Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Donald Kimball posted:

Not sure where to ask, but where do you guys find high resolution wallpapers? Do you just google image search? Trying to find something other than the stock Apple wallpapers.

I just asked a similar question in the iPhone thread. Check out interfacelift.com.

efb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

Martytoof posted:

I was about to give Evernote a try but no nested notebooks/folders means no deal. How can it possibly be lacking a basic feature like that?
You can definitely do nested notebooks in Evernote, but there's a limit on the quantity which may cause problems with a deep hierarchy like you showed. Better to use notebooks for high level organization and then tags for subdividing as appropriate.

Here's a good writeup which discusses the pros/cons of tags and notebooks and suggests some organizational approaches: http://michaelhyatt.com/evernote-tags.html

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Good read, thanks! I'll have to do some testing this week to see which method fits best with my style :)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone else having issues with Transmission and Yosemite? I thought these weren't running at Starbucks because maybe they block torrents, but at home they still won't start up. Tried re-adding and re-installing etc.

I downloaded uTorrent's ad-infested self and it works fine.

I had similar Transmission problems once, and it turned out to be a bad prefs file. Deleting it and starting over fixed things.

If you try that, I should mention that I recently stumbled across an interesting new twist in Mavericks and Yosemite which can lead to unexpected results. Starting with Mavs, Apple has begun caching application preferences in RAM in the 'cfprefsd' daemon. The 'defaults' command knows how to push changes through this daemon, but manual modifications of prefs files (including deleting them entirely) may now fail to take: if you should happen to run the program again before logging out, it'll use system APIs to read its preferences, and those APIs go through cfprefsd, which will happily supply cached data even if it no longer matches what's on disk. And then it'll write those prefs back out and voila, your changes magically revert.

The workaround is to log out after making a manual prefs mod, or per the discussion in the link you can try killing cfprefsd to flush whatever it's got cached. (launchd should automatically restart it.)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So is there any go-to .gif viewer app?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

So is there any go-to .gif viewer app?

Drag it into a browser?
Quick look?
Preview and hold down space to jump to the next frame if it's animated?

No idea if third party software exists.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
Xee?

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
Late to the party, but Yosemite runs well on my stock 2008 MBP with 4GB RAM and spinning disc. The only slowdown is those on-screen volume and brightness boxes take a second to appear — adjusting their respective settings happens in real time; it's just the on-screen feedback that's slow.

I suspect the issue might go away if I installed an SSD, though. It seems like the system is waiting for the needed art assets to load into memory before displaying the dialog, because once they're loaded in and the dialog's been displayed, the dialog appears instantly going forward, until after some time where I imagine the assets are pushed out of memory again.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

BobHoward posted:

I had similar Transmission problems once, and it turned out to be a bad prefs file. Deleting it and starting over fixed things.

If you try that, I should mention that I recently stumbled across an interesting new twist in Mavericks and Yosemite which can lead to unexpected results. Starting with Mavs, Apple has begun caching application preferences in RAM in the 'cfprefsd' daemon. The 'defaults' command knows how to push changes through this daemon, but manual modifications of prefs files (including deleting them entirely) may now fail to take: if you should happen to run the program again before logging out, it'll use system APIs to read its preferences, and those APIs go through cfprefsd, which will happily supply cached data even if it no longer matches what's on disk. And then it'll write those prefs back out and voila, your changes magically revert.

The workaround is to log out after making a manual prefs mod, or per the discussion in the link you can try killing cfprefsd to flush whatever it's got cached. (launchd should automatically restart it.)

The best thing to do is simply to use defaults(1) to modify defaults domains. Then you aren't making assumptions about logout behavior or killing daemons.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Mikey-San posted:

The best thing to do is simply to use defaults(1) to modify defaults domains. Then you aren't making assumptions about logout behavior or killing daemons.

Well I just read the man page and I feel stupid for not realizing before now that 'defaults' can delete all keys for a domain in one fell swoop. I was assuming that when you wanted to get rid of an app's preferences and start over, you'd have to do things like deleting the whole file.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Triglav posted:

Late to the party, but Yosemite runs well on my stock 2008 MBP with 4GB RAM and spinning disc. The only slowdown is those on-screen volume and brightness boxes take a second to appear — adjusting their respective settings happens in real time; it's just the on-screen feedback that's slow.

I suspect the issue might go away if I installed an SSD, though. It seems like the system is waiting for the needed art assets to load into memory before displaying the dialog, because once they're loaded in and the dialog's been displayed, the dialog appears instantly going forward, until after some time where I imagine the assets are pushed out of memory again.

I have this "issue" on my 2010 Macbook Air, so an SSD won't solve the problem.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Does anyone else have a lot of lagging when scrolling in the iTunes playlist? 8GB 2013 rMBP, I have it on 'song' view, and I only have like 25GB of music.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Does anyone else have a lot of lagging when scrolling in the iTunes playlist? 8GB 2013 rMBP, I have it on 'song' view, and I only have like 25GB of music.

