Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

piss boner posted:

All require TS clearance & DOD 8570 IAT-II:

How exactly does security clearances in general work? I was always under the assumption you can't get anything until you're offered the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Sab669 posted:

How exactly does security clearances in general work? I was always under the assumption you can't get anything until you're offered the job.

Ex-military people mostly, I think.

The contractor thread in GiP is pretty amusing. $300k a year doing... something in Afghanistan.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Sab669 posted:

You would need the clearance first.

fivre posted:

The contractor thread in GiP is pretty amusing. $300k a year doing... something in Afghanistan.

Up to, yeah... some more than that.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
300k a year? holy hell. I'd go to afghanistan for a year or two if it meant I could sit around, live off savings, and work on my own projects for a few years after that.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Helpdesk position available in Ann Arbor, MI.

:edit: filled

Mierdaan fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 3, 2012

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Of the research I did, you have to be sponsored, so you either have to be working with someone who needs the clearance or have a company REALLY want you to take the 6 months to a year to get the clearance. This basically restricts the job to military or current contractors with clearance. It seems to be pretty hard to get the clearance unless you're already there with a foot in the door.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Who we are: A health media company
What we do: Interactive wellness websites
When: Now!

We're looking for a Rails and Javascript programmer who wants to create new, fun, and exciting web sites for our customers. Quick learner, pro-active, attention to detail, blah blah.

Write amazing front-end code using HTML, CSS and JavaScript (jQuery)
Write beautiful server-side code to support your front-end
Ensure that your code supports multiple platforms, ranging from Internet Explorer to the latest Android tablet
Contribute new ideas to improve our technologies, processes, and products

Android and iOS app experience is a plus but not required.

We have a mixture of Mac, Linux, and Windows machines so we'll buy you whatever you're comfortable with. We have a brand-new office and there are 5 other web developers.

email: robvas@gmail.com

We're also looking for an additional graphics designer to work on web, print and mobile assets! Adobe CS experience needed, of course.

Fun environment, no dress code, and you get a brand-new 27" iMac!

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
Who we are: An image search engine
What we do: Search

Looking for a linux (ubuntu) sysadmin to run the entire operation, (puppet, hardware, monitoring, networking etc..). Great people, great office, flextime. PM for details.

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010
My employer just announced major layoffs over the next year, so I guess I'll throw my hat in.

My experience: Roughly two years as a linux Sysadmin. Mostly work with Ubuntu these days, have worked with RedHat and CentOS in the past.

Education/Certifications: Diploma (I'm Canadian so I think the best analogue for Americans is an associate degree? Two years, anyway) in Computer Systems from a technical institute.

What I'm looking for: (Linux)Sys Admin work would be ideal. I've also got training with a variety of programming languages (Java, C#, PHP, C, C++, others) but no professional experience, so I'd be learning on the job.

What I'm NOT looking for: Helpdesk, 1st level tech support

About me: My diploma focused mostly on programming rather than admin, so I've had to pick up everything I know about linux and sysadmin tasks on the fly. I've done fairly well at this, in my current role I manage web/database servers for a small team, as well as the servers I need to support them (Nagios monitoring, bacula for backups, puppet a little bit for deploying new servers mostly). Almost all of our infrastructure is on ESX hosts and managed by Vsphere. As a sysadmin on a team of developers I generally have to do my work without supervision, so I've had to become pretty good at that.

Where I Live: Vancouver BC, Canada.

Where I'm looking: Local would be ideal, but I am prepared to relocate for the right offer (I'd need to be sponsored to leave Canada though)

When can I Start: Immediately.

Can be reached via: PM or email at lornedixon at hot mail dot com

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Who we are: Urban Robotics
What we do: 2D/3D Aerial photography and Cluster Computing.
https://www.urbanrobotics.net

Before I get started: We do NOTHING with Robotics. Sorry to disappoint.

Urban Robotics is a Software and Hardware Engineering company located in downtown Portland, Oregon. We build high resolution 2D/3D imaging systems and portable cluster computing environments.

