Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

cheese eats mouse posted:

I know you want a scooter, but 12 miles is nothing on a bike and cheaper.

My commute is 11.7 miles and ain't no way you would catch me on a bicycle doing it. This coming from someone who used to be pretty big into bicycles. If you're commute doesn't have good bike infrastructure to keep you safe from traffic, or low speed roads you can bike on, I wouldn't do it. US is too bike unfriendly with a few urban exceptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
He said he was on 25mph roads most the way so it sounded very low traffic. I live in an ok bike friendly city though so it's more common around here. I have the scooter just for fun.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

poo poo I missed that part. Sounds doable then.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Can't it be both?

Seriously, given that commute description, a bike or a gas scooter would serve you fine. You'll be hard pressed to gain anything going electric, and at that point you are looking into battery replacement costs, etc.

Just get a nice mountain bike and an SR50, and live my dream commute.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
It's also good to consider that 12 miles is about an hour on a bicycle for the average commuter, down to maybe 40 minutes when you get your skill up. Maybe a little less if you're on very flat land, could be much more if it's hilly. It's great exercise but not everyone wants to leave an hour earlier every morning to make it to work on time.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Sagebrush posted:

It's also good to consider that 12 miles is about an hour on a bicycle for the average commuter, down to maybe 40 minutes when you get your skill up. Maybe a little less if you're on very flat land, could be much more if it's hilly. It's great exercise but not everyone wants to leave an hour earlier every morning to make it to work on time.

Not to mention factoring in either additional time to shower and change, or hanging out at the workplace all sweaty.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
When you can get a 50cc Zuma for $2600, I see no reason to bother paying over $10k for an electric scoot. Sure, you save on gas & CO2 emission---but batteries are nasty things too. That, and the Zuma/Metro/Ruckus/People/etc is super proven...

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
E-bikes are also a nice option. Something like a Prodeco with a manual throttle will run you $1200 and go 20mph unassisted, $2000 for an even nicer Polaris with pedal assist.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Another stolen scooter. I'm pretty much done dealing with this poo poo. Hopefully insurance pays ok. Just going to take the money and walk away.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Oh man, that's a shame. Where was it parked, did you have any deterrent devices eg locks?

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

cheese eats mouse posted:

Another stolen scooter. I'm pretty much done dealing with this poo poo. Hopefully insurance pays ok. Just going to take the money and walk away.

If I may ask, and I'm certainly not trying to imply a lack of concern, but how was it secured? A 50-150cc scooter is ridiculously easy to walk away with. I alway keep my 150 Piaggios and my 125 Aero chained to something solid with a 13mm chain lock, or if I'm making a quick run to the store, a half-inch shielded bike cable lock. Both locks are fairly expensive (I want to say I paid $80 US for the cable, $90 US for the chain), but last forever and are effective for bicycles and scooters. If you don't want to give up riding, may I also suggest a heavier bike? Maybe a maxi-scooter or a full sized motorcycle? Basically, do anything to make it more difficult to steal.

e: Because you can't prevent anyone from stealing it if they really want to. The key is making them not want to. That means urinating on your seat and grips regularly before going into any shop or cafe. In full view of a crowd, if possible.

Mushika fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 19, 2014

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I didn't really have anything to lock it to until I got my a/c unit installed. I was going to chain it to the a/c unit cages, but they got to it before I could move it. It was tucked away in the alley between mine and my neighbors house. I had full comprehensive because I knew it was more of a matter of time, I just thought I had more time. No sympathies really expected.

I'm planning on moving across country next year and I need a newer car more than a scooter right now so I was going to put the money towards that. I might actually be getting back more than I paid for it. It needed a new electric start and new body pieces too (if I was ever going to sell it I would replace those) since I low-sided it. I think it sat sitting more than I rode it this past year due to various issues and no way to really get it to the shop to fix because I don't know anyone with a truck or trailer, so it was becoming more of pain in my rear end to deal with than something fun.

Just going to pedal bike everywhere this year. I need the exercise anyway.

Magicpokey
Feb 16, 2011
So, I think I'm in the right place for this question, but if I'm not please link me to the correct forum.

Anyway, I bought a 50cc Gator scooter for my last semester of school (I know, a lovely Chinese copy of an already awful bike, but I only need it for 9 weeks and it was $300 on craigslist)

It has been running fine, I keep it in an insulated shed at night and whatnot, but this morning the kickstart got stuck in the down position. I know this is probably the spring breaking or coming loose but I have tried twice to reset it and I just cant get the drat thing to work. The kickstarter vibrates something awful when I try to start it and I don't want to push it for fear of damaging my motor.

Can I just remove the kickstart assembly and put the empty case back on and use the electric start? Will this bike (in the loosest sense of the word) even run without a kickstart? I know next to nothing about automotive repair. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: VVVVV I took off the kickstarter and wound up having to change the spark plug, but now she runs great. Thanks!!!

