. He exists entirely so Jeremiah Rose will have someone to exposit at.

Jeremiah Rose then begins waxing existentially, and delivers this gem:

Main Event posted:

You know what I don’t understand?” Rose asked rhetorically. “Me. I don’t understand myself.”

I know, Rose. Nor do you understand anyone else. Nor will you ever have the capacity to. We then learn more about his relationship with McCloud and that things are great while they’re on the ship (and Rose has nothing to do) but the moment they land he gets so wrapped up in his ‘Mercenary Leader’ thing that he doesn’t talk to McCloud for weeks.

Antioch then points out that maybe, and he’s speaking hypothetically, but just maybe Jeremiah Rose doesn’t actually love Rachel McCloud. He then points out that if Jeremiah is really concerned, he should, and this may be a stretch and be as difficult for you all to understand as it is for Rose to understand, but…

HE MAY WANT TO POLITELY ASK CAPTAIN RACHEL McCLOUD NOT TO LEAVE.

Jeremiah immediately responds with ‘but I offered her a position in the unit! :v: ’ and our friend Obvious Foil points out that that is, in fact, different from asking a person you care about not to leave. Rose recognizes that there is a semantic difference but refuses to actually do anything; then immediately starts thinking about his old unit in the ComGuards and how he was sleeping with one of the soldiers under his command.

I…

This is the first time I’ve ever noticed the implications of that one little sentence. That is grossly unprofessional. I know Battletech has always been a bit free with the ‘X is sleeping with Y, and not necessarily for a good reason’ but I can’t imagine any military ever tolerating a situation like this. Except maybe Sparta’s military. And yes, I understand the ‘soldier under his command’ was a woman, but that doesn’t excuse it. It just makes my head hurt.

We then cut to Crenshaw at his ‘second home’ (he is rich, remember. That makes him immediately untrustworthy, he’s a stand-in for the fat bastard back on Solaris now). Crenshaw is entertaining Hauptmann Morgain. Nothing will come of this, I’m certain.

Crenshaw then admits to being the leader of the pro-Clan faction, and asks for Morgain’s help. Being a good officer, Hauptmann Salander Morgain laughs in Crenshaw’s face genuinely considers Crenshaw’s offer then decides to be the first public supporter of the pro-Clan faction.

He then asks, out of the blue, what will happen to the Black Thorns’ gear. Crenshaw suggests that Morgain would be an adequate caretaker for it, once Rose has been eliminated.

… Wait, what? They weren’t talking about the Black Thorns as anything other than a ‘may have to be talked to once power changes’ sort of thing, and now suddenly they’re plotting to kill everyone so Morgain can keep the `Mechs? Anyway, Morgain then leaves and Crenshaw has a sinister conversation with...

… one of the people who hired the Black Thorns in the first place? Is this supposed to be a ‘dun-dun-duuuuun’ moment? Because it falls so flat it makes Hayden Christensen look animated. Who the hell is Hoffbrowse again; and if even I can’t remember, why do we care?

Regardless, chapter over (it’s a short one (they all are)).

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Rick_Hunter posted:

Quick question: Why was P2 out of LoS on the S2 Jenner? I always thought the rule was in the case of a shot with multiple trajectories, to go with the optimal shot in the player's favor. i.e.: P2 shoots 2 hexes to 1123 - 1224>1223>1123. After all, S2 didn't move until now for turn 5.

LoS follows whichever path favors the defender. Thus 1124 would block it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

KnoxZone posted:

Pretty much this, because Line of Sight was precisely 50/50, it favors the defender and neither side has line of sight unless they both try to attack each other. There is never a situation, outside of range issues, where one unit may fire on another without any posibility of reprisal, so questionable line of sight always favors the defender.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

KnoxZone posted:

Cool beans. I will keep that in mind next time I try to give advice.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The book would have been approximately 900,000,000 times better if during that meeting a Loki suicide agent showed up and murdered the gently caress out of both of those guys.

Granted, that's in part due to how very little quality there is in the first place.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

KnoxZone posted:

Technically the rules say that in these sort of situations the defender of the first attack between the two targets (since attacks are actually made one at a time) chooses whether they have LOS or not.

Introductory Rulebook posted:

If the LOS passes exactly between two hexes, it is up to the player of the targeted BattleMech to decide which of the two hexes the LOS passes through.

