Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
What is it about some riding gear that makes normal activities nearly impossible? Wearing my pants I can hardly bend my leg up to grip onto my boot to slip it on. Wearing my jacket I cant move to do simple things like sitting down in a car or getting up from a car seat. I had to move my volvo wagon back about 5 feet from my garage and in the process almost fainted from being strangled to death by the collar.

Now moving around on the bike it doesnt prevent movement in any way. I could be playing the banjo as I ride down the street for all I cared. It is just everything else that is made inconvenient. Perhaps they just need to really break in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I can't sit in the car in my jackets because the back pads are too stiff and tend to be pushed up into my neck. They force me to lean forward uncomfortably.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice
I'm glad it's not only me that has a problem wearing gear off the bike. I figured it was just my body and the fact that nothing ever quite fits properly.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Hey guys need some help with some gear.

I'm buying some new gloves..I lost my left hand glove of my set so I'm sad :(

Anybody have any ideas about something like this? Teknic brand?
http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/gloves/teknic/supervent_pro_motorcycle_gloves.html
http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/gloves/teknic/violator_motorcycle_gloves.html

My previous pair were the short cuff style. I like them just fine, they fit right inside my leather jacket. However, they really didn't have any protection. I'd like to strike a balance between letting to much air in and not enough.

I'm in Texas. Weather right now is around 85 degrees! Haha, but it was cold for awhile I promise!

Also I'm looking for some new pants and boots. Newenough is having a closeout on these.
http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/boots/sidi/escape_motorcycle_boots.html

What do you think? I really like to do night riding. I don't want a whole bunch of wind coming through, but I'd like to stay comfortable off the bike.
http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/bargain_basement/sidi/champion_air_motorcycle_boots.html
or this
http://www.newenough.com/boots/waterproof_sport_street_touring_boots/tour_master/solution_wp_road_motorcycle_boots.html

And about pants...I really don't know where to start! It'll be hot during the day here, but then drop 30 degrees in a matter of hours... I'd really like Textile pants/overpants?

Please help! :D

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Today was the first day I wore my Alpinestars SP-2 Leather Gloves for any length of time. After about 20-30 minutes of riding my hands were sore as poo poo. the seams had left huge prints in my palms and my hands were all tingly. Something is up with the gloves and they really dont agree with my hands.

What are some alternatives? I have some Drystar gloves for cold weather riding that are warm but dont have the same level of knuckle protection. I need something I can wear for an hour or more without my hands going numb. :(

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

dietcokefiend posted:

Today was the first day I wore my Alpinestars SP-2 Leather Gloves for any length of time. After about 20-30 minutes of riding my hands were sore as poo poo. the seams had left huge prints in my palms and my hands were all tingly. Something is up with the gloves and they really dont agree with my hands.

Dude, those gloves...they really do hurt! I thought I just tried on the wrong size, but they're awful!

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

dietcokefiend posted:

Today was the first day I wore my Alpinestars SP-2 Leather Gloves for any length of time. After about 20-30 minutes of riding my hands were sore as poo poo.

Weird, my SP-2s are my favorite gloves. They do run small and mine took a while to break in.

I bought a Tour Master Transition 2 jacket in Hi-Viz yellow about a week ago. It's my fourth riding jacket, and my favorite so far. It has about seventy pockets, it's easy to adjust the fit around the arms and waist, and the little touches like the soft collar liner and waterproof zipper covers are done right. Considering how cheap it was (compared to the BMW and Rev'It gear I was also looking at) I think it's a great value.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Captain Apollo posted:

Hey guys need some help with some gear.

I'm buying some new gloves..I lost my left hand glove of my set so I'm sad :(

Anybody have any ideas about something like this? Teknic brand?
http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/gloves/teknic/supervent_pro_motorcycle_gloves.html
http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/gloves/teknic/violator_motorcycle_gloves.html

My previous pair were the short cuff style. I like them just fine, they fit right inside my leather jacket. However, they really didn't have any protection. I'd like to strike a balance between letting to much air in and not enough.

I'm in Texas. Weather right now is around 85 degrees! Haha, but it was cold for awhile I promise!

Also I'm looking for some new pants and boots. Newenough is having a closeout on these.
http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/boots/sidi/escape_motorcycle_boots.html

What do you think? I really like to do night riding. I don't want a whole bunch of wind coming through, but I'd like to stay comfortable off the bike.
http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/bargain_basement/sidi/champion_air_motorcycle_boots.html
or this
http://www.newenough.com/boots/waterproof_sport_street_touring_boots/tour_master/solution_wp_road_motorcycle_boots.html

And about pants...I really don't know where to start! It'll be hot during the day here, but then drop 30 degrees in a matter of hours... I'd really like Textile pants/overpants?