Job: Systems Engineer
We need a motivated Systems Engineer to handle creating and maintaining images for our field hardware. You would be responsible for our Windows 7 machines and our Solaris based ZFS datastations. Along with maintaining the quarterly Windows Update cycle and Group Policy hardening required by our customers. You would be working under the production manager and providing general support to our field staff. Travel is required, but generally no longer then a week.

What I am looking for: Someone with 4+ years experience in imaging and a background in general Windows/Linux support. A strong technical background, experience with Supermicro servers, Group policy administration, Windows Firewall, and some experience in Unix/Linux. For the imaging side of things: you know what WPE/ ImageX/ WIMS / WAIK are and have used it in the past. You can sysprep a system in no time flat. Clonezilla is your best friend.

You must be willing to learn and move at a fast pace to succeed.

Cool things We have a great office, great staff, and the ability to work from home. Full benefits, 401k contribution, raises, ect.

*You must be able to obtain a Security Clearance and pass a Background Check.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 18, 2013

All-Beef Patricide
Dec 9, 2003
Who we are: Kaseya
What we do: The leading provider in large-scale system management software. We provide a software solution to manage small to huge amounts of machines to managed service providers, governments, state entities, schools, etc.
When: In the next couple of weeks

I just had a coworker put in notice as he is moving out of state for family stuff so I figured I'd try again here. This is hot off the presses and has not been posted anywhere yet. If you are local or are willing to relocate on your own, please read on.

We are looking for someone skilled in Javascript (ExtJS 4 in particular), C#, SQL Server (less important) to join our UI team. We build the toolkit that allows the rest of our company's developers to deliver top-notch front-end experiences for their modules, and for the core system. This position is particularly cool because you're part of the core of the system (layoff proof!) and you get to interact with all sorts of other teams and help them get the perfect user experience.

Kaseya is one of the best companies I have ever worked for, and I have worked for small shops, Microsoft, DOD contractors, and more. We offer full benefits, unlimited vacation and sick leave (within reason), stock options, and have a small, tight-nit team that works closely together. And the pay is better than average for the area. Plus we have no income taxes, low cost of living, the best restaurants in the country, and endless entertainment.

We're very very informal, which is a rarity in Las Vegas, and our main goal is to write killer software and make the company money and make our customers happy. Because we're a small company, we do work directly with customers in certain cases, which to me is a plus, but bear that in mind. If you are a good people person with customers and are a good coder, you will go VERY far.

If you are experienced in .NET development with a good amount of Javascript experience, ideally with frameworks like ExtJS, JQuery, etc., and are interested in a new opportunity in Las Vegas please send your resume to matt.murray@kaseya.com and I will get it directly into the hands of our Senior VP of Engineering.

Hopefully I'll finally get a goonbite as the recruiters here are shady as all hell

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
[Position filled! Thanks for all the interest!]

Rohaq fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 13, 2012

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I'm a Python/Ruby/web programmer living in the US who wants to find a position in the UK. I don't have any idea where I'd look for jobs from people specifically looking to bring in an immigrant, or the best way to go about securing a job like that, and making sure I can stay abroad. Does anyone have any resources for that sort of thing?

EDIT: I see a lot of positions saying "You must be eligible to work in the UK, we can't sponsor visas" or the like. I see these rules about eligibility but they also mention work permits. Can I get a work permit from a company or is there some other bullshit involved?

And then there appears to be a certificate of sponsorship. What's the difference between that, the work permit, and the eligibility?

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 26, 2012

Dogthree
Mar 18, 2002
Oh
Who we are: University of Pittsburgh
What we are looking for: A NOC Monitor. This position is the first line of support in the datacenter. This is not a helpdesk position. It's sort of a junior network admin / system admin position. Several of our current admins started as monitors so it's a great position to learn in with a bit of a safety net. You'll work on most of the network connection issues on campus as well as VLAN changes and other basic NA work. You'll also be the first responder to any alerts thrown by the monitoring system.
Other Benefits: Fantastic retirement and medical benefits, 97% off undergrad education and 90% off graduate education.
When: Now, We have one open position and potentially one more (someone is likely getting promoted, and the current spot is to fill someone who just got promoted)
Can be reached: This thread, PM, yesaghost AT gmail

Here is the official posting:
https://www.pittsource.com/postings/60186

TheKING
Aug 13, 2003

JOB SEEKER

My experience: Four months as a software developer, using VBA and SQL within MS Access. I'm also familiar with C, C++, Java, Python, SQL, and VB.NET

Education: Bachelor's in Management; Certificates in Java and Database expected December 2012

What I'm looking for: Developer positions in any language.