Total Warfare's wording is more clear so use that version if you have it.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 29, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Let’s Read: Main Event (part 25)

Chapter 25
Houston, Borghese
13 June 3055

Days elapsed since book start: 307¼
Mercenaries recruited since book start: 6
Mercenaries recruited off-screen: 1
Things accomplished since book start: 1 (Rose took a nap, Rose got a Charger)
Protagonists introduced since book start: 8
Protagonists mentioned but not yet introduced: 1
Antagonists introduced since book start: 3
Antagonists defeated since book start: 0
Chapters spent on Northwind: 5
Chapters spent on Solaris: 10
Chapters spent on Outreach: 4
Chapters spent on Borghese: 13

Crenshaw and his supporters force two more of his supporters into the vacant Space Council seats and gain over a 2/3rds majority. As this is space, nobody has any sort of veto power which means they immediately don’t actually do anything except antagonize Zenos Cooke.

We then learn that Rose is still moping like a retarded puppy because McCloud is leaving, and he learns the news while he was preparing a farewell ‘dinner’ for her. Not that he was cooking, mind, he has a civilian to handle the actual cooking. In fact, given his excessively romantic characterization already, I’m sure his idea of ‘preparation’ was: ‘put on one of my three outfits (the least smelly one, women like that right?), potentially shower (I doubt it), and berate the chef for hours because goddamn it I don’t think it takes ten hours to pressure cook an entire cow and what could possibly be taking so long?’

Rather than think anything of it, he has the dinner anyway but is obviously distracted and DOESN’T SAY ANYTHING TO ANYONE then suddenly, as desert is served, someone calls them and rather than delegating responsibility Rose immediately jumps up and abandons everyone to answer the goddamned phone.

Smooth.

Oh, and then we learn that the Black Thorns have been eating in full combat gear because they’re still on Yellow Alert.

Also, Al Qaida GENERIC TERRORISTS are attacking the spaceport, and seem to be targeting McCloud’s ship specifically. She then calls Jeremiah Rose a bastard and runs for the door and…

:gonk:

Main Event posted:

“You son of a bitch. Youre supposed to protect them.” Without waiting for a reply, she charged around the table. Rose dropped into a crouch and prepared to meet the charge, but it never came. As McCloud neared the front door, it suddenly swung open. Running full throttle, McCloud didn’t have a chance to avoid it. She hit the door at full speed, getting the air knocked out of her lungs and smashing her head into the reinforced wood.

Hawg, his shoulder still braced against the door, looked at Rose and tried to smile. “It seemed like the only thing to do at the time.” The big man peered around the edge fo the door as Rose stepped over to the fallen McCloud, who was gasping for breath, her left eye beginning to swell shut. The wounds looked and sounded bad, but she’d be up in a few minutes.

Rose then has Hawg call a couple of guards to detain McCloud so he can go roll his Charger around on some terrorists or something. Jesus Christ.

Main Event posted:

McCloud was struggling to rise, her remaining good eye focused on Rose’s throat. “Sit on her if you have to, Rose said, “but don’t let her leave.”

WOW.

Incidentally, THIS WILL HAVE NO NEGATIVE REPRECUSSIONS AT ALL. I wish I was joking this time, but I’m not. I feel ill.

Rose then charges his Charger out the front gate, and idly (without much sympathy) worries that he may ‘accidentally’ step on one of the protesters; but they dive for cover and so he avoids a murder charge. Anyway, Ajax is here already and has already murdered two terrorists without any sort of orders or what-have-you. Just boom, Ajax and his Raven show up and slaughters the two people closest to McCloud’s dropship.

Hope they were actually terrorists.

Anyway, the ship attempts to blast off so Rose immediately orders a charge (DropShip exhaust is extremely dangerous and will destroy BattleMechs with contemptible ease, incidentally). They shoot one of the landing struts to keep the Bristol from taking off, but Rose gets shot by a medium laser and falls on his rear end and the ship takes off.

After his miserable failure, Rose returns to the barracks only to find that, without Battlemechs to keep the protesters out, they’ve stormed the place and murdered all of the civilians hired to guard the facility. Also, they’ve shot it up with heavy machineguns. Some civilians in a car fire SRMs at Esmeralda and hit her Warhammer in the head (of course), then nearly escape when Rose can’t hit the car at all (he’s a 0 / 2 pilot, remember, and he has pulse lasers. He can only miss if he’s not trying). Fortunately, Ajax, the only member of the Black Thorns who’s semi-capable, hits the car with his SRM-6, killing several angry protesters.

Rose then demands that everyone in the barracks surrender, but it turns out it’s only McCloud and she’s got a Zeus heavy sniper rifle. Now, those not in the know, the Zeus is a 50 caliber sniper rifle that fires specialized ammunition at higher than mach 3. It can barely be carried by people, much less shoulder fired (the recoil would shatter bones, it requires a tripod to use).

McCloud is, of course, treating it like a regular rifle.

Also, she only has one working eye because Rose just beat her up with a door.

Rose beams with pride on seeing her, then she collapses and she’s bleeding oh no it’s a good thing Rose is here to rescue her! He then orders his people to salvage anything that they possibly can because they’re going to go and hide in the woods for a while, since this was clearly an attack supported by the new planetary government and not an isolated incident caused by terrorists and/or protesters angry about the Black Thorns holding their government hostage.