I have a pair of the older Teknic Chicane gloves (which are a step down from the you linked), and I find them pretty decent. I have the full gauntlet style, and my jacket tucks right into them. I've never really liked wearing gloves for anything but I find them bearable if a little wide in the fingers. However it's only in the mid 80's out here right now and will heat up a lot, possibly necessitating a pair that flows more air in the next couple of months.

They're relatively comfortable, but flow exactly zero air and won't fit into any pocket designed by man. And the palms in them are thick, and they have the older carbon fiber contours over the knuckles, which would probably take a pretty solid beating before becoming compromised. I've also seen them, as well as the Violator line, offered in short cuff style. I also have a Teknic jacket that is pretty great so far, so I will definitely try some more of their gear in the future.

That first pair of boots that you linked won't offer any ankle support. I tried the Alpinestar version of that shoe out a while ago, and while it was light and comfortable it felt like it would be really easy to roll an ankle in one of them. I would lean more towards one of the other pairs you linked.

As far as pants go I grabbed a pair of textile/mesh overpants from a local place, and have zero complaints about them so far. I wear a pair of slacks or jeans under them all day, and have not yet developed a serious case of swamp rear end. They flow air really well, and once it really heats up I'll probably wear a pair of shorts under them or just go commando. They aren't designed to survive a get off, but offer good abrasion resistance on places you're likely going to land, and have removable armor in the hips and knees. I haven't really tried them out with the liner in, but it seems like it would block a lot of air and keep them much warmer.

Links to my gear:
Gloves:
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/motorcycle+gloves/teknic_chicane+full+gauntlet+leather+gloves (The Violators are a step up from these guys.)

Boots:
http://www.jafrum.com/MB2600 (Not terrible and offer a bunch of lateral support.)

Pantaloons:
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/mesh_jackets_and_pants/first_gear/ht_air_2_mesh_motorcycle_overpants.html (The hip armor is kinda thin, I'll probably upgrade to the CE rated inserts eventually)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Captain Apollo posted:

I have a pair of Scorpion Exo Duce pants I bought from a b&m store. They ran me $120, you might be able to find them cheaper online. My first pair of riding pants, but I've had no complaints. They're comfortable enough, with mesh panels in the thighs and calves to allow some air circulation. Armor in the knees and hips. Also have a removable windproof liner for when it gets chilly.

Here, I found you a link with a video review: http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=4097

Looks like they're around 149 online, but still reasonable.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

predictive posted:

Weird, my SP-2s are my favorite gloves. They do run small and mine took a while to break in.

I bought a Tour Master Transition 2 jacket in Hi-Viz yellow about a week ago. It's my fourth riding jacket, and my favorite so far. It has about seventy pockets, it's easy to adjust the fit around the arms and waist, and the little touches like the soft collar liner and waterproof zipper covers are done right. Considering how cheap it was (compared to the BMW and Rev'It gear I was also looking at) I think it's a great value.

Well hopefully it is just a matter of breaking in. If not mine have a bit of room on the palm surface that I could wedge in a piece of leather or something to add padding over the stitching seams.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
I just got a pair of Joe Rocket Blasters for $46 dollars. They're warm and comfy and cheap! These will probably hold me over for a little bit but I'll have to get a pair of Helds someday...

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.
Yeah my SP-2 gloves are pretty uncomfortable too. Hopefully they'll break in and become more comfortable over time. I bought them because I heard nothing but good about them, and people were saying they're the best you can get for that price.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
One of the 3 sets of SP2s I bought were too small, and I got the numb/tingly feeling. I'd break them in and see if it goes away.

I had a set of GP Pros that I bought on closeout that were a size too small, they took a month of the worst discomfort ever to break in, but once they did they fit like a second skin. Too bad I loaned the gloves out once I got my helimots and never saw them again.

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.
drat, I guess that means I have to do more riding to get them broken in. Such a chore.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Watommi posted:

drat, I guess that means I have to do more riding to get them broken in. Such a chore.

I think I will just wear mine at work for typing protection :madmax:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I wore my gloves off the bike, a lot, clenching and unclenching my hands to get them to break in nicely.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I got a new pair at a bike show a month ago and wore then while driving my car. I'm sure I looked like a douche but it really helped break them in.

