Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
It looks like they crowdsourced it to DeviantArt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Guyver posted:

Good news! The new J9 series' site is up. http://jinraiger.com/

Bad news! It looks loving terrible.

Woah there! It's like looking at one of those cheap "How to Draw Mecha/Manga!!" books.

Also, is one of the villains really called "Pandora Hipburn"???

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

XenaXena the Galaxy Pantheress :allears:

edit: there's nearly two years before it'll air so these are very likely really early designs.

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 12, 2014

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

The designs on the individual character pages look much better. I'm more concerned about the fact that Stein is Isaac Mk II, even more than Stecken in Baxinger. I suppose it's still two years to actual airing though, there's room for change.

Also, gently caress yeah synchron cores. Expect more impossible car > spaceship > giant fuckoff robot transformations.

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW
goatman was here

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 12, 2014

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Race Realists posted:

the upper earth episodes of dunbine are the most pants-on-head retarded parts of dunbine and now that im up to 32 im just going to have to soldier on through to the end :smith:

so... can i use this thead to talk about how depressed i am about dunbine's ending? i knew it was coming, but still man... still..:smith: I've seen all of ideon, but the deaths here have a bit more weight on account of the writing being stronger than the former.

would it be safe to call tomino the japanese george rr martain?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Race Realists posted:

so... can i use this thead to talk about how depressed i am about dunbine's ending? i knew it was coming, but still man... still..:smith: I've seen all of ideon, but the deaths here have a bit more weight on account of the writing being stronger than the former.

would it be safe to call tomino the japanese george rr martain?

It's really more that Martin is the American Tomino. Tomino's been at it for a bit longer.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Well, that and Tomino has made some funny/happy stuff even around the same time as his dark stuff. For every Zambot 3 and Ideon there's stuff like Daitarn 3 and Xabungle :v:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Also, about the dunbine ending What exactly did shiela mean when she said to they were returning to byston well? she made it abundantly clear she was going to self destruct

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It's been a long time since I watched Dunbine so I might be off on this. When you die on Earth your soul goes to Byston Well.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
so it's like stephen king's Dark Tower. Got it.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

If anyone knows Italian the dub of Srungle showed up on Nyaa the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks-2qvDm-Sg

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The people at SMG have finally released chapters 104 and 105 of Linebarrels of Iron.
http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/kurogane-no-linebarrel-r1555

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So today I watched the Mazinkaiser movie and man despite being pretty nicely animated and having some emotional moments, overall I have to say it's probably the crappiest mecha anime I've seen in a long time, not to mention horribly inconsistent(Mazinger Army units are barely capable of damaging or killing Mikene yet conventional missiles are), needlessly grim and violent, and despite being only about an hour in length it feels way too long(seriously it's about 45 minutes longer than it needs to be, you can tell they only had about 15 minutes of plot written so they padded it out badly), indeed there's only two good things I can say about this turd; it had good music, and once Mazinkaiser shows up the last fight scenes are pretty good(although he steamrolls the Generals too easily for my taste), overall on a 10 scale I'd rate this movie a 3 out of 10

PS almost forgot, the most damning thing about this movie is that we didn't get even a cameo of a Kedora, despite there being multiple points in the movie for one of those to show(I really like those greebly little monsters)

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 09:14 on May 20, 2014

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

drrockso20 posted:

PS almost forgot, the most damning thing about this movie is that we didn't get even a cameo of a Kedora, despite there being multiple points in the movie for one of those to show(I really like those greebly little monsters)

Kedora was created by Ken Ishikawa in a one shot manga, it's not really a proper Mazinger Z concept. Shin Mazinger ran with it because Imagawa gives no fucks about things like that, as he was assembling disparate parts of various Go Nagai stories as it was. Damning a movie that was essentially a retelling of Mazinger Z vs the Great General of Darkness with Kaiser taking Great's place for not including a different author's side story is silly.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

AzraelNewtype posted:

Kedora was created by Ken Ishikawa in a one shot manga, it's not really a proper Mazinger Z concept. Shin Mazinger ran with it because Imagawa gives no fucks about things like that, as he was assembling disparate parts of various Go Nagai stories as it was. Damning a movie that was essentially a retelling of Mazinger Z vs the Great General of Darkness with Kaiser taking Great's place for not including a different author's side story is silly.

Had no idea about Ishikawa creating the Kedora, also I wasn't being serious about that part, although you bring up a good point about how horribly Great Mazinger jobs in that movie despite them making a point that the true Great Mazinger is almost as strong as Mazinkaiser in the series(also I find it hilarious how little the two guy members of the Mazinger Army matter, all they do is show up and die they don't even kill anything and don't even show up in the grave scene in the end credits, they were basically only there to wank off the Mikene)

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I just shotgunned all of Orguss over the last 3 or 4 days. God drat did that final episode turn depressing really fast.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
The conclusion of Orguss is quite depressing, but I believe the epilogue is meant to compensate for that.