About Me: I am looking for something challenging that will forward my abilities. When I began my current job I had no experience with VBA and was able to design and implement an order/task processing system for the entire front office in less than two months. I am confident I can make meaningful contributions in any language within a matter of weeks.

Where I live: Indianapolis, IN

Where I am looking: Anywhere in the world

When I can start: Two weeks from when I am offered a job

Can be reached via: PM, ksmast2 at gmail dot com

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Who we are: A well funded startup
What we do: Really cool stuff with email
When: This month

What we're looking for: We're looking for a couple of mid to senior level C#/ASP.NET developers who want to get out of a cubicle and into startup-land. Ideally you'd be pretty awesome with C#/ASP.NET and know some Python on top of it.

Bonus Points
Good eye for design
jQuery/JS experience
Desire to contribute and come up with new ideas to help us make better products.

We're opening a great office in downtown Denver right now. New developers get a generous allowance to buy whatever machine they want, benefits are top notch, stock options are available, no dress code, beer on Friday, all that kind of thing.

We're not looking to relocate people, but if you're a really strong candidate I'd be a little more open to the idea.

How do I apply?
PM me (preferably with resume)

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
edit: yotj'd

co199 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 23, 2012

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis
Job Seeker

My experience: Software developer as a freelance contractor since 2006 for numerous clients. Notable recent work include SA's own Treytor (I built a developed an outgoing phone call system that handles 5 million calls a year) and the Something Awful Archive Search engine.

Here's my strong areas:
  • C#, .NET Framework, ASP.NET (especially MVC) and WinForms.
  • I can do VB.NET, but only if you let me stab you in the spleen first.
  • Java, but if this is a new project then you must have a good excuse.
  • C/C++. I can do these for smallish projects, or if you'd like me to maintain an existing program/system. Don't ask me to create a new GUI program as I lack competency in that area. I'm familiar with Win32.
  • Website design - I'm good at site design too, it's what I was doing before I learned to code (and what got me into Computer Science), but I've kept my design streak throughout my life as a coder.

About me: Fairly-recent Computer Science BSc. I got YoTJ this October, but until then I need some jobs to help pay the bills.

What I'm looking for: Anything that involves writing code and getting paid for it.

What I'm NOT looking for: Anything that doesn't involve writing code.

Where I live: Somewhere in the UK

Where I'm looking: Internet telecommute.

When I can start: Immediately. I'm available until September.

Can be reached via: PM, email: shsc.10.destructoid@spamgourmet.com

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Job Seeker

My experience: I've been working in IT since 2005, and an IT Consultant since 2008. My career has progressed from end user support, through desktop architecture into Systems Administration and Design. I am currently in a Business Analyst type role for a large Windows 7 project.

Here's some highlights
  • Business Analysis experience, specifically requirements gathering, process design and gap analysis.
  • Has developed and delivered classroom and 1-on-1 training programs for Windows 7 and Office.
  • Systems Consultant experience, writing infrastructure analysis and project road maps, with a focus on cost effective scalable solutions.
  • Systems Administration experience, day to day management of data center monitoring technologies, coordinating with a NOC and other technical teams. Acted as the escalation point and incident manager for all infrastructure issues.
  • Intermediate architectural familiarity with VMWare, Citrix, Exchange, and Windows Server technologies.
  • Desktop Architecture, image creation, patch management, inventory, procurement and deployment.

About me: Highly motivated IT consultant who isn't afraid of getting in front of clients, technical resources, classrooms or under a server rack if necessary. I know my way around a SOW, WBS and other technical and sales documentation. I can speak the business language as well the technical jargon.

What I'm looking for: Anything local that challenges me, pays well and is a natural progression of my skill set.

What I'm NOT looking for: More than 25% travel or relocating.

Where I live: Calgary, AB, Canada

Where I'm looking: Calgary or telecommute.

When I can start: Negotiable, currently FTE.