I really miss riding. :(

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
Has anybody seen Iron Heart gear? They make jeans in 21oz denim and it's super thick...

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

EvilCrayon posted:

Has anybody seen Iron Heart gear? They make jeans in 21oz denim and it's super thick...

Still jeans and still not any real protection. Denim splits open real drat fast on asphalt. Really nice jeans though, I've been meaning to pickup a pair of their selvedge straight leg.

free bowl of soup
Jan 14, 2004

Does anybody know anything about the Rhino brand? There's a tent set up at the Daytona Speedway for bike week, and they have these gloves that both look and feel really great. The only problem is that I can't seem to find any information about the quality as it applies to safety. I don't want to have a crash and then have the gloves just fall apart.

I have a link to their website: http://www.rhinoleathers.com/rhinogloves.htm <-- and that's the page for the gloves I'm looking at. The price is really great, which is why I'm tempted to get them, but I really care more about safety than money.

Meho
Feb 1, 2006
Born to Lurk
If anyone's got a spare newenough coupon going to waste, I'd sure appreciate it. Just bought an '05 Vulcan Nomad and the fiance and I are about to do a lot more riding.....

meho7 AT aol.com (yeah, yeah, I know AOL.......my spam account)

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Crash test!

Had a low speed highside a couple of hours ago. I'll post pics when I get home but here are the preliminary results:

Teknic Chicane jacket: Scuffed up one sleeve, and the right shoulder badges are no longer pretty, all the stitching seems to have held. No damage to my arms or torso. Verdict: Jacket still usable as is.

Teknic Chicane gloves: Scuffed up one palm, leather still nice and thick there, just not pretty. Tore the Velcro strip from the leather backing on one glove, will need to be restitched. My left palm is a little sore but no rashing or bruising on me.
Verdict: Will be serviceable after I run it through a sewing machine a bit.

Vega Nitro boots: The right boot will never be pretty again, but my feet, ankles, and calves are fine.
Verdict: Best $50 piece of footwear ever.

Firstgear HT Air over pants: Just my luck, I completely missed the textile patches and landed (and subsequently dragged) one of the mesh panels. Except for where it took a direct hit all the stitching held. The bottom zipper on the right leg will probably need to be repaired/replaced but I zipped them back up once I got into campus. Only the top mesh layer took any damage, the underlaying cordura portion seems fine. I'm going to stitch a couple of heavy duty denim or textile panels over the two small holes in the mesh. However the right knee pad either slid or is just too thin because my knee is really stiff right now. Of course I just fell of a loving motorcycle so that shouldn't really surprise me.
Verdict: Needs minor repair, but will otherwise be serviceable.

HJC CL-SP: This is why you buy a full face helmet. I nailed the chin bar pretty good. No visible damage but there's no reason to risk my melon on it being able to take two in a row. If this was a nice helmet I would consider having it x-rayed to for damage. But at $80 I'm ordering a new one next paycheck. Minor scuffing on the visor, which I plan on reusing. If it wasn't for this lid, well I'd probably still be alive, but I would have probably broken my jaw, lost consciousness, and poo poo teeth for a week.
Verdict: After today this is relegated to my training helmet.

1982 CB750SC: The bad news is I think the bike is now technically totaled. I think I damaged the odo in a crash, which out hear means the vehicle would be written off in a claim. However as this was a single vehicle crash there will be no claim filed, and as I'm planing on running this thing into the ground, resale value is no concern.

The worst of the damage was to the instrument bezel. I need to replace the glass over the odo(s), and the plastic bezel around all the instrumentation. All indicators (both on the panel and on the bike itself) still work fine. I lost one reflector, banged up the headlight bezel, and scuffed the transmission cover. And... that's it. Everything that normally breaks in a crash like pegs, levers, mirrors, etc. is completely fine. I'm out a hundred bucks for aesthetic pieces and a new key (which got bent when it cleaved the hell through the bottom of the instrument panel) but it could have been much worse.

The bike is getting limped home this afternoon and will be out of commission for a few weeks. The instrument panel needs to be repaired, and I'm replacing the front pads and rear shoes, which I should have done as soon as I got the bike. I'm also going to use this down time to replace cables, re-shim valves, and pick up a copy of proficient motorcycling (again something I should have done a while ago).

I'm pissed off at myself for not handling the situation to the best of my ability but I'm choosing to look at this as learning experience. This could have been so much worse it's not even funny; but any crash you can walk away from is a good one, and any crash you can drive away from is a great one.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

I'm glad your gear held up and you are ok.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Glad you're ok, and the damage to the bike is relatively minor.