Rose then acknowledges that everything that’s just happened was entirely his fault (which is true). Then, rather than learning from it, he simply vows never to gently caress up like this again. Will he succeed? (No).

Oh, and he doesn’t even get out of his `Mech to check on his unconscious and/or dead girlfriend preferred domestic violence target. And that’s how the chapter ends.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Taerkar posted:

The book would have been approximately 900,000,000 times better if during that meeting a Loki suicide agent showed up and murdered the gently caress out of both of those guys.

Granted, that's in part due to how very little quality there is in the first place.

More like if a Loki suicide agent showed up and murdered just about the entire cast. :v:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That level of improvement could not be expressed in simple math terms.

Hell, it would be the one time I would possibly find gruesome descriptions acceptable.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Wow. That...that last chapter. McCloud rates much better than this dreck. If only she has never come across Rose & Co., perhaps she could have been in a more coherent plotline.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

T.G. Xarbala posted:

A shiny Clan OmniMech is also massively more difficult to actually get replacement parts for, also - even for a late 3060s regular army unit, even after the Diamond Sharks start selling ClanTech to the Inner Sphere, it's still not particularly easy. Having a Mad Cat isn't much good if you can only use it at full capacity once every few major engagements, or if you go bankrupt in the process of keeping it running normally. Especially when there are perfectly serviceable, cheap, and useful IS L2 mechs (like for example Starslayers) that you can have a billion of in comparison, and keep them all running well.

Hob_Gadling posted:

I don't understand what's so bad about Stormcrows positioning. Someone has to mop up, and Stormcrow is the best unit to do that. It's fastest Clan unit on the field and carries a lot of close-range firepower for killing off the stragglers. You wouldn't leave the Panthers intact, would you?

Well, there's three main issues. One is that the block was a fairly predictable move - maybe it wasn't 100% guaranteed to happen, but it was very much a strong option on PTN's part that no one else seemed to account for. It was silly to walk into it, it's not an unforgivable move or anything, but definitely something that didn't need to happen. It especially seems silly because the stated reason (getting a better run forward next turn) really isn't a big deal at this juncture, especially for the mech with a 1/2 pilot that basically won't skid 97% of the time.

The second issue is...well, yeah, I might actually leave the Panthers intact if there are other targets. Ordinarily you want to take mechs off the initiative list, but with the PTN init rules being used here that's irrelevant. Goonstar can easily outrun the Panthers, and being SRM-4'd in the back isn't really a problem by itself. In the current situation, having a 1/2 SCrow B hang back in a city fight to deal with isolated, de-fanged Panthers is pretty significant overkill. If they still had their PPCs than yeah, you'd want to clear them before moving forward, but it's not worth getting out of formation significantly for. Now, yeah, you shoot them, mostly because Goonstar has arranged it so that they're the only targets for a couple of mechs...

Which brings me to the third issue. Staying in a close formation is really important in urban combat, since units can be flanked, surrounded and isolated very effectively. That this hasn't happened yet is less luck and more just a testament to PTN tending to play in a very fluff-appropriate way, rather than a wipe-everyone-off-the-board way. He has the units to do it, and Goonstar has given him the opportunities for sure. Even in the absence of that, Goonstar is now going to be hitting the point of attack (as Madden would say) piecemeal, which will reduce their effectiveness. There's enough punch on the board for the OPFOR that the players do have to play at a fairly high level to have a good chance. Now, of course, this is Battletech - there's always a chance - but to have a good chance they need to avoid doing silly things. Right now, they aren't coordinating well and they're making moves that prevent having any sort of formation at all, which could end up causing problems.

It's kind of frustrating in that for me, some of what's going on is quite obvious (such as the entirely predictable block), and I try very hard to give fairly detailed advice most games. Yet usually the poo poo I say never translates into much of anyone picking up on it. I'm not exactly the preeminent authority on BTech or anything, but I do have a ton of practical in-game experience thanks to Megamek/Mekwars/MMNet etc; it's been about 10 years since I started playing back in the day on MMNet, and I've helped run this server since 2009 (and we might just be about to start our fifth campaign cycle...any day now). It's not something that I like to swing around in the thread, since it feels like I'm engaging in e-peen waving, but I've wasted enough of my life blowing up java-generated representations of giant robots to have a pretty good eye for poo poo that goes on in games.

So when poo poo like this happens - when I mention early on that PTN might look to block or surround mechs, and then someone gets blocked when it could have been prevented - it's difficult for me to watch. I don't have a problem with people making bad moves or not being good players...hell, everyone starts out bad, myself included, and it takes grinding out a lot of games before certain things start to click. That doesn't make it easier to deal with as a spectator, though.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
"Sci-Fi Nerds love two things: Giant robots, and guys beating up the girlfriends they're too afraid to say anything to and they cheat on. Right? Right?"