Can be reached via: PM

Mightaswell fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 5, 2012

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Using drugs will kill. So be for real.
Got this posting from my HR, cross-posting this from the BFC jobs thread in case there are any software development goons up in Santa Clara that are interested. PM me for more details.

Dex One is hosting a career event on July 12, 2012 at our new Santa Clara location. We are looking to hire talented Java Developers, Quality Assurance Engineers, SCRUM Masters and Product Managers to join our team. If you or someone you know might be interested, please visit Dex One Santa Clara Event to learn more about it. Please be sure that you mention my name if you submit your resume.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Job seeker

My experience: I'm graduating with a BSc in computing science at SFU this August. My entire experience so far is in small personal projects, coursework, and a directed studies project.

I developed a module for the SFU course management web app using MySQL, Python(Django), jQuery, and AJAX as a part of a 9 person team using agile development.

About me: Motivated new software developer looking to start a career.

What i’m looking for: An entry level software development position.

What i’m NOT looking for: Anything that doesn't involve writing code.

Where I live: Burnaby, BC, Canada

Where I'm looking: Greater Vancouver

When I can start: The beginning of September

Can be reached via: PM

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Gonna give this another go since it's been a while

Job seeker

My experience: Worked in Helpdesk since end 2007, one in a semi-managerial position (backup Team Lead for my current job, going on 1 year)

About me: Wanting to get out of Helpdesk and into deskside/server support.

What i’m looking for: A position that will give me challenges, but training to go alongside those challenges. A mostly English speaking company, with the ability to help me practice the French that I need to practice. A position that will also encourage me to continue studying for my certificates.

I will perform Helpdesk telephone support, but I would prefer company support than end user.

What i’m NOT looking for: Primarily French support. I need a YOTJ bad.

Where I live: Montreal, QC (Canada)

Where I'm looking: Montreal Downtown, but am willing to travel anywhere along the Metro if need be

When I can start: 2 weeks notice would need to be given, but pmuch immediately.

Can be reached via: PM, migishu at gmail

e: This is pmuch essential now since we just got notified that we're all getting laid off in 4 months time.

I'm willing to relax my restrictions a bit. Updated my wishlist.

Migishu fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 16, 2012

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

This is pretty far in advance as I graduate in September, but I'll throw it out there I guess.

Job Seeker

My experience:

A five month internship that originated as me helping a small company migrate their local Access database to a cloud-based SQL platform. After this task was complete they kept me around to learn and set up their Sharepoint website and other administrative / help desk duties.
A second internship developing Windows Forms in C#. I've been here for about 3 months now and will be here for 2 more months until I graduate.
I also tutored associate-level students for a while during my bachelor's program

About me: I would definitely say my strength is in C#, and I do enjoy .NET but I really like web development. PHP is my favorite, but not my best skill set. I also am really interested in Android development at the moment.

What I'm looking for: Pretty much anything, really. Something with growth potential and preferably something that will expose me to many different technologies. The company I work at now still have devs using Visual Fox Pro and I know my future here wouldn't offer much change.

What I'm NOT looking for: Help desk.

Where I live & looking for work: I'm in central Rhode Island, but I'm very open to relocation almost anywhere. I'm open to international work if it seems like a particularly cool thing.

When I can start: October 2012.

Reach me: PM me here or dleb669 at gmail.com

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 16, 2012

mim
Apr 25, 2010

Sab669 posted:

This is pretty far in advance as I graduate in September, but I'll throw it out there I guess.

Job Seeker

My experience:

A five month internship that originated as me helping a small company migrate their local Access database to a cloud-based SQL platform. After this task was complete they kept me around to learn and set up their Sharepoint website and other administrative / help desk duties.
A second internship developing Windows Forms in C#. I've been here for about 3 months now and will be here for 2 more months until I graduate.
I also tutored associate-level students for a while during my bachelor's program

About me: I would definitely say my strength is in C#, and I do enjoy .NET but I really like web development. PHP is my favorite, but not my best skill set. I also am really interested in Android development at the moment.

What I'm looking for: Pretty much anything, really. Something with growth potential and preferably something that will expose me to many different technologies. The company I work at now still have devs using Visual Fox Pro and I know my future here wouldn't offer much change.

