Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I can see how focus could be an issue if there's a big melee going on and you want to capture everyone, but keep in mind most of us are thinking from a traditional sports perspective where the subject is going to be one person, maybe two, and a ball. In these cases shallow depth of field and a little bit of blur is extremely desirable because it focuses attention where it needs to be. My opinion is you'd get better quality photos overall if you didn't try to get everything in a single frame, but if that's not what you want to do there's no set of laws requiring you to stick to convention. :v:

Run the highest f-stop and fastest shutter you can get away with, it's the only way to maximize what's in focus. If you're still getting too many blurry photos a faster focusing lens may be in order, but you're photographing humans at midday so I question that you would need a top of the line lens to freeze action. Plus, I got no recommendations for your camera. Maybe ask in the gear thread.

Consider a monopod too, it might help with any natural hand shake you got going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Kylaer posted:

Thank you for the advice. I will experiment with manually assigning the settings, although my personal preference is to eliminate motion blur as much as possible, and a lot of the time I want a deep depth of field because I'm trying to take in multiple things happening simultaneously during team games. One on one, what you say about a shallow depth being better makes sense, but usually there's not just one point of interest.

I have no experience shooting this kind of event, but one thing I would try to do is using the DoF to frame certain things. Now I know you say you have multiple things happening simultaneously, but if you focus on different things the pictures would be alot more interesting (at least that is what I think). If there's too much happening I wouldn't know what to look at.

It would be cool to shoot an event like this though.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
What I normally do is try to capture as much as I can and then I trim out areas of interest
Sometimes I can clip multiple interesting pictures out of a single wide shot if I'm really lucky.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Kylaer posted:

What I normally do is try to capture as much as I can and then I trim out areas of interest
Sometimes I can clip multiple interesting pictures out of a single wide shot if I'm really lucky.

I rarely take wide shots as an action photographer. I do, but it’s rare. Reason being is you have way too much going on. I want to single something out and show it.

If you look at academia (I’ll link articles if needed) and the relationship behind framing and psychology, you see a connection between them. When we show people things close up, it provides not only an uncommon view that people don’t get to see very often, but also helps establish emotional connection.

How we frame a subject is much like how we would talk to someone. If we barely know the person, we are going to frame them at legs to head. That’s basically the view we would have right? Waving hello to an apartment neighbor or something. Framing closer, like sitting next to a friend, is going to eliminate the legs and focus on the waist up. You are wanting to establish a feeling of familiarity with this person because of whatever reason. The viewer can choose to reject or accept the relationship but you are the one who dictates it. Now think of your lover. Think of how close you get when you talk during close encounters. These are the close ups on the eyes that show emotions. Angles that are low have a view of stoicism and heroics versus towering over an inferior person shot from above. Even Shaq looks tiny when shot from above. Maybe that’s the point of the photo too.

Frame things to show action and create that relationship. Try to make it so that even if you don’t know what the sport is (or whatever) that the narrative nature of the photo explains it. Don’t be afraid to get close, far away, to experiment and to fail. I have to “Aw gently caress!” delete photos every shoot.

When editing, make sure you show what you need to show and eliminate all other distractions. Try not to cut off people at joints. Make sure the subject is in focus (I am guilty of this) and be creative. Edit what looks good to you. Remember that most people will give your photo a glance and move on. You need to arrest their attention by showing what you want to show. Sometimes the cool stuff going on in the background isn’t worth distracting from the even better stuff in the foreground.

I’m positive you’ll do great. I’d love to see more. I used to do fairs as a young kid and had sword fighting come in handy during basic training. It was awesome. Sorry for the wall of text.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I've done some LARP photography - I used to be part of the team that ran one of the biggest fest-scale systems in Europe.

To add to what the others said, get close. Good event photography is very much like good sports photography. You want to show action and reaction. Big wide shots of a melée are kind of dull after the first one or two. There's no focus and nothing to draw you in. Use a longer lens and get close, tightly framed shots. Show faces and how people are reacting to the events around them, show the dynamics between fighters in a combat. Be aware of your background too. I don't know where you are doing the events, but try to find an angle that doesn't show anachronistic stuff like cars or modern buildings. I was lucky in that most of my events took place in the grounds around various castles or inside mediaeval buildings, but even a bit of open space with grass and trees is better than a car park.

Try getting unposed portraits of people with particularly nice kit too. Again, you'll want to be using a longer lens so as not to intrude and to avoid the subject reacting to your camera. Some great images can come from opportunistic shots of players on the sidelines, or tired fighters taking a rest under a tree.