The editors who approved that garbage should be ashamed of themselves.

Scurrilous
Sep 2, 2006
evolutionary throwback

PoptartsNinja posted:

Also, she only has one working eye because Rose just beat her up with a door.

Actually it looks to me like he just curled into a pathetic, defensive ball while Hawg beat her with a door. Of course he seems copacetic with the door beating... or with letting his girlfriend charge at terrorists alone. But getting charged by a woman half his rediculous size? SCARY.

Scurrilous fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 29, 2011

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Zaodai posted:

It's likely that most people who don't like the Catapult (myself included) were exposed to it more through the Mechwarrior games than BattleTech itself. In the Mechwarrior games, it's a lovely support heavy that looks derpy to boot. Lots of 'mechs have value in BattleTech (where you're operating on a more expansive system, and with teams of mechs rather than an individual player) that MechWarrior players wouldn't be fond of.

Everything has at least a situational use in the tabletop game. That's not really true in the Mechwarrior games, for mechs or weapons either one. It spoils you with the ability to pick from a wide variety of things, even in the single player campaigns where you have to deal with somewhat of an economy.

My tournament load out for the heavy circuit in MW4:M is a Cat loaded with ATM-12's. On missions, I dole her out to my NPC pilots because even they can't gently caress that set up up. Plus I'm normally at that point riding in some Assault with a ridiculous boating gimmick.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

the JJ posted:

My tournament load out for the heavy circuit in MW4:M is a Cat loaded with ATM-12's. On missions, I dole her out to my NPC pilots because even they can't gently caress that set up up. Plus I'm normally at that point riding in some Assault with a ridiculous boating gimmick.

I could never get the hang of ATM's. LRMs were likewise always kind of 'ehhh' to me because I generally prefered medium to close range combat, thus streak SRMs early, and Streak MRM's later. It's amusing watching heavy mechs fall down. :v:

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Rorac posted:

I could never get the hang of ATM's. LRMs were likewise always kind of 'ehhh' to me because I generally prefered medium to close range combat, thus streak SRMs early, and Streak MRM's later. It's amusing watching heavy mechs fall down. :v:

Acquire target. Acquire lock. Put crosshairs over a torso section. Pull trigger. Put crosshairs over the same section. Pull trigger.

Acquire new target.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Rorac posted:

I always find it interesting to hear about other people's mech loadouts for that game. It seems that no two players share the same configuration preferences, despite all the talk about 'min/maxing' and 'bending and breaking BattleTech-rules'.

For example, my favourite mech was a 50-ton Crab with two of those very fast-recharging PPCs that had a capacitor and one other add-on that I don't remember off-hand (It required 4 slots!). There were a bunch of assault designs that could also field this weapon, but they all turned sooo slowly that I didn't feel comfortable using them. For the Crab, I even had to reduce the default armor a little bit and it had no jump jets or any other special subsystem. Nevertheless, it remains the best-suited machine for my playing style, to this day.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Do NPC pilots have ammo issues or can you just load them up with a bunch of Streak MRMs and watch explosions all over the place?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
PTN, is there anyway we can kill Rose? I don't care if he's a freaking infant at this point. He must die.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Gimmick Account posted:

I always find it interesting to hear about other people's mech loadouts for that game. It seems that no two players share the same configuration preferences, despite all the talk about 'min/maxing' and 'bending and breaking BattleTech-rules'.

For example, my favourite mech was a 50-ton Crab with two of those very fast-recharging PPCs that had a capacitor and one other add-on that I don't remember off-hand (It required 4 slots!). There were a bunch of assault designs that could also field this weapon, but they all turned sooo slowly that I didn't feel comfortable using them. For the Crab, I even had to reduce the default armor a little bit and it had no jump jets or any other special subsystem. Nevertheless, it remains the best-suited machine for my playing style, to this day.

That weapon you were talking about is the light PPC with capacitor and recharger. It's pretty insane actually, 3 second recharge with nearly the power and range of the standard PPC if I recall.

I know I usually didn't use cannon-type weapons pretty much ever. I didn't like ammo weapons at all really but streak missiles were good enough because the damage output combined with homing means I didn't have to bother leading the target, just getting the crosshair on the target for an instant. Otherwise I prefered X-pulse lasers. I usually went with dual large X-pulse and dual SMRM-30's when the mech could support it, although I had a Bushwacker I liked with half that.

As for other pilots, I'm pretty sure they do run out of ammo. I don't know if enemies do; I doubt anybody's let them live long enough to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Rose is a child no matter what time we talk about.

• Locked thread