What I'm NOT looking for: Help desk.

Where I live & looking for work: I'm in central Rhode Island, but I'm very open to relocation almost anywhere. I'm open to international work if it seems like a particularly cool thing.

When I can start: October 2012.

Reach me: PM me here or dleb669 at gmail.com

Sent you an email!

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat
Job Seeker

My experience
Solid developer/DBA work (20 yrs) expert in SQL Server, proficient in Oracle; some experience in Interbase and Firebird; developed client-server apps; database performance tuning tools; custom small business software. Delphi, some C#/.NET experience, perl, Paradox, FoxPro.

About me
I like to program in Delphi or C#/.NET and to work on database performance tuning and development. Interested in developing open source software and learning Django. I'm flexible and good at quickly learning new technologies and tools.

What I'm looking for
To help out on interesting projects. I'm available for up to 20 hours per month.

What I'm not looking for
Team lead, help desk, full-time work.

Where I live & looking for work
Austin, Texas. Available for telecommuting as well.

When I can start
Late July/early August

Reach me
contact via PM or cjcohen1963 at gmail

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Job Seeker

My Experience
I've worked in Desktop Support for a major University for the last 6 years. Serviced about 2000 computers as part of a team of 7~ for about 4.5 years of the time and I later worked as the lone contact for a single department for the remainder. The system was managed by Novell and ticketing was handled by Remedy. I also managed the IT surplus department for about 3 years.

About me
Aside from working professionally in Desktop Support, I do have some educational background in programming and have hobbyist experience in C#, Java and Perl. I think I'd really enjoy an entry level programming job and would gladly send you some of my work upon request. I'm really interested in just learning pretty much anything in a the technical fields. I'm not picky, just curious!

What I'm looking for
Any position where I'm given the opportunity to learn in full time employment.

What I'm not looking for
Help Desk (although I'd consider it if there are opportunities to move elsewhere and the compensation is right).

Where I live & looking to work
Fargo, ND. I'll move pretty much anywhere as I'm looking to start a career.

When can I start
As soon as you need me

Reach me
Contact me via PM or mkautzm at gmail

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 18, 2012

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Job Seeker

My Experience
Three years experience as the sole administrator for a 45-50 user shop running Server 2k8 R2 / Win 7 Pro x64. AD/GPO Administration. RDS and RRAS Management. Full domain migration from Server 2k3 -> 2k8 R2. Support for both local office and remote out of state office users via in-person, telephone, and email.

SQL 2k8 Management (Jr. Level) with management console. Database migration from SQL 2k5 -> 2k8. Backup and Maintenance tasks through SQL Management Console.

Centralized AV Management (Sophos)

End user support for Win 7 Pro x64 / Office 2k10.

(Dell) SonicWALL TZ series routers.

NAS file storage and backups. Branching out into full fledged SAN / Virtual Environment. Single server on-site and off-site backup using Acronis backup for multiple machines with both file restoration and bare metal rebuilds.

vSphere Hypervisor 5 (Limited experience in a full ESXi environment).

Rackspace hosted POP3/IMAP webmail for Outlook / Chaos Intellect / iOS / Android Devices.

Microsoft Licensing structures for Server 2k8 R2 / SQL Server / Win7/ Office2k10

About me

Started as an Engineering major at Purdue University. Transferred out of the program to pursue an alternate degree path. Took a job as Helpdesk for my current corporation and transitioned into the sole administrator of their entire network.

Drafted a migration plan for their aging Server 2k3 environment on single Tower servers to a rackmounted server solution running Server 2k8 R2. Implemented centrally managed antivirus using Sophos. Transitioned the company from SQL Server 2k5 Express to SQL Server 2k8 Workgroup including database backup and migration. Additionally worked to migrate our Access 2k3 proprietary software to be compatible with SQL Server 2k8 as an MDB/SQL Hybrid.

Basic networking capabilities on Netgear equipment (GS7xxTS series switches). CAT5e/CAT6 runs and installations. Basic VLAN experience. Also plenty of experience installing telco racks and wiring patch panels.

Currently my self-learning projects are setting up automated PXE installs for workstation deployment and server managed updates for Windows Environments over WSUS. Working my way through transitioning our current environment from individual physical servers to a VMware ESXi5 environment with multiple hosts and HA over SAN.