P1010853 by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_8459 by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Took photos of today's last game of the season (I think). Baseball has a few more. I think this means I'll be spending a lot of time at the skatepark, and asking to shoot rugby games as they come up.

album:https://imgur.com/a/DEIAO71

Soulex fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 6, 2018

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I think I took some really good ones today. Problem is, two of them were for the other team.

Like this:

And this:

Others were like this

Album is worth checking out. I feel like I had a good game. So did they, home runs out of nowhere sealed it.

https://imgur.com/a/WhXt2Dh

Soulex fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 7, 2018

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I hope non-pro photos are ok in this thread. I've never really shot sports before (except for 30 years ago when I shot student paper/yearbook one year in high school), but finally made it to an Oakland A's game last month. I went with someone who's kid was part of a youth orchestra doing the national anthem so I was going to bring my super old but portable bridge camera to get a few shots of him on the field. Whoops, forgot to charge the batteries, so I guess I'll have to stuff my DSLR and 70-300 in my backpack. And the nice thing about A's games is you can start pretty close, and by the end of the game end up practically on the field.

If you've seen my stuff in Dorkroom you know I mostly do wildlife. The game I went to went 14 innings and I can't imagine the concentration necessary to make sure you get the key moment and not just a generic pitch or hitters stance. Sports photography looks fun as hell but exhausting to have to go through thousands of photos from every game.

Anyway, some photos.

Post Catch Reaction-2716 on Flickr

Abreu Grounder-2724 on Flickr

Mini Umpire-2733 on Flickr

Home Run Celebration-2818on Flickr

Throw from Left Field-2877 on Flickr

Little Fan-2961 on Flickr

Fan Dancing-3055 on Flickr

Lowrie Foul-3073 on Flickr

Rendon of the Red Hand-3140 on Flickr

Black Panther Sprint-3182 on Flickr

Fly Ball-3221 on Flickr

Number 62-3238 on Flickr

Davis-3251 on Flickr

Olson watching his hit-3414 on Flickr

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah, Baseball is hard for me especially because I can't sit down. My legs make it hard for me to stay mobile and upright for long periods of time. It's also pretty boring waiting for action. You probably noticed the ball doesn't like to show up for many frames. However, getting that action is awesome as hell.

I am definitely not a pro, and I know Azathosk is but not sure who else. Doesn't matter, just post. This thread is my favorite place in the citadel.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

For shots from the stands those aren't bad at all! You might delete that last one since Olson isn't in focus, but those are pretty solid given the circumstances.

Post all you like :cheers:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Cool, thanks! By the 10th inning I was 2nd row above the home dugout, so I wasn't that far from where the photographers were. I'm sure if you know what to look for you can tell I was shooting through the netting but I'd rather it was there than not.

Anyway, hoping to make it back soon. My album got my in-laws excited about another trip. They are Giants fans but it's more of a commitment to get over there.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I took the advice I was given and I think it worked better. Set my shutter speed to 1/1000, extended the lens to 55mm and left everything else auto. The lighting was bad (subjects mostly in the shade with bright sunlight backgrounds) but I'm happier with these results than my previous ones.

Thank you all. (I still want a better camera though :rolleye: )

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

The best camera is the one you have on you. Don't let her acquisition syndrome get too bad.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a reason photographers hate noon on cloudless days. It turns everything into a pain in the rear end high contrast headache.

You can still get good results, it's just frustrating.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I went to do an interview today at my school's athletic department for an internship. The hallway has these giant photos of players and stuff. All a couple of seasons old.

We are conducting the interview when one person starts talking about fan interaction and stuff. He points behind me to show me a picture he likes as an example.

It was my picture. He was flabbergasted. It was an incredibly awesome feeling to see people react to your work.

I got the spot, and they actually created a spot to accommodate me. There is also talk about making me the in house photographer next semester/year. They want to use my abilities and were super stoked on my work.

Just wanted to share. I like this feeling.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

cherish that feeling, it's a great one

Congrats! :cheers:

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Soulex posted:

I went to do an interview today at my school's athletic department for an internship. The hallway has these giant photos of players and stuff. All a couple of seasons old.

We are conducting the interview when one person starts talking about fan interaction and stuff. He points behind me to show me a picture he likes as an example.

It was my picture. He was flabbergasted. It was an incredibly awesome feeling to see people react to your work.