If you feel so inclined, you should post up the details of the accident in one of the other threads, or start a crash thread.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Z3n posted:

Glad you're ok, and the damage to the bike is relatively minor.

If you feel so inclined, you should post up the details of the accident in one of the other threads, or start a crash thread.

That sounds like a great idea. Let me just get the pictures together and I'll have a new thread up in a few.

Also both to you and jdonz:
Thanks.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
Time to get a new jacket... I've been going to the Dainese store almost every single day. The fit is so nice but it's so expensive... It's over 400 for a decent jacket.

Should I go with Vansons/Dainese/Other High-end Brand or should I stick with Alpinestar...

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

EvilCrayon posted:

Time to get a new jacket... I've been going to the Dainese store almost every single day. The fit is so nice but it's so expensive... It's over 400 for a decent jacket.

Should I go with Vansons/Dainese/Other High-end Brand or should I stick with Alpinestar...

Since when is AlpineStar not high end? Their stuff is always right behind Dainese in price.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Reading through face plant on ADVrider and I noticed this thread about flip up helmets. It might be an isolated incident for sure but I'm glad I bought a normal full face:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347210

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007

pr0zac posted:

Since when is AlpineStar not high end? Their stuff is always right behind Dainese in price.

The fit was never spot-on like Dainese but maybe it's just my body-type

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
Thinking about buying new tires and some new summer gloves off NewEnough. Anyone have a coupon they're not going to use?

MuffinMan
Oct 1, 2001

roger that sir, you're good to go.
I was looking for some suggestions for hot weather riding. I live in Phoenix AZ and when I originally purchased my bike, it was winter and I worked graves so I went with a full leather alpinestars jacket. The jacket also happens to be black, and now during a nice 85 degree day when it's sunny, I'm broiling inside. I fear when it becomes 112-115.

If anyone could suggest a really reliable textile jacket designed for lots of sun and heat I'd be very appreciative. I've been looking at a number of sites but you really can't tell how well something will breathe that way.

Something I could possible get in white would probably be a huge improvement as well.

edit: also, sorry if this came up recently i've been skimming the last few pages and haven't seen anyone crazy enough to ride in this heat. or i'm blind.

MuffinMan fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 5, 2009

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
I've got a Teknic Supervent Pro that is probably about as airy and breezy as you can get. They seem to really be cut for slim builds, which was one of the reasons I got one. It was one of the few jackets I tried on that was long enough in the arms without hanging off my torso like a tent.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
http://newenough.com/closeouts/bargain_basement/joe_rocket/lucky_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html

Armor in the elbows, shoulders, back.

Zip off sleeves.

I got mine in blue, gently caress yeah. 72 bucks.

WAS THERE THE NEXT DAY!

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.
I'm heading to the AMA Superbike race in Atlanta next month, and I'm thinking about getting some of those custom molded earphones made. I have a pair of Etymotic ER-6is but they hurt after an hour or so and don't sound particularly great. Has anyone had custom earphones made, and do they work any better than off the shelf stuff?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I just ordered a hein gericke 'tricky'. The non-current jackets are going for 150 all over the internet. MSRP was 350.

I really wanted the maverick but I couldn't find it on clearance.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Zool posted:

I just ordered a hein gericke 'tricky'. The non-current jackets are going for 150 all over the internet. MSRP was 350.

That's a really nice looking jacket.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

PlasticSun posted:

That's a really nice looking jacket.

Looks much better than my red power ranger set up.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

predictive posted:

I'm heading to the AMA Superbike race in Atlanta next month, and I'm thinking about getting some of those custom molded earphones made. I have a pair of Etymotic ER-6is but they hurt after an hour or so and don't sound particularly great. Has anyone had custom earphones made, and do they work any better than off the shelf stuff?

I have a set of EAR Inc sports monitors I was really happy with them until the left driver stopped working. I never sent them back in for repair but I will now if I can find them. The only thing I didn't like is the fact that the wires are very thick and they were uncomfortable where they rested between my ear and the helmet.

fnkels
Aug 17, 2004

Zool posted:

Can you write a review of the jacket when you get it? I'm thinking of getting it as well, but there aren't too many reviews on the internet. Is the posted pic with armor installed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
People wearing nice leather jackets like that always make me really jealous. I ought to take a picture of me in them, people never believe how long my torso is, it's impossible to get a leather jacket to fit.

I've actually tried a few of the HG jackets on, it's probably my favourite place to browse. Kinda reminds me of Sony electronics, good quality but very pricy.