I assume that this would be a given for any type of position I'm looking for but I've also got plenty of experience dismantling/repairing/replacing workstation/laptop/server hardware.

What I'm looking for

Strictly back end administrative support. Either working Solo (with some corporate paid Certifications / Training for MS Qualifications) or with an Administrative team.

Jr. or Sr. level Microsoft Administrative position focusing on virtualized environments through ESXi or Hyper-V. Preferably focused on managing SAN/NAS hardware. Also looking for experience with internally hosted websites with IIS and a chance to delve into proper DNS management. Additionally looking for the ability to get my hands on a proper hosted (internal or external) exchange environment with support for mobile devices on Android/iOS/RIM platforms.

Would also be interested in any kind of consultation position for a company specializing in system design or SLA support.

What I'm not looking for

Helpdesk or Tier level end-user support. Tired of having to deal with "I can't figure out how Microsoft office works. Please show me how to not accidentally click Work in Offline Mode."

Western NY. Open to any jobs in the Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse area. Would be willing to move out of state for the right position.

When can I start

Two weeks from a signed employment agreement.

Reach me

Via PM on the boards and we can exchange email address' or some other form of contact info. Can provide a proper resume upon request. Prefer an over the phone interview for any out of state positions in advance of any travel.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 10, 2012

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010

Digital_Jesus posted:

Strictly back end administrative support.

Does this mean you want to talk to customers or you don't want to talk to end-users?

Also, what kinds of things would be needed to convince you to leave NY?

I don't have PMs, but you can drop me an email if you don't want to go in to it here: derian gmail.com.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

dolicf posted:

Does this mean you want to talk to customers or you don't want to talk to end-users?

Also, what kinds of things would be needed to convince you to leave NY?

I don't have PMs, but you can drop me an email if you don't want to go in to it here: derian gmail.com.

If it's a consulting position I'm definitely open to dealing with customers. I'm mostly looking to avoid having to deal with day to day end users doing basic office tasks. No problem dealing with a company's internal administrators for any kind of service contract work.

I'm honestly not sure what it would take me to leave NY at this point. Salary/Benefits would be evaluated in relation to the CoL of wherever the position is at. If you want to write a short summary of the position you've got I can drop you an email sometime tomorrow morning, about to head out of the night.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 19, 2012

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010
Word. Shoot me an email when you get a chance then -- there are lots of positions I can steer you towards that don't involve any end-user desktop type support stuff at all.

Cost of living is very low and salaries are pretty solid. Not amazing, but pretty good all things considered.

panhandlesysadmin
Jul 21, 2012
Reposted

panhandlesysadmin fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 20, 2013

Wuhao
Apr 22, 2002

Pimpin' Lenin
Who we are: A small casino gaming company.
What we do: We make a lot of nifty, original casino gaming stuff. This posting relates to some online casino loyalty stuff that isn't technically my project, but I think is pretty awesome anyway.
This is a contract position.

Looking for: PHP Developer to develop and optimize secure and scalable multi-tier web services.

What you'll be doing:
1. Develop web applications for casino loyalty program. This means the usual stuff: registration page for new and existing players club members, login page, e-mail confirmations, member pages that show card level, points accumulated, marketing gigs like events by the casino, and the ability to view and update a member's profile.

2. Develop a Facebook App integrating loyalty members. We can go into this in a lot of detail, but it's probably easiest to dig into the details during a conversation.

3. Working closely with our database and server guys, as well as front-end UI designers.

What we need:
- Experience building real-time online applications in a Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP environment.
- 3+ years of strong PHP development experience.
- Object Oriented PHP experience
- Strong SQL database architecture and implementation skills, specifically with experience in MySQL
- Programming logic, excellent code-writing style and intelligent commentary
- Comprehensive understanding of Facebook API

Good-to-have stuff:
- Experience working with Amazon AWS.

Inside scoop:
My last two postings were for my own team, but this one isn't. It's the same company, though. The team for this project is pretty cool and fun to work with. It's a pretty creative, fairly art-heavy team looking for some extra developer muscle to finish a project.