Depending on how you interpret things, of course, and I did take a while to fully come to terms with it.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

wielder posted:

The conclusion of Orguss is quite depressing, but I believe the epilogue is meant to compensate for that.

Depending on how you interpret things, of course, and I did take a while to fully come to terms with it.

I mean, the epilogue is pretty upbeat, but it comes at the cost of the Kei + Olson/Orson pair who actually went into the Major Singularity (and experienced the events of the series) having to die in the process without actually getting to say goodbye.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Now you just have to watch Orguss 02! :v:

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

I mean, the epilogue is pretty upbeat, but it comes at the cost of the Kei + Olson/Orson pair who actually went into the Major Singularity (and experienced the events of the series) having to die in the process without actually getting to say goodbye.

That's why I did feel a fair bit sad as well, but their counterparts in the other dimensions should be happy enough once everything goes back to normal.

Gyra_Solune posted:

Oh, I'm slightly conflicted about that one. It's actually a more entertaining watch than the original show (Lt. Manning really steals the spotlight) and almost entirely works on its own. But the connections they do try to establish come across as more than a little forced and unnecessary.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Gyra_Solune posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlLFNM_1o-8

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

I was like "Hey... the dubbing isn't so bad, I don't know wha--- HOLY loving poo poo WHAT DID HE JUST SAY?!" :stonk:

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Gammatron 64 posted:

I was like "Hey... the dubbing isn't so bad, I don't know wha--- HOLY loving poo poo WHAT DID HE JUST SAY?!" :stonk:

That was my reaction as well. :stare: Is that actually translated from the original dialogue or something they added in the dubbing?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I sure get sick of playing the good guy all the time. :stare:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

Revolver Bunker posted:

That was my reaction as well. :stare: Is that actually translated from the original dialogue or something they added in the dubbing?

GorfZaplen posted:

I sure get sick of playing the good guy all the time. :stare:

Have none of you seen that video before? :lol:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Have none of you seen that video before? :lol:

Nope :stare:

I have to ask, is this normal for the series or does it come out of left field like it seems from the clip? :stare:

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Mikl posted:

I have to ask, is this normal for the series or does it come out of left field like it seems from the clip? :stare:

Well, the dude absolutely likes to mess around with people and is something of a jerk in general.

I can't speak for whatever were the exact words spoken in Japanese, but the attitude is in-character for him.

He's a lot of fun to watch, even without the dub.

wielder fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 30, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mikl posted:

That character is kind of a mercenary arsehole, but that line is as completely out of left field and there's nothing else like that anywhere else in the show.

Orguss 02 is a good series.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
That video is exactly why I brought Orguss 02 up~

(also because I am messing around with fanfic SRW shenanigans and Orguss 02 slots well in with the Turn A core plot)

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I work at a campground and we have a bunch of golf carts. Several of them are labelled J#, up to like J15 or something.

Every time I get J9 for work I just want to get a sticker of the logo from Bryger and slap it on there.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=563507

The episode 00 of the live action Patlabor is subbed!

Since it's an episode 00 it's something that's only worth watching if you're already a Patlabor fan since like half the runtime is Shige talking about what has happened to the original cast.

I do wish it was the first episode proper that was subbed because this doesn't even work as an episode, it's more like a bonus thing for fans. But hey, someone's finally subbing the dang thing so I can't complain.

Also the fansubber notes for this are kinda :smith:

quote:

But I'm surprised to see that no-one has jumped on subtitling Patlabor - The Next Generation yet. Considering the massive popularity of the franchise among mecha fans, as well as the way fan subtitlers always want to be on top of the latest thing, I frankly expected to see multiple groups falling over each other to subtitle this.

Ha...haha..ha.

Srice fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 12, 2014

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Every subtitler's dream project is a bunch of policemen in a darkened room watching a slideshow.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
So something very exciting seems to be happening.

https://twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/status/478659048108486658

e: more info - http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/06/16-1/discotek-media-licenses-shin-mazinger-z-impact

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I know Great-hen is never coming, but at least now I'll be able to own that wonderful show.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Maybe it'll be really successful with english speaking audiences and that'll prompt them to make Great-hen.

Shut up, let me keep my delusions just a little longer. :smith:

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
They also got Orguss!

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

But not the previously discussed Orguss 02...or at least not yet.

Still, any day that Shin Mazinger gets at least a tiny little bit of more exposure is a great day.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Super robot anime in the west is saved! :unsmith:

Time for me to really push Shin Mazinger on my friends once I get those discs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

/m/-subs has finished subbing SPT Layzner after five years.

http://msubsreleases.wordpress.com/2014/06/21/spt-layzner-1-38-batch-featuring-acr/

I've been waiting for this since the time skip and it's finally here.

• Locked thread