Same computer, and I have no problem with mine. 80 gigs of music, almost 10k songs. It's not smooth, but it responds up/down when I scroll right now from the trackpad. My computer has been on for nearly 2 weeks, and I haven't quit iTunes in that time that I can remember.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Jesus christ it is totally loving stupid that my iphone 6, ipad air and 2011 iMac all share phone calls and text messaging, but I cant open a webpage on my iMac and have handoff work on either of my mobile devices.

I dont know who thought they'd catch me paying 2 grand for a new computer to get that single feature, but I hope they got fired for it.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Laserface posted:

Jesus christ it is totally loving stupid that my iphone 6, ipad air and 2011 iMac all share phone calls and text messaging, but I cant open a webpage on my iMac and have handoff work on either of my mobile devices.

I dont know who thought they'd catch me paying 2 grand for a new computer to get that single feature, but I hope they got fired for it.

sharing phone calls doesn't use bluetooth like the rest of the handoff features do

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

You could use Pushbullet

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Laserface posted:

Does iCloud syncing safari tabs not work?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

japtor posted:

Tried turning on "increase contrast"? I posted about it a little while back, just doing "reduce transparency" (or even selecting it before increase contrast for whatever reason) doesn't have the same effect on performance. Worked for me and some others I've seen online but the impact seems to vary a bit.

Jesus christ, that fixed it almost completely. :magical:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

eriddy posted:

Does iCloud syncing safari tabs not work?

I dont use safari as my main browser on the iMac - but if I could have hand-off work I probably would.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don't use it often in this direction, but in my windows machine when I click on my osx shared file, it now asks for a password. It doesn't seem to take any password or recognize any user account on either machine (something is definitely happening, if I turn off file sharing then it just rejects the attempt to brows the folder out right). It doesn't seem to matter what the permissions for "everyone."

I changed the local policy to "Use NTLMv2 if negotiated" and tried both "connect 128 only" and "Enable file sharing for devices that use 40 or 56 bit encription" which used to be hangups in older mac/windows networking problems but it doesn't seem to work.

It works in the other direction (mac->windows) which is really important since this is where all the storage is, but I would like it working this this direction too.

I'm using Windows 8.1 and OSX 10.10.1

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is anyone else no longer able to Copy/Paste between folders in Finder anymore on Yosemite?

I used to be able to just CMD C/CMD V between folders, now I have to drag. It's SUPER annoying.

Also, since the latest update I keep getting Popups asking if I want to allow Programs to Connect online, even after I've given them permission on my firewall. Anyone else getting this??

Yosemite yer a loving hunk of crap.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is anyone else no longer able to Copy/Paste between folders in Finder anymore on Yosemite?

I used to be able to just CMD C/CMD V between folders, now I have to drag. It's SUPER annoying.

Also, since the latest update I keep getting Popups asking if I want to allow Programs to Connect online, even after I've given them permission on my firewall. Anyone else getting this??

Yosemite yer a loving hunk of crap.

The first one is something that's wrong with your setup, not something that has changed in the OS.
The second one happens with certain programs (I have it with Steam, for instance), most likely because they use an initial launcher process where one executable kicks off another one, and the problems with those kinds of programs and the firewall has existed for yonks.

So no, it's really not, because neither of your issues are caused by Yosemite.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

gmq posted:

Jesus christ, that fixed it almost completely. :magical:
Yeah it's weird v:shobon:v. I just assume it's a bug cause zooming doesn't seem like it should vary all that much in performance.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a way to force Finder to always sort every folder by type (essentially, the "old" style of sorting), and keep files auto arranged to the grid?

Not the new style of sorting where it has scrollable lists of various types of icons.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I have no idea what you're saying, but View -> Show View Options (Command-J) will let you set your sort-by and arrange-by settings and will let you set them as the defaults (should work everywhere unless you've hosed with the view options in other folders). And making a new Finder window, setting it up (size, etc.) how you want it, then closing it, is the way to set up the defaults for new windows.

Warning, Finder sucks, settings won't always stick.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
On the topic of sorting, sometimes I use someone else's machine and their Finder windows sort by "files used today," "files used this week" up the top instead of a straight list of files with proper alphabetical order.

Where do I change this?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

the_lion posted:

On the topic of sorting, sometimes I use someone else's machine and their Finder windows sort by "files used today," "files used this week" up the top instead of a straight list of files with proper alphabetical order.

Where do I change this?
Never seen this before, but on a hunch I assume this is what you're talking about?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Never seen this before, but on a hunch I assume this is what you're talking about?

Yes! This is the one. Thank you.

Never noticed that little gear icon ever.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
The gear icon gives you the right click (contextual) menu... Without the right click. You can also get the same options with "Show view options" like I described earlier.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I have somewhat old Macbook pro (early 2011 model), 2Ghz Intel Core i7, 4 GB DDR3.
For some time now I noticed huge slow downs while using Chrome, like for example currently I have 5 tabs open, with a ustream video running and poo poo is slowing down quite heavily.

Here is an activity monitor screenshot:

I guess I need more RAM basically? Is there anything else I could do?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Le0 posted:

I have somewhat old Macbook pro (early 2011 model), 2Ghz Intel Core i7, 4 GB DDR3.
For some time now I noticed huge slow downs while using Chrome, like for example currently I have 5 tabs open, with a ustream video running and poo poo is slowing down quite heavily.