The lead told me he wants someone local to Las Vegas, but I believe that since we're talking about a contract job, a qualified candidate could do this remotely. I don't make the hiring decision, but if you think this posting describes you really well and you're worried about location, drop me your resume and I'll see what I can do.

To apply, PM me here, or e-mail me at jonas@logostopia.com. Please include a resume.

Mantari
May 8, 2005
:D
Lipstick Apathy
Edit: nm all good.

Mantari fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 5, 2012

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Job Seeker

My Experience
I've been doing end-user support for several years now working with individuals and small businesses running all manner of systems. On a daily basis I usually deal with Windows XP, Vista, 7 and OS X from 10.4 to 10.7, sometimes with an example of all of them on the bench being worked on at once.

The majority of the hardware I work with is home/SOHO level, but I have some experience with VLANs and iptables from dealing with DD-WRT and Sonicwall NSA-series routers.

I've done a lot of network wiring/termination and rack work.

I have a little bit of experience working with Windows Server 2008 r2 and the GPOs that go along with it.

My workplace is trying to shift into more of an MSP, so I have gained some experience doing remote support through LogMeIn Central and managing Symantec Hosted Endpoint clients.

About me
I've worked at a small local shop doing repair/retail stuff for 6 years on paper, although that was on-and-off due to my attending college full-time in another state (where I worked for A/V Services, so more end-user support stuff!) I was the first person hired at the shop that stayed employed for more than a month and I'm usually tasked with finding the solutions for esoteric or niggling problems that come up on client systems or more often with the systems in the shop.

I'm probably going to start studying for the CCNA soon and would really like to get an MCSE when I have the money for it.

What I'm looking for
I want to get into more sysadmin type stuff. Like Digital_Jesus said, I'm "tired of having to deal with "I can't figure out how Microsoft office works. Please show me how to not accidentally click Work in Offline Mode."" calls.

What I'm not looking for
Help Desk, although if it was a for-sure stepping stone into more admin-ish roles and the pay was right I could probably be convinced.

Currently I'm living in eastern Long Island. I would love to get into NYC, but I would be open to pretty much any US metro area.

When can I start
Three weeks from a concrete offer, although location of the job may affect that time frame.

Reach me
Via PM or inspector71@gmail.com

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 25, 2012

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
Well I don't expect much to come of this but I just realized I've spent the last week or so blocked on everything and just waiting for other people to do basic things. So why not write a job post?

Job Seeker

My experience
4+ years as a senior programmer at a well-known liberal arts college (Linux, Kerberos/LDAP, web application integration / development). 10 years prior to that as freelance web developer (PHP, Perl, Ruby, Python, JS). My daily responsibilities include serving as a backup for our primary Linux administrator, developing and maintaining our web application hosting cluster, creating shared libraries and conventions for our more junior developers, participating in "enterprise" identity management planning and implementation, configuration management, and when I have time, actual web application development. I have built everything from user-facing applications to arcane back-office processes.

What I'm looking for
A full time job that allows me to continue working with open source to develop and deploy services. Competent coworkers who don't block me for weeks at a time while they learn how to do their jobs.

OR

Contract work with loose deadlines for small businesses / nonprofits.

What I'm NOT looking for
Social networking*, user support, PHP*, Java, huge programmer egos, vendor lock-in.

Where I live
Portland, OR, not looking to relocate

When I can start
Within a month or two of an offer

Requirements
Competitive pay (close to if not just above 6 figures), health insurance

Can be reached via
PM, then email if there is a mutual interest

* unless it pays really, really well

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Who we are: MarinIT

Location: Office is in Novato California, actual job sites are usually within a 100 mile radius (I've been in Ukiah and Woodside in the same week before)

What we are looking for: IT Consultant, task completer, contract fulfiller. The company harvests contracts/jobs and we need to fulfill them! You are not contracted though, you are a full time employee. The positions to fill are pretty flexible, we're just casting a net here for people who are good computers, ranging from desktop support style work, all the way up to full scale systems administration (working with AD/OD domains, network creation and maintenance, client interaction and planning etc.)

this is a full/part time position, depending on how things go based on your skills and our needs

Description/Benefits: Insanely cool coworkers, flat hierarchy (only "Boss" is the one whos name is on the S-CORP, and he is rad), wide exposure to all sorts of technology, I personally am constantly bashing my head against just about everything there is, Active Directory (configuring group policy, installing/upgrading domains, imaging), Open Directory (OSX), Casper Suite, Apple MDM, Aerohive Wireless deployments (configuring, deploying and managing 30+ APs for full site coverage), Wireless surveys, as a programmer I've had a few projects that demanding some python and/or C# insanity, you pretty much do anything you can if you're willing.