Magicpokey fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 23, 2014

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
You'll have to undo a bunch of bolts on your transmission case but yeah, the kick start assembly is easily removed. If your electric start works reliably, then I don't see the problem.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
We're becoming RV fulltimers in one month and my lady has shown interest in us getting a 49cc for errands and random roaming. We'll have a toad car as well, but I will be working and may need to daily drive it.

In a situation where we are getting a very 'starter' scooter (she's never ridden), is a China Special ride really that awful of an idea? Not that I don't appreciate the quality of Honda/Yamaha, and I am actually following a Zuma lead as well, buuuuuut....I'm wondering if maybe it'd be smarter to test the waters with a cheap cheap 49, to make sure she isn't like terrified of it or whatever, and then selling it to some kid for a couple hundo and considering a name-brand 125/150 after she's got the chops to get licensed. Is this just a colossally stupid approach? Note that I am handy with a wrench and am confident I can maintain one of these, but I dunno if I'll be up poo poo creek when a taotao blows its belt and I'm 500 miles from the dealer I bought it from or whatever.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you're treating it as pretty much a disposable item that you're going to sell off in a few months instead of something to keep for a while, I don't see much of a problem. Being a mechanic is helpful but I understand the main issue with the Chinese scooters is that there is basically zero parts availability. So when something breaks, all your mechanical knowledge won't help you unless you're also a good enough fabricator to mill out a new one from aluminum stock or whatever.

Maybe someone knows if there are "good" Chinese scooter brands or at least ones that have something resembling a dealer network? Either way, I would definitely suggest a proper Japanese 125+ eventually just because 50cc power is...underwhelming.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
I wouldn't mess with Chinese at ALL. I would, however, think about getting a tier two brand. Sym & Kymco have pretty good reputations and dealer networks, and you may be able to find a few of those for a reasonable price on craigslist. I just sold my Tomos Nitro (Sym rebrand) for $1k flat (bought it for $800 last year), and it had zero mechanical issues for 1.5k miles of a 300 lbs man driving it like a madman. That way, you're not overinvested if she doesn't care for it, but you're not stuck with a shitbox for any period at all.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Once you consider resale values, depreciation, and possible repair costs, the total cost of ownership of a Chinese scooter may not compare favorably to a Japanese or Taiwanese one.

Plus the experience of riding a lovely Chinese death trap may not encourage one to keep riding.

I'd agree with looking at SYM and Kymco, there are some great deals on used ones since they don't carry the name recognition of Honda or Yamaha.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Don't forget Genuine

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Dead Pressed posted:

I wouldn't mess with Chinese at ALL.
This. We work on them occasionally at the shop. They are manufactured to a standard so poor it is unknown in other motor vehicles. They are the internal combustion equivalent of dollar-store items. Worse than early-80s American cars, probably worse than Yugos, although I can't really claim to have worked on a Yugo. They are irredeemably bad. Maybe you'll get one that'll go for a few thousand miles through luck, but there's a very good chance you'll have flushed the $700 you spent on it down the toilet before it even starts for the first time. If you're worried whether you might not use the bike and might want to get rid of it, get a used name-brand scooter in good condition, anything Japanese or Kymco/Sym or Genuine, or even Vespa/Piaggio, and then just sell it for what you paid a year later.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Cool, thanks for the opinions. We're going to look at the Sym/Kymco/Genuines if I can't scare up a Yamaha or Honda here locally!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Scooter has been found. Waiting for a damage report and if they found it. Insurance seems to actually be wanting to help. Part of me wants to ride again.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I have a 2007 Ruckus that's been sitting in a garage for about 3 years now. Other than getting the old gas out, putting a new battery in, and cleaning the carbs, what other maintenance am I likely facing to get it running again?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

New tires because the old ones might be dried out, and oil as a matter of course, but that should be it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Oof, yeah tires are probably shot, it spent a year outside in a covered shed. Thanks, time to order some stuff and get wrenchin.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
Clean the carb(s), get rid of the old gas and put fresh stuff in, new oil and new battery. A new spark plug wouldn't hurt either to help you along. Make sure it runs first then put new tires and replace any other fluids. Any cables may be a little stiff too.

If it was running before it was parked, shouldn't take too much to get it running again. Just a little time and love.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I think Rucks have a fuel pump that might not react well to 3 year old ethanol gas. Just FYI if you have issues getting it going.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I think Rucks have a fuel pump that might not react well to 3 year old ethanol gas. Just FYI if you have issues getting it going.

That'd basically be varnish at this point so yea prolly not.

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

smile :]
I replaced the headlamp bulb on my Scarabeo.