Close and re-open Chrome more often? Remove any extensions or whatever Chrome calls add-ons?

You really should get 8GB of RAM, though.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:siren: OS X update complaints :siren:

Just updated from Mavericks to Yosemite.....what is this hot garbage?

** Now the green button in top left corner of windows goes to full screen, I quite preferred it to resize the window instead and have a dedicated button for full screen. Luckily holding option before clicking reverts to the original function, but this seems like a definite downgrade.

** I have a crappy old external display that I use via a miniDP to VGA adapter. Previously when the laptop went to sleep, the external display would as well. Then when I awakened the laptop the external display would also turn back on, displaying it's desktop. NOW when the laptop goes to sleep, the external display will NOT come back on, period. I MUST unplug the adapter from the miniDP port and then plug it right back in, then it will work. This is terrible and stupid and I hope they fix it soon.

** In addition to this, most YouTube videos aren't playing on my macbook pro anymore, they simply load forever.

** Netflix works great on the laptop, but if I try to drag the window over to the external display, I get some kind of unauthorized monitor error and refuses to play. There is no workaround in Safari that I am aware of. I must open Chrome instead and do it. Chrome still gives an error, but it can be fixed by going to Chrome://components and clicking update to the winedlandblahblah button.

Finally, all the icons are simpler and uglier, when adjusting volume the icon lost transparency so now a big ugly blocked off icon appears.

I truly can't find anything I like better about this update, but I'm hoping I will change my tune when I pick up an iPhone 6 this week and play with the continuity features.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man I know I've been shilling for Microsoft apps these past few posts but I am seriously in love with Outlook 2014 as my go-to place for calendar, mail, etc.

I really need Microsoft to come up with a way to integrate Outlook Calendar into the notifications pane on OSX though. If they can integrate all the aspects of Outlook like contact list and calendar into OSX properly then it's going to be a flat out killer app.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

tesilential posted:

:siren: OS X update complaints :siren:

Just updated from Mavericks to Yosemite.....what is this hot garbage?

** Now the green button in top left corner of windows goes to full screen, I quite preferred it to resize the window instead and have a dedicated button for full screen. Luckily holding option before clicking reverts to the original function, but this seems like a definite downgrade.

** I have a crappy old external display that I use via a miniDP to VGA adapter. Previously when the laptop went to sleep, the external display would as well. Then when I awakened the laptop the external display would also turn back on, displaying it's desktop. NOW when the laptop goes to sleep, the external display will NOT come back on, period. I MUST unplug the adapter from the miniDP port and then plug it right back in, then it will work. This is terrible and stupid and I hope they fix it soon.

** In addition to this, most YouTube videos aren't playing on my macbook pro anymore, they simply load forever.

** Netflix works great on the laptop, but if I try to drag the window over to the external display, I get some kind of unauthorized monitor error and refuses to play. There is no workaround in Safari that I am aware of. I must open Chrome instead and do it. Chrome still gives an error, but it can be fixed by going to Chrome://components and clicking update to the winedlandblahblah button.

Finally, all the icons are simpler and uglier, when adjusting volume the icon lost transparency so now a big ugly blocked off icon appears.

I truly can't find anything I like better about this update, but I'm hoping I will change my tune when I pick up an iPhone 6 this week and play with the continuity features.

Oof! It looks like they are enforcing HDCP with Netflix on Safari. Hence why your monitor won't work. I would search for efforts to disable or fake HDCP checking with Netflix on external monitors.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Or just ditch the VGA. It's 2014. This was worth it to get rid of Silverlight finally and completely.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Le0 posted:

It looks like Chrome is slowing down because it's using 100% CPU time. It's got nothing to do with how much RAM you have.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fleshweasel posted:

Or just ditch the VGA. It's 2014. This was worth it to get rid of Silverlight finally and completely.

I had already planned on grabbing a Korean 27" IPS 1440P or a refurb 28" 4K for around $320. Are you saying those will work without a hitch? My PC use is pretty simple, and it gets a bit grating for Apple to enforce so many regulations.

If Apple made a car it would be governed to do no more than 70 MPH or whatever the legal max is in the region. Give me the F***n choice!

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

tesilential posted:

I had already planned on grabbing a Korean 27" IPS 1440P or a refurb 28" 4K for around $320. Are you saying those will work without a hitch? My PC use is pretty simple, and it gets a bit grating for Apple to enforce so many regulations.

If Apple made a car it would be governed to do no more than 70 MPH or whatever the legal max is in the region. Give me the F***n choice!

Calm down weirdo.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

tesilential posted:

Steve Jobs' dying words were "Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow -- oh and make sure you enforce HDCP just to annoy some nerd on an internet forum"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

tesilential posted:

I had already planned on grabbing a Korean 27" IPS 1440P or a refurb 28" 4K for around $320. Are you saying those will work without a hitch?
I'd also like to know...not sure if a 28" 4k makes sense because half the reason I want an external monitor is because it's NOT retina and figure it would be good to use for things like checking what art/websites look like for the rest of the world.