We work with everything from small businesses (3-5 people) to bigger ones (50-100) to entire schools.

Be warned this job has you driving! A lot sometimes! I hope you like the North Bay because you'll see a lot of it.

When: ASAP!

Contact me at: max at marinit.com or pm me on the forums or walk around outside shouting my name and maybe one day you'll find me.

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 26, 2012

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
Who we are: A contract vitamin/foodstuff manufacturer

What we need: I am looking for someone who is familiar with dynamics 2012 to help me with deployment and custom scripting in HTML 5. The plan is to use iPads/touches to run warehouse and production lines, and tie the data collected back into dynamics.

This is a bid contract job for between 1000 and 5000 dollars us. If your not in the Phoenix area, no worries, remote access can be set up.

Contact me at jforeman at lifetreemfg.com

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Come worth with me!

Where? Sunnyvale, CA
What? Every job on this page http://www.zmanda.com/jobs.html

:siren:Immediate opening:siren: Support Engineer

We are losing a key member of our support team for our enterprise backup software. This opening requires strong Linux/Unix knowledge. It is otherwise identical to this posting: http://www.zmanda.com/jobs.html#Support_Windows

The actual job posting for this position has not been uploaded yet. You can get in on the ground floor. All other jobs are open, but we need a Unix/Linux guy ASAP.

Also, no one cares if you have a degree as long as you know your stuff. Like most companies, the job postings are for some theoretical ideal.

Why? Competitive pay. Benefits. Laid-back work environment. Small company with very little bullshit. And me! Sort of. I'm actually the one and only full-time remote employee in the company, but I do visit the office for a week every couple of months.

None of the positions offered are remote. You'll need to be at the office 9am-5pm (ish) Monday-Friday.

If you're interested in any position, let me know. I'll forward your resume straight to our CEO. I can be reached by forums PM or confusedus at gmail

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
London job opportunities for web/perl developers and support engineers ahead.

Hi all, you might have heard that Amazon recently bought lovefilm and have since announced the opening of a development center in London.

I currently work there and I have to say that they are recruiting like mad. There is so much planned for the future (which I can't really talk about in too much detail) across so many areas of development that if you have any technical skills that meet the criteria of any of these jobs, then make sure you send your c.v. to me at bravejadegoody@gmail.com so I can get you in touch with the right people. I am a developer myself and am not responsible for hiring but I am simply putting the word out and can help getting your cv to the right people internally if you are suitable for the job. I would also get a small referral bonus if you eventually got the job. I am declaring that right now just in case it seems shady :)

Be sure to include the url or job title of the position you are applying for.

Look here for a list of jobs, But I can only help you with the applications for ones in London

This could go in the op really because recruitment is ongoing.

Mr Cuddles fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trotski
Mar 26, 2009

Mr Cuddles posted:

London job opportunities for web/perl developers and support engineers ahead.

Hi all, you might have heard that Amazon recently bought lovefilm and have since announced the opening of a development center in London.

I currently work there and I have to say that they are recruiting like mad. There is so much planned for the future (which I can't really talk about in too much detail) across so many areas of development that if you have any technical skills that meet the criteria of any of these jobs, then make sure you send your c.v. to me at bravejadegoody@gmail.com so I can get you in touch with the right people. I am a developer myself and am not responsible for hiring but I am simply putting the word out and can help getting your cv to the right people internally if you are suitable for the job. I would also get a small referral bonus if you eventually got the job. I am declaring that right now just in case it seems shady :)

Be sure to include the url or job title of the position you are applying for.

Look here for a list of jobs, But I can only help you with the applications for ones in London

This could go in the op really because applications are ongoing.

Not sure if you're taking Americans, but this is awesome. Sent you an email.