I fixed something. I am invincible.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I removed the Chinese steering stem on the Ruckus because it never fit well and the forks sucked. I decided to be cheap and instead of simply replacing it, removed all of the balls from the bottom bearing, cleaned the metal shavings out of it, reassembled and repacked it with grease. Then I got myself NCY forks and a matching brake kit.

I installed the forks first. The brake disc itself was kind of a pain in the balls to replace because I had smartly stuck speedometer sensor magnets in the allen bolt holes of the retaining bolts for the old disc brake.

Since I reused the Vento wheel and speedometer gear as a spacer, I needed to add a second spacer to the axle on the brake side to center the wheel, as the NCY shocks are asymmetrical. The speedometer side juts inward to make contact with the NCY speedometer gear.

I then needed longer bolts and washers to make up for the difference in brake disc locations between the Vento and NCY wheels. I'm happier with it than I was with the old setup but it hasn't been without its share of problems. First, I couldn't pressurize the system because the brake handle was shaped incorrectly so that the plunger on the master cylinder could not retract all the way and the momentary switch was not making full contact. I had to do a lot of filing to get the handle to fit. I also discovered a slight leak in the master cylinder at the banjo bolt. Hopefully this can be corrected with some rubber lined pressure sealing washers. I also need to figure out how to attach speedometer sensor magnets on the brake disc. I'm thinking of getting magnetic bolts, but the ones I've seen look like they'd make contact with the brake caliper.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Scooter was a total loss. Buying a newer car with the money. Some other time scooting friends. :(

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

I removed the Chinese steering stem on the Ruckus because it never fit well and the forks sucked. I decided to be cheap and instead of simply replacing it, removed all of the balls from the bottom bearing, cleaned the metal shavings out of it, reassembled and repacked it with grease. Then I got myself NCY forks and a matching brake kit.

I installed the forks first. The brake disc itself was kind of a pain in the balls to replace because I had smartly stuck speedometer sensor magnets in the allen bolt holes of the retaining bolts for the old disc brake.

Since I reused the Vento wheel and speedometer gear as a spacer, I needed to add a second spacer to the axle on the brake side to center the wheel, as the NCY shocks are asymmetrical. The speedometer side juts inward to make contact with the NCY speedometer gear.

I then needed longer bolts and washers to make up for the difference in brake disc locations between the Vento and NCY wheels. I'm happier with it than I was with the old setup but it hasn't been without its share of problems. First, I couldn't pressurize the system because the brake handle was shaped incorrectly so that the plunger on the master cylinder could not retract all the way and the momentary switch was not making full contact. I had to do a lot of filing to get the handle to fit. I also discovered a slight leak in the master cylinder at the banjo bolt. Hopefully this can be corrected with some rubber lined pressure sealing washers. I also need to figure out how to attach speedometer sensor magnets on the brake disc. I'm thinking of getting magnetic bolts, but the ones I've seen look like they'd make contact with the brake caliper.

I can hook you up with 13in wheels set and the proper paioli fork and brembo brakes if you need, might be able to to find you a set for rear discs conversion as well

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Turns out what you said previously about not being able to use overrange transmissions was true.

Thankfully these are available and I could swap most stuff over from my current engine.

I'd take you up on your offer though if shipping something that heavy from Europe wasn't very expensive.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Turns out what you said previously about not being able to use overrange transmissions was true.

Thankfully these are available and I could swap most stuff over from my current engine.

I'd take you up on your offer though if shipping something that heavy from Europe wasn't very expensive.

if shipping is not insanelly expensive I have that crankcase I could sell you for cheap it's been sandblasted and polished.

Sh4 fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 1, 2014

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Disclaimer: I'm an idiot with anything mechanical. Actually I'm an idiot, period. If I'm being an idiot, let me know. Now that being said:

Are electric scooters any good?

Are used scooters any good?

I'm looking for something cheap to get a scooter license on. You know just a something before I go with a decent gas model for commuting. I don't want to invent too much in case I don't like it.

Last question: Scooters sold without batteries. Is it a good idea to gamble on those? (I presume not!)

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Electric scooters are fine but they are either very slow or very expensive. A used one would be a better bet.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

open24hours posted:

Electric scooters are fine but they are either very slow or very expensive. A used one would be a better bet.

A used gas one would be a better bet. Also, don't get anything Chinese, or anything you're not sure it's not Chinese.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Post what kind of electric scooter you're thinking of getting. Most I've seen are Chinese. I owned a Chinese gas scooter and the electrical components were the worst part. I couldn't imagine an all-electric model would be remotely less bad.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Is this a Ruckus clone? I only ask because the gauges engine and shock look really wrong, and I've been riding my ruck for 7 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Old Man Pants posted:

Is this a Ruckus clone? I only ask because the gauges engine and shock look really wrong, and I've been riding my ruck for 7 years.

As far as I know it's a genuine ruckus but he swapped his asian scooter bits on it, a ventus I think ?