I got the spot, and they actually created a spot to accommodate me. There is also talk about making me the in house photographer next semester/year. They want to use my abilities and were super stoked on my work.

Dude, that's pretty loving awesome.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Thanks guys. I also, incidentally, got my first real paying gig today. He mentioned he might take me on for future assignments.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Soulex posted:

Congratulations! That's really, really awesome! Happy for you! :)

Edit: I'm going to add some pictures as well!

Vålerenga Fotball - FK Haugesund 06.05.2018 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

azathosk fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 25, 2018

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
I'm considering getting a 1D, but not sure which one. The 1D mk4 is pretty cheap used, but I'm not quite sure about the AF. 1Dx is still a bit on the expensive side, and the 1Dx mk2 is out of my reach.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Have you considered the A7III?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

my name is DJExile and I am god damned addicted to my 300mm f/4

BRW64084 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW64310 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW64363 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW64479 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW64454 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Soulex posted:

Have you considered the A7III?

I would have to change the system so it would be a bit pricier upgrade. Been considering the OM E-M1, but left it at that due to the same reason.

I really really like my 70-200...

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

DJExile posted:

my name is DJExile and I am god damned addicted to my 300mm f/4

I'm looking at one myself. You don't miss that wide aperture you get from f/2.8?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

azathosk posted:

I'm looking at one myself. You don't miss that wide aperture you get from f/2.8?

You'd think! But honestly between the absurd amount of stabilization I get with both the lens and the body, and as well as this focuses, I haven't missed it at all.

This was in very rainy conditions with bad stadium lights at iso 1000, and both were stepped down to f/5.0

BRW90027 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW90013 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

I cannot even imagine how expensive a 300mm f/2.8 on this system would be, too. Olympus did make a 300mm f/2.8 on their DSLR format and if you can still find them, they sell for over $4200 used.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

azathosk posted:

In college I shot with the Nikon 300 f/4 several times, including football games at night. It works surprisingly well and it doesn't weigh 20 pounds either.

e: Almost forgot, until about 3 years ago, I personally shot with a 70-200 f/4 until finally upgrading to the 2.8. I miss that lens sometimes, so lightweight. (Crank up that ISO, newsprint doesn't know the difference anyway :haw: )

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 28, 2018

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Frinkahedron posted:

In college I shot with the Nikon 300 f/4 several times, including football games at night. It works surprisingly well and it doesn't weigh 20 pounds either.

e: Almost forgot, until about 3 years ago, I personally shot with a 70-200 f/4 until finally upgrading to the 2.8. I miss that lens sometimes, so lightweight. (Crank up that ISO, newsprint doesn't know the difference anyway :haw: )

Yeah it helps that a lens like this weighs so relatively little. Specs say 3.25 lbs and that seems about right.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Frinkahedron posted:

drat. Now I need to get me a 300 mm f/4 to Canon. Also, I ditched the idea of getting a 1D mkIV and will be going for a EOS-1 Dx instead... It costs about $1000 more, but I get alot more out of it.

Pictures for content - Vålerenga - Lillestrøm (big derby in Norway, probably the biggest).

Vålerenga Fotball - Lillestrøm SK 26.05.17 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo that third one

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I love it. That last one too. I cant wait for football season to start back up (college)

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Thanks! Fans (that do things) are fun to shoot. That, and reactions, are the most fun to shoot on the football pitch.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
So I went ahead and got me a used 1Dx. Shutter count stopped well before 80k.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

That's nice.

I've pretty much convinced myself to get a Sony A7III whenever I do upgrade. I can buy a converter for the glass. Shooting at 5 FPS sucks. I bet the DX sounds like an automatic weapon.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/1004924380756021248

lmao this is what you get when you fire all your photographers

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

That looks like a weird as gently caress composite to me

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
That is screaming photo-illustration and not photo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's because it is, the hats they were wearing were white with grey bills with completely different text designs and if you dig around on twitter every single person on the team was drenched in champagne within about 30 seconds of the cup entering the locker room. They hung plastic sheeting on all the benches as well.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I thought all that poo poo was verboten.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

almost positive that hand is Michael Jordan's from one of his NBA championship trophy hugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/1004924380756021248

lmao this is what you get when you fire all your photographers

This is just bad.

I went out and tried my new (used) Canon EOS-1Dx yesterday. Local football, fourth tier in Norway. Oppsal vs Ullern. I love it. Haven't got around to properly set it up, but I'm looking forward to use this monster of a camera.

Oppsal - Ullern 09.06.2018 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr